tapas restaurant

dolphin lady

Looking for suggestions for any good Tapas Restaurants near Placa Catalunya or on La Ramblas.

My favorite, right next to Plaza Catalunya is Ciudad Condal:

http://www.barcelona.com/barcelona_directory/restaurants/tapas/ciudad_condal

Another great one, a bit further up , off Passeig de Gracia is Cerveceria Catalana:

http://www.barcelona.com/barcelona_directory/restaurants/tapas/cerveceria_catalana_in_barcelona

This last one is usually extremly busy, you might be better off with the first(in terms of getting seated)

Enjoy!

Here's another idea:

http://www.tapac24.com/tapac24/english/index.html

ON Las Ramblas is not a good place to find great food.

Do not confuse Las Ramblas with Rambla Catalunya another street nearby which is a bit nicer and less touristy.

BTW there are lots of good restaurants that serve Catalan food but not tapas which are not traditional for dinner in Barcelona.

We went to Cerveceria Catalana which was very highly rated on Trip Advisor. It was fabulous. It is about a fifteen minute walk from Plaza Catalunya but well worth it. We had several different tapas but the best were grilled shrimp and one the waitress recommended with slices of beef with onions and peppers…I am getting hungry right now!

Kirk

We did Casa Alfonso:

2009NCLGEM00239-vi.jpg

2009NCLGEM00240-vi.jpg

2009NCLGEM00241-vi.jpg

2009NCLGEM00243-vi.jpg

2009NCLGEM00245-vi.jpg

We had there our pre-cruise dinner:

http://casaalfonso.com/

It is a 7-minutes-walk from Placa Catalunya.

Regards

HeinBloed

This looks absolutely wonderful...the ham at the beginning won me over. I am sure we will visit this upcoming November.

Can you answer one more question...as I age my memory gets a little foggy, but...did you respond to a post about Lerwick Scotland on another board about a year or so ago? I could swear you are the gentleman who answered my question...if I am right, a belated thank you. We went to Lerwick on the NCL Jewel TA last September and had a wonderful time.

This looks absolutely wonderful...the ham at the beginning won me over. I am sure we will visit this upcoming November.

Can you answer one more question...as I age my memory gets a little foggy, but...did you respond to a post about Lerwick Scotland on another board about a year or so ago? I could swear you are the gentleman who answered my question...if I am right, a belated thank you. We went to Lerwick on the NCL Jewel TA last September and had a wonderful time.

Might be me...

Regards

HeinBloed

Another great one, a bit further up , off Passeig de Gracia is Cerveceria Catalana:

http://www.barcelona.com/barcelona_directory/restaurants/tapas/cerveceria_catalana_in_barcelona

This last one is usually extremly busy, you might be better off with the first(in terms of getting seated)

Enjoy!

How would you get to either of these restaurants from the Hotel Continental on Las Ramblas? Is it within walking distance?

Hello there,

yes there was one we went to near the top of Ramblas on the left hand side as you're walking up. Its white and I think its called "Nuria". Its nearly at the top...you'll see it. It was traditional and good food (tapas) to choose from. Our waiter spoke pigeon English and he was delightful and helpful, so we managed ok.

Good luck to you!

• 2 months later...

We tried Tapas Tapas and Taller de Tapas. The tapas at Taller were made to order so even though it takes a bit longer, the food is freshly made - it is located 5 minutes from the Picasso Museum. The Tapas Tapas branch we visited was in a great location near Casa Batllo but the food was lukewarm since everything was made ahead of time to accomodate the high number of patrons.

We went to Cerveceria Catalana which was very highly rated on Trip Advisor. It was fabulous. It is about a fifteen minute walk from Plaza Catalunya but well worth it. We had several different tapas but the best were grilled shrimp and one the waitress recommended with slices of beef with onions and peppers…I am getting hungry right now!

Kirk

Friends of ours also ate at Cerveceria Catalana and highly recommeded it. We're staying at the Silken Gran de Havana which I don't think it's too far from the restaurant. Do you have any idea if it's walking vs taxi distance?

Friends of ours also ate at Cerveceria Catalana and highly recommeded it. We're staying at the Silken Gran de Havana which I don't think it's too far from the restaurant. Do you have any idea if it's walking vs taxi distance?

The Silken Gran Havana is a 15 minute walk from las ramblas. We enjoyed the location being close enough to the Gaudi houses, Las Ramblas, and the Gothic Quarter and far enough away from the congestion. The rooftop pool is a bit small. But it's nice to be able to sit in to cool down from a long day in the heat.

Go to www.googlemaps.com and you can get walking directions from the hotel to the restaurant, you just have to put in the addresses. I used Google Maps the last time I was in Barcelona and it was very helpful. They also give you the exact walking time from point A to point B.

Marion

Enjoy!

Agreed- these were among our favorites.

The Txapela place was our least favorite- grumpy servers, tapas not freshened frequently, aimed at tourists.

Go to www.googlemaps.com and you can get walking directions from the hotel to the restaurant, you just have to put in the addresses. I used Google Maps the last time I was in Barcelona and it was very helpful. They also give you the exact walking time from point A to point B.

Marion

thanks Marion. I just google maped the directions from the Silken Gran de la Havana hotel to the restaurant and it's not far, both in Example right. Looks like tapas for dinner!

Love the photos!

Another question for anyone who has been in Barcelona. Is smoking allowed in the restaurants? I'm extremely allergic to cigarette smoke and from what info I've been able to find, smoking is allowed, which might rule out most places for me. :(

joandian-

Over the years, I noticed less smoking and some restaurants even have sections reserved for non-smokers. You can always ask to be seated in a non-smoking area or take a peak at the tables to see how many have ashtrays.

Just returned from Barcelona which is a beautiful city, and after all the worries about pickpockets, had no problems. As long as you are not foolish you'll be fine :)

The only problem we had at all, was the extremely RUDE treatment at Cuidad Condal by the host staff. DO NOT GO THERE unless you enjoy being sneered at and treated like crap!

We were recommended this restaurant by the concierge at our great hotel AC Diplomatic (which I highly recommend) and we so disappointed by the way we were treated that I want to make sure to warn others because when I got home and looked it up and saw that it is one of the top rated restauants in Barcelona on Trip Advisor I couldn't believe it!

The place was packed with people and the food looked and smelled amazing, and we were told the wait would be 30 min. for a table so the hostess put our name on the waiting list for a table, But she basically refused to seat us and kept passing us by and seating people who came in after us, even though we were standing right in front of her. I guess the fact that we were so obviously American tourists was something that bothered them, being that many of the people there were locals. I guess they don't want American money to be spent there? We wasted almost an hour waiting like idiots before we realized they were playing with us making fools of us, till we finally "got it" and walked out. After a wonderful 10 days travelling all over Italy being treated wonderfully everywhere we went, (Italians are the most gracious people ever) I couldn't believe the nastiness of Cuidad Condal and their staff. SNOOTY to the bone!! Do not go there - there's lots of great Tapas bars in Barcelona...wish I had known about Cerveceria Catalana cause we would've tried that one!!

Our Cruise Critic Marina group is meeting for a pre-cruise dinner in Barcelona on January 21, 2011 at:

Taller de Tapas

Rambla Catalunya 49-51 (Eixample)

I hope we have better luck. The restaurant reviews are good, we will see. We will have our own room and booked a group dinner rate.

Has anyone eaten at this restaurant?

Marion

Archived