veal on Princess cruises

crazydizzymoo

Does anyone know where the veal is sourced from on the Princess cruises? I'd love to try veal but I'm not sure...

I don't want to cause an argument, if people do/ don't eat veal it's their choice I'd just like to have the knowledge to make a choice.

We cruised this past July on board Princess. The veal was a little tough. As to whre they get it from, I am not sure. I was loaded onto the ship in the US. The lamb on the other hand was out of this world.

Does anyone know where the veal is sourced from on the Princess cruises? I'd love to try veal but I'm not sure...

I don't want to cause an argument, if people do/ don't eat veal it's their choice I'd just like to have the knowledge to make a choice.

It's doubtful if anyone could really find out where it it was raised but what they offer is tasty and most people don't bother to inquire. Possibly the Maitre D' might be able to give you an answer?

It's not about the flavour, it's how the animals are raised. For me there is such a stigma attached to veal, which no other meat has.

I do know in some countries the treatment is improving. In the UK definitly the conditions are much improved but the quantity produced is quite small so I wouldn't expect a big company like Princess to buy such premium products at a greater cost. (oops - getting synical and opininated, wanted to avoid that!)

Have tried the veal a few times and it is pretty bad, tough and not tasty. Princess buys their food in bulk, so I highly doubt it's a premium product. If you have these concerns over where it's sourced, it's probably not worth trying it.

Rack of veal - never heard of that; are you sure you don't mean rack of lamb?

Probably not, rack of veal is definitely a cut of meat and if prepared properly is extremely good. Cook it wrong and you might as well be eating silly putty... As for the veal, my policy is if I didn't buy it from a reputable butcher with a known source to prepare at home I don't eat it, it's just an ethical issue for me.

Not sure where it is sourced from, but when we were at the Chef's Table and were talking about how Princess gets most of their food, it all has to pass USDA and other US food regulations. This is basically done for food safety. In some cases, the food that is loaded on a ship in a given port was shipped from the US where it was inspected and passed the regs. I would recommend asking the Chef. The best Veal Chop I have had was in Sabatinis, so the head person there might know as well.

I am sure its not sourced from Princess but a reputable supplier.

No, rack of veal was on the Ruby menu last spring. It is served as a chop the same as rack of lamb is served as chops.

I stand corrected - have eaten a lot of veal in my life but never heard of a rack (lamb yes; veal no). Thanks for teaching an old dog!

Produce on Princess ships is either obtained locally or shipped from the US via freighter. For cruises out of US ports, meat is obtained in the US. If the cruise embarks in Europe, for instance, it's a combination of local and shipped produce. I've been on South American cruises, for instance, and salmon was loaded in Valparaiso. You'd have to be a detective to find out where a particular meat came from and even then, it could vary by itinerary.

We love veal and tend to eat it more in Italian restaurants then at home because my wife says chicken is a lot cheaper :) But seriously, the veal we have had on Princess cruises (and we are Elite) has been underwhelmeing in quality and generally too tough for my taste. The best veal we get on cruise ships seems to be on Holland America as well as the more expensive luxury lines like Crystal and Azamara. Good veal is quite expensive and cruise lines do have food budgets. As to the source of their veal we would assume it varies depending on the port where they are supplied and the current market.

And by the way, we have eaten Rack of Veal on quite a few ocassions and its wonderful if its made with very high quality milk-fed veal. You will not find this dish on any mass-market cruise ship because of the cost.

Hank

I believe it comes from a calf?

I believe it comes from a calf?

Of course it comes from a calf. What OP is worried about is if the calves are treated humanely. Lots of veal calves are kept in awful conditions with no daylight and are fed entirely on milk to keep the meat very pale pink. I personally would never eat veal - there is no need as there are plenty of meat products to eat from animals which are kept in natural, humane conditions, for example, lamb.

We love veal and tend to eat it more in Italian restaurants then at home because my wife says chicken is a lot cheaper :) But seriously, the veal we have had on Princess cruises (and we are Elite) has been underwhelmeing in quality and generally too tough for my taste. The best veal we get on cruise ships seems to be on Holland America as well as the more expensive luxury lines like Crystal and Azamara. Good veal is quite expensive and cruise lines do have food budgets. As to the source of their veal we would assume it varies depending on the port where they are supplied and the current market.

And by the way, we have eaten Rack of Veal on quite a few ocassions and its wonderful if its made with very high quality milk-fed veal. You will not find this dish on any mass-market cruise ship because of the cost.

Hank

Do you consider Princess mass market? We did have it on the Ruby recently. Veal chops have been on their regular menu for several years now.

Do you consider Princess mass market? We did have it on the Ruby recently. Veal chops have been on their regular menu for several years now.

Sure we consider Princess a mass-market line...and this term is an industry term and not our invention. As to Princess (will be on Grand in a few weeks) we have also enjoyed their veal chops, but this is not the kind of quality one finds with Rack of Veal in a good restaurant. Veal, just like other meats, comes in all shades of quality and there is a huge difference between the best and something less. Its not any different then getting a great steak in a top steakhouse as opposed to some kind of mystery meat often called steak on certain cruise ships :)

Hank

Archived