How old to cruise?

photomikey

Hi,

I'm interested on taking my daughter on the Mexican Riviera cruise on the Oosterdam, October 30th. She will be 10.5 months old.

I was told on the phone that my daughter would be fine to cruise. The age seems to be 6 months to cruise, 12 months for transatlantic. I can find this on several third-party sites (this one included), but nothing on the HAL site. Can anyone help me out?

Our daughter first started cruising with HAL when she was 9 months old, and she was fine. The Taco bar was quite good - in that she had started on solid food and there were lots of options for her to eat there.

Otherwise, be forewarned, that while HAL does have jars of baby food on board, they cost USD1.00 per jar - so we stocked up and brought our own on board.

Yes, HAL is six months and up. Have your travel agent or HAL Ship Services send you an Infant Request form. You can reserve a high chair, booster seat and portable crib (with sheets) no charge. You can order baby food, diapers, formula, wipes etc. The formula, baby food and wipes were more reasonable than diapers and could be worth it for convenience. I plan to hit up Target or Kmart before the cruise to get what I need.

I plan to pick around the menu (mashed potatoes, diced avocado, pasta, grilled cheese, bread, small pieces of cheese, banana) - my daughter is 10 months now and eats all these things. You can also rent a refrigerator for $2/day if your cabin does not have one.

Our daughter will be 15 months when we cruise and it will be nice to not have to worry about formula. Hopefully she will be off of bottles by then too. Give us motivation to work towards a sippy cup.

In 2008 we went with our niece on the Eurodam and she was 7 months. This December 2010 we're going with another niece and she'll be 7 months by December. My sister got her baby a pack n' play in their interior room and reserved a high chair for the MDR.

Small kids (young) don't remember and are time-consuming at best. Cruises IMHO are NOT the best vacation.

Before you flame me, we sent our DD and 2 boys on a Disney week, 3 days Disneyworld and 4 days Disney cruise. WHEN THEY WERE OLD ENOUGH TO REMEMBER!

DW was on a cruise when 2, doesn't remember anything, just was told it happened.

Some parents like to take an occasional vacation away from their children, especially if they have a trusted friend/relative to watch the child.

Others might worry too much about their child while away and that would detract from the vacation.

As long as the parents assume full responsibility for their child and meeting the child's needs, then I say bring them along. Observing babies can be a great form of entertainment!:)

Small kids (young) don't remember and are time-consuming at best. Cruises IMHO are NOT the best vacation.

Before you flame me, we sent our DD and 2 boys on a Disney week, 3 days Disneyworld and 4 days Disney cruise. WHEN THEY WERE OLD ENOUGH TO REMEMBER!

DW was on a cruise when 2, doesn't remember anything, just was told it happened.

I'm not planning on my daughter looking back on this cruise in her teen years and telling everyone how magical it was.

I am planning on saving my sanity with a few days in a floating hotel and some nice dinners!

Thanks everyone, for the advice.

I would avoid the taco bar for small children. Their immune systems still are fragile and the bar is out in the open and handled by many passengers. Too many touchy/feelies out there. Best to bring some of your own food and kiddie snacks.

Does anyone know if my infant is responsible for paying the $11/day hotel service charge?

There is a charge, but you might have to pay it for him. ;)

An infant creates a lot of work for the stewards. There will be setting up/closing down where the baby sleeps, towels and general picking up. Presumably, the baby will be with you at meals, and that will create some work wherever you eat. A high chair might have to be set in place; depending on the age of the child, there may be droppings to clean up.

Most or the vast majority of parents turn loose their kids to run amok and pay little attention.

Kids in the adult pools, runnign down the halls... and parents indignant at the very thought that their little darling is to others hell -on wheels.

Fellow dinners willl be less than pleased also persons seeking a special ot relaxing time.

Sorry, I am not a fan of kids under 20 on cruises, from experience, for every one good one there are 30 rotten ones:rolleyes:

I was trying to avoid this thread as I believe that families should have a right to cruise just like anyone else, and I wouldn't want HAL to be seen as the "old folks' cruiseline."

On the other hand, the thought of being seated next to a screaming infant during dinner makes me shudder. Then again, don't they have babysitters that you can hire onboard so that you could enjoy a nice dinner out? I've read on other threads about people taking advantage of such a service.

I am curious, do they charge full fees for infants and children? Just wondering.

Have a wonderful cruise, I hope that it is relaxing for you and everything that you imagine it to be :)

On our 35 day cruise which had about `1250 passengers had a few children the first 17 day segment, 2 families with 2 very well behaved sweet girls, they stayed the whole 35 days. In Dover, 300 passengers left the ship and 300 came on, most in Dover, the balance in Amsterdm the next day.

There were a lot more children in the 2nd batch. Most were well behaved and Club Hal kept them busy as well. Maybe not the younger ones under 5.

One thing I did find out that one family brought a Hummer Size stroller for their child and it was quite a job for the staff to put that huge thing on the tenders and then back on board. There were a number of tender ports. Of course it was convenient for the parents as they could load the thing up with other stuff like tote bags and such but an umbrella type stroller would have been nicer. That huge thing would have been difficult to push on the hills and uneven places where you walk. I thought it was a great imposition on the staff.

HawaiiDan, you'd be okay on our cruise, I don't have plans to turn our 9 month old loose in the hallways without us.

Sailkeywest, you're not doing much to keep HAL from being the "old fuddy-duddy line". Try harder.

Johanna7, good thought. We do have a gargantuan jogging stroller for our urban environment, but I wouldn't want to bring it aboard. Getting it into the tender is one thing, but I can't imagine storing a big one in the room. Between the bed and the crib I have a hard time imagining there is much room to move anyhow, I can't envision where one would put one of those huge strollers! Luckily the umbrella strollers are CHEAP!

I'm not planning on my daughter looking back on this cruise in her teen years and telling everyone how magical it was.

I am planning on saving my sanity with a few days in a floating hotel and some nice dinners!

Thanks everyone, for the advice.

Awesome! Enjoy your cruise with your (then) 10 1/2 month old! With that kind of a head start, she'll be a 700-day medal wearer when she is 20;) Lucky girl!

Lol, both Hubby and I are in our 30's. We both have the same viewpoints on children in public spaces, particularly restaurants where we go to relax and have a nice evening. In any case, my opinion was not meant to offend, have a nice cruise :)

There were several infants on our recent cruise on the Westerdam. We never heard a peep out of them other than the sweet 'baby-talking' that babies do. These adorable tots were doted on by the HAL staff and one little girl (looked to be maybe a year old) was just enthralled with riding the tenders. She & her parents seemed to end up with DH & myself on the tender rides. Anyway, she just squealed with delight each time the tender would roll & toss - she had everyone watching her and smiling with her. We saw her mom & dad wheeling her around the port towns on several occasions and all three looked like a warm and happy family.

Enjoy your cruise and don't worry about any negativity you may get here. Most parents we've seen on board with small infants present no problems what-so-ever.

Now if some of the adults and teens could just learn to behave half as well.....:rolleyes:;)

Archived