Dedicated Cruise Photography Time

bobmacliberty

I have not been completely satisfied with the pics that I've taken on my cruises. Part of that I'm sure has to do with my still (hopefully!) developing photographic talents and inflated expectations, but I also haven't set aside any significant amount of time with the specific intent of taking creative photographs. I typically take my camera with me everywhere possible, but photography is secondary to the excursion, laying by the pool, eating dinner, etc. I've seen some simply outstanding pictures posted that were clearly taken with a tripod, had time spent arranging the composition, were shot late in the evening/early in the morning, etc. Said another way, the photographer likely spent some time/effort setting up the shot to get the great result that s/he got.

My question...do you set aside time for the express purpose of "photography" (as oppossed to taking pictures, if you know what I mean) when cruising? Or do you just rely on talent/experience to find good photographic opportunities in the course of everything else that you do while cruising?

I have not been completely satisfied with the pics that I've taken on my cruises. Part of that I'm sure has to do with my still (hopefully!) developing photographic talents and inflated expectations, but I also haven't set aside any significant amount of time with the specific intent of taking creative photographs. I typically take my camera with me everywhere possible, but photography is secondary to the excursion, laying by the pool, eating dinner, etc. I've seen some simply outstanding pictures posted that were clearly taken with a tripod, had time spent arranging the composition, were shot late in the evening/early in the morning, etc. Said another way, the photographer likely spent some time/effort setting up the shot to get the great result that s/he got.

My question...do you set aside time for the express purpose of "photography" (as oppossed to taking pictures, if you know what I mean) when cruising? Or do you just rely on talent/experience to find good photographic opportunities in the course of everything else that you do while cruising?

I know exactly where you are coming from. I look at some of the night time pics, where no one is around or the of the ship at night and think I would love to do that. But who wants to carry a tripod or stop what you are doing to setup to take the pics. Like you, I take a camera with me almost everywhere when I am cruising. I am learning a lot and take much pictures than I used to, mainly due to better equipment. However, I mainly rely on my photoshop skills. Before I started cruising or trying to learn about photography, I had to learn photoshop for some of the web design work I do on the side. Most of my best work comes from what I photoshop.

I still have a hard time deciding on appropriate settings, so I always shot in RAW if I can, so I can make all my adjustments pre camera compression/sharpening/etc. (using a canon t1i or a canon g11). I also have a canon D10 for underwater and a canon 940is because I can always carry it in my pocket (it is a very small p&s).

I hope as I learn more that I can rely less on photoshop for good pics.

As to the matter of taking pictures, I am trying to devote time on the first/last days of a cruise to take general pictures of the ship. Other than that, I'm usually too lazy to go to much more effort for setting up/carrying equipment. I do try to be on deck whenever we leave a port to take pics. I do look out for interesting things to take pics of (and as I get more serious about photography, I am constantly being more observant of my surroundings and thinking about how to compose a shot in my day to day life).

Being a vacation, I'm even too lazy to get up and get a sunrise pic :p

Sorry for all the rambling and jumping from subject to subject, but your post really got me thinking ;)

Really good question and it took me a lot of trips and cruises to answer it for myself. My whole carryon used to be full of DSLR's, lenses, flashes, etc along with the monopod & tripod (really!) in the checked luggage. Seems like I would use only 1/2 of it and still spent way too much time preparing rather than shooting. Not saying that's a bad thing but I now do my "serious" shooting at home and on the trips & cruises just take a D10 for excursions & the wet and a S90 for controlled environments (and small gorillapod). These versatile p&s's have come a long long way. I spend more time on vacation now rather than on a "shooting assignment". That's just what works for me now as I've simplified and am glad I did. My pic's are more than satisfactory for my purposes. :cool:

Since I have one of those work schedules and circadian rhythms that has me up from 3:00 am to about 10:00 pm, I find myself doing much (if not most) of my shipboard photography when everyone else is (or should be) sleeping.

I DO carry a tripod everywhere I go (though I don't always use it), And I try to dedicate as much time as I can to photographing the things I have picked out as goals for that particular cruise. I rarely take shore excursions any more, because I've already been to most of the destinations several times in the past, so we can spend time just walking about on our own/going to the attractions that interest us.

278595485_vWveY-M.jpg

985334110_YbJp6-M.jpg

Just a couple of examples of time planning and shooting when not too many others are around.

Really good question and it took me a lot of trips and cruises to answer it for myself. My whole carryon used to be full of DSLR's, lenses, flashes, etc along with the monopod & tripod (really!) in the checked luggage. Seems like I would use only 1/2 of it and still spent way too much time preparing rather than shooting. Not saying that's a bad thing but I now do my "serious" shooting at home and on the trips & cruises just take a D10 for excursions & the wet and a S90 for controlled environments (and small gorillapod). These versatile p&s's have come a long long way. I spend more time on vacation now rather than on a "shooting assignment". That's just what works for me now as I've simplified and am glad I did. My pic's are more than satisfactory for my purposes. :cool:

I think I finally found a solution for myself that is as close to perfect as I can get.... I'm using a Panasonic Lumix GF-1, the so-called Micro-four/thirds format. In function it falls between a full on DSLR and a point and shoot, but has interchangeable lenses - and the lenses are very good.

Panasonic's collaboration with Leica on this system shows. Plus you can put almost any of your old SLR lenses on the GF-1 body with an adapter.

No reflex mirror, so no through-the -lens view... but no pentaprism either, so the camera is quite small. There is an electronic viewfinder available, but most composing is done on a hi-res LCD screen.

I could go on, but just google Lumix GF-1 if you're interested.

I now can carry the camera and 4 lenses in a small waist pack.

As for shooting .RAW files, I do that and happily process the pics myself, because the camera's software and processor are not anywhere near as powerful as my computer/software at home, so I feel I can get way better results.

I don't pack a tripod on trips, but I certainly use anything available - i.e. railings, posts, trees, whatever I can steady the camera on if it is convenient. Otherwise it's just hand-held the old fashioned way.

P1010288.jpg

P1020334.jpg

.P1020173.jpg

Thanks for the great responses. The posted shots are outstanding examples of what I'm talking about. Really nice. I do enjoy the process of photography...stimulating the creative part of my brain that doesn't get used as much day-to-day. I don't mind bringing/carrying the equipment and I think that dedicating time for photography would add to my vacation experience rather than take away from it (so long as it doesn't impact my family :)). Besides...that might give me a good excuse to buy a better wide angle lens, a better tripod, etc., etc. :D

pierces...I love your elevator shot. I don't think I've ever seen a shot like that. I'll definitely need to remember that technique the next time I'm somewhere with a glass elevator. The EXIF info says a shutter speed of 1.3 seconds. Did you use a tripod/monopod or just lean against the wall somehow for a wider angle? Did you have to do any PP to take your reflection out of the shot? Great stuff!

pierces...I love your elevator shot. I don't think I've ever seen a shot like that. I'll definitely need to remember that technique the next time I'm somewhere with a glass elevator. The EXIF info says a shutter speed of 1.3 seconds. Did you use a tripod/monopod or just lean against the wall somehow for a wider angle? Did you have to do any PP to take your reflection out of the shot? Great stuff!

No PP. It was shot early in the morning from my travel tripod at an angle that didn't include yours truly. It is one of the few times I ever actually used the tripod. I've carried it ona dozen cruises and used it maybe a half-dozen times. I shoot with a Sony DSLR and formerly a Minolta, so down to a half-second or so, I can hand-hold and below that I use the nearest solid thing like a rail or whatever.

Here's a shot using the "rail-pod":

p843423186-4.jpg

Dave

Lots of nice on-ship pictures are shown. Great work!!!! I've taken along a tripod but ended up not using it. Below are some of my photo tips, including how to get "steady" pictures, etc. Also below are a few "people" and food pictures that are fun on a cruise ship to do and have. Plus a couple from our Norway Coast trip. Lots of waterfalls, fjords, spectacular land and sea-scapes.

Photo secrets & tips? It's a little more than just the "camera". My camera is a Nikon D50 SLR. Good, but not at the super pro level. Lots of people have cameras at and near that quality or comparable. These days, the digital technology has improved so much that nearly everyone can take good to great pictures. Here are some of my tips, secrets and suggestions to share. I found taking cruise and travel pictures is fun, plus much, much cheaper than shopping for souvenirs.

1. ZOOM/FRAMING: Fill the frame and make it interesting. Use your feet. Move closer. Zoom in or out. Make it tighter in the picture frame, etc. People don't want to be bored with a key subject or highlight being only in the middle 15% of the picture frame.

2. LENS: Many of the nice pictures in certain famed palaces and churches in Russia, etc., were taken with a new 10-20 mm lens that gives a wider angle view than average. That really helped create some picture "drama" without being too wide and distorted as can happen with a fish-eye lens. There are cases where that longer lens (have a 70-300 mm zoom) can really help. In many cases, my basic 18-55 mm zoom covers the middle range. It's nice to have one lens that covers all needs, but then you lose some in the desired picture quality.

3. LOTS OF PICTURES: With digital, it is much easier and cheaper to take lots of pictures, see what you have, take more pictures, try different angles, etc. In the old 35 mm film days, you could not take as many different pictures and you were always guessing and hoping on exposure, what you really captured, etc. Then you need to be checking as you go on what you just shot, blow off the duds, etc. It's great instant feed-back on what's working and what's not. As you are riding on a bus, waiting in line, that picture checking is a good way to both pass the time and monitor your picture progress/success (or failure).

4. STEADY HOLD: I mostly use the eyepiece viewer, not the back of camera viewing screen. That keeps the camera closer to my body and makes it more stable. Use your elbows against your body to brace the camera. I'll lean against walls or doorframes when taking certain inside pictures in low light situations to improve . . . stability! You don't want blurred and shaky pictures. Set the camera on walls, chairs, etc. Stability! Some think that if they push the button faster to take the picture, then it will be better. WRONG! Gently S-Q-U-E-E-Z-E that shutter button, slowly! It makes a major difference in picture quality.

5. PEOPLE: Having people as a part of the picture gives it context, interest, etc. Lots of "just the place" pictures are nice, but I have found that the ones with some human involvement and/or connection look and work better.

Do you download your pictures to your computer? Today's technology makes it easier to straighten pictures, adjust the cropping, fix color balance, etc. I usually take my MackBook Pro laptop along, downloading and checking the pictures as I travel, etc. That helps to know what I'm getting and improve my "focus" as I travel in such great, scenic places. Playing with the pictures on the flight back while I listen to the "tunes" on my computer also helps pass the time quicker. Many laptops also have great programs to put these pictures into nice “slide shows” with various great visuals tools to add titles, do dissolves, etc.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

For lots of interesting details, great visuals, etc., from our July 1-16 Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. Don’t be shy and feel free to ask any questions of interest.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

As we departed Svolvaer in the Lofoten Islands on a perfect, sunny day, these are two of the green, tree-covered mountains rising up from the sea that we saw with the small out-islands in the foreground.:

LofotenSlovDeparting.jpg

This is one of my many puffin visuals, showing their bright orange feet, plus their cute and unique beaks. We had a private boat from is the harbor in Gjesvaer near the North Cape.:

BirdRockPuffinFeet.jpg

You go on these Norway Coast cruises for the spectacular fjords. From the journey to Flam, Gudvangen and Sognerfjord, here is one picture giving you a sampling of the skies and views for these beautiful internal coast lines of the fjords.

FjordsDramaticClouds2.jpg

From the portside control area, here is the view as our ship sailed up this narrow 300’ wide passage in the Trollfjord as a part of the Lofoton Islands. :

TrollfjordShipControl.jpg

The weather was wonderfully upper 60’s for breakfast on our first sea day sailing to Norway. Here was our dining view with another cruise ship sailing south from fjord country.:

CPHBreakfastViews.jpg

For our final dining main course, after the strawberry sorbet serving, I had in the main dining room, this Angus beef that was called “Entrecote Rossini”. It was served with fois gras, a crispy potato galette and truffled jus. There were also main course options of sautéed sea scallop and shrimps, slow-cooked pigeon “Souvaroff” or summer lasagna without meat in it. There would be a Relais & Chateaux chef-suggested way to pick a selection for these three courses based on their “collection” of menu items for Silversea. Wellness and vegetarian options were noted on the menu. You could do menu special orders with a day’s advance notice to the kitchen. We did this as a group with a special Thai dinner that evening. If you had special diet needs, the kitchen should be advised in advance and they adjust well.:

CloudDinnerMainCourse.jpg

Another option, especially if you are trying to limit the equipment you bring but are willing to spend a bit more, is to buy good image-stabilizing lenses (such as some of the Canon "L" lenses). While these won't freeze motion, I routinely bring one or two of them with me when I travel as they help to produce great shots in low light conditions (such as in churches, museums, on the ship). If there is some motion in the pictures, it could also produce interesting shots by keeping still objects in sharp focus while blurring the activity.

These lenses are more expensive but can produce terrific results if used properly.

Another option, especially if you are trying to limit the equipment you bring but are willing to spend a bit more, is to buy good image-stabilizing lenses (such as some of the Canon "L" lenses). While these won't freeze motion, I routinely bring one or two of them with me when I travel as they help to produce great shots in low light conditions (such as in churches, museums, on the ship). If there is some motion in the pictures, it could also produce interesting shots by keeping still objects in sharp focus while blurring the activity.

These lenses are more expensive but can produce terrific results if used properly.

I agree 100%, I have slowly upgraded my lens lineup to mostly L-series lenses and the difference is noticeable. If you crop in, it makes a big difference in the sharpness.

My husband and I work for the same company and have an agreement, the moment we step out the door heading for the airport there is no talk or emails related to work for the rest of the vacation. On our first cruise I captured this very relaxing moment and have been exploring the wonderful world of photography ever since. My photos and equipment have improved over the last couple of years. Even though my husband does not get behind the lense, he has a great eye for interesting shots and is my director. We actualy book vacations now based on what we may capture in a photo. I would say we for sure always make time for photography.

n525733262_149420_732.jpg

n525733262_874292_1723.jpg

Through photography I stop and look at the world now and not just pass through it. Last winter on a vacation back home, scenes I had seen hundreds of times, now have caught my attention.

18643_261857563262_525733262_3343165_4775054_n.jpg

18643_261857573262_525733262_3343167_2204838_n.jpg

18643_261857533262_525733262_3343160_569568_n.jpg

18643_261857553262_525733262_3343163_6657769_n.jpg

On our first cruise I captured this very relaxing moment and have been exploring the wonderful world of photography ever since.

Moutainveiw - I think you're doing a little more than just "exploring" photography. The picture of your husband truly captures the meaning of relaxation, and I really like your winter barn scene photo.

Moutainveiw - I think you're doing a little more than just "exploring" photography. The picture of your husband truly captures the meaning of relaxation, and I really like your winter barn scene photo.

Thank you Bobmacliberty, I'm "exploring" and learning until I can work out how to make photography a second career. Cruiseing has allowed us the opetunity to leave work behind, I think this is one of my favorite photos because we had such a wonderful time on this cruise.

I think what anyone needs to decide with regards to photography is whether or not photography is something they want to get on the ship to document the vacation, and the camera is like any other piece of technology - the means by which you achieve that need...or whether photography is a passion, an enthusiasm, a hobby, something you pursue because it IS part of the vacation. If you're in group 1, finding photography time to get good shots is a duty or chore that you must decide whether to allot time for. If you're in group 2, photography time was already part of the plan for the vacation and part of the reason you go...therefore never hard to find time for.

I love photography, and I travel partly for photography. My first day aboard usually involves me abandoning family and friends for several hours roaming the ship to photograph. Each day, or night, finds me with several hours to wander on my own, on the ship or on shore, just to take photographs. When someone else might have some onboard activity they'd prefer to do, I'd prefer to skip that and enjoy photography. When others might want to spend an hour or two in the casino, I'd rather be out with my tripod taking night photos.

I don't know if I'm supposed to promote my photos now to show my point...but I think I'll leave it simple as I've already got my galleries linked in my signature. Sufficeth to say finding time for photography has never been a problem, since photography is a major part of my vacation motivation.

I love photography, and I travel partly for photography. My first day aboard usually involves me abandoning family and friends for several hours roaming the ship to photograph. Each day, or night, finds me with several hours to wander on my own, on the ship or on shore, just to take photographs. When someone else might have some onboard activity they'd prefer to do, I'd prefer to skip that and enjoy photography. When others might want to spend an hour or two in the casino, I'd rather be out with my tripod taking night photos.

Sufficeth to say finding time for photography has never been a problem, since photography is a major part of my vacation motivation.

That basically sums up my vacation too! Except for the abandoning the family part, as my GF has a passion for photography, so we wander the ship together exploring things to photograph. It's kind of funny, on numerous occasions we have been asked if we are the ships photographers, partly because of the DSLRs and partly because we are mid 20's I assume?

Yep...we obsessed photographers get that often! I've been asked before if I was shooting promo shots for the cruise line, if I was a ship photographer, if I was shooting for a magazine or article...all kinds of things. Mostly because of the DSLR, the various lenses, the tripod, or just the time I take to set up a shot, or the things I choose to take a photo of. I get much the same at Disney, where I've been asked if I was a Disney "photopass" photographer.

I think what anyone needs to decide with regards to photography is whether or not photography is something they want to get on the ship to document the vacation, and the camera is like any other piece of technology - the means by which you achieve that need...or whether photography is a passion, an enthusiasm, a hobby, something you pursue because it IS part of the vacation. If you're in group 1, finding photography time to get good shots is a duty or chore that you must decide whether to allot time for. If you're in group 2, photography time was already part of the plan for the vacation and part of the reason you go...therefore never hard to find time for.

Very well said. I feel like I'm somewhere between your 2 groups. I don't view getting good shots as a duty or a chore (I really do enjoy it), but I'm not as fully committed as the way that you describe the second group. If you either have that passion or you don't, then I'll probably always be stuck in the middle. If that passion grows over time and with experience, then I'm on my way.

For my husband, he sets aside time to take photos, we pick excursions, sometimes, based on the photographic oppertunities, however, after being a professional photographer for many years, it is second nature to him and he can set up a good shot easier than some other people, like me, (in fact as I am typing this, he is telling me I need to learn what the numbers on the camera mean, he's not impressed with my fall color photos, oh well). He can look at something and know without thinking what the camera needs to be set at, and which angle to shoot from. Some people get great shots by chance and by luck. Some people work very hard at thier art and get great shots.

Even though our cruises are working vacations for him, it is a work he loves and I love supporting his work. ( that means I carry around the equipment while he is shooting)

Keep shooting, photographs keep the memories fresh and are a great way to share your vacation!

Yep...we obsessed photographers get that often! I've been asked before if I was shooting promo shots for the cruise line, if I was a ship photographer, if I was shooting for a magazine or article...all kinds of things. Mostly because of the DSLR, the various lenses, the tripod, or just the time I take to set up a shot, or the things I choose to take a photo of. I get much the same at Disney, where I've been asked if I was a Disney "photopass" photographer.

Best one yet for us anyway, last May in Glacier Bay on the Ryndam we had a camera on a tripod with 400mm and then another 2 handheld with a wide angle and zoom and an older gentleman came up and asked if we were National Geographic photographers. Was good for a chuckle. We also find the camera makes a great conversation piece. We have met many people who share the same passion just by seeing each other out and about taking photos and striking up a conversation.

Keep shooting, photographs keep the memories fresh and are a great way to share your vacation!

Super excellent point on how the photos keep the memories alive and fresh. On a cruise with lots of great port stops and in scenic areas, you will see lots and it's hard remember everything. BUT, then you've got your photos. I did a live/blog posting as we cruised the Norway Coast. I uploaded pictures as we traveled and got lots of comments and questions. That interactive "sharing" is fun and interesting. It's now over 19,000 views for this posting. Normally, it is hard to get many to be interested in seeing your vacation pictures. This is a great way to let others know about all of the exciting places in the world. Posting in this larger size makes the settings come alive. Below are a few trip examples from Copenhagen and the scenic Norway Coast.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

For lots of interesting details, great visuals, etc., from our July 1-16 Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. Don’t be shy and feel free to ask any questions of interest. Appreciate those who have “tuned in”.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

This picture shows the Bergen Floibanen funicular railway coming up the steep hill with the harbor, fish market, etc. in the background of this charming Norway coastal town with so much great history and architecture. On the top, somewhat right, the Silver Cloud and Costa ships can be seen in the harbor.

BergenRailCarUpHill.jpg

As we drive back on the Lofoten Islands along the western Norway Coast, here is a view, among many, we enjoyed.:

LofotenRockBoatsDramatic.jpg

In Copenhagen, Tivoli looks so special at night with its famed building designs, water features, gardens, flowers, rides, people, entertainment, etc.:

TivoliJapHseLake.jpg

• 2 years later...
No PP. It was shot early in the morning from my travel tripod at an angle that didn't include yours truly. It is one of the few times I ever actually used the tripod. I've carried it ona dozen cruises and used it maybe a half-dozen times. I shoot with a Sony DSLR and formerly a Minolta, so down to a half-second or so, I can hand-hold and below that I use the nearest solid thing like a rail or whatever.

Here's a shot using the "rail-pod":

p843423186-4.jpg

Dave

Dave, your photos never cease to amaze me. I love your creativity and composition.

My question...do you set aside time for the express purpose of "photography" (as oppossed to taking pictures, if you know what I mean) when cruising?

I don't think I ever saw this thread, but my answer would have been no. On land vacations I do set aside time, but not on cruises.

Archived