Since other thread is closed.....an update...

veggie59

I make arrangements in private the day before with the head waiter or maitre d', and if suitable choices are not on the menu, which does happen, the chef is always willing to prepare a special meal such as vegetable curry. Again, this is always arranged a day ahead of time. If my tablemates do not hear me tell the waiter that I have a special meal prepared, they would not even know that I have these dietary restrictions.

Bill

Bill, bless you for handling it so well. I'm sure you're a joy to your tablemates on all lines.

Caro

My DH has a severe tree nut allergy. There isn't anywhere on the Personalizer to state this. Therefore, we notify the head waiter and/or maitre'd on the first time we go to the dining room. Sometimes we have to do this more than once because of the various dining venues - i.e.; on the Sapphire there are numerous Anytime Dining locations. However, we also read all the details of the menu before ordering and we carry epi-pens at all times. That is OUR responsibility to be cautious and prepared.

My daughter has an allergy to shellfish (which is not uncommon) and one time, she ordered a soup that didn't look as though there was anything other than meat and veggies in it. The waiter, who knew of her allergy, said, "No. They put tiny pieces of shrimp in there." If you have an allergy or medical condition, I think it helps to have Traditional dining where you don't have to explain every night what you are allergic to.

I am very VIOLENTLY allergic to Green peppers ...WIERD right??Well if you saw how sick I get if they are in my food cooked in it or where they cooked some without washing the pan ....etc ..you would understand .On most ships I am given the menu the night before so the chefs can prepare my meals without them .You would be AMAZed how many dishes have peppers as garnish or to add colour Sometimes mistakes happen ...I do check all foods ...I had tablemates who called me fussy and needed my son to explain to them I was not being picky I really do get sick and very quickly at that ....40 minutes top .I have even fainted with the discomfort ...not pleasant.....

I agree allergies are a priority ....diet choices should be more flexible. I also believe if you are that strict in your requirements a resort that caters to Vegan would be a better choice then a cruiseline with 3000 pax

Perhaps cruising is not for you

Recently we went as a family to a Community dinner ...loads of peppers EVERYWHERE ...I just did not eat .I have also decided not to EVer go to another again ..it is just TOO difficult and people around me feel guikty I cannot eat anything ...It was Ok ..I had fruit at the end

I'm sorry the OP was disappointed and they weren't satisfied with the onboard response. Allergies aside, when one opts for a severely limited diet, they should expect to be a bit flexible when choosing a mass market vacation.

There is a big difference between a diet by choice and one due to a medical condition/allergy. The latter can alert the ship ahead of their dietary requirements so the ship can prepare dishes accordingly. A purely voluntary diet does not have the same immediacy or priority. Should there be an option on the pre-cruise Special Requests for a vegan or vegetarian diet? That's another whole thread but in the little I know about these voluntary diets, there are as many variables about what they will or won't eat as there are vegans/vegetarians, making it very difficult for a cruiseline to prepare and respond. After all, such a diet is voluntary, not critical for ones health or well-being.

I know the OP has had better success with another cruiseline. Sounds like that's a better "fit" for them.

A good friend of mine is seriously allergic to poultry, in any way, shape or form. Even touching a surface where chicken has been has caused a reaction. Her daughter is almost as bad, but not quite. They have both managed to get through their lives and are still going strong. You learn pretty quickly how to get around.

That being said, it could be disasterous for my friend if something was made with chicken stock or eggs or anything fowl related, so she would need honest answers. BUT, if the OP is that concerned (& p*ssed off), she needs to treat it as an allergy and avoid anything that could be tainted. If there is a question in my friends mind, the answer is simple - NO. 'Maybe' doesn't cut it. I've never seen her ask more than the rare question or two while eating out, and has never made anyone uncomfortable doing so. It's not about her lifestyle, it's about her life.

I think you should not cruise. Assuming that EVERYONE is less IMPORTANT than you and should cater to your every whim is very narcissistic. There are people with real allergies that take up less of the busy wait staffs time. I hope never to cruise with you.

I have been on cruises where the head waiter discussed the following days menus with the passenger who had special diets, usually at the end of the meal

And when this has happened at our table, everyone who did not need the special meal planning was happy to see a preview of the next day's menus.

My daughter has an allergy to shellfish (which is not uncommon) and one time, she ordered a soup that didn't look as though there was anything other than meat and veggies in it. The waiter, who knew of her allergy, said, "No. They put tiny pieces of shrimp in there." If you have an allergy or medical condition, I think it helps to have Traditional dining where you don't have to explain every night what you are allergic to.

I also have a bad shellfish allergy. My TA tells the cruise line about this before we go. They give me the next days menu at night and I check off what i want. Next day i have my food.

Only once this didn't work. I was on X. The food got mixed up some how. I was eating and took a couple of bits and there was a shrimp. They got me to the Dr real fast. After I was fine. I did not know that I was eating shrimp those first bite because I could not remember what they taste like and I did not see them until about the third bite. It was 30 years since I one.

Maria

I am very VIOLENTLY allergic to Green peppers ...WIERD right??Well if you saw how sick I get if they are in my food cooked in it or where they cooked some without washing the pan ....etc ..you would understand .On most ships I am given the menu the night before so the chefs can prepare my meals without them .You would be AMAZed how many dishes have peppers as garnish or to add colour Sometimes mistakes happen ...I do check all foods ...I had tablemates who called me fussy and needed my son to explain to them I was not being picky I really do get sick and very quickly at that ....40 minutes top .I have even fainted with the discomfort ...not pleasant.....

I agree allergies are a priority ....diet choices should be more flexible. I also believe if you are that strict in your requirements a resort that caters to Vegan would be a better choice then a cruiseline with 3000 pax

Perhaps cruising is not for you

Recently we went as a family to a Community dinner ...loads of peppers EVERYWHERE ...I just did not eat .I have also decided not to EVer go to another again ..it is just TOO difficult and people around me feel guikty I cannot eat anything ...It was Ok ..I had fruit at the end

Geeze, and I thought that I was the only person allergic to those $#*m peppers! All peppers- green, yellow, jalepeno, hot, warm & cold varieties!

The oils in peppers seem to permeate whatever dish they are put in.

I could never understand how people put a food in their mouth that they must wear gloves to prepare! LOL

But it is not that much trouble to deal with this allergy, just avoid Mexican & other ethnic dishes than might have those little devils as an ingredient. No need to bother your table mates with a long & boring rap of what you can't eat. Just tell the waiter "no peppers" in any suspect dish.

Sorry to say this, and I am a diabetic so I know what it is like to have dietary issues (but I don't make a big deal out of mine, I know what I can/can't have and eat accordingly) but after one night of sitting at your table, I too would have requested to move.

Perhaps bringing your own personal chef onboard would have solved your problem.

I do have a question and please forgive me if this sounds a bit idiotic but does the cruise line even make all these items fresh?

What I mean is there are dozens of resturaunts on land that order their pasta and ice cream off a truck and don't make them fresh...

Is it possible the cruise line doesn't make these fresh and basically the items are made with whatever the factory put in them?

As for having preferences/allergies.... yes the cruise line has an obligation to help you avoid these items.

However, you have a responsibility to work with them in a polite and gracious manner. 1) be polite, please and thank you work wonders. 2) If the wait staff attempts to get you an answer but can't seem to get a definite answer, thank them for the attempt and assume that the food item does containt whatever ingredient you're avoiding. 3) do NOT demand that they try again and again to get definitive answer if they can't. 4) If you choose an item and it accidentally contain whatever ingredient, do not yell, cry, gripe, about it...they tried. In the midst of serving thousands of people they took time out of their way to help you out as best they can. If you need medical attention let them know immediately, if it s a personal preference set the item to the side and politely wait for your next course, if you need something else let the wait staff know in a pleasant tone of voice. a simple, "I'm sorry, I don't care for this, can I get the XXXXX instead." Saying it politely and with a smile will win you far more help than yelling and demanding.

And finally, if maintaining your choosen diet is of the utmost highest priority then you need to choose a different vacation where you can prepare your own food. If your food allergies are so severe that it could potentially threaten your life than again, you need to be in a situation where you can prepare your own food....thats just common sense.

Myself and others gave this cruiser detailed ways to deal with her dining issues before the cruise and recommended that a Vegan diet would be more suitable and easier to maintain. She was unwilling to spend the time with the maitre'd and head waiter because she had spent time trying to get the information before the cruise without success. I deduce from this thread that she spent her time making her culinary experience as difficult as possible.

I traveled with a Vegan who was prepared to eat only her trail mix if necessary and she had some of the most amazing meals she has ever eaten.

Two comments to above posts: one is that if you've ever taken a tour of the kitchen, you will see that there are separate prep tables for chicken, beef, etc. so there shouldn't be any crossover.

My second comment is that Princess makes it's own pasta; it's not brought in by the truckload. They should be able to prepare egg-free pasta; BUT, they need time (at least a day) to prepare the pasta. It also needs to be cooked separately. This is something that needs to be arranged privately and calmly with the Maitre d' well in advance. It can be done; you just can't be confrontational about it at the last minute because it needs special set-up, prep and cooking time. The kitchen is like a well-oiled machine and works efficiently. If you throw a monkey wrench in there, it disrupts things for everyone in the kitchen and dining room.

Myself and others gave this cruiser detailed ways to deal with her dining issues before the cruise and recommended that a Vegan diet would be more suitable and easier to maintain. She was unwilling to spend the time with the maitre'd and head waiter because she had spent time trying to get the information before the cruise without success. I deduce from this thread that she spent her time making her culinary experience as difficult as possible.

I traveled with a Vegan who was prepared to eat only her trail mix if necessary and she had some of the most amazing meals she has ever eaten.

Thank you for shedding some light on this issue. I think we all figured out that this is what happened.:o

I guess you were not at her table.......:D

As for having preferences/allergies.... yes the cruise line has an obligation to help you avoid these items.

However, you have a responsibility to work with them in a polite and gracious manner. 1) be polite, please and thank you work wonders. 2) If the wait staff attempts to get you an answer but can't seem to get a definite answer, thank them for the attempt and assume that the food item does containt whatever ingredient you're avoiding. 3) do NOT demand that they try again and again to get definitive answer if they can't. 4) If you choose an item and it accidentally contain whatever ingredient, do not yell, cry, gripe, about it...they tried. In the midst of serving thousands of people they took time out of their way to help you out as best they can. If you need medical attention let them know immediately, if it s a personal preference set the item to the side and politely wait for your next course, if you need something else let the wait staff know in a pleasant tone of voice. a simple, "I'm sorry, I don't care for this, can I get the XXXXX instead." Saying it politely and with a smile will win you far more help than yelling and demanding.

And finally, if maintaining your choosen diet is of the utmost highest priority then you need to choose a different vacation where you can prepare your own food. If your food allergies are so severe that it could potentially threaten your life than again, you need to be in a situation where you can prepare your own food....thats just common sense.

Well said...

I am thinking that the OP thinks that there is only one cook on board and that poor chef makes all pasta, ice creams, salads, entree's, soups, appetizers, and desserts for all 4500 passengers and crew.....

How many cooks really have there hand in making the hundreds of varieties of food on the ship?

I do have a question and please forgive me if this sounds a bit idiotic but does the cruise line even make all these items fresh?

What I mean is there are dozens of resturaunts on land that order their pasta and ice cream off a truck and don't make them fresh...

Is it possible the cruise line doesn't make these fresh and basically the items are made with whatever the factory put in them?

Couldn't have said it any better.....:):):)

Bob

It sounds like she wanted to work out all of her diet issues before she ever stepped foot on the ship, and when that didn't happen (none of the cruise lines will do this!),

she decided to make it uncomfortable for the dining crew and her tablemates by making a fuss at each meal. It would have been less stressful for everyone (not to mention polite!) if she would have done as requested: talked to the special needs department to inform them, then each evening with the maitre'D or chef about the next day's menu, indicating what she'd like/not like, and the chef telling her what the ingredients are, and whether the dish could be adapted to suit her.

Instead, she expected them..in the rush of serving everyone else's dinner..to know what is in each dish (from the waiter whose job is to merely grab a plate full of food and set it down in front of a passenger to the head chef); or to stop what they were doing, come to her table, discuss at length was is/isn't in a dish, make up a dish specially for her "on the spot" (without that advanced warning), and do all of this without inconveniencing her or those around her. Ain't gonna happen.

Definitely she needs to either stay away from mass-market dining venues, or bring her own chef. Or actually follow the suggestions offered by the cruise line to deal with dietary issues!!

The kitchen is like a well-oiled machine and works efficiently. If you throw a monkey wrench in there, it disrupts things for everyone in the kitchen and dining room.

When we went on the ultimate ship tour on Emerald,

in the Galley, they told us that they prepare about

100 special meals every evening.

So, I think the key is to request what you want the night

before; not wait until you get to the dining room and then

throw a tantrum.

...unless you're trying to entertain the other guests!

I think you should not cruise. Assuming that EVERYONE is less IMPORTANT than you and should cater to your every whim is very narcissistic. There are people with real allergies that take up less of the busy wait staffs time. I hope never to cruise with you.

Yes,, and the point is,, your food CHOICES really are not as important as others allergies.. and the waiters are BUSY trying to serve hundreds of meals,, and help those with REAL issues( allergies) so those who CHOOSE to eat differently really do come last on the priority list in my opinion. I do find it amazing that OP didn't seem to realize to just avoid noodles and ice cream if avoiding eggs,, it only makes sense.

I'm guessing you are vegan?? If you don't eat any egg or dairy, I would think it would be hard to eat things like pasta and ice cream on many major cruise lines and most restaurants as well. I just don't think mainstream-type dining is vegan-friendly in general, is it? I assume you're accustomed to being disappointed dining out, but weren't there other items you could eat either in the buffet or MDR? If people are requesting not to be seated with you, then I'd be concerned about how you are coming across with your tableside queries.

No I am not vegan....I eat not beef, poultry, seafood or eggs.

Some are just not getting it. I TRIED to divert any added attention to my dietary choices ahead of time by contacting Princess....but to no avail did I receive the correct info. Onboard they did not have the correct info at first. My point here is that there should be definite answers as to how food is prepared and made.

It was just one incident with a pair of men whom we saw not wanting to sit near us. I was put in the position of having to ask questions tableside as they were not answered ahead of time like I wanted.

Sorry you had a bad experience. But on the upside judging by the photos you posted on your roll call page your hubby seems to be enjoying his meals. So I guess at least one of you ate well. :)

Oh yes....hubby always eats VERY well. He says has to eat all the things that I dont. He gained almost 10 pounds on the 10 day cruise.....lol.

Archived