Stores that carry "FIRE" season clothing

Joby

Kim, that is a great skirt. You're right about our thread going quiet at times. Thank goodness we have the help of the EARTH ladies to assist with our conversations! In fact, I have to be honest, sometimes I can't remember which thread I'm reading. No pun intended… lots of warmth from all these ladies!

So, I did the KonMari method on my closet… which means that I can't go closet shopping without spending money. Margaret, you know… Anita might not like this confession… but I didn't put my clothes on the floor. I still felt like I did a really good job of separating the things that I love from the things that just didn't spark joy. Maybe I could have done it better if I had just pitched items on the floor… but I didn't. Let me tell you; the easiest thing was to go to the closet and just pull out all the clothes that I felt "annoyed" to have; the ones that I didn't feel special wearing and the ones that just had a little something that was irritating about them. Those were super, super easy to just put into a bag for a clothes donation drop off. From there, it was a matter of just getting a "feeling" for the clothes that remained.

What was interesting is that I could have (say) duplicates of tops; like the exact same top in a purple and an aqua. The purple top really made me smile; the aqua top made me feel "ugh"; there was something about it that just didn't make me feel good at the prospect of wearing it. And, for real, I would wear the purple top over and over and wash it and wear it… before I'd reach for the aqua top to wear. I don't even know what that was all about; it didn't happen to many of the items of clothing. In case you're wondering; yes, the aqua top went to the clothes donation box. I don't miss it! Well, I don't miss anything that isn't hanging in my closet anymore. That's a fact.

So…. I went armchair shopping. I found some clothing from Nordstrom's half-yearly sale that I needed to try on. They weren't available in my local store. So they're being shipped to me, and one is to arrive today. We'll see if I want to hang it lovingly in my closet or throw it on the floor! LOL. I have high hopes that it will work out.

And, not to be outdone… Tommy Bahama saw a little armchair shopping action! So… that shipment is on its way.

As long as you don't mind gathering everything up and going to the local store for returns…. I think armchair shopping is kind of fun. You certainly get to live with the items a lot longer than just those moments in the dressing rooms at the department store.

Anyway…

It's really HOT here. So, sitting in front of the computer is just so much easier than getting into the HOT car, driving to the HOT mall, and trying to find and try on clothes with a <ahem> HOT body….

I found a highly entertaining fashion blog. She created a fun pictodiary of her 8-night Caribbean cruise. Check it out if you have some spare time and want to dream of beautiful beaches and warm water and fabulous outfits.

http://jseverydayfashion.com/search?q=cruise%20diary

I think she inspired my latest armchair shopping spree! AND, I have come to the conclusion that I'm going to take advantage of our next cruise and just have fun and play with my wardrobe. It's going to be hot and humid; we will fly Southwest for ALL of our flights so I don't have to worry about baggage fees; we aren't doing any kind of intensive land-based travel as part of the cruise vacation so I don't have to worry about transporting luggage in short hop flights or trains. Hey! I can work with this! I have 3-1/2 months…. and I'm getting started!

I also used that method to clean my closet . I ended up taking 6 bags to good will . As I was going to good will my SO said "So now you will just buy more " and he was right . I also have been armchair shopping at JJill . I bought two sundresses which are great for south Florida . I also discovered three tropical maxi skirts while cleaning the closet so I bought new tees for them .I did the Panama cruise several years ago . Panama is so hot any clothes you wear that day need to be washed before another use .

Edited by Sailor_Sally

I was so excited about finding my old/new skirts that I went to Chicos & Athleta to make sure I had the right top(s) to go with them. So much for not spending [emoji12]

Hi, ladies.

So.

I received one of the dresses that I ordered from Nordstroms. Wow, is all that I can say. This dress is so beautiful and fits like it was custom made for me.

Except.

The length is so, so long. It definitely is made to accommodate a very high heel. There are three layers to the dress. Hemming it is going to take an excellent seamstress and (I think) quite a bit of work because the layers consist of: a lace overlay that is hemmed with bias tape (at least that is what my Texas Grandma used to call it), followed by the chiffon layer that creates the modesty for the lace overlay, followed by a thicker (more undergarment and structure) layer. I can't even imagine what the hemming of this item will cost me. My plan is to take the dress into Nordstrom and get a bid on the work and that will make my decision about whether to keep the dress. Since I bought the dress on sale, the alterations won't be free.

So that's the background for my question.

Obviously, I only want to hem this dress once since I don't fancy paying for alterations more than once.

Shoe height.

What do I do? I have a formal, closed toe heel that is a somewhat lower height. Surprisingly, the color of the shoe works with the dress.

But, if I get the hem altered to the height of this particular heel… that means that I'm stuck with replacing that heel height (or saving this particular shoe to only wear with this one dress… don't know about that idea)…

Do I just say… OK… the time has come and I need to just forget wearing heels. I don't really have any reason to wear heels at home (well, maybe, on rare occasions I treat myself to a ballet or opera and I "could" wear them then, but (really) that's such a rare event… I certainly won't wear heels to walk to my dinner on our pre- and/or post-cruise land vacations. We typically end up either riding public transportation or walking, and I won't be stumbling along in heels for that. Which leaves the ship. I've worn heels on a ship before; it's not that I "can't" wear a heel; it's that the heels have become more and more uncomfortable as I wear them less and less. So my feet complain. My hips complain. My back complains.

Should I get this dress hemmed to the length that would accommodate a flat shoe?

The dress is floor length.

What do you ladies think? What opinions/advice do you have for me? I have the return window to make up my mind, but I want to take the dress in to the alterations fitting fairly soon so that I know whether it's a keeper or not.

It's a beautiful dress.

Opinion? Oh, I ALWays have at least one of those! LOL

If it were me and I knew the dress required hem alteration, I would be looking at long term. It sounds like you've already made a strong case without my input. If feet, hips and back complain now, how will your body react in, oh, I don't know, maybe, five years time? It sounds like a gorgeous dress. I keep some clothes, dresses especially, for a really long time. If I still love it, it stays. It sounds like that type of dress.

I have had really good luck with kitten heels. Take a look at your favorite shoe website and see if anything catches your eye, Pam. Even though the heel isn't much more than a pair of flats at 1" or 1-1/2", it's the style that makes me feel dressy. I still have a few pairs of higher heels, but they don't come out of the closet to play much any more. My feet AChe at the end of those days and the effort isn't worth the pain involved.

Please let us know what you decide. A picture of the dress would be nice too. It sounds lovely.

Hi, Debbie! Whatcha been doin'?

Omigosh. I found a brand new category of shoes that you can search…. Wedding and Bridal. This category is absolutely full of beautiful, stylish flats. And, I found a new shoe brand called Pink Paradox London that has some really beautiful flats that are more formal. So…….

I'm. On. It.

Also, I ordered a cocktail length dress from the same designer cause I think that the hemming alteration might cost an arm and a leg. I can't afford to let this sale end! Thank goodness for great return policies, right?!?

OMG Melody...I'm so sorry that you have had to have so many surgeries and are getting ready for another. Seems too personal to ask about...so I will just share my sympathies for the situation and the hope that you won't have to have another...if that's a possible hope...and that you will have a successful surgery and fast recovery...

A few, very few, heels made the cut on my KonMari closet. I tried a pair on before our TA cruise...and while it wasn't horrible to stand in the shoes...walking seemed incredibly awkward. I have since been in a mental debate as to HOW I've been conditioned to find some heeled shoes so attractive...because the practical side of myself finds them to be utterly ridiculous beyond a certain point.

But I think Margaret looks fantastic in some of hers. :rolleyes: And a part of me wishes that I was rockin the heels like she can...

Regardless...watching so many ladies walk so weirdly in their heels on the Allure made me walk that much more confidently and CAPABLY in my bronze oxfords!

Ya'll know that Mom and I talked on the phone...but adding my voice to this conversation...I voted for altering the dress for flats...and given today's flexibility with hems and lengths...wear whatever shoes you want...if you flash some shoe and ankle as a result...well...

All the better for WALKING...and not tripping over your hem on the ship!

Melody, what an unbelievable circumstance with your foot. I'm continually amazed at how important a single moment in time can be. The impact that that man has had on your life, and he probably doesn't have a clue about the results of his insensitivity. I am receiving an order on those Pink Paradox London shoes; I'll let you know their look and quality when they arrive.

Is everyone here aware of Nordstrom's Rewards program? I didn't have a clue, so I thought that I'd share. I did call Nordstrom yesterday and was told that I could just waltz into the store at my convenience to be fitted for an alteration as they have a tailor on site. Now that is pretty cool. What I didn't know? If you have a Nordstrom credit card or a debit card, you are automatically enrolled as a Level 1 reward member… which means that you get $100 of free alterations in a year. With increased spend, the alterations freebie level increases… to the extent that individuals with higher spending actually receive unlimited free alterations! I think that is an outstanding benefit!

Of course, because I didn't know then I wouldn't fit under the program. What would happen if I returned the dress to my credit card and then bought it again on my brand new Nordstrom debit card! LOL. Can't undo the past, but can affect the future. So, going forward…..

All you ladies may already be aware of this. But, I was just so impressed with my new-found knowledge that I thought I'd take a moment to share.

In the meantime, I am wondering:

Debbie, whatcha been doin'?

Kim, whatcha been doin'?

Linda, how are you doin'?

All you lovely Earth ladies… I know what you're doin'! You're reading Anita's fabulous Trip Report! I'm having such a good time seeing the trip through her eyes. Just… fun.

Edited by Member123
hit the post key by mistake. still had more to say!

Hey Pam--this is what I've been up to the last week----I made myself a floppy sun hat and lined it with some of my African fabric. I'm so proud of myself! It's certainly not perfect but, I love the main fabric and the design of the hat is good for me and I did it myself! Don't I sound like a 2 year old????

http://images2.snapfish.com/232323232%7Ffp83232%3Euqcshlukaxroqdfv387%3A3%3Enu%3D37%3C%3A%3E252%3E3%3C9%3E28%3B%3B2524%3B%3A25%3Aot1lsi

http://images2.snapfish.com/232323232%7Ffp83232%3Euqcshlukaxroqdfv3%3A8%3B2%3Enu%3D37%3C%3A%3E252%3E3%3B%3B%3E28%3B%3B2524%3A%3C25%3Aot1lsi

I wish I could figure out why Chrome will not copy and paste my photos????? Annoying!

Melody,

Your foot saga sounds awful! Sounds like a recurring nightmare.

Pam,

That fashion blog is fun! Thanks for sharing. Are you going to post a photo of your new dress???? PLEASE, pretty please!

Don't think I'm joining in on the KonMari party. BUT, I do get on cleaning splurges when the mood strikes and it is very freeing!

Glad we're chatting it up a bit over hear in FIREland :)

Kim, that hat looks like such FUN.

Fun, fun, fun.

Nope. I'm not going to share my dress at this point… because, if I do, then I won't have anything new and exciting to share from my upcoming cruise! So, nope.

I am in the throes of research. Digesting all this information. I haven't quite figured out if I'm going to throw caution to the wind and just pack to my heart's content on this upcoming vacation. I mean… get ready for this! We are going to San Francisco, but only for one night. I'm not sure if we'll do anything "fancy" in San Francisco, or just call it a travel day. We board the ship the next day: so embarkation day. We'll be in Monterey, CA the next day: first port day.

And, that's the END of any thought of cooler weather. We'll be on for 16-nights, so I'm planning for a minimum of 3 formal nights… maybe 4. We have 8 sea days and 7 port days, so lots of possibilities for creative outfits. It's going to be hot; it's going to be humid.

I can't send my clothes to the ship's laundry. Even my DH's clothes are too specialized to go through the ship's laundry. He's all about technical fabrics; we sent some items of his to the ship's laundry and they came back in almost a non-wearable, absurdly wrinkled condition. Those tech fabrics just didn't take well to the hot laundry that the ship put them through. There's no way that my clothes would be able to stand up to the ship's laundry, and I spend WAY TOO MUCH TIME searching for them to expose them to that treatment. So, no ship's laundry for us. But I digress…

After we get through the Panama Canal, we disembark in Ft Lauderdale. The flight schedules returning home from FLL were terrible! Just terrible. It wasn't so much that they were expensive, but the timing was horrible. So <drumroll> I found us a great flight to Las Vegas!

If you're going to spend a night in Las Vegas, you might as well spend three. So, that's what we're going to do. Of course, this idea doesn't let up on the heat and humidity, although Las Vegas doesn't have such high humidity. The special circumstances of wardrobe planning for Las Vegas is the transition from outside temperatures to air conditioned lounges. Just a factor to take into consideration.

Even though I won't be cruising until mid-September, I'm really looking into my wardrobe right now because of all the summer sales. By the time that our cruise date arrives, the stores will have out their Fall merchandise, I'm sure. If I have any holes in my wardrobe, I need to get those filled now. So that's the reason for all this activity on my part.

Plus….

It's kind of fun. Thinking about cruising is always fun.

What a great travel plan Pam! I love tge a Fashion Mall in Las Vegas. I always plan to spend a day there. Did you know if you show an out of state drivers license at the Macy's there they'll give you a 10% coupon off of your entire purchase? September/October, best months for Vegas

Kim, that hat looks like such FUN.

Fun, fun, fun.

Nope. I'm not going to share my dress at this point… because, if I do, then I won't have anything new and exciting to share from my upcoming cruise! So, nope.

I am in the throes of research. Digesting all this information. I haven't quite figured out if I'm going to throw caution to the wind and just pack to my heart's content on this upcoming vacation. I mean… get ready for this! We are going to San Francisco, but only for one night. I'm not sure if we'll do anything "fancy" in San Francisco, or just call it a travel day. We board the ship the next day: so embarkation day. We'll be in Monterey, CA the next day: first port day.

And, that's the END of any thought of cooler weather. We'll be on for 16-nights, so I'm planning for a minimum of 3 formal nights… maybe 4. We have 8 sea days and 7 port days, so lots of possibilities for creative outfits. It's going to be hot; it's going to be humid.

I can't send my clothes to the ship's laundry. Even my DH's clothes are too specialized to go through the ship's laundry. He's all about technical fabrics; we sent some items of his to the ship's laundry and they came back in almost a non-wearable, absurdly wrinkled condition. Those tech fabrics just didn't take well to the hot laundry that the ship put them through. There's no way that my clothes would be able to stand up to the ship's laundry, and I spend WAY TOO MUCH TIME searching for them to expose them to that treatment. So, no ship's laundry for us. But I digress…

After we get through the Panama Canal, we disembark in Ft Lauderdale. The flight schedules returning home from FLL were terrible! Just terrible. It wasn't so much that they were expensive, but the timing was horrible. So <drumroll> I found us a great flight to Las Vegas!

If you're going to spend a night in Las Vegas, you might as well spend three. So, that's what we're going to do. Of course, this idea doesn't let up on the heat and humidity, although Las Vegas doesn't have such high humidity. The special circumstances of wardrobe planning for Las Vegas is the transition from outside temperatures to air conditioned lounges. Just a factor to take into consideration.

Even though I won't be cruising until mid-September, I'm really looking into my wardrobe right now because of all the summer sales. By the time that our cruise date arrives, the stores will have out their Fall merchandise, I'm sure. If I have any holes in my wardrobe, I need to get those filled now. So that's the reason for all this activity on my part.

Plus….

It's kind of fun. Thinking about cruising is always fun.

Hi Pam,

I think my new hat is fun and it will be functional too :D

Your next trip sounds fun. I have done the 2 week Panama Canal cruise but, it was in January. We started in L.A., went down the Mexican Riviera side, through the Canal and over to Aruba and Curacao and then finished in Fort Lauderdale. It was a wonderful cruise with so many new and interesting ports for us. The weather was warm and humid through the Canal.

Never been to Vegas :(

Kim...your hat came out AWESOME!! Such fun! What wire did you use in the brim? Did you use any interfacing on it?

You need to have the URL tags at the beginning and end of the http address of your photos. When I copy and paste the URL address, I hit that moon/mtn button in the reply window and paste into that pop up box. Tags have [] around the tag word...in this case, to show the pictures in your post...the URL tag. The one at the front is just the box parenthesis around URL...the one at the end is the box around /URL. The moon/mtn button automatically adds the tags in the proper format. The tags surround the http url address.

Thanks for the compliment, Anita. I am quite proud of it :) I didn't use wire, I actually used trimmer line and yes, I did use interfacing. I used the sew in kind and not the iron on kind. At Joann's one of the helpful ladies said she sometimes has problems with the iron on kind bubbling up, so she suggested the sew in kind and I liked it a lot. It was easy to use and I had no worries about it messing up the fabric.

As to the photos and Chrome. I have no problem just clicking and pasting with I.E. Or Firefox, it's only Chrome that won't do it. I'm not a big fan of I.E. And loved Firefox until a few months ago I had a problem with it and it got some kind of adware on it that I can't get off and it slows it down a lot :( so, Chrome it was. I like it too except for the fact I can't just click, copy, paste photos! Maybe there is something I just don't understand with it????

It isn't Chrome...it's the interaction between Chrome and the forum. You could copy an image in Chrome and paste it in Word. This forum doesn't know how to interpret the way that Chrome codes the image so the paste function doesn't work in this forum because it doesn't recognize what to do in order to paste...so you have to use the tools of the forum (that button) or manually tag your url address.

It isn't Chrome...it's the interaction between Chrome and the forum. You could copy an image in Chrome and paste it in Word. This forum doesn't know how to interpret the way that Chrome codes the image so the paste function doesn't work in this forum because it doesn't recognize what to do in order to paste...so you have to use the tools of the forum (that button) or manually tag your url address.

Got it. Thanks for re-explaining it to me :o

Hey All! I'm back, but barely... life has been super hectic since we returned from our cruise on May 15.

#1- Mom had a stroke next day which has affected her right side. Good news is there was no brain damage. Bad news- she lost use of her right hand for a while. She has worked really hard with PT and after 3 weeks in hospital, we brought her home on Sunday. She is 90 years young and Dad is 93. They live very independent lives in the country. There are little improvements every day and for that I am very thankful! I am the only one here to take care of them, so I've been running between their house and hospital and mine for 3 weeks. Things should calm down a little now that she is home. We have moved a bed downstairs for her as they live in a very very old farm house and the bathroom is on the first floor. She is managing quite well and I go out every other day. I will be spending the whole day there tomorrow preparing food for them for several days and doing laundry. She has a cleaning lady come every two weeks, so I just need to pick up and wipe things down quickly.

#2-My cataract surgery went well, but since I have such a problem with my eyes, doctor is being very careful and I am not allowed to drive. I can't see that well anyway, so DH has to cart me around! I can see better than I did before..meaning I never could see anything at a distance without my glasses or contacts in...It's very strange for me now, after 40+ years, not to put on a pair of glasses or contacts first thing in the am and last thing at night. I catch myself nearly every night trying to take my contacts out- that aren't in! LOL I'm in awe that I can sit and watch tv or type here without any corrections!! and colors!!!! OMG!!!! I can't believer how bright things are! Now, I'm questioning my wardrobe!?!:eek: I just had the stitches removed today after 3 weeks, and won't be getting my correction for another 3 weeks because of all the drops I'm on right now...Can't wait until I can see street signs again!

#3-DS and his SO are in the process of buying a house and are having quite a few difficulties with it! Stressfull times for them and hence for me, because he calls me to use as his sounding board. I listen, then try to calm him down, so he can calm her down...loan and papers were signed, then problem with house inspection, now problem with banks appraisal...Talk about stress.. I think the universe may be trying to tell us something... They really want this house though.

#4- We are looking for a house! We need to find something on one floor so I don't have to do stairs as I am having great difficulty with my knees. They are killing me! Everyday and night!!!! And I need something that we can move my parents and/or his mother into to make it easier for me to take care of them.

There just aren't enough hours in the day any more!!!

So, KIm..... love your skirts and hat!!!

Pam- glad you're feeling better and planning another trip...how wonderful!

Debbie- how are you?

Anita, I haven't gotten over to the Earth board, but will try to in the near future..I just know you are full of all kinds of wisdom and fun!

I'm playing catch up, but it's taking more time than I have right now.

I promise to post picto of the cruise as soon as I can. Please hang in with me.

I'm not taking time to proof this so please excuse any and all typos.

I'll be back as soon as I can, even just to say HEY!:D

Edited by snuggles

Linda, so good to hear from you :) It sounds like things may be on the upswing for you and your family. You will stay in my prayers. Can't wait to see your pictodiary and hear all about your cruise.

Linda, so good to hear that things seem to be on the upswing. You certainly needed for them to be, huh? My mom and dad sound exactly like yours except they are both 79 and just recently began heart complications, cancer surgeries and the endless doctor and hospital visits that accompany such issues. My mother never seemed old until recently. It was a real eye opener the day I asked 'how are you doing?' and was told a list of ailments and each necessary past and future medical appointment. I hate that these things are uppermost in her mind instead of what's growing in the garden.

Like everyone else, life keeps happening here in Kentucky too. DH and I keep DD's kiddos most every Friday evening and Saturday until sometime after lunch depending upon the day's activities. DGD is 6 and DGS turned 3 last week. DSIL was hospitalized on Monday and DD alternated her time between work (it's her very busiest season) and hospital. We picked kiddos up from sitter as soon as my work day ended and dropped them off the next day. Whoooeee! I'm slap-dab worn out. I'd lay down right now on my office floor and take a nap if I could. SIL is home now, so our tour of duty ended last night. They will have "good family time" this evening and we are not needed again until sometime Sunday afternoon. I can't imagine grandparents that are raising grandchildren. I know I would, but it would involve LOTS of caffeine until my get-up-and-go revived. That is possible, right? Looking back, how did I ever manage when my kids were small? I understood that the aches and pains and general wear and tear of aging had taken a toll, but I didn't realize exactly how much until sometime yesterday. I. Am. Beat!

Kim, yes, all caps! I LOVE YOUR HAT!!! Weedeater line? I would never have thought of it, but we have plenty. Another tidbit to stick away in my "someday I'll do that" file.

Pam, how did the shoes work out for you? If you don't mind and have time, I'd love to hear more about how you work out your wardrobe challenges for the upcoming trip.

Melody, I'm so sorry to hear about your foot problems. Surgery is never good. Necessary sometimes, but....well, I just hate it for you. Hope #13 was your lucky number.

It's so good to listen to a snapshot of everyone's lives here and on the EARTH thread. I'm so glad to have such nice cyber-friends.

Anita,

Just wanted to say that I wore my dark aqua/gold skirt yesterday and got so many compliments. They enjoyed it even more when I said that it was my fabric from Africa.

I think I'll wear the shorter floral one today :)

That's awesome Kim! You made my day!

I still have to figure out what I want to do with that fabric for myself. Part of my struggle is that I'm not where I want to be shapewise so I don't want to make something that wouldn't work regardless of body shape...KWIM?