warning to those without a passport

jamieng

Personally, I think that agent was just being a pain in the behind, and here are the reasons why. First, those agents are not employed by the cruise line and therefore have no power to deny anyone boarding. That would have to be done by a member of the ship's staff, such as a Purser or Captain. . . .

I really doubt the accuracy of your claim that the check-in agents are not employed by the cruise line. Royal Caribbean would likely open itself up to liability by using arms length parties to handle credit cards without informing credit card holders. I doubt too that Royal Caribbean would pay longshoreman wages when they likely can pay their own employees much less.

A Captain can certainly refuse boarding to anyone for any or no reason. But Royal Caribbean policy and regulation can also deny boarding even when the Captain is perfectly willing to allow a person aboard. Check out http://www.royalcaribbean.com/content/pdf/Refusal_To_Transport.pdf if you don't believe me. So anyone empowered to enforce Royal Caribbean policy and regulation has the authority to deny boarding, not just the Captain or (?) Purser.

Not sure your statement is 100% accurate. From the RCI employment website.......

Join our team as a Part-time Pier Agent!

This position is responsible for meet, greet and assist guests sailing on Royal Caribbean International and/or Celebrity Cruises in all aspects of shore-side operations. This includes (but is not limited to) airport meet and greet, hotel check-in, pier check-in, bus meet & greet, monitoring established metrics and standards in all operational airports and/or pier terminals. A large element of this position is to always portray a positive, efficient and professional corporate image. Additionally, the incumbent must be available to work on assigned operational hours/days or as operationally required at the discretion of the Supervisor. Agents will be utilized in all operational areas as operationally required at the discretion of the Supervisor-may be cross-utilized to perform pier or airport agent responsibilities subject to operational demands.

You are 100% correct!

But a couple in their 90s , that don't have passports, looking to cruise with their great, great, great grandchildren may not be looking at it from the "10 year lifespan" argument.

If they are in their 90's, I would suggest that they look at it from the "At our age, we are at a much higher risk of something happening to one or both of us that would cause one or both of us to have to fly home suddenly from a foreign port and we would need a passport to do so" angle. :)

I really doubt the accuracy of your claim that the check-in agents are not employed by the cruise line. Royal Caribbean would likely open itself up to liability by using arms length parties to handle credit cards without informing credit card holders. I doubt too that Royal Caribbean would pay longshoreman wages when they likely can pay their own employees much less.

A Captain can certainly refuse boarding to anyone for any or no reason. But Royal Caribbean policy and regulation can also deny boarding even when the Captain is perfectly willing to allow a person aboard. Check out http://www.royalcaribbean.com/content/pdf/Refusal_To_Transport.pdf if you don't believe me. So anyone empowered to enforce Royal Caribbean policy and regulation has the authority to deny boarding, not just the Captain or (?) Purser.

Just had to jump into the conversation when I saw this -- I periodically work at the pier in San Francisco checking in cruise passengers for various cruise lines. I am NOT an employee of any of the cruise lines, I am employed by third party companies. And yes we do have the authority to deny boarding and unfortunately it happens just about every sailing for passengers who do not have the proper documents as required by the individual cruise lines. And for the record we do not get anywhere near longshoreman's wages!!!!

Kiki it is the same at PC. I cruise all the cruiselines and the same workers are there at check in and even security. Security is always trying to remember what rules go with which cruise lines. Example: CCL allows 1 bottle of wine per person (carried on or checked) but only cooler smaller that 12"x12". RCCI doesn't allow wine but doesn't care about the cooler size.

Also, keep your expired passports. My GF grabbed hers by mistake and was allowed to board anyway. I think she had to pay immigration a small fine. You can also take that one ashore and keep the current one on the ship.

More on that here:

http://travel.state.gov/passport/faq/faq_1741.html

Q:I'm renewing my passport. Do I get the old one back?

a:Yes, we return the old, cancelled passport to you although it may be sent separately from your new passport. It is a good idea to keep it in a safe place as it is considered proof of your U.S. citizenship.

a:Yes, we return the old, cancelled passport to you although it may be sent separately from your new passport. It is a good idea to keep it in a safe place as it is considered proof of your U.S. citizenship.

Does that mean I only have to pay once and then can use it forever to prove my citizenship?

Does that mean I only have to pay once and then can use it forever to prove my citizenship?

expired passports - proof of citizenship - yes

to travel? - NO!

I don't have one. Cruised on the Freedom 8/29. When boarding, the person checking us in asked if I had my marriage license with me. I said no. She said she shouldn't let me on the ship because my last name on my birth cert and DL did not match. I explained that this was our 7th cruise (5th with RCI) and I've never been asked for my marriage license.

She gave me a long speech about new homeland security laws and that it's "highly suggested" I have passport because "how do I know you didn't find this birth cert on the street?" I knew she was stretching (what were the odds I'd find a birth cert with state, first and middle name, and birthdate the same as my DL) but I was extremely polite...I wanted to get on that ship!

She gave me a "pass" because my maiden name is on my kids' birth certs, and she "would link me to them that way." I thanked her over and over. It might have been just to scare me into getting a passport, as I've never had this problem in the past. Regardless...it worked. I will not sail with out a passport again.

So ladies...if you don't have a passport bring your marriage license!!!

Exact same thing happened to my mother. The woman was very nice and explained that they are getting strict with the requirements and that no one informed of us this and that next time to be sure she has it. I told my mom to get a passport for this cruise but she put it off due to cost. But she said she will for sure get one next time.

I honestly didn't mean to start a debate here. Just wanted to warn ladies w/out a passport to bring a marriage license or get one. I didn't know...and like I said this was our 7th cruise, so it was new to me.

As I get close to cruising, I frequently lurk on these boards, so it would've been nice to see something like this before I sailed.

I honestly didn't mean to start a debate here. Just wanted to warn ladies w/out a passport to bring a marriage license or get one. I didn't know...and like I said this was our 7th cruise, so it was new to me.

As I get close to cruising, I frequently lurk on these boards, so it would've been nice to see something like this before I sailed.

No need to apologize. You were doing us a favour. ;) If you've been around this board for a while, I'm sure you realize that it doesn't take much to get us going. :D

Its here but you might have just missed it :) And being that you had never experienced it before, you didnt know to search for it either.

I was lucky enough to find out the info right here from this board in time for my mom to get a Passport on our last cruise. Im not sure if you read my response to your thread here but it would have been much more difficult to provide a paper trail back to her maiden name than get a Passport.

She applied for the Passport and in 26 days (non expidited) it was delivered.

I also second the fact that you were doing the married ladies who dont have a Passport a real favor by posting this no matter how some insist on it not being required or asked for.

Please, no apology is needed, you've given valuable information thru your experience.

I think you, along with others who chimed in have opened the eyes of those who chose not to see the truth. ;)

The pier agent was just doing her job, I suspect she is one of a few who really follow the rules a little more closely, she picked you as her setting an example that day! :eek:

Archived