Onboard the Oasis of the Seas (August 21, 2010)

Daghis

Okay, I'm not quite onboard just yet, but I got this shot from my hotel balcony (at the Embassy Suites) this morning and thought I'd try to share it with my friends here.

web.jpg

I was surprised to get such a great view of her from our room. I guess we're really lucky.

(For those interested in a technical aspect, this picture was taken with my Panasonic DMC-ZS3 camera, imported into my iPad using the iPad Camera Connection Kit, and then uploaded to MobileMe.)

I'm using the "web" size image to inline here. The next smaller size ("medium") is quite a bit smaller. I'll show that one here:

medium.jpg

Which size looks better for the post?

It's more FUN to look at the larger photo, but whichever one is more efficient for you to load will be fine! I am looking forward to viewing your photos and reliving my own experience! I sailed Oasis (Western itinerary) on July 24th. It was the most amazing cruise ever! I LOVE OASIS! :D Bon Voyage!

I'm a bit surprised that the Oasis of the Seas is the only ship in port today. I expected it to be much busier around here. Apparently, there were three ships in port last Saturday and again next Saturday, but today, she's all by herself.

She still looks magnificent, of course. :)

Which room/floor did you get at the Embassy Suites...we are staying there next week for our cruise. Take good care of her this week and enjoy. Tks.

BTW... I love to look at the large pics...but that's just me.

We're on the 12th (top) floor. While I was periodically perusing the Embassy Suites web site to look for potential price drops, I noticed a different room category come up saying "east view". Since it was the same price, I switched our reservation to that one in case it was better. Either it was indeed, or else we just got very lucky.

Great picture! You will have a blast. We were on Oasis in July and have re-booked for next year, too!! Get on board as soon as you can! We were at the terminal about 11a and the posts are true--it really took about 10-15 minutes to go thru, get your picture taken, sea pass made, everything. It was awesome! Have fun!!!

We're planning on leaving the hotel around 10:30, figuring that should get us to the pier at a reasonably early enough time to board around 11 or so.

I'm so excited! I keep leaning back while browsing the web to look over at the ship through our balcony window, just to make sure she's really there. :)

Daghis,

The Large picture was beautiful!! It looks like the hotel is right next to the pier.. Did you have telephoto zoom lens with that camera?? Amazing pics!! I just can't wait. We are leaving the house here around 10:30 am. Thanks for posting. See ya onboard!!

Lisa

Sailing Oasis Today!!! woo hoo!!!!!

Aug 21st!:)

by the way.. I have been keeping up with the other ships that pull up with her at the dock... Today she's all alone and tomorrow Carnival Freedom arrives at the dock, along with Celebrity Solstice, and the Emerald Princess. I also think Grandeur of the Seas will be there too. Carnival Freedom will be back from an 8 day cruise. We will see all those ships in port with ours next weekend when we arrive back on Sat : ( which will mean our wonderful one week cruise is over and we have to hand her over to her new happy passengers sailing on the 28th. Just wanted you to know.

Lisa

The camera has 12x optical zoom and can actually go up to 16x before it starts degrading the picture. I'd say that picture was about 8-10x.

I'm hoping to continue posting, including pictures while onboard. It will depend on how well my iPad cooperates with the ship's WiFi. This is my first trip using the iPad instead of bringing my laptop. It's an experiment for me.

I guess the smaller picture is better for posting but I sure do love the large one!!!:D It's a great shot.

We were on her in June and had a great time. We also left around 10:30 and were there in no time and through the boarding process very quickly. Would have been on her in that 10-15 minutes, but the ship was delayed in clearing customs. Either way, you will have a marvelous time.

Once when you're home, you should print that picture out and frame it!!! It's gorgious!!!

Enjoy the cruise and will be following this thread. Bon Voyage!!!:)

I'm a bit surprised that the Oasis of the Seas is the only ship in port today. I expected it to be much busier around here. Apparently, there were three ships in port last Saturday and again next Saturday, but today, she's all by herself.

She still looks magnificent, of course. :)

I think it is every other Saturday that they have 3 ships in port. I watch the web cams quite often.. I try to see them sail away but every time I try it wont let me control the camera..:eek::( oh well. Hope you enjoy your cruise. I have 100 days before I sail on the Radiance of the seas. I am counting the days I can not wait to be back on a cruise ship.

:cool::rolleyes:

What a beautiful shot! The large one is a keeper. Brings back amazing memories of our cruise 2 weeks ago (has it been that long already?).

I echo what others have said about getting to the pier and aboard the ship. We did just what you plan to do: left the hotel at 10:30, arrived at the port in 15 minutes and were in the waiting area in less than 10 minutes. Waited about 15 minutes (longest 15 minutes EVER!) and walked onto the magnificent OASIS Royal Promenade at 11:10 a.m.

Have a wonderful time. Enjoy every minute!!!:)

medium.jpg

I noticed a large crane towards the rear of the Oasis. It is on the Port side, and looks like it is positioned above the Aqua Theater. Previous posts said parts had to arrive from Europe, and a large crane for the repairs. Hopefully this is what the crane is for and "the show will go on"

Daghis,

I just can't wait. We are leaving the house here around 10:30 am. Thanks for posting. See ya onboard!!

Lisa

Sailing Oasis Today!!! woo hoo!!!!!

Aug 21st!:)

I'm sooooo jealous of the Florida residents that can leisurely leave their homes at 10:30 and drive to the pier! No worries about connecting flights, lost baggage, etc. etc. How awesome is that!! :D I'm moving!

After a quick breakfast, we decided to leave early and head to the port. We've checked in (a relatively quick and painless process as promised) and now we're waiting in the semi-comfortable waiting area. There's free coffee and lemonade for us non-suite mortals, plus vending machines for snacks. There's even a play area in the corner for kids to play.

Our friend who's joining us on our cruise didn't print out his SetSail pass before leaving home, so he had a bit more paperwork to do at check-in, but he was still done quite quickly.

I hope we'll start boarding around 11 as previous cruises have done. That's only 15 minutes away!

Archived