Will their be friends for our 18yr old son

CNJMILTZ

I'm pretty sure there will be folks within his age group that he'll meet. You can go to the "Roll Call" for your ship and sailing, and start talking to other passengers on your exact cruise. There's an entire board dedicated to "Roll Call" on this site!

On Med cruises, there are fewer kids than usual and many of them non-English speaking, but there should be a few English speaking kids around your son's age. Here's the thing, Med cruises are drastically different from other cruises because they are highly port intensive. On a 7 day cruise you may have 1 sea day and on a 14 day cruise you may have 2 sea days. All the other days of the cruise, you will be getting off the ship around 8am and coming back around 5pm. You will be tired. Your son will be tired. I've done 2 Med cruises and I generally was in bed by 9 or 10 pm due to being so exhausted. However, these cruises are incredibly rewarding because you see a lot. On our last cruise, one of the families we met at cruise critic was traveling with their 21 year old daughter. She spent the days on tours with us and the evenings the family would go to the pool/hottub and then have dinner, maybe go to a show, go to bed and then get up the next morning and go again. I'm sure some kids "hang out" on the ship, but I suspect you son will quickly realize he needs his rest in order to enjoy the next day and not hold up the group.

If you are going on a "Brit" oriented line such as P&O or Thompson you will probably find some other college-age kids in September. If its a line more popular with us Americans (such as Princess, RCI, Celebrity, etc) there will be few, if any, young adults in that age group because the University's in the states are usually back to school by late August.

Hank

Hi

We're thinking of taking a Mediterranean cruise next September before our son goes away to University. Will there be any similar aged passengers?

Thanks for any help/advice.

Christine

This is really difficult to answer, Christine....schools are back, so that's the under 18s out of it...It could be full of pre- Unis. or completely empty. I like the ideas presented here of checking the roll-calls, and Facebook. Which line were you planning?

Jo.

Thank you so much for all your replies, it was really helpful. However, we have booked a cruise today on Carnival magic for 14th August so there will be lots of teenagers. Carnival Magic seemed a lot cheaper than other cruise lines in the Med. We sailed with Celebrity this year and RCI last year and thoroughly enjoyed them. Will Carnival be comparable? Vacations-to-go give it 5.5 stars. Does anyone have any info on Carnival?

It will different from Celebrity,, perhaps more similar to RCI. Its a bit more high energy,, and less high quality ,, but that is not to say it is bad.. it is different.

For the Med I think it will be fine, as noted, you will be busy in ports most days.. so really ship is floating hotel, not destination.

Archived