Ruby Princess Venice-Ft. Lauderdale & US State Dept. Alert re: European Travel

cruzer225

We are supposed to fly from Atlanta to Amsterdam and then to Venice. We will make ports in Italy, France, Spain, and Portugal before a number of days takes us to Ft. Lauderdale to disembark.

Should we be concerned about this State Dept. Alert? I realize that it is not a Warning. How does Princess or other cruise lines handle these kind of situations?

We leave on Oct. 7th and sail from Venice on the 9th.

A bit nervous at this juncture since we have a few organized shore excursions and then some we planned to do on our own, e.g., Barcelona.

Thanks.

Steve

Elite Princess

41st cruise and counting

Unfortuately, terrorist attacks can occur anywhere in the world, from Times Square in NYC to Oklahoma City to Europe to just about anywhere else.

The state department warning is based on some recent plots that were stopped long before they came to fruition. However, the possibility does exist that anything can happen anywhere at anytime.

Princess will not bring you to any port that has a real safety issue at the time you would be there.

However a warning by the State Department to be vigilant is unlikely to cause a change on an itinerary,

Don 't let the terrorists win. Go ahead with your holiday. I am sure Princess will be extra-vigilant and so should you be. We are off on Wednesday on Ocean Princess round the Med and we will not let any terrorist threats spoil our holiday.
Well said. I couldn't agree more. :)

i read that this morning too and i agree with the above posters. princess will not endanger anyone unnecessarily. however, only you can make that decision for yourself. if it would spoil your enjoyment of your trip, then use your insurance and wait for another time.

we are also on the October 8th cruise, no use in worrying about something that we have no control over.

when we were in Paris a few years ago there was a Travel Warning, extra security all over Paris, it did not affect our trip, just made us a bit more aware of our surroundings.

Now going to the airport for our flight, that is scary!!!

hope to meet you on the Ruby!

Jo.

i read that this morning too and i agree with the above posters. princess will not endanger anyone unnecessarily. however, only you can make that decision for yourself. if it would spoil your enjoyment of your trip, then use your insurance and wait for another time.

Unless you have cancel for any reason, the insurance usually doesn't cover acts/threats of terrorism.

I was in London a few years ago,, they had just had some subway bombings, and were threanted with more. I could have cared less,, so many nervous nelly friends couldn't beleive I still was going.

I went, I had fun, and I would do it again in a heartbeat.

Staying home is no guarantee of safety,, look at things that have happend here!!

While I wouldn't go into an active war-zone. We cruised in Dec 2001 and enjoyed ourselved. We aren't going to let the "threat of someone doing something" ruin our vacation - Mother Nature, on the other hand is a different story:D... Enjoy yourselves but just be aware of where you are and if it doesn't feel right - don't go there.

S

While I wouldn't go into an active war-zone. We cruised in Dec 2001 and enjoyed ourselved. We aren't going to let the "threat of someone doing something" ruin our vacation - Mother Nature, on the other hand is a different story:D... Enjoy yourselves but just be aware of where you are and if it doesn't feel right - don't go there.

S

We will also be on this cruise. On the Baha Deck. We are going to return to Venice for the second time. Hope to meet you there.

Dotty

We are supposed to fly from Atlanta to Amsterdam and then to Venice. We will make ports in Italy, France, Spain, and Portugal before a number of days takes us to Ft. Lauderdale to disembark.

Should we be concerned about this State Dept. Alert? I realize that it is not a Warning. How does Princess or other cruise lines handle these kind of situations?

We leave on Oct. 7th and sail from Venice on the 9th.

A bit nervous at this juncture since we have a few organized shore excursions and then some we planned to do on our own, e.g., Barcelona.

Thanks.

Steve

Elite Princess

41st cruise and counting

My advise, don't change your plans.

Hi There,

If you see us Europeans leaving by the boat to load to other parts of the world then I would worry, as we have no plans to there is no need to worry,

I still plan to fly to the states next year, which some might consider high risk, I do not.

The sad fact is that at some point some place in the world there will be an attack, all we can hope for is that those who put there lives at risk to protect us can stop it

yours shogun

Living where I do, I always tell people to do what makes them most comfortable; I would never tell or expect someone to go into an area just to prove that terrorists can't win.

Having said that- at this moment, I wouldn't hesitate to travel to Europe. However, I would be on alert, and would move away from any place or situation that made me feel on edge. And, I would follow the advice I give below:

I recommend you always have ID on you, as well as a contact phone number of at least one person you would want to be called if you are hurt or injured. And, if you are on any specific medications, or have significant allergies, have them in an easy to find list (if you don't already have a MedicAlert bracelet or necklace).

(Of course, those are things you should always have with you, every day, every place, even when close to home.)

As an extra precaution- at least a copy of your passport, and one credit card, along with some cash. Also, have 2 days worth of your meds with you, whenever you are off the ship. It is best if you carry all the above (along with your ID, etc) in a secured wallet around your neck.

*Apologies for any morbid overtones...*

One guarantee- your ship will not stop in any port that would put passengers in danger. The primary focus will always be the safety of the passengers.

Now- go and enjoy your cruise! :)

Thanks to all who wrote a reply on this thread. I was "testing the waters" and am glad that none of you will be intimidated by terrorists. Frankly, I feel the same. When we are "called home," we have no real choice. My Faith sustains me.

Additionally, to those on Baja deck, I do hope to meet up with you. I will place a sign on the cabin door with "Cruise Critic Member" so that we should be able to meet and say hi.

Gotta get those last minute things done. The excitement of being at sea once again is but a few days away.

Steve and Chris

Baja B259

Great comments from all of you.

I wish we were on the Ruby, but instead will be on the Coral. Please be sure and go hear Jim Kennedy, who use to be the Head of Kennedy Space Center. He has a very interesting program and he is very personable. We heard him when we left Ft. Lauderdale to go across in May.

Have a great trip. We're off in two days to the Panama Canal

Connie:)

Don 't let the terrorists win. Go ahead with your holiday. I am sure Princess will be extra-vigilant and so should you be. We are off on Wednesday on Ocean Princess round the Med and we will not let any terrorist threats spoil our holiday.

I totally agree!! That is what the terrorists want. They wish to instill fear and disrupt Europe's economy.

Archived