Sistine Chapel Exit Question

LouiseSeth

After our Vatican Museum Tour, we hope to exit out that small door on the right (I think it's on the right - please correct me if I'm wrong) to the Basilica. If for some reason we don't have time to tour St. Peter's, can we simply get out of the security line and go over to the actual square? I'm not entirely sure where this door will exit to. Thank you for your help!

Tammy

Yes, the "short cut" door is on the right. When you go through it, you'll walk down a corridor (maybe there is a turn somewhere, I can't recall, but it's easy to follow....) and you'll end up in the foyer of St Peters. You will bypass the security line this way and you can walk right into the Basilica. It'd be a shame not to at least walk inside and do a 10-15 minute walk around.

However, if time doesn't permit, you can easily enter the square rather than the basilica. If I recall correctly, the square will be to the left of where you end up and the doors into the basilica on the right.

Yes you can but as pointed out the door you are referring to is supposed to be for tours only. When we went we were with a tour but from what I have been told, they rarely enforce it. In all the chaos in the Sistine Chapel, they really can't tell who is with a tour and who is not.

Kirk

The only time they will give you a problem is if you rented audio guides. If you have audio guides you must return them at the main entrance where you got them, which means retracing your steps through the museums and exiting where you came in, which is blocks away from St. Peter's.

Archived