I'm confused... aft balcony vs hump balcony?

russianmom

Just noticed that the lifeboats are missing from the photos showing the hump cabins with numbers?! Does anyone have information about how obstructed cabins 6210 and 6240 are? I've checked the sticky thread but the information about obstruction was vague. Thanks.

You will love the Eclipse. It's my favorite ship. I thought about one of those aft cabins, but there aren't any rear elevators so it's a long walk as others have mentioned.

Here's the list for the cabins that are larger.

Resort Deck (C2): 2105, 2109, 2106, 2110 (Also good, but not as large: 2107, 2108, 2111, 2112)

Penthouse Deck (Aqua): 1547, 1552, 1601, 1605, 1606, 1610 (Also good, not as large: 1599, 1603, 1604, 1608)

Sky Deck (C2): 1075, 1044, 1231, 1243, 1247, 1108, 1120, 1124

Panorama Deck (1A): 9155, 9192, 9209, 9215, 9237, 9266, 9270, 9292

Panorama Deck (C2): 9241, 9296

Vista Deck (1A): 8197, 8160, 8257, 8253, 8230, 8226, 8279, 8283, 8252, 8256

Sunrise Deck (1A): 7159, 7206, 7215, 7219, 7241, 7245, 7260, 7264, 7286, 7290

Continental Deck (2C): 6155, 6156

Continental Deck (1A): 6209, 6215, 6237, 6241, 6210, 6214, 6236, 6240

Here's a picture of the aft balconies on S class ships:

aftbalcony.jpg

Side view:

SolHump-vi.jpg

I had 1606, Aqua class, which is one of the largest cabins on the hump. Here's a picture:

067.jpg

049.jpg

Thanks for your pictures. I had #8344 on Solstice and it's one of the larger verandas. This year I booked #8353 on Eclipse and was assured it was the same as 8344....not so if Eclipse is the same layout as Solstice. When I saw 8344 open this AM, I jumped on it and switched. A few feet does make a difference.

Edited by oceangoer2

Judith, I can only guess based on the picture. It looks like 1108 is directly in line with the other cabins so I would say that it follows the rule of thumb and is larger than 1106.

Depending on the itinerary where wind could either be a good thing or a bad thing, keep in mind the additional wind sheltering on the back side of the hump.

We have been in 2105 (back side, port) twice and booked in the same cabin two more times next year (can't give a better reference than that :D) because we have found it gets enough to be comfortable but not enough to be a bother. We also had an aft cabin on the Sostice and won't do that again. We would change dates for an aft on M-class but prefer the hump on S-Class.

I would think your cabin on the Eclipse TA is a very good one.

ORV, the S-class, starting with the Silhouette, added one cabin on each side behind the last hump so the aft cabin numbers are different. I think the hump cabins remain the same. The cabins are essentially the same (of course there are exceptions throughout the ship, but nothing related to bigger balcony = bigger cabin). The 2 aft cabins you mention have wider balconies but not wider cabins (I think there are some cabin attendant closets that take the space). In answering your other question about top 5, I would say

Back side of the hump: 2105/2106, 1243/1120, 2107/2108, or 1247/1124

Front side: 1247/1108. That's 5 on each side.

That is my opinion and is based on the larger balconies, but any of the hump cabins would be good ones. It isn't often my preferred category costs less than a comparable cabin in another location.

Do you know if #8344 on Eclipse is still one of the larger verandas as on the Solstice? I just changed from 8353 to 8344 expecting that to be the case.

• 3 months later...
Can someone help me make a decision?

Which cabin would you select and why.

Thanks.

We are sailing on the Eclipse on January 28 and had selected 9241 as it is supposed to have a larger balcony due to its position on the hump. With three of us in the cabin we wanted something that had room for all three of us to sit out there. Am hoping to get some good photos of the room and balcony to post.

We just did 11 nights in cabin #1110.

You can land a plane on the balcony.

No one can see in, maybe if they hang well over the rail.

Cabins above you there is little or no noise.

John

Check out this thread for a detailed discussion on Solstice cabins. Post # 1451 has links to a file that has reviews. You can search the thread for particular cabin numbers or check the files in the post I listed. With a little bit of research, you can figure out what cabins on Solstice equate to cabins on Eclipse (I don't think there is much difference).

cruise47 - I have no first-hand information on 8343 and 8334 but the deck plan implies they have slightly larger balconies.

phyllisrf - On the humps (angles) starting from the flat part and going to the end, the first and third cabins have huge balconies and the 2nd and 4th ones have larger than normal balconies. Using that rule of thumb, I would expect 1108 to have a larger balcony than 1106.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=911018&page=999

We did a TA in 9241 and were quite comfortable. Huge balcony, bed by bath. It's a C2.

I believe 9237 is the same but is a 1A. Difference in cost. Same cabin and basically same location.

Do you have any pictures of the cabin and balcony by any chance, would love to see them. I am the lucky on who will be sleeping on the sofa by the balcony. I will love being able to go out there early in the morning without waking the others up.

• 5 years later...
Did you book 8343 or 8334? How did you like it? Just booked it for Miami to Dublin on Eclipse 4/18. Do you have any pictures?

Many Thanks and Happy Cruising!

This thread is over 5 years old. Don't know if those posters will respond.

We have had an aft balcony on two cruises. For Alaska it worked very well, since we were shielded from the cold winds and could view the glaciers very well from our balcony.

However, on our Singapore to Dubai cruise our aft was unusable due to the heat. Temps were in high 90s and the aft had no cover.

Morale of that story is that if you are on a cruise where temps are high, don't do an aft.

We had a hump balcony on Solstice once and it was great, twice the size of a regular balcony.

4774Pappa,

Thanks for the reply. Guess the heat issue depends on your predominant direction of travel. On the most recent trip, I chose a starboard balcony on the south/west bound Transpacific and a port balcony with a wide overhang above on the Transatlantic crossings. The choices worked well for us.

Happy Cruising

4774Pappa,

Thanks for the reply. Guess the heat issue depends on your predominant direction of travel. On the most recent trip, I chose a starboard balcony on the south/west bound Transpacific and a port balcony with a wide overhang above on the Transatlantic crossings. The choices worked well for us.

Happy Cruising

Most regular (non-aft balconies) have some cover from the sun. This is essential when temps are very high. Also, you get a breeze, which can cool you, while an aft balcony doesn't get a breeze.

Not all ship designs are the same and I know some balconies that we have had on transatlantic did pickup some direct sun, especially at some time of the day. As you mentioned having a port balcony when traveling from Europe to the USA gives you some sun, depending on the overhang.

Celebrity class M ships have a large overhang, which will particularly affect the higher deck cabins (deck 9).

Just be aware of where your cruise goes and what the temps will be. We have a transpacific in 2018 on the Explorer of the Seas (RC) and have a starboard cabin, which will give us some sun. Of course, since our cruise starts in Australia and goes all the way to Seattle, we go through different climates.

Can someone help me make a decision?

Which cabin would you select and why.

Thanks.

1106 and 1108 are Concierge Class cabins. 1106 has the bed closest to the balcony while 1108 has the bed closest to the bathroom. These cabins are on the starboard side.

9241 and 9243 should cost less (maybe) without the perks of Concierge Class. 9241 has the bed closest to the bathroom while 9243 has the bed closest to the balcony. These cabins are on the port side of the ship (left)

All of these cabins are excellent. My personal choice would be 1108, assuming the costs are near equal as concierge is nice but really provides very little. Why, I prefer starboard because of the smoking areas (although it is unlikely it would be a problem so high up) on the port side and I like the bed closest to the bathroom.

Aft cabins are very sought-after, desirable cabins...but only on certain classes of ships. Alas, Eclipse is not one of them. The M-class ships have wonderful aft balconies, but not the Solstice class, of which Eclipse is one.

Jo-Ann

We love aft cabins! I am wondering why you do not feel they are sought after cabins on the Solstice class? Try booking one on a popular transatlantic!

We had one of the coveted S-1 cabins recently and spoke with others in the regular aft cabins. Everyone was happy. Guess you just need to be a committed aft-lover to appreciate them.

As some have already discovered - beware of the photos. Cabin numbers may not coincide with the photos - it depends on which ship you are looking at. Be sure to consult the deck plans for your actual sailing or you may be very disappointed.

We love aft cabins! I am wondering why you do not feel they are sought after cabins on the Solstice class? Try booking one on a popular transatlantic!

We had one of the coveted S-1 cabins recently and spoke with others in the regular aft cabins. Everyone was happy. Guess you just need to be a committed aft-lover to appreciate them.

As some have already discovered - beware of the photos. Cabin numbers may not coincide with the photos - it depends on which ship you are looking at. Be sure to consult the deck plans for your actual sailing or you may be very disappointed.

In the solstice class those aft cabins aren't large covered balconies like those on the M class ships. I do love aft but given a choice between a hump cabin or an aft on S class it's not even a close call.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums