Missing my blue folder..

matondo

I just needed to share with my CC friends. This is my first cruise using e-docs. I just got the e-mail yesterday. I know it is a huge savings for HAL but......I really, really, really missing getting my docs in the mail.

Would it help if I printed them off and put them in one of my old folders that I have saved? Somehow telling me I need to print off my documents just isn't the same as stalking brown or whatever means they used to get our docs until the magical day it arrives at your front porch.

Thank you...it feels good just to put it out there as I know you all probably can relate to what I am feeling.

Why not put your e-docs in one of your olf blue folders? I did that once. But I decided that since I also have to take another folder for hotel reservaations and air reservations I am just going to take one folder instead of 2 -- my bigger one -- especially since I only have 2 pages from HAL -- one for each of us -- Singature Boarding pass.

Our first experience with e-docs was actually on our one and only Celebrity cruise in 2005. I remember us being disappointed at the time as we were used to the HAL blue folders and were kind of looking forward to see how Celebrity would handle it. There were a handful of us from the HAL side who crossed over for this cruise so we all shared some level of dismay. Next cruise on HAL and it was e-docs and we still kind of missed the folder but we're used to it now and quite frankly being able to handle so much of the administrative end of the cruise on line is really pretty nice. For us it's actually kind of reassuring we can enter information on line and make sure it's all correct. Couple of pieces of paper slipped into the side pocket of one of our carry on bags, our passports, and a charge card and we're pretty much good to go paper wise. Lots less to lose or misplace and easily retrievable even if, heaven forbid, we were to leave home without some of it. Quite frankly the last two terminal check-ins and I don't even remember them asking much more than our names so the computer age is fully here. Maybe some of that magic moment you got the folder is missing.

Imagine the hassle it was boarding the Mayflower. All the documents had to be hand scribed in ink.

Not to mention Moses's docs. His had to be scribed on parchment!!! :(

Then there was President Adams wife Abigail. They brought a cow on her voyage to England. How much paper work did that require? BTW-her ship waited a month offshore for the wind to come up. Do you suppose they received any compensation?:D

:cool:I am still waiting to go on our first cruise in December. But with all of my research about cruising and HAL in particular it seems that to keep the basic price of cruising 'reasonable' the cruiselines have created new way to upcharge us for things (I am not complaing BTW). They should have an option for having our documents delivered in their classic blue folder for a simple fee. So will opt out for it and others whole like 'hard copies' will opt in.

AQt the cruise terminal all we turned over to the agent was our passports -- didn't even take the Signature Boarding Pass out of my folder.

Same for us...... we never even showed our Boarding Passes when we checked in for Westerdam, Eurodam or several times on Maasdam in the last year.

All you need is passport.

We still have 2 of the blue folders. We use them every cruise for all our documents, boarding passes (which they never ask for) , passports, our flight info, travel protection, our service dog papers and any thing else we printed up for our trip. I also miss getting the packet in the mail. But the folders are great for carrying everything.

I just needed to share with my CC friends. This is my first cruise using e-docs. I just got the e-mail yesterday. I know it is a huge savings for HAL but......I really, really, really missing getting my docs in the mail.

Would it help if I printed them off and put them in one of my old folders that I have saved? Somehow telling me I need to print off my documents just isn't the same as stalking brown or whatever means they used to get our docs until the magical day it arrives at your front porch.

Thank you...it feels good just to put it out there as I know you all probably can relate to what I am feeling.

Understand & I too miss the new blue silky pouch but as Randy says having everything on-line is so much more practical for both HAL & us..I like being able to print only the docs & tags which we need & it saves paper....

Several years ago we booked at the last minute & never received the new blue silky pouch,But my Friend did not want hers & gave it to me..She is not a saver as I am..;)

Stole this idea from another CC poster whose wife made hers into an evening bag..

Since the pouch matches a blue silky pants outfit which I take on cruises perfectly, I decided to do the same..

However, not being a seamstress had to improvise..Found a lovely flower pin of blue, pink & green stones in my jewelry box..Pinned it the outside bottom of the bag in the middle..Purchased matching blue cord from Jo-Ann Fabrics & slightly braided two pieces to make it stronger..Taped the ends with blue tape & sewed it to the inside of the bag for a shoulder strap..That's the tricky part, you have to sew it to the edge of the bound plastic so it does not tear the material..

It's a perfect evening bag & holds tissues, lip gloss, my key card & a few dollars to gamble with..

Cheers....:)Betty

We were really excited about getting the 'blue folder" and doing our first going on a cruise dance. Things change.

In a business sense, going to E-docs was a huge cost savings for Holland America.

We have since adapted and the most important thing is just getting on the "Dam" ship and cruising again.

We are getting the paper e-docs. I requested them from our TA. They will cost $25.00, small price for something to look forward to in the mail. I didn't know we could still get them until I asked our TA. So now I have something to watch for with great anticipation.:D

We are getting the paper e-docs. I requested them from our TA. They will cost $25.00, small price for something to look forward to in the mail. I didn't know we could still get them until I asked our TA. So now I have something to watch for with great anticipation.:D

If you want to spend the money, the blue folder is still available.

A few years back we bought leather passport/ticket holders. They are not only good looking, but they are functional for holding both our passports and our e-documentation....

You won't miss the folder if you get this sort of thing.

P11996995.jpg

Maybe I an odd, but I get just as excited when I get the e-mail saying my cruise documents are ready for printing as I did when I got the package in the mail. It means the same thing. I do still use one of the old blue folders for my documents because it protects them in my backpack.

It all works for me. I still get to go on my cruise so whether or not I get a blue folder in the mail is rather irrelevant....but that is just me. I don`t expect everyone else to feel the same:eek:

A few years back we bought leather passport/ticket holders. They are not only good looking, but they are functional for holding both our passports and our e-documentation....

You won't miss the folder if you get this sort of thing.

P11996995.jpg

actually I have oneof those. don't like them as much as the HAL folder believe it or not (my passport popped out one time -scary moment). we like HAL's it holds more money (different currencies and two passports easily)

Just my preference. :):)

Archived