Bad news for all Cruise Critic Groups on Carnival

jandjfun

This will have no effect on me as I cruise solo. We always get stuck having to pay the full deposit amount along with 200% single supplement. To top it all off we only get half of any monitory benefits, OBC, etc. for any promotions.:mad:

I can understand the double deposit for Solo, but I never understood why you don't get double the amenities. You paid for two, you should get twice the amenities unless the amenities are "per cabin".

I guess Im backing off my position that this is Carnival's fault. Their position is that they told these TAs well in advance of them taking these bookings. That the TAs thuoght/hoped that Carnival would relent or push back the date (as Carnival has done before). .. but the TAs knew 6 months ago, so its the TAs fault for not telling their clients that this might happen when they took the bookings.

I don't think the TA knew about this a year ago when we started booking our group. A lot of groups are booked over a year out.

And regardless of if the TA's knew or not, Carnival still is not honoring the contract they have with CC. But it seems there is nothing we can do about it.

Seems that a lot of the posts/posters here are missing the point. Carnival reneged on a contract that they had made with customers. Not acceptable. Just you try doing that to them and see what the ramifications would be.

Are you sure about this. From what I hear Carnival gave the TA plenty of notice and the TA was hoping to get Carnival to change its decision, so the TA kept the information from the passengers who were booking.

I don't think the TA has provide ALL the facts. I think Carnival did make the change going forward, but the TA didn't let the client know until it became obvious that Carnival would not change its decision.

Nonetheless, if you really believe Carnival is breaching its contract, then get a lawyer and file a breach of contract lawsuit.

Exactly! I went from needing to make a payment in November 2011 to one due in a little more than 30 days. :eek:

It is very likely your TA knew about this long ago and just didn't inform you. Why don't you ask your TA when Carnival first notified him/her about this.

I can understand the double deposit for Solo, but I never understood why you don't get double the amenities. You paid for two, you should get twice the amenities unless the amenities are "per cabin".

I don't think the TA knew about this a year ago when we started booking our group. A lot of groups are booked over a year out.

And regardless of if the TA's knew or not, Carnival still is not honoring the contract they have with CC. But it seems there is nothing we can do about it.

If you are correct, then file a breach of contract lawsuit against Carnival.

Are you sure about this. From what I hear Carnival gave the TA plenty of notice and the TA was hoping to get Carnival to change its decision, so the TA kept the information from the passengers who were booking.

I don't think the TA has provide ALL the facts. I think Carnival did make the change going forward, but the TA didn't let the client know until it became obvious that Carnival would not change its decision.

Nonetheless, if you really believe Carnival is breaching its contract, then get a lawyer and file a breach of contract lawsuit.

Now stop and think about what you just typed. If Carnival started the policy "going forward" then none of us already booked a long time ago would have to come up with the remaining deposit by Nov. 1st. It would only apply to folks booking into groups now forming.

When carnival sets the price, and makes the contract with cruise critic, they tell us what the details are. THEY offered the 25 dollar deposit, and it was accepted by cruise critic. NOW they are changing the contracts with people already booked and saying we have to pay the full deposit by Nov. That is not "going forward"

If you are correct, then file a breach of contract lawsuit against Carnival.

maybe it should be a class action suit.

Now stop and think about what you just typed. If Carnival started the policy "going forward" then none of us already booked a long time ago would have to come up with the remaining deposit by Nov. 1st. It would only apply to folks booking into groups now forming.

When carnival sets the price, and makes the contract with cruise critic, they tell us what the details are. THEY offered the 25 dollar deposit, and it was accepted by cruise critic. NOW they are changing the contracts with people already booked and saying we have to pay the full deposit by Nov. That is not "going forward"

It depends on when Carnival notified the TA of the change.

maybe it should be a class action suit.

Contact your attorney.

Sorry, you are correct. The deposit is a full deposit at the time of booking. They just have to pay the full amt. for two people in the end.

I guess that is what I meant.

Full amount for the cabin, but again, not double on Gov't fees and taxes so a single does cruise from something less than two.

In addition, they only pay tips for one person, not two.

I think if you consider this a double deposit or not depends on the person. If I have to pay two deposits and Im only one person ... its semantics.

One person = One deposit.

If two people choose a specific cabin, they have to pay two full deposits. If a single chooses a specific cabin (or not) they pay one full deposit.

One person does not pay two deposits.

Do you want 2X the towel animals? Twice the food? :confused:

Do you want 2X the towel animals? Twice the food? :confused:

Actually, if I cruise solo, I feel a bit ripped off to pay for food for 2... just being honest.

I can see paying extra, but 200% to me seems a bit much. Enough so Carnival is probably going to lose most of my future bookings. I can find less than 200% on other cruiselines.

On the other hand, Carnival is going to find some of those 1As less in demand. The 1As were sold out on my upcoming, when everyone else got price drops, too bad for me unless I gave up my 1A. Got a nice price drop yesterday, 1A now came open. Another one today on my cruise. Carnival might be making some better deals on those 1As. .. so Im not closing the door on Carnival .. but they need to make me a better deal than Im seeing to get me to book more cruises with them.

PS so explain to me again why you are against the solo cruiser getting full amenities .. the OBC for owning stock and FCC OBC? Why again do you think the amount of OBC of these should be cut in half?

Carnival basically makes no money on the cabins. They make money on shore excursions, bars, etc.

In general, a single is not going to spend as much once on the ship as two people. In general, a single will not tip as much as two.

OTOH,

Do four people in a cabin get twice the OBC as two people? I don't see a lot of quads complaining?

[quote name='Sargent_Schultz']Carnival basically makes no money on the cabins. They make money on shore excursions, bars, etc.

In general, a single is not going to spend as much once on the ship as two people. In general, a single will not tip as much as two.

OTOH,

[COLOR=Red]Do four people in a cabin get twice the OBC as two people? I don't see a lot of quads complaining?[/COLOR][/quote]

Whooosh, right over my head. Why would a quad complain when the extra people, instead of paying double, are charged less than pax 1 and 2?? what does quads not complaining have to do with solo's wanting the full OBC that other cabins get. Carnival wants it both ways seems to me.

Just as a example. pax 1 and 2 are paying $269 for a 4A and pax 3 is only paying $129 on Ecstasy. They are paying less than half.

[quote name='firefly333']Whooosh, right over my head. Why would a quad complain when the extra people, instead of paying double, are charged less than pax 1 and 2?? what does quads not complaining have to do with solo's wanting the full OBC that other cabins get. Carnival wants it both ways seems to me.

Just as a example. pax 1 and 2 are paying $269 for a 4A and pax 3 is only paying $129 on Ecstasy. They are paying less than half.[/quote]

Those 3 people spend, in total, about 3 times the amount 1 person does, once on the ship. They also pay 3 sets of tips, etc.

In addition, a lot of services on the ship are outsourced (like the shops). Unless it has changed, the outsourced services are guaranteed the ship will sail full or there are penalties to the cruise line. A full ship is based on two people per cabin. A third person in a cabin offsets a single, so is a better proposition for Carnival.

[quote name='Sargent_Schultz']Those 3 people spend, in total, about 3 times the amount 1 person does, once on the ship. They also pay 3 sets of tips, etc.

In addition, a lot of services on the ship are outsourced (like the shops). Unless it has changed, the outsourced services are guaranteed the ship will sail full or there are penalties to the cruise line. A full ship is based on two people per cabin. A third person in a cabin offsets a single, so is a better proposition for Carnival.[/quote]

I thought the issue was you said the quad folks didnt complain about the OBC .... and I highlighted the part about the quad complaining ... so how does this all this about Carnival profits pertain to what you said and what I asked [COLOR=Red]why would the quad complain[/COLOR].. (I didnt ask why would Carnival like it, we know they would)

All this is about Carnival and profits .. not a word explaining why you stated the quad didnt complain. If the perks are per cabin ... then the cabin, no matter how many are booked should get the full perks. If they are per person .. then everyone in the quad is welcome to the perks, fine with me.

My worthless 2 cents......

If you take a whole cabin as a single, carnival is losing money on tips, excursions, drinks, etc. versus a full cabin. It makes sense to pay more than a double or quad and to get less OBC. Economics.

It also make sense for quads to pay less due to the opposite of the above. More money spent from that cabin on tips, drinks, excursions. Carnival makes more on this cabin, so they get lower fares or more OBC.

Its all about money and it seems fair to me. We pay more if I want to choose my cabin and you pay more if you want to cruise single. The costs all come from what Carnival makes on such a cabin arrangement. Our choice. Seems fair to me.

I mentioned in an earlier post that I popped an email off to CCL about how crappy this was (for existing bookings)...I understand why they are doing this, but again, Carnival's way of doing things is always piss-poor.

Anyway, low and behold I get an email survey from NCL today (me and a lot of other NCL cruisers)...it seems they are going to make some positive changes. The survey was [I][U]very[/U][/I] long....quite well done and mostly about implementing a newer, better past guest rewards system. Plus, digging to figure out what is really important to you when you cruise. It was a very good survey.

It's going to cost CCL...Other lines are trying make changes for the better and CCL has had one thing after another (since the new management rolled in) that is pissing their customers off.
I seriously don't know what they're doing......BUT other lines are going to jump on this oportunity to look better......

CCL builds new ships that are bigger models of the same old, same old.
RCI builds new ships with new stuff (not that it appeals to everyone, but it's a change from the same old thing)

CCL screws with their solo cruisers
NCL builds a ship that has cabins specifically FOR solo cruisers.

...I could go on....

CCL is not headed in a good direction the way I am seeing it. :(

[quote name='Cuizer2']Are you sure about this. From what I hear Carnival gave the TA plenty of notice and the TA was hoping to get Carnival to change its decision, so the TA kept the information from the passengers who were booking.

Nonetheless, if you really believe Carnival is breaching its contract, then get a lawyer and file a breach of contract lawsuit.[/quote]

I all ready repied to this statement before you brought it up now. I am a TA, I did not get notice of this policy change until the beginning of September and I set up a new group cruise in mid August with the same $25 deposit that they say will now not hold a confirmation.

So, no, Carnival did not notify all TA early if they notified any. Don't assume what you don't know.

I am not looking for a lawsuit...just saying that they are changing the terms of a contract and that is what the jist of this thread is about... it's not here for posters to bash other posters for their reasons for using the $25 deposit offered to them.

[quote name='lnew1gd1'] I am a TA, I did not get notice of this policy change until the beginning of September...

So, no, Carnival did not notify all TA early if they notified any. Don't assume what you don't know.

[/quote]

Ditto for me. I only received the notice a couple weeks ago.

We're lucky though, my group's full deposit was originally due Nov 10, so it only got pushed up by a few weeks....not months or a year sooner.

[quote name='Cuizer2']Are you sure about this. From what I hear Carnival gave the TA plenty of notice and the TA was hoping to get Carnival to change its decision, so the TA kept the information from the passengers who were booking.

Nonetheless, if you really believe Carnival is breaching its contract, then get a lawyer and file a breach of contract lawsuit.[/quote]

The plenty of notice you are talking about was about a week, then the person running this site asked her to wait until Monday instead of dropping a bomb like this during a weekend when they would be closed. So Carnival did not give them plenty of time.

Archived