Stores that carry "FIRE" season clothing

Joby

Well Ladies, Halloween and the wedding are over. The camper and all its paraphernalia should be coming home this weekend unless there's a hitch in our plans. It's suppossed to be really cold beginning next week. I will be back in the office on Monday or Tuesday and will attempt to download pictures of our North Carolina trip. I have everything written out, so it's just a matter of reeducating myself about inserting the pictures. I'll be back to post our next trip as soon as I am able.

Pam, I forgot to mention that some people plan their wardrobes from the shoes up. But, it's extra hard when one pair needs to be heels that will only be worn a small portion of the trip and you're trying to take less weight and space, isn't it? Has deconstructing your wardrobe here for us given you any additional insight?

I'd like to be better about buying clothes and shoes that could span several different dressy or non-dressy situations. I want that perfect middle of the road wardrobe where all pieces mix and match; that never wrinkles, washes and dries in a flash, fits my body style to perfection in the hot FIRE colors we all now know and love. Did I leave anything out of this non-obtainable wardrobe?

Oh Debbie...you need to get that camp cleared before next week! I saw the weather forecast...BRRRRRRrrrrrrrrrrrrr. That's a chore and a half. The only thing I have to say with all the work...protect your back!! I hope it all goes smoothly and efficiently. We sure did enjoy your camp site!

Looking forward to seeing your North Carolina pictures! I love the variety of what we all do.

Debbie...you left out that you want to buy that wardrobe for next to nothing...on slashed clearance prices. :cool:

Mom, everyone is talking scarves to help with your animal print jacket. I know that you don't love this. I'm wondering though...we could do some scarf action that wouldn't annoy you. (For those that don't know...Mom hates anything too close to her neck, including necklines, necklaces, and yes, NEVER, scarves.)

We need to point out how Mom could wear a scarf without having it be too close to her neck. So here's some...

1. Tie off the scarf to look like a necklace...better than a normal necklace because more comfortable and possibly more colorful. I think a couple of the scarves that Debbie gave me lend itself to this style. (Remember those long rectangles? I love the purple, orange, yellow one but haven't mastered what to do with it...I'm going to try this:)

https://librarianforlifestyle.files.wordpress.com/2014/11/jsb102714closeup.jpg

You can take a long scarf...drape it around your neck/shoulders and then gather it somehow at whatever point you want to on your torso.

You can tie it in a knot:

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-X7YDdG7sCDg/UR-4qJuhPgI/AAAAAAAAAGI/WfuYXLo3DOQ/s1600/women-scarves-20111011-218%5B1%5D.jpg

Use a scarf ring:

https://images-blogger-opensocial.googleusercontent.com/gadgets/proxy?url=http%3A%2F%2F3.bp.blogspot.com%2F-BWVsGiV8mjs%2FU7Ar_1g7GuI%2FAAAAAAAAZZY%2Fk_UrHtzkusU%2Fs1600%2FPlisse%2Bhow%2Bto%2Bwear%2BHermes%2Bscarf..JPG&container=blogger&gadget=a&rewriteMime=image%2F*

You can use a barrette to gather the scarf:

https://encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSq7ePUQfIJ8uo82YuKOetrT_goQe5-CtmX53buvnB8M1K1xxCm1g

While you can drape a scarf so that it hangs low in the front...I think the bulk is something that is also bothersome to Mom...so use jewelry like accents to tame the bulk of a scarf. It could take some doing to find just the right gold accents...but I think that any place that sells jewelry making supplies could help us design an awesome set of scarf jewelry. Google:

scarf jewelry necklace

And click on the images tab. There are almost too many to choose from. And some of them are more of a statement than I think Mom would really need with the animal print jacket...but if there was a nice more simple pendant, like this one:

https://encrypted-tbn3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRVn14p2nsdzGfkvYBuIXllJFkaN4x8pHHipAM6o4q6Qg1vXtki

A pendant like this, on a ring, could also serve to gather a scarf together...like the rings above...except you would thread the scarf through the ring in opposite directions, like this:

http://thumbs3.ebaystatic.com/d/l225/m/meqWZHDqbitr46e031m6AXw.jpg

My last idea for now is to wear an infinity scarf long. These may not be the MATERIAL that I would suggest...only the length. This one is super long, looped twice:

http://s7ondemand5.scene7.com/is/image/EileenFisher/CTV-A0582-BLACK?$LARGEPRODUCTDETAILSRD$

It stands to reason that would also exist a medium length infinity scarf that would only loop once. Here's one that is actually referred to more as a "cowl neck" than an infinity scarf:

https://encrypted-tbn3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQb1q8PBI9l5AqIhAg6J94LsVyFJiVoA1n5t1DxeyeOK7CWza5kqg

With the animal print jacket...I think you go for a solid color for pop. The big question would be what color to do for the scarf? My thoughts are that if you plan on a good pop of color in your shirt...that we find a rich, lovely, FIRE brown for the scarf. One that would go with WHATEVER color shirt you wore. Get a great tiger eye, smoky topaz, or other similar family stone in a pendant on a gold accent.

I think this idea highlights the fun jacket, but makes it work a bit better.

I think you could also get scarves in colors to use for specific outfits that you might wear at home or on shorter vacations. The brown scarf idea is really just to have a basic that you might manipulate into different looks for one of your long traveling vacations.

Anita, I love your scarf ideas. I love to wear them, but they often do not have the softer, lower drape I like. I too do things such as twist them or knot them. It's a great way to wear a scarf!

I recall you posting a picture of the earth thread about taking an infinity scarf and wrapping it three times. I never thought to wrap a scarf that many times, but it looked so good! I think it is time for me to start trying different things with mine.

Oh, Anita! Oh, Pam! I had forgotten about your aversion to things on your neck. Sometimes it bothers me too. If the scarf is too bulky or too large, or just too aggravating for whatever reason. I do think it might still work. Especially with some of Anita's excellent ideas. Thinner scarves (think slinky, maybe?) tied like a long necklace is a good idea. Long rectangle scarves simply draped just inside the jacket and hanging loose down both sides is an easy and not terribly aggravating way to wear a scarf. Sometimes I tie a knot on each side of the scarf. It seems to anchor the scarf with a little extra weight so that it doesn't slide too far to one side. Try one of my castoffs when you next visit Anita and see what you think. It may still be something you can't do, but atleast that way you won't have invested any money in the project.

I think the next best thing is a bright colored top worn with that jacket.

Ya'll won't believe the time and effort that I have invested in getting my North Carolina pictures ready for viewing. It is the LOOOOOOngest story. Needless to say, it is getting on my very last nerve. But, I'm not giving up. I will accomplish this. I have too much time invested at this point to give up. Yep, I'm stubborn like that. I will show and tell about my trip. It won't be today. It may not be tomorrow. But. I. Will. Get-R-Done!

OK. Will be patiently waiting just a little bit longer.

Debbie... this thing with my neck just came over me when I had the goiter surgery. Before that, I was able to wear turtlenecks, etc. and never had an issue with the choking feeling that I get when I have something up around my neck now. I don't know if it's psychological or related to the scar tissue somehow? I just can't stop myself from pulling at my neckline and trying to get material away from my throat; when I had that surgery the worst part about it was the feeling that my head was going to fall off of my neck. It was the weirdest feeling and so unsettling. Maybe if I put my mind to it, I could make myself stop, but I know it would be a real mind battle... right now, even my hair can "bug" me if it gets too long and starts wrapping around my neck. Oh, good grief... I'm making myself weirded OUT just by thinking about it! Anyway, that's my story.

I did manage to wear a long scarf that Anita had on a cold, cold day in Georgia during a winter visit with her. But, I have to say... the scarf nestled around the back of my neck (and felt really good there if I'm honest) but wasn't around the front of my neck in any way. So...... there's Hope!

I'm so glad that you story is a Looooooong One! I'm ready! Wine all poured... patiently waiting. I know how time consuming writing up these trip stories can be! But, it's fun reliving them, right? And sharing with friends, right?

See you soon. Stay WARM. Everyone... stay warm. Anita filled me in on all the weather woes as I was sitting here looking at my sunny, blue skies. Just sending out the word that I'm thinking of each and every one of you and hoping that all the travelers have smooth trips and everyone stays safe and sound, wherever you are.

Pam, I don't want you all weirded out. I do understand the head falling off your neck though. After my second neck surgery, the doctor explained my situation as a bowling bowl sitting on a pencil. He understood!!! That was exactly how it felt. If you can't have anything around your neck, well, then you just can't. Glad there's hope to just drape a scarf though. I wear a scarf that way A LOT!

I didn't explain myself earlier. What's so long is how long it is taking me to download and get my pictures ready. Well, the story is pretty long too though. I'm ready to send my first installment to see if the picture works. I am so bad at this and.....well, we will just see if I have anything everyone can see or not. If not, it's back to the drawing board. I know I'm making this three times too hard on myself, but there doesn't seem to be any other way around my tech limitations here.

This should be a real “hoot”, Ladies. You’ve experienced my husband’s lack of photography skills over the years, so I’m sure you already understand the caliber of pictures to expect during our trip to North Carolina. After looking at the pictures I took, it seems I’m not much better, but I could never do it justice anyway. It is so beautiful. So, I’ve decided to incorporate both 2014 spring and fall pictures of North Carolina and let you laugh along with me. Hopefully, it will make a little more sense when I explain as we go along.

BF (Donna, for those who met her), BFH, DH and I have visited Gatlinburg several times over the years. The guys love the mountains; the girls love waterfalls and creeks with running water. The Smoky Mountain area is the closest and easiest drive for us so that we can get all get our “fix.” That’s really what our guys call it. We think their ancestors must have come from that region or something. It’s kinda freaky. So, for the last few years, we’ve talked about staying on the NC side of the Smoky Mountains. We have been there and done that sooo many times on the Gatlinburg side and recently realized we spend enormous amounts of time in the vehicle traveling across the mountain to NC’s quieter side. Why not spend a little extra travel time to get to our destination, avoid the traffic nightmares and just stay in NC? I didn’t say we were quick studies. We recently realized, remember? Since I am usually the trip concierge, I got busy finding centrally located accommodations for the area we like to visit. My buddies trust me and I enjoy the planning. Our guys like the idea of log cabins, but none of us like the idea of being in a log cabin on a mountain with multiple cookie-cutter log cabins someone decided to build and rent out or the huge complexes designed for the masses. BF and I want clean with running water and electricity. Our DHs must have their cable TV options. Over the years, we’ve only stayed one night in a really crummy place and our accommodations were changed pronto. DH is a very persuasive person. All those years in the service industry still comes in handy on occasion.

BF and I consent to eat our first meal on the road at our guys’ favorite, Cracker Barrel, but after that, we use handy-dandy phone apps to locate local eateries while we vacation. Since I did a lot of the driving during this trip, BF picked out ALL of our meal stops. Boy Howdy! Did she do a fantastic job! We had one meal that wasn’t as good as the others, and it wasn’t bad. With the only wait line to get a table and just ok food, it didn’t measure up because our other meals were so great. Not Pam’s Paris great, but we thought we ate well on this trip.

Some of the prettiest leaves seen on this trip occurred while driving I-40. As the elevation changed, green gave way to gorgeous yellows, oranges and reds. It was such a pretty drive. Before reaching the TN/NC state line, we stopped to stretch our legs and eat a meal at Carver’s Orchard and Restaurant—a working apple orchard. Over the years, we’ve visited several times and have decided that we like their breakfast best because of the homemade apple julep (juice/cider), apple fritters and apple butter. There is a huge difference in homemade apple butter and what Cracker Barrel serves. You’d think I’d have a picture of this place, but I don’t. However, in the big red barn there is a huge apple sign and all kinds of produce. Who knew there were so many varieties of apples? Jugs of cider and every kind and description of jams, jellies and relishes sit on shelves below the sign.

photo58_zpsf9be19f2.jpg

We needed snacks for our time at the cabin and bought a few of the candy shop’s homemade chocolates, but made no purchases among the varieties of apples, indian corn and pumpkins available. (This will become important later.) We load back in the vehicle and off we go for the last 40 miles of interstate driving.

We’ve arrived. It’s a working Christmas Tree Farm.

photo69_zps834c9004.jpg

Ah, there’s the cabin office. Look! They decorate for fall too!

photo17_zps46cb8a29.jpg

And they’ve added on to the back of the cabin. Lynn is excited that she now has a two-room office.

photo18_zpsde358258.jpg

Nearby is the game pit. Have you ever played corn hole? It’s a lawn game in which players take turns throwing bags of corn at a raised platform with a hole in the far end. It was obviously named by a city feller that never grew up with outdoor toilets. The name makes our guys smile and shake their heads every time it’s mentioned out loud. I think it reminds them of the reference to corncobs and outhouses and…well, never mind.

photo16_zps9088e501.jpg

The following is a picture of the badminton net on the property. There are also a few basketball goals. We’ve never been to that part of the property, but there is an advertised swimming hole at the creek complete with a rope swing. Enough outside old-fashioned games to keep several people entertained.

photo37_zps5550fa37.jpg

If I remember the story correctly, the local dentist bought his grandparents’ farm where he spent his childhood summers. He began purchasing old log cabins in the surrounding area. He numbered the logs, disassembled them and moved them to his property. Because it’s hard to put modern conveniences in solid wood, plans included adding at least one bedroom and bath with washer and dryer. The two cabins that we’ve staying in also have a raised roof so bedroom(s) and bath have been added upstairs. The history of the cabin has been recounted, framed and displayed on the wall. I’m including pictures of both spring and fall 2014 because each time of the year is so different yet equally beautiful.

The Smithsonian tried to buy the following log cabin in the 1960’s but the owners were still using it—as a tobacco barn. The smell of tobacco still lingers when you first walk in the door. It isn’t an unpleasant smell. It’s similar to the cherry blend tobacco that my father used to smoke in his pipe. The familiar smell also reminds me of good memories on my grandparents’ farm where tobacco was grown. And chewed. Our 3-bedroom, 3 bath cabin accommodations—

photo15_zps36994486.jpg

Our Spring 2014 2 bedroom, 2 bath cabin accommodations—

photo38_zps73307270.jpg

There are chairs or benches in several places that allow you to stop and linger. Because the landscaping outside the cabins was so breathtaking, I’m including both spring and fall pictures. Which time of the year would you like to visit?

Spring—

photo32_zpsd1246675.jpg

photo33_zpsb63711ab.jpg

photo34_zps729e1014.jpg

photo41_zps1e54ca30.jpg

Since there are only seven cabins and we know where our cabin is located, it isn’t hard to find our accommodations and begin unloading our bags. We lay claim to the bedrooms we want, look around the cabin, start a pot of coffee, and then head out to find a seat in the rocking chairs on the front porch. Wait! The moon is just beginning to rise over the mountain!

photo2_zps6c1d9845.jpg

I can’t remember seeing the moon rise over the mountains in all the years we’ve visited. Too much hurry-hurry when the kids were younger. The opportunity just never presented itself, I guess. The picture quality isn’t great, but there isn’t any way possible to capture the feel of looking at the mountains and taking that first relaxing breath of fresh air. Wow! I did love seeing that full moon rise between the clouds. I got several pictures, but the picture quality got poorer as the moon rose and the sun set. My pictures never seem to turn out like I remember the actual event. It’s more or less just a reminder to take me back to the memory.

It is getting cold, cold, cold and it’s been a long day. Let’s go inside. Bedtime.

photo29_zps93bda2c2.jpg

photo28_zps1b0dd827.jpg

Day 2, Waynesville

Here’s the porch where we sat and watched the moon rise last night—

photo21_zps15ebc8d0.jpg

photo22_zpsb16bc48c.jpg

We are ready to explore. Let’s go!—

photo24_zps6a038b01.jpg

BF had wanted to eat breakfast at a local pancake restaurant that boasted great reviews during our spring visit but we ran out of mornings before we had the opportunity. We made sure our first morning breakfast would be this new place. We were given a buzzer/beeper thingy when we checked in with the hostess. We sat as instructed, walked and were seated when we were told and ate our breakfast. There wasn’t one single thing wrong with our meals or our service. Bless their hearts. It was nice. We decided before we left the building that we wouldn’t need to come back. How does that happen? Does that ever happen to ya’ll?

Waynesville is a county seat town with an adorable downtown area, complete with a courthouse square and two long city blocks of specialty shops and quaint little eateries. I really need to take more pictures of places I visit. It’s not like I’m saving film or anything! I have no pictures of the town itself other than these pickin-N-grinin guys stationed on a side street. They are made of old machinery parts (combine, tractor, etc.) and represent the music of the area. To me, they also represent part of the unique ambience of this town. I love quirky things like this.

photo59_zps9f8ce7cc.jpg

During each year’s visit, BF and I usually shop in a few stores until the guys call saying they are ready to hit the road. The next time we visit, we just take up where we left off unless there is a store we want to revisit. I don’t think we’ve ever made it all the way from one end of the shopping area to the other yet! We’ve bought birdfeeders and seed, wool socks, and gifts for the grandkids over the years. This year we found a nice resale shop. I came home with two cashmere sweaters, one pair of NYDJeans, a pair of Cole Haan boots, and a Juliana collector piece of costume jewelry to wear with my purple dress for DS’s wedding. Pictures will follow after the wedding, of course.

We left Waynesville and drove to pretty and peaceful Lake Junaluska. We walked a bit and took a few pictures.

photo27_zps07efedd8.jpg

We eat at least one meal at Bogarts while in Waynesville, so lunch was a sandwich at Bogarts Restaurant, and because this is one of our favorites, we ate here again later in the week. We’ve had ribeye sandwiches, ABC (apple, bacon and cheddar) sandwiches, Bogart’s Reuben (sour cream instead of 1000 Island, messy but yummy) and burgers. BF and I shared the Prolific Sweet Potato which they admitted is a stolen recipe from Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives. When DH learned this, we knew he’d need to try this on our next visit.

After lunch, our guys wanted to re-visit the Chattahoochee Elk Preserve. Since we have several pictures to prove that we’ve been there before, BF and I decided that this afternoon would be a lovely time to sit around the log cabin, read and rest a bit. A good afternoon was had by all. Here are pictures we’ve collected over the years of this area. BF and I especially like running water and rocks: waterfalls, creeks. Notice the picture where the top corner is cut off where I leaned out of the vehicle. That’s not a zoomed shot. The elk have their run of the preserved area. The youngish bull was really that close to the vehicle. They are magnificent animals, especially spectacular when the bulls raise their heads and bugle. Eerie sound, but spectacular.

photo60_zpsce50ce03.jpg

photo61_zpsf86ef66a.jpg

photo62_zps970063d2.jpg

My husband dressed in his favorite: jeans and a flannel shirt with a ballcap in the fall. He's in heaven!

photo63_zpsf37702e4.jpg

This may be my favorite picture that I have EVER taken. EVER.

photo64_zpsfdf6d86e.jpg

BF located a micro-brewery where we ate our meal that night and played trivia. Let’s just say that the current pop culture questions they were asking when we arrived were not our forte. Luckily they asked a few history questions so we could join in the fun. You know—things that happened in the 70s and 80s. The meal was good and the atmosphere was festive. We enjoyed the evening.

Day 3

During our spring visit, we ate breakfast at a local Mom and Pop place that served fresh sausage, homemade biscuits and REAL homemade gravy. There is definitely a difference and I don’t eat gravy that begins out of those tear-open pouches. Yuck! I’ll just save my carb allotment for something I like, thank you very much. Of course, we wanted to try it again and see if it was as good as we remembered. It was. We also caught up on the news about the waitress that was diagnosed with breast cancer and began her chemo therapy in the spring. She’s still working 3-4 days a week but wasn’t there that morning. I hope we hear more good news when we visit again next spring. Yes, we have a habit of being particularly friendly AND BF is a breast cancer survivor, so it hits home for us and we keep folks like that close in our thoughts.

We left Underwoods and drove to Sylva where there is a bookstore/coffee shop that we like to visit. BF, BFH and I spent our time there looking at books. DH usually goes downstairs and gets a cup of coffee. With our purchases made, we load back up and hit the road.

Here’s where the trip gets…well, interesting. The decision was made that we needed to go across the mountain to buy apples at Carvers. Remember that I said we decided to stay in NC so we wouldn’t be travelling over the mountain every day? Guess what we are going to do? Yep. Go over the mountain because apple purchases weren’t made YESTERDAY when we stopped. Frustrating? You betcha! Every time I read about Pam’s frustration with Mr. Google, I thought of this wasted day of our trip. When it takes most of the first and last days to get to where you are going during a five-day trip, it is extremely frustrating for this car-sick prone individual to travel over and back and around on the two-lane road circle repeatedly. The odometer read over 1,500 miles by the time we got home from this trip. Mr. Google says it is approximately 450 miles from our area to Waynesville. I’ll allow ya’ll to do the math. Waaaay too much riding in the car. Period.

We snacked around during the day and said we were revisiting Bogarts this night so we could enjoy live bluegrass music entertainment, but this trip was really all about the Prolific Sweet Potato for my husband. Sweet potatoes, stuffed with pulled pork, bbq sauce, bacon, jack and cheddar cheese, chipotle sauce and fresh chives. The menu states that it does not include a side choice. Here’s why! We are almost positive the dish is two sweet potatoes cut and reassembled to look like one big tater. It’s huge!

photo25_zps0364b1ba.jpg

Day 4

Okay, this will seem even stranger than yesterday. We are about to go back over the mountain into Gatlinburg. Here’s the reason why. Depending upon the length of the trip, each person picks at least one thing to do and/or one place to eat so that everyone feels they got to do what they wanted to do during their trip. Revisiting The Original Log Cabin Pancake House situated near our previous years’ Gatlinburg accommodations is a tradition. Everyone picks this as a thing they want to do. It’s always a highlight of each trip. Many years ago, our waitress happened to be the owners’ granddaughter. We learned that the homemade blueberry syrup I ALWAYS get is her husband’s recipe. Three or four years ago, she and her husband opened the adjacent candy shop and it has become our tradition to stop in and catch up with her family and buy candy for our family souvenirs to take home. Carousel apples are Amber’s favorite and we’ve only been able to find them at Carver’s Orchard. She is the reason that we made the trek back to the apple orchard that day to purchase apples. We needed them because we knew we planned to eat breakfast there this morning.

We ate breakfast, shopped and visited. We drove on to Sevierville to shop. The guys dropped us off at a huge scrapbooking store and headed off to look around at a favorite store or two they want to check on.

However, this day did provide a restaurant repeat from last year and a photo op that was very enjoyable, so all was not lost. We ate last year or maybe this past spring at Holsteins, another one of BF’s phone app recommendations. The food was good; we’ve shared from eight different good meals here, but the reviews suggested a must-try dessert—their Warm Orange Cake. It was DELICIOUS. We repeated this restaurant this year just so we could order this dessert again. If you are interested in the recipe, try an internet search for Mandarin Orange Cake. It is served warm with a glaze. Oh, wow!

Bushs Best Beans has a Visitor’s Center, Museum and Gift Shop located along our route back to the interstate. Here’s our photo op. Remember what I said at the beginning about my lack of picture-taking technique? Well, I wanted to include part of the working operation in the photo and didn’t realize until much later that I should have looked closer at my position. Oh, well, it adds another dimension to the silliness of that afternoon. Are you familiar with Jay and Duke? Only our guys would enjoy stopping here for a vacation excursion….

photo5_zps9c186aae.jpg

We took the opportunity to pose among the pretty landscaping—

photo7_zps42d0ce49.jpg

Suppertime came around and BF located a micro-brewery pizzeria that was hopping on Friday night. I forgot! We did have to wait for another meal on this trip—this one. It was worth the wait. DH said he thought this was The. Best. Pizza. He. Had. EVER. Eaten. EVER. Yes, that’s the way he said it—with two EVERs. It was good…. Well, you get the idea. There were no leftovers. There were also no pictures.

Day 5, Heading for Home:

It’s time to pose for one last picture around the firepit and head for home.

photo9_zps69451ca0.jpg

Here’s a picture across the lake at the owner’s home. Spring and fall are equally pretty.

photo19_zpsff6eee53.jpg

photo65_zpsa050453c.jpg

We ate breakfast at the local truck stop. A biscuits and homemade gravy place where you could sit and watch your breakfast cooking on the long griddle behind the cash register and counter. Everyone seemed local but us. It was just our kind of place. We saw a young boy, probably about 8-9 years old helping bus tables. You could tell that he was part of the family business, family cooking and waiting tables. We saw an older gentleman walk to him and give him a dollar or two telling him that he was doing a fine job. The boy turned to put the money in the tip jar near the cash register. The man stopped him and told him he’d left his waitress’s tip on the table and that the money he’d given to the youngster was for him to keep. The boy beamed from ear to ear. It was a perfect end to our time with the good people of Waynesville.

I drove back through the different elevations of North Carolina and Tennessee on I-40 saying over and over, “Oh my, look at those leaves. Aren’t they pretty?” Because I was driving, I didn’t get a single picture. Maybe next time.

Our last stop for food and fuel was at Lebanon, Tennessee to eat at Sunset Family Restaurant, a meat-n-three located directly across the street from Cracker Barrel. Nashville is famous for these restaurants; this one has been here for years and doesn’t need to worry that they have heavy competition nearby. Home cooking beats out chain restaurants every day of the week for our group, even if that restaurant is our guys’ beloved Cracker Barrel. From the looks of the crowd that day, we must be the last ones to get the memo about Sunset. The locals all seemed more than happy to be here. For those that don’t know, broasted chicken is pressure cooked from the inside out and fried chicken is cooked from the outside in. My husband is a connoisseur of chicken, both fried and broasted, and this chicken met with his approval. No one else complained, but evidently, restaurant vegetables are hard to cook. At least no one has ever come close to cooking like my Momma. Sunset’s coconut pie and chocolate pie came really close though. We’d eat here again.

We arrived back home safe and sound and if my trip seemed to be all about the food and people we met while enjoying that activity, well, you’d be mostly right. We do have quite a bit of fun enjoying both of those things. BF said one time that she thought we would be happy to just get in the vehicle and drive all around our own county, getting out of the car occasionally to eat, refuel and go again. We start talking from the moment we get in and don’t stop unless we are sleeping until we get back out of the vehicle again at the end of the trip. She would be exactly right.

Talk, eat, talk, eat, talk, eat, sleep, and repeat. Hey, that sounds just like our Meet-N-Greet at the Lake this summer, doesn’t it?

Corrections: Day 2--Cataloochee Elk Preserve (not Chattahoochee)

Day 4--Holston's Kitchen (not Holstein's)

From these pictures, I've learned: TAKE MORE PICTURES!!! A story can't properly be told with pictures if there aren't enough pictures.

On the fashion front, let's discuss a few things about my pictures.

Day 2 pictures: The brown merino cable sweater jacket has become a staple in my wardrobe. I wear it. A LOT. I have posted what I call my red multi floral top before. I gravitate to 3/4 length sleeves and v-necks. I also like the length of this top. I think it is overall flattering.

Day 4: Is the seagreen sweater that appears very bright to me IRL either not a true FIRE color, OR the gray overcast day overwhelmed my picture even though I thought the background colors were good. Or is the green bush surrounding my head more EARTH than FIRE? What are your thoughts? Doesn't my skintone seem to be a bit gray? Oh, yeah, and I need a necklace, scarf, a little something-something for pizzazz?

Day 5: The scarf in this picture was not deemed a good FIRE color during our scarf extravaganza at the Lake this summer. However, I thought some of the colors were good even though there's lots of white background. I told myself that I could wrap it and drape it in such a way that the white wouldn't be very visible. Obviously my picture proves me wrong. Before I ditch this scarf completely, I will try one more attempt by tying the scarf necklace-style so the white background is minimal. I will report back.

OK, Ladies, what say you? What do you see in my pictures that I missed? I'd like for this to be a learning experience.

Debbie!!

I let all your posts hang out there so that everyone could see that you had posted...and I have resisted the urge to respond...but I will resist no more!

First off...I have to say that the place you went to is gorgeous. I looked it up and it is less than 4 hours from me!! I want to go there. Badly. I regularly research cabins in North Georgia, but I hadn't ventured into the near by states yet...I LOVE the fact that the elk preserve is close by.

So DH and I were married in Loveland, CO. Isn't that sweet? We were married on a Dude Ranch by a river...can you believe? SO gorgeous. We lived in Loveland and this is one of the gateway cities to access Rocky Mountain National Park in Estes Park. OMG. I LOVE the sound of the elk bugle! Haunting is an excellent descriptive word. It's an amazingly clear, cutting, distinctive sound. I do miss that sound. I had forgotten all about the elk preserve so close to here. We have to see that next year. MUST.

I wouldn't be able to decide between the spring and the fall. The transition seasons appeal to me equally. Like sunrise and sunset...each is appealing for differing reasons...it's the transition and the activity that visually abounds that makes it so lovely.

Taking pictures on a vacation is learning how to balance time spent in the present moment with the future time that you want to spend remembering this moment or sharing this moment with other people. If you take too many pictures, then you are too detached from the present moment...if you take too few, then you don't have all that you want to share.

For myself...I'm working on this...I think my guys put up with the picture taking very well...because I've learned to have a session for picture taking and then put the camera away. Pause deliberately...and then move on. If you can get to know your camera, your pauses can be shorter...and then your travel companions will be more and more cooperative with the short breaks in the flow. I think it helps to have your group be on board, so that you don't feel like you miss out while you are "breaking" with the present.

Your favorite picture is seriously card quality. It's more than that...but it looks like it should be a part of a box set of blank cards with lovely photos on the covers of the cards. KWIM? Not that it couldn't be made into wall art as well...OR...have you ever seen the kinds of wall art in a Christian type book store where they put scripture with the photo? I would put Psalm 46:4 with your photo. Such a happy stream!

The brown cable sweater SHOULD be a wardrobe staple for you. So many things about it work on you...the fit is spot on...it skims over your figure...doesn't add any weight...the lapels of the sweater breaks up what can be a problem area for busty ladies (speaking from personal experience). It is just the right brown...

With that outfit, you have framed your face wonderfully. I don't know what you could add to that neck area to add just a little something, something...especially to be in keeping with the style of your outfit...but I feel like you could have a simple necklace? Even if it were just a chain and a simple pendant? Do you have a ring that you've inherited that doesn't fit? I saw something recently about layering a couple simple chains with simple charms and one was a ring...

The shirt by itself is really nice. 3/4 sleeves, check. V-neck, check. Good length, check.

You are not gray in that bright blue sweater on my screen! I think you look fabulous in that photo! I agree that you could have an accessory of some sort. No recommendations at this point. I do recognize how it can feel like "too much" with some accessories when you are on a casual trip in a casual place. This is the story of my everyday life...and I have no answers at this point.

I think we told you over the summer that the scarf was for wrapping around your purse ONLY since you wanted to keep it for the other colors in the scarf...that is the first picture where your hair has a bit of dullness...not trying to be mean...I know the influence of color...and I know that your hair isn't dull...except that it looks that way in that particular picture because of that particular scarf.

Love the red shoes! LOVE them. I had a pair of dull red shoes by Dansko and I loved them. I wore them with everything...I didn't think they would be that versatile...but that were.

Thoroughly enjoyed hearing about your trip...wanting to go there.

Hey...you coming south for Thanksgiving again this year?

Aww, thanks Anita for the kind words. I was afraid I gushed too much about our home base on this trip, but if you’ve checked out their website, then you’ve seen their mother lode of great pictures showing what a really a wonderful place they have.

The elk preserve is an 11 mile journey that takes about 30 minutes on gravel roads, but it is well worth the drive, especially if you love to see the elk up close. I can tell you from firsthand experience that rutting season seems to always occur the first weekend of October into the second weekend of October. Again, firsthand experience! It was one of the reasons BF and I decided to forgo the trip this year. But, you do hear lots of bugling. It’s fun to see the older bulls with those huge antlers run the younger bulls away. Scary fun to see the huge antlers tie up in battle, too. The first time we went to the elk preserve, we went by GPS and were traveling from TN on I-40. Our directions had us exit the interstate assuming the quickest route is the nearest. We had been told to expect a gravel road BUT, it had us go OVER THE MOUNTAIN. I grew up traveling gravel roads. My grandparents lived down a long gravel lane off of a gravel road. I’ve NEVER taken a trip like this one. This was one of those unexpected great adventures that BF and I have experienced over the years. This one happened to include our DHs. At one point, we saw a fellow fly fishing in a stream. We crossed the stream on a one lane bridge and the gorgeous sight vanished behind us. We’ve often talked about going back to see that bridge again, but I don’t think any of us can voluntarily endure the trip again. It was a once-in-a-lifetime experience. Sooo, if you go to see the elk, make sure you enter from I-40, exit 20. The BP gas station will give you directions. Otherwise, expect a great adventure of your own!

We’d like try to catch the laurel in bloom. I kept thinking I was seeing huge older rhododendrons in the forests. After all these years, I was corrected last spring and now I really want to see and smell that mountain laurel in bloom.

I agree about the brown sweater, but it’s nice to have confirmation, ya know? I think I finally have enough good FIRE items that I can make a collage and throw a new piece in the mix and know instinctively if the color is good or not. I still have trouble with prints though. If I can find a good color in the mix, I think it works. Obviously, it doesn’t.

I do love my red shoes! They were purchased on sale (of course) from Lands End and were called red patent leather skimmers. They have rubber-type non-skid tread bottoms and I’m pretty sure they are waterproof. I bought them before our Alaska cruise and had plenty of time to break them in before DH even knew I planned a trip to Alaska. I’ve looked repeatedly since buying these and I don’t think they make them anymore. Well, they have something similar, but I really like the patent leather. No fuss—no muss.

I’ve learned that when it’s time to go shopping, I can walk inside the front door, take a quick glance at the entire store, you know, kind of a sweeping glance from corner to corner, and if nothing jumps out at me, then there’s nothing for me to look at in that store. Well, I might look at the accessories or shoes, but there isn’t much for me to look at clothes-wise. That’s why it was such a huge score to find two sweaters in that little Waynesville resale shop. I was tickled.

Thanksgiving will be spent close to home this year. I’m hostess for 10 – 15 this year since I never know if DH’s wild child and family will make the journey. There’s always plenty of food so it’s never a problem one way or the other who visits. I’ll set my alarm for 6AM like it’s a work day, and believe you me, I will work harder than if I spent the day at the office.

I’m afraid we are going to cancel our Houston cruise. It’s become more of a burden than something to look forward to and that’s not my idea of a vacation. If our plans EVER include traveling in your direction, you can be sure that I’ll sound out loud and clear.

Edited by aoknkentucky
I DON'T KNOW WHAT HAPPENED TO THE FONT! SORRY!

So, ladies, if you're looking for a really good warm red nail polish... one that is really red, not orange/red... or coral/red... but tomato red. I can recommend OPI Coca Cola Red. This is a true red that holds up well when put with any of my coral tops! It's a pretty amazing holiday color. FYI.

What should I do in the Caribbean? Will I miss my blue or purple nail polish colors? Should I give the nod to the holiday season and go with red instead? What to do! What to do?!? LOL.

So, Debbie. I am puzzled by what you're seeing in the outfit for Day 4. On my monitor, your skin is so even toned and, if I would have to give a description, I would say kind of "peachy," but definitely glowing. I think that is a beautiful, beautiful top color for you! This picture is in the running for up there at the top of my list of faves for you.

I'm kind of with Anita on Day 5; that scarf just isn't doing you any favors. It's taking away the depth of color in your hair and, also, your hair's gloss. I so wish that we could see the experiment of you taking a subsequent picture without the scarf, in the same location with the same light conditions. I think it would be amazing to see if that scarf is contributing its nature, in a negative way, to your overall tonality.

Here's a weird observation. I wish I could find a coat that has the elk coloring! I think that is a perfect FIRE color! That elk is a FIRE, for sure. I don't want an elk coat, but I sure want an elk-colored coat! KWIM?!? all golden brown.

I got the coat that Anita found at Nordstroms; the one that was named Cognac. Wow. It is so NOT Cognac. It has a definite purple, deep pink undertone to the brown. It is going back to the mall to find a different home.

Anyway, I just wanted to say how much I thoroughly enjoyed going to North Carolina with you.

Hi, Ladies.

Occasionally, I think that there are certain items that crossover FIRE to EARTH, and I think that these shoes may be one of those.

http://shop.nordstrom.com/s/corso-como-joss-pump/3626718?origin=PredictiveSearch-personalizedsort&contextualcategoryid=2375500&fashionColor=&resultback=775&cm_sp=personalizedsort-_-searchresults-_-1_3_D

They are a really beautiful bronze; if anyone is looking for something a bit dressy for their holiday fashions, I think this is a fabulous choice and they look really good with my Chico's Chocolate Chip Travelers color as well as a new Joseph Ribkoff dress (that is going to be my formal dress for this next cruise).

Just thought I'd share.

Everyone is getting hit so very hard with the cold weather. We aren't experiencing much of that here in our sunny Southwest desert. We are a bit cold (not to our liking), but nothing to compare to what others are enduring so I won't even bother to comment regarding our temperatures. Suffice it to say that I'm a bit worried about Christmas in Georgia, from a wardrobe standpoint! Not really... I know that the fireplace will take good care of me.

Wondering what everyone is doing for Thanksgiving plans? We are going to have a celebration with friends that we've known so long they're practically family (sometimes I think we might have issues like family! kwim?!?). Anyway, we'll have a great day of food and fun and friendship.

I have made up my mind about my nail polish color! I know! What a relief, right? LOL. I've been enjoying the red so much that it's going to be red all the way. Holidays!!!

Just a note to reach out to my FIRE ladies. Where are you hiding Kim and Linda?