Bad news for all Cruise Critic Groups on Carnival

jandjfun

[quote name='Sargent_Schultz']One person = One deposit.

If two people choose a specific cabin, they have to pay two full deposits. If a single chooses a specific cabin (or not) they pay one full deposit.

One person does not pay two deposits.[/quote]

Do you realize how petty you sound. I know you know that she means one deposit twice the amount.

[quote name='firefly333']Whooosh, right over my head. Why would a quad complain when the extra people, instead of paying double, are charged less than pax 1 and 2?? what does quads not complaining have to do with solo's wanting the full OBC that other cabins get. Carnival wants it both ways seems to me.

Just as a example. pax 1 and 2 are paying $269 for a 4A and pax 3 is only paying $129 on Ecstasy. They are paying less than half.[/quote]

So here is an idea I have been thinking of to trick the system.

If I was to go on a cruise alone, I have to pay for 2 people in the cabin, but I only get one OBC, correct.

What if I booked the cruise for me and someone else (mom, wife, brother, who ever) and then when I check in, they are a no show. because our reservations were linked, and going to share a sign and sail account, would the second obc show up, like it does when a husband and wife share their sign and sail account?

Could do the check in for both people, and they the second person just never gets on the ship, never registers their sign and sail card.

What would happen.

[quote name='waldocruiser1']So here is an idea I have been thinking of to trick the system.

If I was to go on a cruise alone, I have to pay for 2 people in the cabin, but I only get one OBC, correct.

What if I booked the cruise for me and someone else (mom, wife, brother, who ever) and then when I check in, they are a no show. because our reservations were linked, and going to share a sign and sail account, would the second obc show up, like it does when a husband and wife share their sign and sail account?

Could do the check in for both people, and they the second person just never gets on the ship, never registers their sign and sail card.

What would happen.[/quote]

Excellent...wonder why no one ever thought of that before??
It makes NO sense to me why they can't give you OBC for two people if you are paying for two people. :mad:

[quote name='waldocruiser1']So here is an idea I have been thinking of to trick the system.

What would happen.[/quote]

A few things wrong with that theory.

One person in fact pays less than two people - one person only pays one set of govt taxes and fees. So you would be paying more money upfront to try to get that OBC.

To check in requires a person and a passport (or other documents). You can't check in for someone else.

The OBC will be split against both S&S accounts. If one is a no show, the other half of the OBC would not be transferred to your account. It would be forfeited.

[quote name='firefly333']I guess Im backing off my position that this is Carnival's fault. Their position is that they told these TAs well in advance of them taking these bookings. That the TAs thuoght/hoped that Carnival would relent or push back the date (as Carnival has done before). .. but the TAs knew 6 months ago, so its the TAs fault for not telling their clients that this might happen when they took the bookings.[/quote]

[B]Not true Fire. I checked with Mach when I first heard about this in late August. He said he had just heard about it, wasn't happy, but said it hadn't been released to the public yet, just wait and it would hit the boards soon. I do groups for an online agency, and the head of the agency knew nothing about it, so he called his Carnival Rep, and we had a 3 way conversation and she explained it, but said it wasn't written in stone yet, and really hadn't been released because there was so much contravercy. She said it would hit the website soon. That was the last week in August or so.[/B]

[quote name='lnew1gd1']Well, I am a TA and had no idea until I received the notice from Carnival this month.[/quote]

Ditto!!

[quote name='Sargent_Schultz']It seems to me that they do NOT cancel your reservation if you don't cough up any additional deposit. You just don't get to play with your reservation until you do pay.

Where is there a breach?[/quote]

[B]I'm talking with the Carnival Rep on Monday, she has been in meetings all week, (No such luck, but maybe about this). My group's pmt is due December 3rd, it has been booked over a year. About half (11) cabins have the full deposit, and the rest have various amounts. For us it is only a month, but the fact that they are making this change for existing reservations is not fair when other arrangements had been agreed to. I have no problem with them changing the rules, but not mid-stream. It was my understanding that your booking would be cancelled, payment held, and you could wait until the due date, but you would have to book at current rates, which are much higher now that when I booked the group over a year ago. I'll know for sure when I talk to her on Monday.[/B]

[B]That's my 2 cents, and I'm sticking to it.[/B]

[quote name='jandjfun']I can understand the double deposit for Solo, but I never understood why you don't get double the amenities. You paid for two, you should get twice the amenities unless the amenities are "per cabin". .[/quote]

[COLOR=black][FONT=Verdana][SIZE=3][COLOR=darkred]I totally agree, that is why the :mad: face. I pay for two therefore I am the whole cabin and should get the benefits of two full fare paying customers. We even get screwed with FCC's, solo bookings only get half the advertised OBC even if we pay the same for the certificate and 200% single supplement.[/COLOR][/SIZE] [/FONT][/COLOR]

[quote name='lnew1gd1']I all ready repied to this statement before you brought it up now. I am a TA, I did not get notice of this policy change until the beginning of September and I set up a new group cruise in mid August with the same $25 deposit that they say will now not hold a confirmation.

So, no, Carnival did not notify all TA early if they notified any. Don't assume what you don't know.

I am not looking for a lawsuit...just saying that they are changing the terms of a contract and that is what the jist of this thread is about... it's not here for posters to bash other posters for their reasons for using the $25 deposit offered to them.[/quote]

Then it is your job as an agent of your customers to contact Carnival and explain to them that your customers accepted Carnival's offer and that Carnival is bound to that offer. If need be contact the AG of Florida. Florida's AG is quite familiar with Carnival since the fuel supplement. Let the AG look into this and then you don't have to worry about filing a lawsuit.

[quote name='StevieG']The plenty of notice you are talking about was about a week, then the person running this site asked her to wait until Monday instead of dropping a bomb like this during a weekend when they would be closed. So Carnival did not give them plenty of time.[/quote]

You heard one thing - I heard another. Who know who heard right.

[quote name='Cuizer2']Then it is your job as an agent of your customers to contact Carnival and explain to them that your customers accepted Carnival's offer and that Carnival is bound to that offer. If need be contact the AG of Florida. Florida's AG is quite familiar with Carnival since the fuel supplement. Let the AG look into this and then you don't have to worry about filing a lawsuit.[/quote]

I really don't need or appreciate anyone telling me what my job responsibilities are.....I go above and beyond for all my clients at all times. I am well aware of my responsibilities and provide a service with very high standards.

[quote name='Pistol Packin Mama'][B]Not true Fire. I checked with Mach when I first heard about this in late August. He said he had just heard about it, wasn't happy, but said it hadn't been released to the public yet, just wait and it would hit the boards soon. I do groups for an online agency, and the head of the agency knew nothing about it, so he called his Carnival Rep, and we had a 3 way conversation and she explained it, but said it wasn't written in stone yet, and really hadn't been released because there was so much contravercy. She said it would hit the website soon. That was the last week in August or so.[/B]

Ditto!!

[B]I'm talking with the Carnival Rep on Monday, she has been in meetings all week, (No such luck, but maybe about this). My group's pmt is due December 3rd, it has been booked over a year. About half (11) cabins have the full deposit, and the rest have various amounts. For us it is only a month, but the fact that they are making this change for existing reservations is not fair when other arrangements had been agreed to. I have no problem with them changing the rules, but not mid-stream. It was my understanding that your booking would be cancelled, payment held, and you could wait until the due date, but you would have to book at current rates, which are much higher now that when I booked the group over a year ago. I'll know for sure when I talk to her on Monday.[/B]

[B]That's my 2 cents, and I'm sticking to it.[/B][/quote]

Then it is your job as an agent of your customers to contact Carnival and explain to them that your customers accepted Carnival's offer and that Carnival is bound to that offer. If need be contact the AG of Florida. Florida's AG is quite familiar with Carnival since the fuel supplement. Let the AG look into this and then you don't have to worry about filing a lawsuit.

[quote name='halos']I mentioned in an earlier post that I popped an email off to CCL about how crappy this was (for existing bookings)...I understand why they are doing this, but again, Carnival's way of doing things is always piss-poor.

Anyway, low and behold I get an email survey from NCL today (me and a lot of other NCL cruisers)...it seems they are going to make some positive changes. The survey was [I][U]very[/U][/I] long....quite well done and mostly about implementing a newer, better past guest rewards system. Plus, digging to figure out what is really important to you when you cruise. It was a very good survey.

It's going to cost CCL...Other lines are trying make changes for the better and CCL has had one thing after another (since the new management rolled in) that is pissing their customers off.
I seriously don't know what they're doing......BUT other lines are going to jump on this oportunity to look better......

CCL builds new ships that are bigger models of the same old, same old.
RCI builds new ships with new stuff (not that it appeals to everyone, but it's a change from the same old thing)

CCL screws with their solo cruisers
NCL builds a ship that has cabins specifically FOR solo cruisers.

...I could go on....

CCL is not headed in a good direction the way I am seeing it. :([/quote]

very well said...

[quote name='Pistol Packin Mama']

[/quote]

Maybe they do cancel, but I don't see anything about higher rates..

"Effective November 1, 2010 for all [B]existing[/B] and new group bookings sailing January 2011 and onward, Carnival will require the FULL per person deposit in order to secure a reservation number. For those reservations that are currently booked with only the $ 25 per person reduced deposit, the [B]FULL per person deposit is required to be paid prior to November 1, 2010[/B] so you can maintain your reservation number. [B]If you choose not to satisfy the FULL per person deposit by November 1, 2010, then your reservation will CANCEL[/B] and the $ 25 per person deposit will remain on group level without a booking number associated with it until the full per person deposit is paid, at which time you will be rebooked into the group and a new reservation number will be established."

[quote name='Sargent_Schultz']Maybe they do cancel, but I don't see anything about higher rates..

"Effective November 1, 2010 for all [B]existing[/B] and new group bookings sailing January 2011 and onward, Carnival will require the FULL per person deposit in order to secure a reservation number. For those reservations that are currently booked with only the $ 25 per person reduced deposit, the [B]FULL per person deposit is required to be paid prior to November 1, 2010[/B] so you can maintain your reservation number. [B]If you choose not to satisfy the FULL per person deposit by November 1, 2010, then your reservation will CANCEL[/B] and the $ 25 per person deposit will remain on group level without a booking number associated with it until the full per person deposit is paid, at which time you will be rebooked into the group and a new reservation number will be established."[/QUOTE]

Nor do you see anything about them holding the booked rate. :rolleyes: If I had to guess, and it's ONLY a guess, Carnival will not guarantee the current rate anymore than they are allowing people who booked ES at 150% single supplement are allowed to get price breaks. It appears that everything Carnival is doing is for their benefit and they are forgetting their customers.

[SIZE="2"]And YES I do know they are a business and out to make a profit[/SIZE] but there is a right way and a wrong way to treat your customers and IMHO this is the wrong way!

[quote name='firefly333']Actually, if I cruise solo, I feel a bit ripped off to pay for food for 2... just being honest.

I can see paying extra, but 200% to me seems a bit much. Enough so Carnival is probably going to lose most of my future bookings. I can find less than 200% on other cruiselines.
PS so explain to me again why you are against the solo cruiser getting full amenities .. the OBC for owning stock and FCC OBC? Why again do you think the amount of OBC of these should be cut in half?[/quote]

[SIZE=3]I have no idea why you think I am against solo cruisers getting full amenities. Honestly I think Carnival is acting quite dishonorably.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]My original question put with a bit of humour was what extra amenities do solos want? BTW you weren't the poster[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]I was responding to.[/SIZE]

[quote name='jandjfun'][FONT=Arial][U][SIZE=5]Here is the email group leaders recieved this morning from the cruise critic TA.[/SIZE][/U][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial][B][U][SIZE=1][/SIZE][/U][/B][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial][B][U][SIZE=1]Carnival's New Group Deposit Policy and Its Impact on You[/SIZE][/U][/B][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial][FONT=Arial][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial]Effective November 1, 2010 for all [B]existing[/B] and new group bookings sailing January 2011 and onward, Carnival will require the FULL per person deposit in order to secure a reservation number. For those reservations that are currently booked with only the $ 25 per person reduced deposit, the [B]FULL per person deposit is required to be paid prior to November 1, 2010[/B] so you can maintain your reservation number. [B]If you choose not to satisfy the FULL per person deposit by November 1, 2010, then your reservation will CANCEL[/B] and the $ 25 per person deposit will remain on group level without a booking number associated with it until the full per person deposit is paid, at which time you will be rebooked into the group and a new reservation number will be established.[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial][FONT=Arial][SIZE=2][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial]Without a booking number [B]you will have NO visibility[/B] into your reservation on Carnival's website and ANY previously secured modifications to your booking will also CANCEL, including but not limited to the following:[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial][B]- secured dining times (i.e. early, late or anytime dining)[/B][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial][B]- booked shore excursions[/B][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial][B]- completed Funpass[/B][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial][B]- submitted coupons, Funship Dollars or Future Cruise Certificates[/B][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial][B]- applied stockholder onboard credit[/B][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial][B]- purchased Bon Voyage items[/B][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial]We have attached a letter from Carnival Cruise Lines informing you of these new policy changes being imposed and enforced by Carnival. In addition, you may view the Group Deposit policy and FAQs on Carnival's website goccl.com and select the link in the bottom left hand corner titled Group Deposit Policy under the Latest News & Updates section.[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial]We at ****** fully understand the confusion and concern that will be associated with Carnival's new Group Deposit Policy. We want you to know that we are dedicated to answering all questions and will handle your reservation in a manner that best suits your needs. Please feel free to contact me directly either by phone or email to address any questions and to advise me how you would like to maintain your reservation. It is your choice as to whether or not you prefer to keep your reduced deposit with Carnival (and forfeit your current reservation number) until the second deposit is due, or if you prefer to maintain your current reservation number by paying the additional deposit prior to November 1, 2010.[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial]I look forward to hearing from you before the November 1, 2010 deadline in order to answer any questions and assist you with securing your reservation. [/FONT]

[/FONT]

[/FONT]

[/FONT]

[/FONT]

[/FONT]

[/FONT]

[/FONT][/QUOTE]

[SIZE="4"][COLOR="Red"][FONT="Franklin Gothic Medium"]WOW! :eek: I didn't even get an email from Johna on this. :confused: :( Glad I found this thread or I wouldn't have had any idea. That really stinks.

[url]https://www.goccl.com/content/news_and_alerts/documents/GroupDepositPolicy.pdf[/url]

5. Q - Will any bookings be grandfathered in?
A - All existing 2011 bookings must be current with the required payments by November 1, 2010. Any 2010 bookings will be within the final payment stage at that time therefore, deposit required will have been met.[/FONT][/COLOR][/SIZE]

[quote name='Pistol Packin Mama']And did a great job I might add.:)[/quote]

[quote name='Koval'][SIZE=5][COLOR=indigo]Ditto that![/COLOR][/SIZE][/quote]

[I][FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=5][COLOR=blue]Thank you. :D[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/I]
[I][FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=5][COLOR=#0000ff]I'm glad they worked out so well. ;)[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/I]

[quote name='Sargent_Schultz']A few things wrong with that theory.

One person in fact pays less than two people - [COLOR=red]one person only pays one set of govt taxes and fees.[/COLOR] So you would be paying more money upfront to try to get that OBC.

[/quote]

RCCL & Celebrity only charge one set of fees for the NCF formerly called port charges also. One reason why a single booking on those lines are anywhere from $100 to $200 or more lower for a single than on Carnival.:eek:

[quote name='Sargent_Schultz']Maybe they do cancel, but I don't see anything about higher rates..

"Effective November 1, 2010 for all [B]existing[/B] and new group bookings sailing January 2011 and onward, Carnival will require the FULL per person deposit in order to secure a reservation number. For those reservations that are currently booked with only the $ 25 per person reduced deposit, the [B]FULL per person deposit is required to be paid prior to November 1, 2010[/B] so you can maintain your reservation number. [B]If you choose not to satisfy the FULL per person deposit by November 1, 2010, then your reservation will CANCEL[/B] and the $ 25 per person deposit will remain on group level without a booking number associated with it until the full per person deposit is paid, at which time you will be rebooked into the group and a new reservation number will be established."[/quote]
They will be paying a very small amount more. When carnival changes the rule about TA's not discounting their prices anymore, all (or most) of the group prices went up. The price increase didn't effect the ones already booked, only the ones booking after whatever date the policy went into effect. And seriously the amt. it went up was really minor. But still it did go up.
[quote name='AuntieBon']Nor do you see anything about them holding the booked rate. :rolleyes: If I had to guess, and it's ONLY a guess, Carnival will not guarantee the current rate anymore than they are allowing people who booked ES at 150% single supplement are allowed to get price breaks. It appears that everything Carnival is doing is for their benefit and they are forgetting their customers.

[SIZE=2]And YES I do know they are a business and out to make a profit[/SIZE] but there is a right way and a wrong way to treat your customers and IMHO this is the wrong way![/quote]
If it is a group booking, the groups prices will remain the same until they cruise. So if someone has to cancel and then rebook, it will be at the groups rate. Not the going rate to the public.

[quote name='jandjfun']
If it is a group booking, the groups prices will remain the same until they cruise. So if someone has to cancel and then rebook, it will be at the groups rate. Not the going rate to the public.[/quote]

[I][FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=purple]That is until they begin to recall blocked space, then the price will go up. :eek:[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/I]

[quote name='jandjfun']They will be paying a very small amount more. When carnival changes the rule about TA's not discounting their prices anymore, all (or most) of the group prices went up. The price increase didn't effect the ones already booked, only the ones booking after whatever date the policy went into effect. And seriously the amt. it went up was really minor. But still it did go up.

If it is a group booking, the groups prices will remain the same until they cruise. So if someone has to cancel and then rebook, it will be at the groups rate. Not the going rate to the public.[/quote]

[quote name='reggierail'][I][FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=purple]That is until they begin to recall blocked space, then the price will go up. :eek:[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/I][/quote]
[B][SIZE=4][COLOR=Indigo]Reggie, meet my friend Janet from my 1st Spirit Cruise, and Janet, this is Reggie, my friend from my 2nd Spirit cruise.[/COLOR][/SIZE][/B]

I placed a question yesterday on the Carnival web asking when the new Deposit policy went into affect and when did they inform the TA's of this change: this is the answer I received from a supervisor: it is posted on the Carnival forum under Carnival Assistance. (New Group Deposit Policy heading)

[B]The deposit policy is not changing, it's simply that new automation enhancements are allowing us to now enforce our existing policy. Travel agents were just notified within the last few days that we would be enforcing our standard deposit requirements. In the long run, enforcing deposits will result in group space staying open longer and better pricing stability for all of our guests. [/B]

[quote name='Cuizer2']Then it is your job as an agent of your customers to contact Carnival and explain to them that your customers accepted Carnival's offer and that Carnival is bound to that offer. If need be contact the AG of Florida. Florida's AG is quite familiar with Carnival since the fuel supplement. Let the AG look into this and then you don't have to worry about filing a lawsuit.[/quote]

[B]I plan to do that Monday when I speak to the rep.[/B]

"Effective November 1, 2010 for all [B]existing[/B] and new group bookings sailing January 2011 and onward, Carnival will require the FULL per person deposit in order to secure a reservation number. For those reservations that are currently booked with only the $ 25 per person reduced deposit, the [B]FULL per person deposit is required to be paid prior to November 1, 2010[/B] so you can maintain your reservation number. [B]If you choose not to satisfy the FULL per person deposit by November 1, 2010, then your reservation will CANCEL[/B] and the $ 25 per person deposit will remain on group level without a booking number associated with it until the full per person deposit is paid, at which time you will be rebooked into the group and a new reservation number will be established."[/quote]

[B]The details are really convoluted at this time. We shall see. When I talked with her briefly, I got the impression that any space you had left without deposit, or with the $50 deposit, would go back to Carnival. I'll know more on Monday.[/B]

Archived