Is one of the most popular new Elite perks being Chopped!

Xcruiser

Just look at this for example.

1. Hours 4 - 6PM True

2. Not available or open on 1st night True and last night.False

3. No shorts - it is 4 -6PM not dinner time. They enforce the no shorts for this but not the dress code for the MDR. Not true on the Equinox and Century, true on the summit

Just like extension cords. They don't want you to bring them onboard. False, we've had extension cords on our last 3 cruises.

Dress code - they don't want to enforce dress code because it will maybe cause a guest to get mad. LOL True

Either enforce rules or don't have them. Either give us Elite benefits or don't have them. Don't tease us with them for a while then let them go away. Not sure a whole lot has changed. If so it was prior to March 2010, why the beef now? JMHO!

Please see my red comments above. I'm getting the feeling there's a lot of misinformation being passed along here and it is whooping up the naysayers.

Host Andy, I'm with you all the way. Stop complaiing, the new benefits are great.

What is given really shouldn't be taken away for 1/3 of the cruise. We all recognize that cutbacks are happening everywhere and perhaps we should be more resilient, but the fact is this is a really nice way for Celebrity to recognize the loyal Celebrity cruisers and I think it's a shame (and a mistake) to cut it back this way.

Ha ha, talk to RCI gold members about having benefits taken away.

The policy the OP has described has been in effect since at least March and no doubt longer. There really is nothing new here. Wish I had saved the letter from the Captain's Club on our March cruise. I promise you we had no 4-6pm cocktails when other Captain's club events were scheduled or on embarkment day.

Ha ha, talk to RCI gold members about having benefits taken away.

The policy the OP has described has been in effect since at least March and no doubt longer. There really is nothing new here. Wish I had saved the letter from the Captain's Club on our March cruise. I promise you we had no 4-6pm cocktails when other Captain's club events were scheduled or on embarkment day.

I thought maybe I was losing it. It's been this way on every cruise we've taken since the new benefits began.

Hi Everyone !

I wasnt trying to suggest that we shouldnt state our feelings, with fear of reprisal. If that's how it sounded, my apologies. My point was, there are times to do it - specifically when something significant has changed, and times not to. Trust me, this isn't one of those times, as very little has changed.

I feel it's important to mention that Royal Caribbean Loyalty Members did the same thing several months ago. There was constant complaining about how the Diamond Lounge worked, how it was too crowded, how folks felt it wasnt as good as in the past, how they couldnt get their brand of liquor, how dare they do this and that, and all sorts of other trivial nonsense. Before you knew it, Royal diminished the benefit. As I said earlier, we shouldnt be complaining about something that Celebrity worked very hard to put in place for their most loyal customers. IMHO, with the current state of the economy, we should be thankful the new benefits are still in place !

With that said, I feel some folks are making a mountain of a molehill, and that's probably due to some inaccurate comments. The facts are, the Elite Lounge was never offered on Day 1, and is still offered on the last Day, so nothing has changed there. What has changed, is that Celebrity is offering 2 Captains Club events in place of the Elite Lounge on 2 days. While I realize it's not exactly the same benefit, they are still spending a significant amount of money to offer the 2 events - where you are offered a short list of complimentary drinks and hors d'oeuvres. Other than Day 1 (which has not changed), you are still getting something each day.... either the Elite Lounge, or a Captains Club event. BTW, we thought the Captains Club events were very nice !

I do not see any logic in making an issue of this. For those who feel they want to continue the complaining... Perhaps You should speak with Royal's Gold & Diamond Members, and see if they feel it's a wise idea. I'm sure they will tell you to stop being unhappy. Be careful what you wish for.

Joel.. death by a thousand cuts...

On my cruise critic profile asking for "favorite port of call" I list Michael's Club. We look forward to the daily gathering of like minded people from 4-6 and I also interpret any cut back of those hours as a clawback of hard won perks.

For years we were promised "improvements are coming." When they finally arrived last year we were impressed with the scope of the new Captain's Club. And now Celebrity, after missing their own timetable for more announcements, after discontinuing their focus groups, after replacing the people in charge of Captain's Club, giving no indication of why they missed their deadline, seems to be altering their program.

I recall when the sister line, RCI, cut benefits for diamond members. There were strong disapprovals. Royal Caribbean finally made amends by opening new happy hour lounges for diamond, less than diamond plus, members. I believe the expense was just as much as it would have been, had they kept the original benefits.

Corporate RCL is still showing profits, not as large as some in the past, but none-the-less profits. These economic times are such that I believe efforts should be to keep past customers. Reductions in present perks will be at odds with that objective.

I am not sure what Andy meant, but it seemed as though he was saying all should be happy with anything the cruise line "gives away." I disagree. They do not give things away. They operate and make decisions to attract and keep customers to maintain profits. Providing and keeping perks assists in achieving that objective. They should be more concerned about the long term, not just the short term.

Bob :cool:

Well said Andy!!

Can I just add a couple more observations based on last weeks cruise

1 It was in the Sky Lounge because so many elites are now on board, the vast majority of whom were first time X cruisers having come over from RCI

2. Hotel Director indicated that the increasing numbers eligible are giving logisitics issues - note I said logistics not cost - as they now need to take the Sky Lounge out which can give scheduling conflict and last week they needed 6 staff on each night which is quite different from the 2 in Michaels Club they had originally set up

3. From the Captains Club Welcome letter

Dress Code Smart Casual for the Daily Elite event; smart for the senior officers

The difference in the defintions Smart said no shorts whereas Smart Casual said no bathing tops. When we enquired about this, we were advised this change had come about as a result of feedback from guests on the later sittings. Each evening it was probably 50% men in shorts; and 50% dressed for dinner. Never once did I see anything that was inappropriate; most men wearing shorts had smart golf shirts on

4. The savouries offered were greatly enhanced - whilst I recognise in part this was to showcase the speciality restuaruants/bistro on 5 these mini nibbles (ie the amuse bouche from Murano one night) were wonderful

Yes, things move on, life changes but I still think this is a very reasonable and enjoyable perk.

So on my last Solstice cruise, I had the Elite Lounge (one cruise it was Michaels and the other was Sky Lounge) with free drinks avail for all days except for embarkation day, and now I get free drinks for all days except embarkation day......OK. The only negative I see is I have to mingle with 'those Select People', ugggh. How plebian! Cattle call? Our Michaels Club was more than a bit full....we just didn't 'moooo'.

Oh, and on embarkation day, I got a free drink on boarding, which of course doesn't count because Everybody got it so it doesn't really count since it wasn't restricted to 'us' and only one drink! But don't worry, I figured out how to sneak back down the stairwell and grab another glass - it's tough getting everything I deserve as an Elite that no one else does.

Denny

LOve this.

But Denny as an Elite I find it quite disturbing that you had to go down the stairs yorself to get another drink, as an elite I think X should reserve a lift/Elevator on Embarkation day so we (THE ELITES) don't have to walk down stairs to replenish our free glass of sparkling vino .

Host Andy,

I agree with you, it is a really great perk,

and that is what it is, a perk/freebie/thank you for your custom.

In these very difficult economic times to get anything for free is a real bonus.

As UKtog states we keep comong back because the product is what we want. Well that is our reason.

We have sailed on a few cruiselines now, and there is something that Celebrity do and keep doing, that draws us back ,

to me the 90mins free internet is just as important as a couple of free drinks between 4 and 6.

All I would say is Thank you Celebrity for recognising cusrtomer loyalty

but more importantly keep delivering excellent service.

Hi everyone,

I returned from the Century on Tuesday night and found the perks offered in Michaels club to be far more generous than I had expected.

Yes we couldn't get free drinks on embarkation day and yes the lounge was closed when there were other events that Captains Club members were invited to but this perk is costing the company a significant amount of money and I for one am very grateful for it.

It is certainly helping me to remain loyal to the company. If they were to remove the perk then perhaps I would think again but bearing in mind the economic situation I think we should all be a little more thankful.

Ciao

Hazel

Well said Andy!!

Can I just add a couple more observations based on last weeks cruise

1 It was in the Sky Lounge because so many elites are now on board, the vast majority of whom were first time X cruisers having come over from RCI

2. Hotel Director indicated that the increasing numbers eligible are giving logisitics issues - note I said logistics not cost - as they now need to take the Sky Lounge out which can give scheduling conflict and last week they needed 6 staff on each night which is quite different from the 2 in Michaels Club they had originally set up

Uktog mentions that the hotel director said that the amount of Elites were causing a logistical issue.

This will probably be a very unpopular view, but perhaps Royal Caribbean International should not have "mixed" the 2 Loyalty Programs. I, too, have noticed a lot of "Loyal to Royal" cruisers now cruising on Celebrity due mainly to the "free" drinks from 4 to 6. Many times the people you run into in the Elite Lounge are on their first Celebrity cruise and really know nothing of the Celebrity "history" (i.e., the older ships that are no longer part of the fleet, the long-time staff and crew members, etc. etc.) I'm a Celebrity Elite Captain's Club member because I earned Elite status by cruising 55+ times with CELEBRITY on all CELEBRITY ships - not by cruising on Royal Caribbean ships.

I'm just thinking that there really should be a way to reward the true Celebrity loyalists.

The policy the OP has described has been in effect since at least March and no doubt longer. There really is nothing new here. ...............

I thought maybe I was losing it. It's been this way on every cruise we've taken since the new benefits began.

I'm a little confused ... to me something that began in March of this year is pretty new. While some people may cruise more often, many of us cruise only once or twice a year so if something started around March we consider it new.

Andy, I understand your point. I guess I just don't see the OP's point as minor. Maybe I'm not reading it right, but I got the impression that initially the Elite Lounge was 6 nights and now it's only 4. That's a 33% cutback. The fact that many more passengers are included the other 2 hights takes away the intimacy of the evening; it's just not the same and no longer a perk for the Elite passengers.

As it is I'm envious of the folks on our Roll Call who will enjoy the Elite Lounge, but I also think loyalty to a line should be recognized and all too often the benefits on cruise lines are almost negligible. I was enthusiastic about one I think is substantial.

And I still don't see Celebrity being upset about this discussion. On the contrary, I believe they welcome their guests reaction to changes they institute.

OK - you all can skewer and BBQ me but here's my thoughts as a non-Elite member

I've cruise twice with Celebrity and have 2 more booked for next year after sailing 5 times on 5 different lines. It's not about what perks I can earn - it's because I love the Celebrity experience and ships more than anything else I had done.

I search for a cruise based on the ship and itinerary. I also book inside cabins in order to save a few $$ so I can spend those extra $$ on tours and my bar bill ;)

It'll take me a long time to get to Elite level and once I get there, I may or may not take advantage of whatever they offer. If I do, I'll be thankful for whatever those benefits are -not complain. It sounds to me like they are still offering you free drinks and food everyday - maybe not in the manner you'd like but still perks that the rest of us don't get to enjoy.

Ok - get out your skewers.

I board the Century on the 19th Sept and this will be our first time at elite status, i'm happy for any perk no matter how big or small and to be honest if they took it all away I would still cruise on X as the benefits/perks are just that.

OK - you all can skewer and BBQ me but here's my thoughts as a non-Elite member

I've cruise twice with Celebrity and have 2 more booked for next year after sailing 5 times on 5 different lines. It's not about what perks I can earn - it's because I love the Celebrity experience and ships more than anything else I had done.

I search for a cruise based on the ship and itinerary. I also book inside cabins in order to save a few $$ so I can spend those extra $$ on tours and my bar bill ;)

It'll take me a long time to get to Elite level and once I get there, I may or may not take advantage of whatever they offer. If I do, I'll be thankful for whatever those benefits are -not complain. It sounds to me like they are still offering you free drinks and food everyday - maybe not in the manner you'd like but still perks that the rest of us don't get to enjoy.

Ok - get out your skewers.

I agree with you as an Celebrity elite cruiser (told my wife I hate that word in this use), I would not book a cruise solely to get the elite benefits. It would serve only as a tiebreaker to me...

Please see my red comments above. I'm getting the feeling there's a lot of misinformation being passed along here and it is whooping up the naysayers.

Host Andy, I'm with you all the way. Stop complaiing, the new benefits are great.

April 25 on the Solstice we had Sat. night 4 to 6 cocktail hour, Aug. 29 on the Solstice we did not, this was on the elite paper in our room and not a one time occurance. That makes the removal of the last night cocktail hour new the way I read it, please don't label this as false. My only problem with the change is just a personal one as we all enjoyed meeting new friends on the last night in an uncrowded atmosphere and from my point of view a party at 1:30 on the last day is silly as most people have a lot of other things they would enjoy doing in particular when it involves a change of clothes to smart casual.JMHO. I will continue with my love of Celebrity and the elite (I also hate that word) perks. End of the line for me on this subject,thanks for listening and for your in put Andy.

I agree with you as an Celebrity elite cruiser (told my wife I hate that word in this use), I would not book a cruise solely to get the elite benefits. It would serve only as a tiebreaker to me...

Exactly my point, Don. The Celebrity loyalists (and I believe both you and I and others can be classified as that) didn't become "Elite" because of the benefits.......we became "elite" because we love the Celebrity product. Maybe these new "Elite benefits" should be offered only to "true" Celebrity Elite passengers. I mean it really says something when you cannot find a seat in the "Elite Lounge", yet half the people you speak to in the Lounge are on their first Celebrity cruise!

We have been Elite members for at least the past 4 years, and since the "new" benefits were introduced, we have sailed on the Solstice (Med), Equinox (Carib) and Eclipse (Sp. Med). We still have not been to Michaels in the evening, despite the fact that our last cruise had 5 sea days, and have only visited a couple times in the morning. We usually plan on going but the time always slips away.

Clearly, this is not my favorite Elite perk, so I don't think the closing the Club on nights when there is another CC event negates the benefit. Free cocktails, etc. are still available at the CC event in the Sky lounge -- it's just a different setting.

I would much prefer having more Internet time, especially since the service is so slow, and we really appreciate the laundry, pressing and drycleaning benefits.

I think the over all point is being missed in this thread. I think what the OP was trying to say is the benefit is listed one way but being carried out in another way.

So it is advertised as being a daily event for the Elite members. But that is not what is happening.

I am sure Celebrity is happy that almost everyone is happy to get what they get and will not rock the boat.

BUT, and I mean it all caps.... But there should be some truth in advertising. Celebrity should change the wording on the benefit page, to say that the Elite Lounge will not be open when other Captain's Club events are occurring. Not just in your cabin newsletter, BUT on the CC Benefits page on the website.

The other point that Joel is trying to make is that, these were just introduced and with the added "more to come", not lets slowly take away the benefits and not tell anyone.

dgbg100106

Don't get me started. I think the worse thing they did was make the programs reciprocal.

Especially when there is no reciprocal level to get us into their concierge lounge. No matter how often one has cruised on Celebrity you can't achieve a diamond plus level.

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/cas/benefitsLoggedout.do;jsessionid=00004mGtTLMGjL2jRA1Q_FoYbyJ:12hdhua36

Just over a year ago Celebrity rolled out the New Captains Club along with much needed improvements for the Elite level. One of the most popular of the New Elite Level Benefits is the Elite Lounge from 4:00pm to 6:00pm daily:

As noted in the quote from the Celebrity Captains Club Elite benefits page the lounge is closed on embarkation and disembarkation days.

However recently it has been brought to my attention that in addition to the dates stated above Celebrity has been closing the Elite lounge on 2 additional days onboard Solstice 7 night Caribbean sailings. The additional days are the day of the Captains Club Celebration and the Senior officers party. This means on a 7 night sailing the daily Elite lounge is really only open 4 days on 7 night sailings.

This was not the case on the one sailing on Century I've done with the New Elite benefits in November of last year. This has not been the case on some other sailings that some Elite level friends have expressed.

Is it fair that Celebrity would substitute two reworked older Benefits over the new offerings on certain days while still advertising it as a daily event?:confused:

Once more what happens if they do this substitution on a 5 night sailing, is the Elite lounge only open 2 days, or 1 day on a 4 night?:confused:

When Celebrity rolled out these changes they stated it was just a start and more was to come. If this is more, then more is less in my book.

IMHO, I'm disappointed with the approach and this cut back to a great additional benefit to the Elite level:(, how do you feel???:confused:

Joel

I just returned from a seven day cruise on the Mercury (August 29 to September 5). To the best of my knowledge, the Captain's Club lounge was available on five evenings, and only unavailable on two evenings...(a) Embarkation day, when it would have conflicted with the muster drill and Sail Away, and (b) on the evening of the Senior Officer's Cocktail Party. There has never been a CC Lounge open on Embarkation day for obvious reasons, and they have added a very nice new event that includes the Select members. I would never attend BOTH the CC Lounge from 4:00-6:00 pm AND the Senior Officers' Gathering (which many look forward to) on the same evening, so the closing of the CC Lounge just seems logical to me.

The "new Captain's Club Celebration" was held from 11:00 am to 12:30 pm and was a very nice event. There was entertainment, and lots of food, including a good selection of sushi and a carving station. I only had a few bites, so can't report on exactly what was offered, but there were three long food stations

The complimentary beverages were:

• Celebrity Vintages Sparkling Wine
  • Chardonnay, Tormaresca, Antinori, Italy
  • Red Diva Bordeaux A.C., Haut-Medoc
  • Red Sangria
  • Cosmopolitan
  • Cuba Libre
  • Heineken
  • Bud Light
  • Soda Drinks

I thought it was a very nice selection for a complimentary offering.

The event was held in the Pavilion Night Club, which had ample seating for all. I would never have characterized the gathering as a "cattle call".

The CC Lounge was open from 4-6 pm on the day of the Captain's Club Celebration

I didn't attend the Senior Officers' Gathering, but as the shows were held at 7:00 pm and 9:00 pm that day, it would have been possible to (a) go to dinner at 6:00 pm, go to the 7:45 pm gathering (possibly a few minutes late) and go to the 9:00 pm show or (b) go to the 7:00 pm show, go to the 7:45 pm gathering (possibly a few minutes late) and go to dinner at 8:30 pm. Granted, it would be a bit tight timewise, but if all three activities were important to you, it would have been do-able. The show on the evening of the Senior Officer's Gathering was the magician, which I usually find to be a shorter show.

Regarding the Captain's Club events, below is the letter that was in my cabin on the day I embarked.

Dear Elite Captain’s Club Member:

On behalf of the Master of the Vessel, Captain Konstantinos Patsoulas, and our Hotel Director, Ugo Vaccalluzzo, I would like to welcome you aboard the beautiful Celebrity Mercury.

In your stateroom, please find your Premium Offers to enjoy during your cruise. We have designed the following special events exclusively for our members. Please keep this letter to use as your official invitation, as no private invitations will be sent in an effort to help Save the Waves.

Captain’s Club Events

Wine Tasting Seminar, Select & Elite Mon. Aug 30 11:15 am

Future Cruise Presentation Mon. Aug 30 11:00 am

New: Captain’s Club Celebration, all members Tues. Aug 31 11:00 am – 12:30 pm Smart Casual

Join us at this unique and exciting social, entertainment, and gourmet tasting event held for all members

Backstage Tour, Select and Elite Tues. Aug 31 1:30 pm

Galley Tour, Select and Elite Wed. Sep 1 4:15 pm

Senior Officers’ Gathering, Select and Elite Wed. Sep 1 7:45 pm Smart Casual

** Kindly note the Captain’s Club Lounge will be closed this evening**

Casino Double Jackpot, all members Fri. Sep 3 10:30 am -

11:00 am

Elite Elegant Tea Sat. Sep 4 3:30 pm Smart Casual

Elite Private Departure Lounge Sun. Sep 5 7:45 am

Smart Casual: no flip-flops or bathing attire please

Smart Casual & Above: no jeans, shorts, flip-flops, or bathing attire please

Exclusive Access to the Captain’s Club Lounge

v The Captain’s Club Coffee Break, 8:00 am – 10:00 am (Michael’s Club)

Enjoy a delicious continental breakfast and frothy cappuccinos in a relaxing coffeehouse environment

v The Captain’s Club Social Hour, 4:00 pm – 6:00 pm (Michael’s Club)

After a day at port or relaxing onboard, join us for a selection of complimentary wines and cocktails.

v Please kindly note:

v Open daily except embarkation and the evening of the Senior Officers’ Coctail Party, Wed. Sep 1

v All Elite members, their spouses and/or stateroom companions over 21 years old are welcome

v Your SeaPass Card is required for entry to these events (if your Seapass card says “Elite Member”. You are also given a Captain’s Club Exclusive Lounge Access Card, which is a separate card. Both cards will gain access to the Captain’s Club)

v We kindly ask complimentary offerings not be removed from the Lounge.

v Attire: Smart Casual

For Captain’s Club assistance or to see your Cruise Sales Manager, Lisa, for booking inquiries, please stop by The Grand Foyer, located on deck 5 Midship Starboard Side. Kindly refer to Celebrity Today for our official desk hours. I look forward to meeting you during your cruise.

While onboard, please use your SeaPass card to help ensure you’re recognized as a member of the Captain’s Club. Thank you for choosing to sail with Celebrity Cruises.

Kind Regards,

Tanushka D’Souza and Mellissa Snow

Captain’s Club Hostess

Especially when there is no reciprocal level to get us into their concierge lounge. No matter how often one has cruised on Celebrity you can't achieve a diamond plus level.

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/cas/benefitsLoggedout.do;jsessionid=00004mGtTLMGjL2jRA1Q_FoYbyJ:12hdhua36

This is why Celebrity Cruisers need an Elite Plus level. This level would make the reciprocal programs more equitable. So many people that we have met at the Elite Lounge came over from Royal Carribean and have one or two Celebrity cruises. Believe me, they are loving the benefits. It is too bad we have no incentive to cruise Royal.

All I can say is that I'm looking forward to the Elite Lounge on our upcoming Transatlantic on the Equinox. All of those sea days will make it even more attractive.

I do agree also, that it probably is time for some sort of Elite Plus CC Level. I seem to remember that there were rumors about that last year, but nothing came of it. Arno, or Andy, do you remember that, or am I just speculating.

Anyway, the perks certainly are nice, and I do appreciate them. On the other hand, I have to agree with the others that I am Brand-Loyal also; Celebrity's one serious competitor for me was Azamara, but their re-branding has been such a mess, that probably isn't very likely in the near future. I do like and appreciated the Celebrity Product.

And the perks are nice too......

And yes, we are "founding" ( wrote the check) Captain's Club Members also......

Elena, thanks for the post. I will be sailing Mercury in 39 days.

Anne Maria

You're very welcome. I am trying to finish a review, but the start of the school year is very busy!

I had a great time on the Mercury.

My post above was getting pretty long, so I left out a few things. One is that there were NEVER more than three other people in the Elite lounge. Often I was the only one there, particularly in the morning. I really felt bad for the bartender and waitress (in the AM) and waiter (in the PM).

I thought perhaps there were very few Elites on this cruise, but there were lots of people at the Elegant Tea, which was for Elites only, so I don't know why they weren't attending the CC lounge. (The servers in the CC lounge confirmed that there were very few people attending...it wasn't just at the times when I was there).

There were so many events for Elite. In addition to what was listed on the letter I posted above, as an Elite member I was invited to a Navigational Bridge tour, and an Engine Control Room tour. If you wanted to have some time to socialize with other Elite cruisers, there were SO many opportunities.

The staff across the ship was excellent, and the food was very good everywhere. Fish selections were beautifully done, and the steaks were tender and done correctly to medium rare on the two nights I had beef. The almond croissants were the best on any Celebrity ship I have travelled, and that is saying something ;).

There were also lots of great activities, including four watercolour classes, for which they provided a nice quality watercolour kit at no cost. The courses in Celebrity Online were particulary good...the instructor was one of the best I have had. In less than an hour, I learned how to make movies with Windows Movie Maker, using my photos and video clips and music of my choice. Fun!

It was another great Celebrity experience. I know you will have a wonderful time on your upcoming Mercury cruise!

Archived