Going rate for cruise and private excursion tipping in Med?

DLUT

Any comments on the going rate for tipping on the cruise excursions (especially Disney) and on private excursions at the ports in the Mediterranean? I have heard a range of 10-20%. I didn't know if 15% was standard as it is mostly in the US, and I definitely didn't want to short change anyone. Thanks for your help.

Any comments on the going rate for tipping on the cruise excursions (especially Disney) and on private excursions at the ports in the Mediterranean? I have heard a range of 10-20%. I didn't know if 15% was standard as it is mostly in the US, and I definitely didn't want to short change anyone. Thanks for your help.

That amount sounds about right. Tip more if you've had a wonderful time, the guide did an outstanding job or went above and beyond the expected. Many companies are happy to give you their suggested tipping guidelines.

Tipping in Europe is not the same as in the USA! It may be that USA cruise passengers are starting a new trend there but the average European does not tip or even expect tips from all customers. Most private tours are quite expensive and I'd not expect to add more than 10% to the cost for a tip unless something spectacular was done!

BTW tipping in restaurants is also not usual.

Tipping in Europe is rarely above 10%- if that- as, by law, everyone has to earn a living wage. Some unions do not allow tipping either.

If we take a tour, we'll probably give e5 each, unless the person, or driver, have been especially helpful, when we may give a little more.

Jo.

As others have said the tipping standard are very different in Europe. IMHO if you are doing the cruise sponsored you likely "should" tip as they are getting far less money ( the tour operators/guides etc. ) then on the private operators who don't have to share what you pay with anyone.

As others have said the tipping standard are very different in Europe. IMHO if you are doing the cruise sponsored you likely "should" tip as they are getting far less money ( the tour operators/guides etc. ) then on the private operators who don't have to share what you pay with anyone.

Not sure where you got this info from, but it's inaccurate, at least for the European Med ports (Italy, France, Spain). Based on my conversations with various guides and agencies over years of travel, the guides get paid the same hourly amount whether they are booked for a private tour or for a cruiseline full-bus tour. It's the same principle as booking a private guide at Pompeii -- the charge is the same per hour whether you are 2 people or 10.

If anything, the agency may take a smaller cut from the cruise line, but not the guide. (But not THAT much of a cut, which is why cruiseline excursions are relatively expensive -- YOU are paying the middleman).

Plus, guides on a 40 person tour will get at least some tip from (presumably) a majority of those on the tour.

This is true to a lesser extent in Turkey (guides are paid less) and Egypt (far less). Israel guides are well regulated and well paid.

Unfortunately tipping habits are changing in Europe, due in large part to Americans' refusal to leave their big-tipping habits at home. As someone else posted, service professionals (waiters, guides, etc) in European countries earn a fair wage already, so while a smallish tip as a token of appreciation should be appropriate, guides have grown to expect more, since Americans routinely feel guilty about tipping less than 15%.

Archived