Is one of the most popular new Elite perks being Chopped!

Xcruiser

Just over a year ago Celebrity rolled out the New Captains Club along with much needed improvements for the Elite level. One of the most popular of the New Elite Level Benefits is the Elite Lounge from 4:00pm to 6:00pm daily:

NEW Access to the Captain's Club Lounge at Michael's Club for daily coffeehouse style breakfast and evening social hour (excludes embarkation and disembarkation dates)

Pasted from <http://www.celebritycruises.com/captainsclub/heroSingleTxtSub.do;jsessionid=0000L7qlBMPf2rbThI2olky6wmR:12h3rnd1c?pagename=elite_member_benefits>

As noted in the quote from the Celebrity Captains Club Elite benefits page the lounge is closed on embarkation and disembarkation days.

However recently it has been brought to my attention that in addition to the dates stated above Celebrity has been closing the Elite lounge on 2 additional days onboard Solstice 7 night Caribbean sailings. The additional days are the day of the Captains Club Celebration and the Senior officers party. This means on a 7 night sailing the daily Elite lounge is really only open 4 days on 7 night sailings.

This was not the case on the one sailing on Century I've done with the New Elite benefits in November of last year. This has not been the case on some other sailings that some Elite level friends have expressed.

Is it fair that Celebrity would substitute two reworked older Benefits over the new offerings on certain days while still advertising it as a daily event?:confused:

Once more what happens if they do this substitution on a 5 night sailing, is the Elite lounge only open 2 days, or 1 day on a 4 night?:confused:

When Celebrity rolled out these changes they stated it was just a start and more was to come. If this is more, then more is less in my book.

IMHO, I'm disappointed with the approach and this cut back to a great additional benefit to the Elite level:(, how do you feel???:confused:

Joel

I don't have a problem with the Elite Happy Hour being closed on Embarkation afternoon and Debarkation morning. Too much confusion during those times, and it makes sense to me.

During a recent Summit cruise, the only afternoon that Happy Hour was closed was when they substituted it for the Elite function up in the Sky Lounge (or whatever they call it on Summit). It just took the place of Michael's. They had 2 hours of free drinks, carved roast beef, sushi, and other canapes & hors d'oeuvres.

When Celebrity rolled out these changes they stated it was just a start and more was to come. If this is more, then more is less in my book.

IMHO, I'm disappointed with the approach and this cut back to a great additional benefit to the Elite level:(, how do you feel???:confused:

Joel

We were on the Reunion cruise in April and Michael's Club was closed one day so that we could have an additional event for Captain's Club members. I pointed out to the organizers that substituting a limited choice of drinks and house wine for everyone attending is not exactly the same reward for elites who have grown accustomed to the elite offerings.

CelebrityCaptainsClub.jpg

The Celebrity website is still announcing that more news is coming but the people who were responsible for the perks introduced last year are no longer "in power" and seem to have been reassigned. After RCL announced changes to their program, I was hoping some of their perks would become available to Captain's Club as well, especially an addition of a tier above 10 cruise credits.

Ohhh, I hope this is not true. The Capt's Club Celebation and the Senior Officer's Party are like a cattle calls. The Elite Lounge is a totaly different atmosphere.
That's the way it was on the 8/29/2010 Solstice cruise. The officers first party was on Wed at 7:45 for select and elite,house wine,limited drinks, the second was on Sat. afternoon at 1:30 with gourmet food bites. We didn't attend the first because of the timing and the cattle call effect but we looked in on the Sat party.Not many people at that time on the last day of a cruise when the dress code was smart casual. We were disappointed as we like to meet new friends to say goodbye at the cocktail party on the last night.

On the Eclipse cruise last week the lounge was not open on Day 1 (we are used to that) but it was also closed the day of the Captains Club Party and the evening of the Senior Officers party - whilst I can accept the second as they almost clashed the first was disappointing - like many we only had a short visit to that event at 1300. I was advised this change is a fleetwide move - my guess is it is minor cost saver (as much on staffing as on drinks costs) but as said earlier at least it is still a benefit even if it is a smaller one and we need to be careful not to be too vociferous in our feedback!

Hi Everyone !

I can understand where the OP is coming from, but it's not as negative as suggested. Here's what happened on Solstice in July (confirmed by Captains Club Elite Letter in Cabin) :

1. First day of Cruise - Elite Lounge not offered. To my recollection, it was never offered on the first day, so nothing has changed.

2. 2 days of Cruise - Elite Lounge not offered, but replaced with Senior Officers & Captains Club Party, which offered complimentary alcohol and soft drinks - albeit with more limited choices than what the Elite Lounge offers. I can see where some might be unhappy with that change, but we enjoyed the 2 Parties offered by Celebrity. It wasn't a big deal for us.

3. Last day of Cruise - The Elite Lounge WAS offered.

While some may say this equates to 2 days of the benefit being lost, I would not put it that way, as alternate events were offered. Everyone in our Family felt it all worked out fine. I continue to believe the Elite Lounge is a great benefit, and is very much appreciated.

So on my last Solstice cruise, I had the Elite Lounge (one cruise it was Michaels and the other was Sky Lounge) with free drinks avail for all days except for embarkation day, and now I get free drinks for all days except embarkation day......OK. The only negative I see is I have to mingle with 'those Select People', ugggh. How plebian! Cattle call? Our Michaels Club was more than a bit full....we just didn't 'moooo'.

Oh, and on embarkation day, I got a free drink on boarding, which of course doesn't count because Everybody got it so it doesn't really count since it wasn't restricted to 'us' and only one drink! But don't worry, I figured out how to sneak back down the stairwell and grab another glass - it's tough getting everything I deserve as an Elite that no one else does.

Denny

Denny, my only negatives were the very limited drinks and overcrowding (not the mingling) of the Wed night senior officers party and no cocktail party on the last night. It seems this is something new they are trying. All of the events were in the sky lounge. There were a large number of elites at the cocktail parties.

Hi Everyone !

I'd like to make some comments about this thread. Please allow me to vent :)

Many of us have requested/recommended/fought/begged/pleaded with Celebrity to offer this, and other benefits for years. I am one of many who kept fighting the fight, as I felt that Celebrity should offer the Elite Lounge, as it made sense to appreciate their most frequent and most loyal customers. As you know, I am a huge supporter of most anything that benefits and recognizes brand loyalty.

So here we are. We have what we wanted. My concern is, the economy stinks and Cruise lines are cutting back everywhere. I have to believe that if Celebrity could reverse this benefit, they would. I feel it's not a wise idea to complain about whatever tweaking they've done, as we run the risk of Celebrity stopping the program altogether. I'd rather have the benefit as it stands, than no benefit at all.

I certainly appreciate the discussion, but keep in mind that Celebrity reads this board. I hope we can be constructive, and use this thread as an opportunity to show our appreciation to Celebrity for the additional Captains Club benefits, instead of complaining about some minor tweaking. I truly hope you agree. Thank you !

I have the letter in hand that we received re: the CC functions on board Solstice two weeks ago...

The CC social hour as they called it was not held embarkation day and also on Thursday and Friday of the week. On Thursday they had Senior Officers Cocktail party from 7:45 to 8:30 PM which IMO is a problem for both late and early dining if you take into account the shows...

The Friday event was called the Captains Club Celebration which is billed as "new." It is written as a "unique and exciting social, entertainment and gourment tasting event for all members. I did not attend this event as I was enjoying myself at the pool. It was from 1:30P.M. to 3:00P.M.

Just over a year ago Celebrity rolled out the New Captains Club along with much needed improvements for the Elite level. One of the most popular of the New Elite Level Benefits is the Elite Lounge from 4:00pm to 6:00pm daily:

As noted in the quote from the Celebrity Captains Club Elite benefits page the lounge is closed on embarkation and disembarkation days.

However recently it has been brought to my attention that in addition to the dates stated above Celebrity has been closing the Elite lounge on 2 additional days onboard Solstice 7 night Caribbean sailings. The additional days are the day of the Captains Club Celebration and the Senior officers party. This means on a 7 night sailing the daily Elite lounge is really only open 4 days on 7 night sailings.

This was not the case on the one sailing on Century I've done with the New Elite benefits in November of last year. This has not been the case on some other sailings that some Elite level friends have expressed.

Is it fair that Celebrity would substitute two reworked older Benefits over the new offerings on certain days while still advertising it as a daily event?:confused:

Once more what happens if they do this substitution on a 5 night sailing, is the Elite lounge only open 2 days, or 1 day on a 4 night?:confused:

Joel

I have six cruises booked with Celebrity this year. None with Holland America. Primarily because of the new Captain's Club benefits. If they are going to water down these benefits, then I would hope that they would create an Elite Plus category similar to what Royal Carribean offers. I would also like to take my grandchildren on Royal Carribean, but as a Diamond Plus, not Diamond.

Hi Everyone !

Many of us have requested/recommended/fought/begged/pleaded with Celebrity to offer this, and other benefits for years. I am one of many who kept fighting the fight, as I felt that Celebrity should offer the Elite Lounge, as it made sense to appreciate their most frequent and most loyal customers. As you know, I am a huge supporter of most anything that benefits and recognizes brand loyalty.

So here we are. We have what we wanted. My concern is, the economy stinks and Cruise lines are cutting back everywhere. I have to believe that if Celebrity could reverse this benefit, they would. I feel it's not a wise idea to complain about whatever tweaking they've done, as we run the risk of Celebrity stopping the program altogether. I'd rather have the benefit as it stands, than no benefit at all.

I certainly appreciate the discussion, but keep in mind that Celebrity reads this board. I hope we can be constructive, and use this thread as an opportunity to show our appreciation to Celebrity for the additional Captains Club benefits, instead of complaining about some minor tweaking. I truly hope you agree. Thank you !

Andy well put .Why cry about a good thing ?

Our first experience with the Elite perk of social hour from 4 to 6 was a 7-night cruise -- Michael's Club was open all nights from 4 to 6 with the exception of embarkation day.

Next experience was a 12 night cruise -- again open all nights with the exception of embarkation day.

Next experience was a 7 night cruise - no 4 to 6 social hour on Embarkation Day, no 4 to 6 social hour on the Senior officer's cocktail party day (held from 7:45 pm until 8:30 pm), and no 4 to 6 social hour on the Captain's Club celebration event day (held in the middle of the afternoon on the last sea day). The senior officer's cocktail party and the Captain's club celebration event were both a ZOO.....nowhere near the atmosphere of the Michael's Club 4 to 6 social hour.

So, yes, in answer to Xcruiser's original question of "Is one of the most popular new Elite perks being chopped?.......in my opinion this perk has definitely been chopped!

Host Andy - I appreciate your comments about Celebrity reading this board, etc. I don't think anyone is really "complaining" per se......let's face is 4 nights is better than 0 nights. We are just pointing out that this perk has definitely been "cut back" - there is no denying that!

Hi Everyone !

I totally agree, with you Andy. Celebrity is stil a step above the rest, and I will enjoy the Elite events that they do have.

Well said Andy

By the way, there is no issue with the Senior Officers party being at 1945-2030. They had ensured this did not conflict with the shows and worked well in terms of timings for both sittings. Second sitting was at 2045 which is when they started the show that night for first seating guests.

My comments on this and the slight change on Eclipse on another thread relating to the quality of the output of the laundry perk are observations

Most loyalty schemes are being scaled back these days - bear in mind there is now a lot of research that loyalty can be retained by non monetary activities and that the bottom line benefits delivered from programmes is negligible if indeed it is positive.

I wonder if we had a cross section of frequent cruisers (not only those who come to these boards) what % would say that the top reason for their return cruises on a particular brand is the perks. It is more likely to be because they like the ships or the quality of service etc

In Dec 2009 we sailed on Mercury as Elites. The best part of the cruise was meeting other folks every evening in the elite lounge - which was the Pavilion night club. :) I DO like other people, but developed close friendships in the Elite Lounge.

If the Elite Lounge is not offered every night (not embark and Debark) on our Nov 2010 Mercury cruise, I will really miss it!

We usually take three cruises a year, this was an exception because of surgery.

One of the reasons we keep booking Celebrity is the great Elite perks. I'd hate to see them cut.:(

On the other hand, I am an RCL stockholder and want the company to be financially healthy! ;)

andy

i also agree with you.. I was in Alaska this summer and made it twice to the lounge.. i rather be out sightseeing or doing something else.. i love the free laundry.

as far as the senior officers party- been there twice.. i enjoyed the captain lunch with sandwishes and sushi more. i feel the time of the evening event prefect.. it is between both dinners.. i get there around 8 and the show is from 7 to 8 so why would anyone post about the shows.

Well said Andy

By the way, there is no issue with the Senior Officers party being at 1945-2030. They had ensured this did not conflict with the shows and worked well in terms of timings for both sittings. Second sitting was at 2045 which is when they started the show that night for first seating guests.

My comments on this and the slight change on Eclipse on another thread relating to the quality of the output of the laundry perk are observations

Most loyalty schemes are being scaled back these days - bear in mind there is now a lot of research that loyalty can be retained by non monetary activities and that the bottom line benefits delivered from programmes is negligible if indeed it is positive.

I wonder if we had a cross section of frequent cruisers (not only those who come to these boards) what % would say that the top reason for their return cruises on a particular brand is the perks. It is more likely to be because they like the ships or the quality of service etc

The show for late diners on our cruise was most nights at 7 and lasted about an hour.. Therefore there is a conflict...

I hope we all keep in mind that we aren't losing any Debarkation Happy Hr - we aren't aboard that evening, so lets drop the 'missing 2 nights - Embark/Debark'. And we aren't losing the Embark because it was never 'there' to be missed/chopped. The OP is complaining about the evening Elite lounge not being avail on the two general host party nights.

Personally, I enjoy the Elite Lounge, but didn't go every night. Had friends and other things come up at the same time and didn't feel as if I was losing anything. And yes I know that it was my choice. Heck, I didn't make the morning Elite breakfast alot. I love a freebee as much as anyone else and certainly take advantage of one, but the main focus for me is meeting other 'overachieving cruisers' through this program, having a drink or two, and feeling special. Realize the host parties are a bit more crowded, but then again, I enjoy those some...not as much, but do take advantage of them.

I understand the OP's point, and its good we all know that this may be occuring for future cruises. hate to stand outside Michaels Club to 2 hrs with my nose pressed against the door!

teajak - I get a little to 'cute' with my jokes and didn't mean to aim that one at you specifically.

Denny

I'm not so sure this is something new. We were on the March 19, 2010 10 day Equinox and the social gathering was not held on embarkment day or the Captain's Club party. There was a letter in our cabin letting us know when the Elite lounge would be available. Same was true in May on the Century and June on the Summit.

OP, I'm not sure how the 4-6pm cocktail party could be offered on disembarkment day.;) Also, how long was your Century cruise. Perhaps the Captain's Club celebration isn't offered on shorter cruises.

I'm just wondering if some if the cuts ie the two specific evenings mentioned where there are other events on have been done due to lack of interest in Michaels Club on those nights? I realise from this post many of you avail of the club however last Oct when my husband and I were on Solstice it was not well attended at all.

Most mornings it was only the two of us when we went down and in the evenings at times there were only approx eight of us.

Perhaps on some of the cruises the nights where an event is on they have figured out it just doesn't pay to open it.

Just a thought after my experience last year. I would miss it if it wasn't on as it is always something to look forward to and like others have mentioned where friendships are made.

I'm just wondering if some if the cuts ie the two specific evenings mentioned where there are other events on have been done due to lack of interest in Michaels Club on those nights? I realise from this post many of you avail of the club however last Oct when my husband and I were on Solstice it was not well attended at all.

Most mornings it was only the two of us when we went down and in the evenings at times there were only approx eight of us.

Perhaps on some of the cruises the nights where an event is on they have figured out it just doesn't pay to open it.

Just a thought after my experience last year. I would miss it if it wasn't on as it is always something to look forward to and like others have mentioned where friendships are made.

We have been on the Solstice 3 times this year. In Jan. Michaels club was overflowing with no seats available, in April and August lots of people in the sky lounge.

Denny, no harm-no foul, LOL. I really think it is foolish of Celebrity to switch a late afternoon cocktail party to 1:30 on the last day of a cruise. Most people either want to be by the pool or relaxing to keep from thinking about packing to go home.:(

Archived