Is one of the most popular new Elite perks being Chopped!

Xcruiser

Perhaps one of the reasons for the apparent cutback is that many of the same staff members (servers, CC hostess, activities staff, etc) typically work at or are expected to be present at both functions.

I think Celebrity did a great job with their new rewards programs.

Happy Sails to You

OOOEEE :D:D Bob and Phyl

Perhaps one of the reasons for the apparent cutback is that many of the same staff members (servers, CC hostess, activities staff, etc) typically work at or are expected to be present at both functions.

I think Celebrity did a great job with their new rewards programs.

Happy Sails to You

OOOEEE :D:D Bob and Phyl

Wow, good point! I did see our Elite Waitstaff there - he saw us first and walked up with our 'usuals'. Nice!

Denny

Have 38Ns booked on 3 cruises.Yes, this is cost cutting. Not happy .I especially enjoyed the 4-6 lounge. My friend is really ticked. If they cut more we will cancel these cruises .Plenty of other ships out there. Elite lounge was jumping even on last night.Next, they will be limiting it to 2 drinks= Someone was saying martinis were small.

First off I'd like to make a couple things clear about my original post,

I was in no way referring to the excluded embarkation or disembarkation dates for the Elite Lounge as these have always been excluded and for very good reason.

I've never expressed any displeasure and disappointment with any of the NEW Captains Club benefits, just the opposite.

The purpose of my post is to inform fellow Elite members that the Elite Lounge benefit is being cutback on two additional days per cruise. That this is being done without any notice until you pickup the Elite Events Letter in your stateroom. At the same time the Celebrity website promotes the Elite Lounge benefit as a Daily event as if nothing has changed.

I'm surprised at the number of posters that feel this is ok and that there is no reason to inform or mention these changes at all.

I also don't understand the logic that by mentioning any displeasure with how Celebrity is going about these cutbacks would lead in turn to removal of the entire program. Any decision along those would be done in the corporate back offices by the revenue team and they won't need to consult these boards to figure out the backlash it would cause.

IMHO by not objected or saying anything after one day gets removed after the next, then that is more likely to lead to further cutbacks down the line.

After all when it's time for cutbacks on the loyalty program why not start with the Elite level, these guests have proven in the past to keep returning without the benefits anyway:rolleyes:.

Just my 2 cents!:cool:

Joel

I was in no way referring to the excluded embarkation or disembarkation dates for the Elite Lounge as these have always been excluded and for very good reason.

I've never expressed any displeasure and disappointment with any of the NEW Captains Club benefits, just the opposite.

The purpose of my post is to inform fellow Elite members that the Elite Lounge benefit is being cutback on two additional days per cruise. That this is being done without any notice until you pickup the Elite Events Letter in your stateroom. At the same time the Celebrity website promotes the Elite Lounge benefit as a Daily event as if nothing has changed.

I'm surprised at the number of posters that feel this is ok and that there is no reason to inform or mention these changes at all.

I also don't understand the logic that by mentioning any displeasure with how Celebrity is going about these cutbacks would lead in turn to removal of the entire program. Any decision along those would be done in the corporate back offices by the revenue team and they won't need to consult these boards to figure out the backlash it would cause.

IMHO by not objected or saying anything after one day gets removed after the next, then that is more likely to lead to further cutbacks down the line.

After all when it's time for cutbacks on the loyalty program why not start with the Elite level, these guests have proven in the past to keep returning without the benefits anyway:rolleyes:.

Joel

We totally agree;):D

Joel

We TOTALLY agree with your posting. Too many people try to justify anything that a Cruise Line does. In reality, nothing is free, they are not giving you anything for free, you pay for it all. We paid for it by being loyal and continue to cruise with a Cruise Line. When a Cruise Line decides to cut back, they will not ask us or anyone else. They do it.

Just look at this for example.

1. Hours 4 - 6PM

2. Not available or open on 1st night and last night.

3. No shorts - it is 4 -6PM not dinner time. They enforce the no shorts for this but not the dress code for the MDR.

Just like extension cords. They don't want you to bring them onboard. If we don't let them know our dissatisfaction of these things, they will never know what we like and do not like.

Dress code - they don't want to enforce dress code because it will maybe cause a guest to get mad. LOL

Either enforce rules or don't have them. Either give us Elite benefits or don't have them. Don't tease us with them for a while then let them go away. JMHO!

When Celebrity rolled out these changes they stated it was just a start and more was to come. If this is more, then more is less in my book.

We totally agree;):D

Joel.. death by a thousand cuts...

On my cruise critic profile asking for "favorite port of call" I list Michael's Club. We look forward to the daily gathering of like minded people from 4-6 and I also interpret any cut back of those hours as a clawback of hard won perks.

For years we were promised "improvements are coming." When they finally arrived last year we were impressed with the scope of the new Captain's Club. And now Celebrity, after missing their own timetable for more announcements, after discontinuing their focus groups, after replacing the people in charge of Captain's Club, giving no indication of why they missed their deadline, seems to be altering their program.

We are not Elite level cruisers but are only select. When we first found out that we were going to be able to attend two of the Elite parties we were very happy. But, if it means to the detrimate of passengers that have spent a lot of dollars to earn their classification then it probably is wrong to include select if it means the 4-6 pm parties have to be scratched for Celebrity's best source of future revenue.

I personally was trying to figure a way that would give us an acceleration to elite class because of these special social functions where knowledge of cruising is shared and where friendships are made. I am sure I am not alone in this strategy. But if the social gatherings are continued to be cut then the incentive to make Elite is really diminished. IMHO two less private gatherings is a major cut and my desire to earn those 2 extra points to make Elite May have lessened also.

Respectfully,

JoAnne

Perhaps my goals need to be reanalyzed.

When we joined the X club years ago (?) we paid about $32.00 to become members. How many of you have also paid that in the past? At that time X was the only Cruise Line that was charging to join and get the old benefits.

We paid something like $35 to join the Capt Club back in 1996. Years later when Celebrity dropped the charge and made it free, there was a $50 coupon applicable to your next reservation that was sent to us (a refund would have been nicer). We never got a chance to use it before it expired......

We paid something like $35 to join the Capt Club back in 1996. Years later when Celebrity dropped the charge and made it free, there was a $50 coupon applicable to your next reservation that was sent to us (a refund would have been nicer). We never got a chance to use it before it expired......

Agree, a refund or cabin OBC would have been nice. Coupons just don't work all the time.

Hi Everyone !

I'd like to make some comments about this thread. Please allow me to vent :)

Many of us have requested/recommended/fought/begged/pleaded with Celebrity to offer this, and other benefits for years. I am one of many who kept fighting the fight, as I felt that Celebrity should offer the Elite Lounge, as it made sense to appreciate their most frequent and most loyal customers. As you know, I am a huge supporter of most anything that benefits and recognizes brand loyalty.

So here we are. We have what we wanted. My concern is, the economy stinks and Cruise lines are cutting back everywhere. I have to believe that if Celebrity could reverse this benefit, they would. I feel it's not a wise idea to complain about whatever tweaking they've done, as we run the risk of Celebrity stopping the program altogether. I'd rather have the benefit as it stands, than no benefit at all.

I certainly appreciate the discussion, but keep in mind that Celebrity reads this board. I hope we can be constructive, and use this thread as an opportunity to show our appreciation to Celebrity for the additional Captains Club benefits, instead of complaining about some minor tweaking. I truly hope you agree. Thank you !

I totally agree. Celebrity's Elite perks are awesome and they definitely play a role when we decide between cruising on Celebrity or another line, all things being equal. We are very brand-loyal to Celebrity especially after they added the extra perks.

It must vary from ship to ship. On the Solstice TA, they had it every day in the Sky Lounge. On Summit recently they held it every afternoon between 4-6 in Michael's with the exception of one where they had the Senior Officers Captain's Club cocktails from 5 to 7 up in Revelations. No Michael's (so what?). In addition, on the last sea day, they had the carving station & sushi cocktail hour at 1pm up in Revelations to honor some of the frequent cruisers.

Count 'em -- we got 7 free cocktail hours, not to mention the 6 morning bloody marys eye openers. :D

If I were to have any complaint, the last sea day cocktail hour they had the carving station and lots of great food. I didn't know they were going to have that, and we had just finished lunch in the dining room prior to the cocktail hour. :(

I thought I read somewhere where a person complained that their Elite free 30 pieces of wash/dry/fold laundry was wrinkled. :eek:

We also paid the $35.00 and received a coupon for a future cruise, which we used, and 2 extra cruise credits.

Joel.. death by a thousand cuts...

On my cruise critic profile asking for "favorite port of call" I list Michael's Club. We look forward to the daily gathering of like minded people from 4-6 and I also interpret any cut back of those hours as a clawback of hard won perks.

For years we were promised "improvements are coming." When they finally arrived last year we were impressed with the scope of the new Captain's Club. And now Celebrity, after missing their own timetable for more announcements, after discontinuing their focus groups, after replacing the people in charge of Captain's Club, giving no indication of why they missed their deadline, seems to be altering their program.

Arno, thanks and if it were just 1000 cuts I'd have stop posting along time ago. It's over 10,000 and I'm still ticking and posting!

I knew when I started this thread I was not going to be on the popular side of things but felt something needed to be said. I think from the feed back on this tread there are maybe a dozen or so that see the big picture and where things are going. Planning events to replace Elite events at a time that will encourage few to participate and making it seem like a fair exchange cry's foul to me.

It's not the free drinks so much as the replacement of a successful social get together with something not suited for that purpose.

Anyhow I'm happy with Elite perks even with this change but disappointed in the way this has come about. I think the only true event that has really been offered to the Elite level exclusively has been the Elite Lounge (upper end suites as well). It's just a little less so now and I just hope it's not going to slowly diminish all together.

Joel

I totally agree. Celebrity's Elite perks are awesome and they definitely play a role when we decide between cruising on Celebrity or another line, all things being equal. We are very brand-loyal to Celebrity especially after they added the extra perks.

We are brand loyal as well but if I had decided years ago to cruise on RCL I would have been enjoying the Concierge years earlier and I'd be getting a free cruise this year.

My concern with Captain's Club is that there is no longer a senior Celebrity person in charge of the program. Am I happy with the elite program? Sure I am. However I cancelled bookings of other lines this year because of the excellent X perks. If we do not express our concern then X can think that they can keep on cutting without any affect on our booking options.

For years Celebrity has been my favorite cruise line and we're looking forward to our upcoming cruise on Solstice (I should say we're over the moon excited about it:D). We're not Elite members yet, but just a couple more credits and we will be.

When I first heard about the Elite Lounge perk, I immediately started thinking of ways to up our credits sooner than later. I think Celebrity stands out in rewarding loyalty in several ways, but when I heard about this particular 'perk', I was really impressed.

I'm afraid I can't share this belief that because Celebrity reads this board, Joel shouldn't express his disappointment and that by so doing Celebrity will say "too bad for you, now you get nothing". I refuse to believe they would do this and I sure hope I'm not wrong about that.

What is given really shouldn't be taken away for 1/3 of the cruise. We all recognize that cutbacks are happening everywhere and perhaps we should be more resilient, but the fact is this is a really nice way for Celebrity to recognize the loyal Celebrity cruisers and I think it's a shame (and a mistake) to cut it back this way.

I have to agree with Andy. These new perks have been years in the making (with most of us begging, pleading and groveling) and I will continue to be pleased and praise them until they go really off the wall. A couple of missed days I can handle. Just don't take it all away!!! :):D

Archived