why are irons not allowed?

wannatan

Can anyone tell me why travel irons are not allowed and how do they really no if you have one in your luggage or not.

We will be travelling next year and the thought of no iron in the state room is not a nice thought. Bearing in mind we will have a transatlantic flight then a night stopover before we board our clothes are going to be quite creased. esp as I will prob pack 2 days before we leave.

Can anyone tell me why travel irons are not allowed and how do they really no if you have one in your luggage or not.

We will be travelling next year and the thought of no iron in the state room is not a nice thought. Bearing in mind we will have a transatlantic flight then a night stopover before we board our clothes are going to be quite creased. esp as I will prob pack 2 days before we leave.

Fire Hazard and Electrical Overload problem....Your problem is not unusal, there are many ways around it...I don't have my clothes done at home, I wait until I get on the ship and send it out to the laundry. The prices are cheaper than what I pay for back home...

Also they check the bags before they are delivered to you cabin. That is how they know.

Totally agree with Cruisestich about steaming out the creases - always worked for us. However, I do find it odd that irons are not allowed because of the fire hazard (quite agree with this) BUT people can smoke in their cabins/on board. A sleepy smoker could cause havoc.:confused:

Totally agree with Cruisestich about steaming out the creases - always worked for us. However, I do find it odd that irons are not allowed because of the fire hazard (quite agree with this) BUT people can smoke in their cabins/on board. A sleepy smoker could cause havoc.:confused:

People can't do this on Celebrity.

The shower/steam works well on wool and silk but not on cotton.

I have brought an iron in the past...I don't get why curling/flat irons are allowed and clothes irons are not. They are basically the same animal in a different shape. But You can use a flat iron to put a crease in your pants.

Perhaps that is why Celebrity does not permit smoking in the cabin or on the veranda on all their ships...

FIRE HAZARD, NOTHING!!! The cruise lines are simply sick and tired of replacing burnt carpets, furniture, bedding and counter tops. With people expressing such a lack of respect for cruise line property, they have no choice than to counter with a "No Irons Allowed" policy. Besides, the Laundry service department needs the revenue!

I don't get why curling/flat irons are allowed and clothes irons are not..

I think most of the reason is that the cruiselines want revenue from their laundry/pressing service. Curling irons can be an equal fire hazzard, but the cruiselines know that if they tried to ban curling irons that the women would revolt and start a mutiny.

It's not only a fire hazard, but many people have done a lot of damage to the desks, carpeting and bedspreads by burning them with those irons. You'd be surprised by how many people use those things and scorch whatever they're ironing on. Plus, many people use irons that are in bad condition and can cause fires.

It's not only a fire hazard, but many people have done a lot of damage to the desks, carpeting and bedspreads by burning them with those irons. You'd be surprised by how many people use those things and scorch whatever they're ironing on. Plus, many people use irons that are in bad condition and can cause fires.

Are you talking about cigarettes? It sure sound like cigarettes!

Fire danger pure and simple. Using an iron might cause something like the below video shows. Not sure if it was caused by an iron, but fire danger nonetheless.....:eek::eek::eek:

Bob

This thread has gone on for years, and no one ever comes up with a valid reason about the irons. For each person that says fire hazard, folks come up with enough other electrical devices that would cause fires just as easy. And even on this board, the amount of folks that bring an additiona extension cord and put in there battery pack, computer, night vision googles, portable refrigerator and on and think of all the current that stuff is drawing.

Now I would agree that an Iron is a potential hazard but if one were to bring one, use it and cool it so it goes

But the answers have not changed in years, and as I mentioned there has yet to be a valid answer as to why no irons See the article below look at the fires on the cruise ship, hmmm is there a link wait no irons starting fires but cigarettes YUP

http://www.cruiselawnews.com/2010/03/articles/fires-1/ten-years-of-cruise-ship-fires-has-the-cruise-industry-learned-anything/

Have a good day and press on

Pete

This thread has gone on for years, and no one ever comes up with a valid reason about the irons. For each person that says fire hazard, folks come up with enough other electrical devices that would cause fires just as easy. And even on this board, the amount of folks that bring an additiona extension cord and put in there battery pack, computer, night vision googles, portable refrigerator and on and think of all the current that stuff is drawing.

Now I would agree that an Iron is a potential hazard but if one were to bring one, use it and cool it so it goes

But the answers have not changed in years, and as I mentioned there has yet to be a valid answer as to why no irons See the article below look at the fires on the cruise ship, hmmm is there a link wait no irons starting fires but cigarettes YUP

http://www.cruiselawnews.com/2010/03/articles/fires-1/ten-years-of-cruise-ship-fires-has-the-cruise-industry-learned-anything/

Have a good day and press on

Pete

Good point & article.

It says NO IRONS so NO IRONS. If you can't follow the rules, stay home. Don't put us all in jeopardy.

Mardon come on now "cant follow the rules stay home" so the folks that sneak in the booze whoops broke a rule, sharing a drink package, whoops broke a rule, put towels on the pool chairs no saving, whoops broke a rule

Do you honestly think an iron is putting you in jeopardy or is it the fact that NO one complies with all the rules yet you say stay home Have you ever broken a rule on a cruise

Press on

Pete

One of the biggest dangers for a ship is fire; moreso than wind, waves, hurricanes, icebergs, etc. so anything that could potentially cause a fire is taken very, very seriously. Surprisingly, it's not unusual for ships to experience a small fire from time-to-time, almost all of them electrical.

I was once on a HAL ship and the emergency alert sounded at 1:58am. It took about two blasts to wake me up and realize what the heck it was, and by the time the last blast was done, I was dressed, grabbing a jacket, jewelry (gotta bring that), medications and life jacket. A few seconds later, the Captain came on to tell everyone to stay in their cabin, that the transformer in the buffet cooler (industrial frig) had blown and started a fire in the buffet. It was put out within 6 minutes and we were then apologized to and told to go back to bed. Yeah. Sure.

It says NO IRONS so NO IRONS. If you can't follow the rules, stay home. Don't put us all in jeopardy.

You sound like you follow the rules. Too bad many others don't! This is a society of 'why me, I am on vacation and I can do what ever I want. I paid for my vacation and if you don't like it, look the other way.' LOL

Dress Code

Booze

Conduct

Kids in Adult Pool

Noise and running up and down the halls.

Do I need to add more?

Good Night!

Archived