New Ships: names and rendering

CruisinChris

Found this online. Don't think it's been published here before. Love the names!

Princess Newbuilds Revealed

By Malcolm Oliver

In February the Carnival Corporation has signed a memorandum of agreement with Italian shipbuilder Fincantieri for the construction of two 3,600-passenger cruise ships for its Princess Cruises brand. The new ships ‘Regal Princess’ and ‘Royal Princess’- which will have an all-in cost of approximately euro 155,000 per lower berth – are scheduled to enter service in spring 2013 and spring 2014. At 139,000 tons each, they will be the largest in the Princess Cruises fleet. (PRNewswire via COMTEX)

Malcolm says: I am assured that below is an artists rendition of these newbuilds. They are obviously not based on the ‘Grand Princess’/'Ruby Princess’ design:

4579588136_b51269465b_b.jpg?w=450&h=146

Thanks. I hate the fact that they are naming a huge ship after the two previous Royal Princess', which were small and elegant. I also think it's going to be confusing since the current Royal Princess won't have been gone from the fleet very long before the new one is launched. Usually, they wait several years before reusing a name. I loved the old Regal Princess. :(

Hi There

From what we were told last year they were going to be very similar to grand class lay out the main new feature was the atirum which was going to be a lot lot bigger with more things around it so IC, Vines and what else,

also the possible the atirum will be viewable from more decks,

so captains speech etc more folk will be able to view.

wish they would confirm things

yours Shogun

I have no idea how accurate those drawings are, but on first glance I notice the afts are slanted forward instead of slightly raked. Which means they are all open to above, including tossed cigarette butts, and other flotsam and jetsam. The forward section looks very blocky to me, much like the new NCL Epic which is receiving so much criticism for its design.

I do hope they revise the design some.

I'm certainly not a large ship fan.

Liked the old Regal Prncess, and the original Royal Princess was a wonderful ship.

Oceania, with their three Renaissance class ships, and two larger new-builds (65,000GRT, 1258 PAX) on the way, is our current favorite cruise line.

I do think Princess has a wonderful mix of itineraries, but do think economy of scale has lessened my desire to sail Princess.

I have no idea how accurate those drawings are, but on first glance I notice the afts are slanted forward instead of slightly raked.

The drawing is just plain ugly. I am sure it is wrong or I really think the ship will sink with a heavy aft.

Yes it was posted a couple of months ago and taken at Princess HQ in Santa Clarita.

I thought the picture posted a few months ago was different.

I went back and looked and that is the picture that was posted...... :(

The forward section looks very blocky to me, much like the new NCL Epic which is receiving so much criticism for its design.

It reminded me a little of the Epic also. I don't think that design is that bad and I am sure they will have a great design on the inside.

I like the Royal name but the Regal name sounds cheap.

Thanks. I hate the fact that they are naming a huge ship after the two previous Royal Princess', which were small and elegant. I also think it's going to be confusing since the current Royal Princess won't have been gone from the fleet very long before the new one is launched. Usually, they wait several years before reusing a name. I loved the old Regal Princess. :(

I agree with this.

Found this online. Don't think it's been published here before. Love the names!

Princess Newbuilds Revealed

By Malcolm Oliver

In February the Carnival Corporation has signed a memorandum of agreement with Italian shipbuilder Fincantieri for the construction of two 3' date='600-passenger cruise ships for its Princess Cruises brand. The new ships ‘Regal Princess’ and ‘Royal Princess’- which will have an all-in cost of approximately euro 155,000 per lower berth – are scheduled to enter service in spring 2013 and spring 2014. At 139,000 tons each, they will be the largest in the Princess Cruises fleet. [i'](PRNewswire via COMTEX)[/i]

Malcolm says: I am assured that below is an artists rendition of these newbuilds. They are obviously not based on the ‘Grand Princess’/'Ruby Princess’ design:

4579588136_b51269465b_b.jpg?w=450&h=146

You gotta love the Internet... this is a picture that I took back in May at Princess HQ and posted in this thread: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1194532&highlight= Since I only posted here on Cruise Critic, maybe I should prosecute for copyright infringement? :p:rolleyes:

I spoke with some friends at Princess recently and asked about the newbuilds. Since the keels aren't to be laid for a year or so, they are working on refining the designs.

And the name question is still up in the air. I also had originally speculated about them recycling Regal Princess and Royal Princess since it made sense. http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1146409&highlight= But who knows, we may see Opal Princess and Pearl Princess yet...:)

Archived