Med cruise in late October?

MomtoCCC

First - try this website for weather info when traveling. Best I have found so far. On the left hand side is "trip planner" put in city and dates and up pops tons of info on the weather based on past weather.

www.americanexpressweather.com

Second - we loved our first trip over very late November. We had Thanksgiving dinner in Rome the night before our cruise :D Needless to say we DIDNT have turkey !!!!

Weather was awesome for sightseeing. Much cooler and gorgeous. Didnt have any rain. Cold at night both pre and post cruise in Rome and Barcelona but it was nice....... I would much rather put on a jacket or sweater than sweat to death.......

Crowds - still lines at big sites (Vatican - Coliseum and others) but not near the crowds you would see in high season.......

Our second trip we went the first of May - also nice but it got hot towards the end in Athens, Rome and Turkey.........

I would go in October in a heartbeat !!!!

The weather in the Mediterranean is not all the same so it's important when you ask that you note the itinerary that you are asking about.

Do you have a specific itinerary in mind.

In general, the weather will range from cool to moderate temperatures (again depends on where you are sailing). I prefer April, late September and October to other times of the year such as the summer as the weather is much more comfortable and there are lots fewer tourists in port in the Fall/Spring compared to the summer months.

Keith

My first Med cruise was during the third week of October several years ago. The weather during port days was lovely, warm but not too warm. We didn't encounter crowds anywhere, but we didn't stop in Civitavecchia or Livorno on that cruise (we cruised from Naples to Palermo, Tunis, Majorca, Barcelona, Marseilles, Genoa and back to Naples). The Amalfi Coast was very quiet, and many restaurants had already closed for the season (or at least were not open at lunch anymore), but it was all still wonderful. On deck at night it was quite cool, a sweater or jacket was required.

Thanks for answering...

I'm more interested in the Western Med for our first trip... Italy/France area - maybe r/t out of Barcelona or Civitavecchia. My husband in an accountant so we will have to go after Oct 15. I would like to go just after that in Fall of 2011.

I have been to Barcelona and Venice in mid October on land.

The weather was just great! I brought a light water repellent jacket (just in case of rain)and then layered a light sweater underneath as needed. Hotel prices(in case you add days before and/or after) were also reasonable. We had no trouble getting into sights and lines were only a few minutes long.

I agree--Oct. and even Nov. is my favourite time to cruise in the Med. Weather is cool,crowds are down and if you're lucky, you can even get a bargain as several shops in Greece and Italy (prob. more) close for the season which puts you in a great position to bargain.

Hubby got 2 great leather jackets in Rhodes for next to nothing as the shop was closing that week! Enjoy!! Shelly:)

I also agree that late October/November is a wonderful time to cruise for the reasons mentioned above. There is a chance of rain as always, but the colors of the buildings in the autumnal sun cannot be matched. And, yes, the sales!

Archived