Onboard the Oasis of the Seas (August 21, 2010)

Daghis

We're in!!!

I'm taking a break in our Central Park view cabin and thought I'd say hello to y'all and let you know I'm already having a wonderful time! We've explored the Boardwalk, Central Park, and, of course, the Royal Promenade. We're about to go off and do some more exploring up toward the front of the ship.

For those keeping notes of happenings on board, the muster drill is at 4:15. Our muster "station" is the Royal Promenade, a very nice place to hang out and far better than waiting outside.

Also, there was a letter in our cabin advising us about the work being done on the Aquatheater. They advise that they're working on it, but shows may not be available, citing safetynto the performers involved. There wasn't any mention about potential OBC if all performances were to end up being canceled, but I'm not concerned about that whatsoever at this point.

Okay, I'm off to go enjoy more of the ship.

By the way, we got Bon Voyage stateroom decorations for our friend who's joining us on his very first cruise. He liked them a lot, saying that they were very lively and festive.

I am also in a central park view stateroom (9617) on my January Oasis cruise. What part of the Royal promenade was your muster station in? John

After a quick breakfast, we decided to leave early and head to the port. We've checked in (a relatively quick and painless process as promised) and now we're waiting in the semi-comfortable waiting area. There's free coffee and lemonade for us non-suite mortals, plus vending machines for snacks. There's even a play area in the corner for kids to play.

Our friend who's joining us on our cruise didn't print out his SetSail pass before leaving home, so he had a bit more paperwork to do at check-in, but he was still done quite quickly.

I hope we'll start boarding around 11 as previous cruises have done. That's only 15 minutes away!

hi since i am a non mortal cruiser also what time did you finally get on the ship ?

Sunday, Day 2, Part 2

It's after midnight, and I really need to get to bed! What a day it's been here.

We saw Hairspray this afternoon. I went in with a somewhat disinterested attitude since it was DH who wanted to see it, but I ended up truly enjoying the performance myself. It was well done, and just magnificent to watch as a feature show here on the Oasis of the Seas. The singing was great, the sets were creative and fun, and it was just a lot of fun altogether.

After that, we ventured back to the Royal Promenade for a quick bite at Sorrentos. The pizza was decent enough, and I'd get another slice right now if I had the gastric fortitude of my sons; at my age, eating after 10pm is certainly asking for trouble!

Tonight is formal night. We're not really into that, so we had scheduled a FlowRider lesson for 7:30. Until then, we took advantage of the emptying pool deck to explore several pools, the H2O Zone, the cantilevered whirlpool, and the Solarium. It was really nice just hanging out in those places.*

Then it was time for our lesson. I sure am beat after all that. I did a little boogie-boarding and even a couple attempts (not great, but I get points for trying :)) at stand-up surfing. Our friend did some stand-up, too, and did even better than I did for his first time! After an hour of that, it was now time to grab a quick dinner, so a quick change into some normal clothing, and then we headed up to Windjammers... just in time, too, since they were closing at 9. Mmmmm... there was some yummy food in there. I had some stir-fry noodles that were pleasingly spicy.

And for the rest of the evening, we just browsed around the ship. I just love wandering around here. This time, we walked around the jogging track a bit. I was surprised to see it on deck 5 as I'm used to seeing it up on a higher deck.

While exploring, I checked out the cabin request. Cabins 14302 and 14304 do indeed sit next to each other. The doors are adjacent in a recessed alcove. (The doors around here swing out, but are recessed from the hallway.) I have a picture to share later on. As I was taking the picture, the woman who was staying in 14304 came back. I imagine she was probably quite curious why I was taking a picture of her door!

Tomorrow is Labadee! It's going to be hot, hot, hot! The Compass shows the temperature to be around 101 degrees with a heat index of 115!!! I may set door onto the beach and turn right around and go back onto the ship! The boys and our friend are going to do the zip line, but other than that, we don't have anything planned there.

A couple other tidbits... First, the WiFi billing appears to be working just fine. When I reconnected to WiFi these past few times, the remaining credit is showing an amount that looks quite reasonable and expected.

Second, I wanted to confirm that if you buy the magic discount/promotion book from the woman who does the Port and Shopping lectures, you do get a sticker on your SeaPass card that gets you buy one, get one free drink-of-the-day. I'm planning to use this bonus everyday! :)

Let's see... Anything else I can think to share right now? Well, not now, but I'll post this and read the thread to see what I may have missed.

See y'all tomorrow from the Oasis of the Seas!

Hey, Daghis - give Barry a squeeze from me!! Enjoy your cruise, and I'd tell you to stay off the interwebs, but I'm guessing that'll work as well this time as it did last time. :)

I had a dream before we left that I ran into you on the ship and that you were surprising us by being on the same cruise as us. That would have been the ultimate surprise! I'll pass along the squeeze!

And I loves me some Internet! My t-shirt today said "E-Mail Is My Life" and for those who know my job, it's so very true!

nice pix...my question is on the ipad...concern is downloading stuff to it from my computer. how is sd card connection...I like the ipad but may wait for the toshiba or the google ones

You can sync some content from the iPad to the computer, but it's not much like a traditional computer where you can easily copy files back and forth. It only works if the particular application has some sort of way to sync the content.

The SD card connection for copying pictures (and movies) to the iPad is very easy!

Does the Oasis always sail out of Ft . Lauderdale? I have never gone out of that port yet. We are traveling next year and were looking for a hotel so if you could let me know if the Embassy Suite that you stayed in is in Ft. Lauderdale, I'd appreciate it!

Yup, always Fort Lauderdale, and that was indeed where the Embassy Suites is... on 17th Street, if I remember correctly.

hi since i am a non mortal cruiser also what time did you finally get on the ship ?

Boarding started a bit later than expected, perhaps around 11:20. I'd say we got on around 11:40 or so.

I am also in a central park view stateroom (9617) on my January Oasis cruise. What part of the Royal promenade was your muster station in? John

We have muster station E1, which is on the Royal Promenade, right where we boarded, in front of the Rising Tide Bar (well, its fountain anyway as it was up on Central Park).

Sunday, Day 2, Part 2

Second, I wanted to confirm that if you buy the magic discount/promotion book from the woman who does the Port and Shopping lectures, you do get a sticker on your SeaPass card that gets you buy one, get one free drink-of-the-day. I'm planning to use this bonus everyday! :)

Let's see... Anything else I can think to share right now? Well, not now, but I'll post this and read the thread to see what I may have missed.

Daghis thanks for taking time to share with us. Looking forward to reading all your posts andseeing your pictures.

How much does the magic discount/promotion book cost? Can you only get it when she does her port and shopping lectures?

We're on the 12th (top) floor. While I was periodically perusing the Embassy Suites web site to look for potential price drops, I noticed a different room category come up saying "east view". Since it was the same price, I switched our reservation to that one in case it was better. Either it was indeed, or else we just got very lucky.

Thanks for the info. After reading this I tried to book an "east view" apartment for our January cruise, but alas they were already gone. Will keep looking.

Tonight is formal night. We're not really into that, so we had scheduled a FlowRider lesson for 7:30. Until then, we took advantage of the emptying pool deck to explore several pools, the H2O Zone, the cantilevered whirlpool, and the Solarium. It was really nice just hanging out in those places.*

Hi Daghis, thanks for taking us along on your cruise! It's been a lot of fun reading your review, and I look forward to the rest of the week!

I'm wondering- some of your paragraphs end with an asterisk. Does this mean there is a photo forthcoming?

Sunday, Day 2, Part 2

It's after midnight, and I really need to get to bed! What a day it's been here.

We saw Hairspray this afternoon. I went in with a somewhat disinterested attitude since it was DH who wanted to see it, but I ended up truly enjoying the performance myself. It was well done, and just magnificent to watch as a feature show here on the Oasis of the Seas. The singing was great, the sets were creative and fun, and it was just a lot of fun altogether.

After that, we ventured back to the Royal Promenade for a quick bite at Sorrentos. The pizza was decent enough, and I'd get another slice right now if I had the gastric fortitude of my sons; at my age, eating after 10pm is certainly asking for trouble!

Then it was time for our lesson. I sure am beat after all that. I did a little boogie-boarding and even a couple attempts (not great, but I get points for trying :)) at stand-up surfing. Our friend did some stand-up, too, and did even better than I did for his first time! After an hour of that, it was now time to grab a quick dinner, so a quick change into some normal clothing, and then we headed up to Windjammers... just in time, too, since they were closing at 9. Mmmmm... there was some yummy food in there. I had some stir-fry noodles that were pleasingly spicy.

And for the rest of the evening, we just browsed around the ship. I just love wandering around here. This time, we walked around the jogging track a bit. I was surprised to see it on deck 5 as I'm used to seeing it up on a higher deck.

While exploring, I checked out the cabin request. Cabins 14302 and 14304 do indeed sit next to each other. The doors are adjacent in a recessed alcove. (The doors around here swing out, but are recessed from the hallway.) I have a picture to share later on. As I was taking the picture, the woman who was staying in 14304 came back. I imagine she was probably quite curious why I was taking a picture of her door!

Tomorrow is Labadee! It's going to be hot, hot, hot! The Compass shows the temperature to be around 101 degrees with a heat index of 115!!! I may set door onto the beach and turn right around and go back onto the ship! The boys and our friend are going to do the zip line, but other than that, we don't have anything planned there.

A couple other tidbits... First, the WiFi billing appears to be working just fine. When I reconnected to WiFi these past few times, the remaining credit is showing an amount that looks quite reasonable and expected.

Strong work there my friend !! I really appreciate you taking the time to not only scope that out for us, but to take a pic as well that I can see.....I was going to ask you about maybe doing that, but I figured that would be too tall of an order :p To bad the lady didn't invite you in for a photo shoot......I would of then had the bonus plan for sure :)

Thanks again.....I will watch for the pic when ya get a chance

How much does the magic discount/promotion book cost? Can you only get it when she does her port and shopping lectures?

It's $25 for the book. Not founding the various promotions that are included at the ports, the cost makes up for itself after 4 drinks-of-the-day.

You can certainly get it from her right after the lecture, but also anytime that she's manning her desk on the Royal Promenade. That's when we got it, so we could use it for the drink promotion on Saturday, rather than waiting until her lecture on Sunday.

I'm wondering- some of your paragraphs end with an asterisk. Does this mean there is a photo forthcoming?

That's strange. It must be an artifact of the copy-and-pasting I'm doing from the Notes app on the iPad. I figured I'd write up my long notes offline, then connect and post them, thus using less WiFi time. I'm actually using less time than I thought I would. I've still got $130 out of my $150 package (at $0.30/minute) left. I guess I need to do some more serious web surfing... while drinking something refreshing, of course!

Thank you for the live thread while you are on vacation. I love reading this and hearing about all the wonderful things on the Oasis. We will be heading out in 10 days and can't wait! A quick question, on this shopping book that you mentioned, are you entitled to one buy one get one free drink a day, or is that unlimited? Sounds like you are having a wonderful time. Don't get sunburned in Labadee!

You can certainly get it from her right after the lecture, but also anytime that she's manning her desk on the Royal Promenade. That's when we got it, so we could use it for the drink promotion on Saturday, rather than waiting until her lecture on Sunday.

I had been wondering this. Where is her desk? How is it marked? Is there only one desk to be found at the Royal Promenade? I would like to buy this coupon book right away.

Thanks for taking the time to do a live report!

I had a dream before we left that I ran into you on the ship and that you were surprising us by being on the same cruise as us. That would have been the ultimate surprise! I'll pass along the squeeze!

Don't I wish!!! Hubby has zero interest in doing the Caribbean again anytime soon - though I did convince him to do the Med next spring. I'm hoping that once we do the Med he'll be more interested, since Celebrity is putting their new Solstice-class ship (Silhouette) in NJ for Caribbean sailings, and I'd kind of like to do a Southern. With the port so close to home, it's really, really tempting. :)

And I loves me some Internet! My t-shirt today said "E-Mail Is My Life" and for those who know my job, it's so very true!

Just 'cause it's true doesn't mean I have to like it!! :)

is it me but the oasis only have 5 day cruises thats too short

Not sure what you're trying to say here with this long sentence......are you saying the Oasis only does 5 day cruises? Is that what you're saying? Because they go out for 7 night cruises 95% of the time (or more)

Thanks for taking us along with you!!! We sail on her in a little less than 4 weeks.

I just read from someone who was just got off of the Majesty and they have a beer bucket special. The poster said the first bucket was $35 for 8 beers and it comes with a colapsable cooler and each refill is $25. Can you tell me if they are offering the same thing on the Oasis? If you can't no big deal we will be there soon enough.

Enjoy the rest of your cruise!!!!

Donna

Archived