San Diego help needed....

kathy_bc

We are going on a cruise Dec 11 out of San Diego. We have not been there before. Looking for hotels very close to the port (what is that area called???). I understand Holiday Inn is right across from the ship, but some others have said it's quite seedy? What are some other hotels close to there? I've tried looking on Priceline, and such, but I'm not sure of the area name. I would like something nice around $150 mark.

I think we'll keep fairly close to the hotel, but I've heard the old town district is nice to walk (is that the gaslamp area?). What is the horton plaza? Is that an old area?

many thanks!

If you look down this board, there are many references.

The Holiday Inn is right across the street, and there isn't any real problem with the area. I have stayed several times at the Embassy Suites, 6-8 blocks away, and is a pretty nice place, with a shopping/dining area a little further south.

Others will chip in with the couple of other hotels in the immediate area.

We are going on a cruise Dec 11 out of San Diego. We have not been there before. Looking for hotels very close to the port (what is that area called???). I understand Holiday Inn is right across from the ship, but some others have said it's quite seedy? What are some other hotels close to there? I've tried looking on Priceline, and such, but I'm not sure of the area name. I would like something nice around $150 mark.

I think we'll keep fairly close to the hotel, but I've heard the old town district is nice to walk (is that the gaslamp area?). What is the horton plaza? Is that an old area?

many thanks!

There is the Best Western - which offers free airport shuttle, free breakfast and free transport to Cruise Ship, less than 150.00 looks like a fairly nice hotel. There also is a sight seeing trolley that will take you to all the area's - you get on and off where ever you want and next shuttle will pick up up approximately 30-35 per person. Julie G.

The area where the port is located is called"downtown".

The downtown area of San Diego has some hotels along the bayfront and some hotels in away from the water.

It is only about 2miles from the airport so quite convenient.

The "gaslamp" is one of the small areas of downtown away from the bay. It has lots of restaurants and bars/clubs.

Horton Plaza is a shopping mall.

Old Town is another area entirely which is close to Old Town State Park.

I'd use Google for a map to see some of these areas or I'd go to a book store and read a bit about the city there.

many thanks!

One question we should ask is how long you are staying in San Diego? ...and what will you depend on for transportation?

I will assume from the tone of the questions that you will be there only a short time--maybe one night--and will depend on taxis/shuttles/public transportation/walking--and that you will not be doing a lot of tourist activity/sightseeing (Zoo/Sea World/Wild Animal Park/etc.)...

Okay, first note that San Diego, in general, covers a fairly large area...but that most of what you likely care about is in a very compact area...The Airport is extremely close to the Cruise Terminal which is extremely close to Downtown...

Horton Plaza is right next to the Gaslamp District and both are right on the south side of Downtown and only blocks from the pier...

[i have been to San Diego numerous times but generally don't stay in too many hotels (I used to have a beach house at La Jolla Shores and I have a brother in Rancho Santa Fe so I often just stay in his guest house...but still, I have stayed in hotels dozens of times, but usually it is for a specific purpose...for example, last time I used a hotel there, it was the "W" (with a nice view of the docks)...chosen to be around the corner from a party I was attending...I have also stayed in the Gaslamp at the US Grant, for example, just to have a nice weekend and be in walking proximity to shops and restaurants...or have stayed up in La Jolla (post-beach house) or at the Rancho Valencia in Rancho Santa Fe (when someone else was using the guest house)...I have also stayed at various hotels in the Hotel Circle area in order to be close to Qualcomm Stadium for Football games or for business trips as my company has a facility in that area]...

Any of these areas are great to stay in for specific reasons...but, my guess is that if you only care about airport/pier and a little wandering on foot, then you should stay somewhere near Downtown...

Personally, I do not see the great attraction to being right across the street from the pier...there are nicer hotels and nicer areas a few blocks away...and it's a cheap cab ride from any of them...

My first instinct is to stay IN the Gaslamp/Horton Plaza area...lots of shops and trendy restaurants close by...Horton Plaza is a shopping mall...but one with award-winning architecture...I've stayed at the Westin and at the US Grant and would recommend either--but they may be a bit pricey for your budget...but there are several other hotels in this area as well...

Just South of the Gaslamp is Petco Park, the San Diego Padres' stadium...and there are a few nice hotels adjacent to that--the Omni, the Marriott Gaslamp and a couple of others...

South west of there, on the waterfront and near the Convention Center and Seaport Village are a few others--another Marriott, an Embassy Suites, Manchester Grand Hyatt...

I would stay anywhere in this area...Know that it's a short taxi ride from the Airport to ANY of these hotels...and a short taxi ride from hotel to ship...You will find restaurants near your hotel whether in the Gaslamp or at Seaport Village...

ENJOY...

Gaslamp is nice but $$.

I've stayed at the Hampton Inn close to the pier a few times. Nicer than the Holiday Inn, free Hampton-style breakfast. Request a room overlooking the pool to avoid being too close to the railroad tracks. Some commuter trains come through in the early morning.

Thank you for all the replies. Yes, we will be there just overnight. It's going to be strange to be in a place that is so close! In L.A., it's so spread out, and costs lots of $$ for the taxis. So it will be nice to have it all close. I just wasn't sure of the areas, what was nice or safe to walk around. Gaslamp looks good, I will start checking there. It's hard to tell on a map sometimes, if you've never been there. Something that sounds close, actually costs an arm & leg just for the taxi. So it's great to hear everything is compact down there. I have requested info from the San Diego tourist office, so I can see a map, and such.

Am getting excited! I hear San Diego is a great place!

Something in the Seaport Village/Petco/Gaslamp area would be nice as it is close to restaurants and shops. However, $150 is probably not doable in those areas. You may want to check something in the Hotel Circle area that has a free shuttle to the airport and confirm they will drop you at the port as well. If not, you can take the free hotel shuttle back to the airport and take a cab from there. The port is very close to the airport.

We have stayed at the Hampton Inn on G r e e n w o o d with a car. Nothing in the direct area to see but the hotel itself was nice and free breakfast and internet.

We have also stayed at the Holiday Inn Bayside (different from the one mentioned here a lot). It is close to the airport and they did have a shuttle to the airport and cruise terminal (call to confirm still true). It would be easy to take a cab to Seaport Village if you would like.

Both of those hotels should be under $150.

We have stayed at others but the price will be over $150 and they are farther away.

Jen in SoCal

many thanks!

We are staying at the Westin Gaslamp which is in the Gaslamp area (obviously ;)) and we got it for $100/night through Priceline so don't let anyone tell you it's out of your price range. In this day and age you can find deals everywhere! :)

The Holiday Inn across the street is not seedy. It is very nice, it has been totally redone and updated. I toured it in May along with alot of other San Diego hotels. I would not hesitate to stay there. Any Holiday Inn that has the new H logo in the square green box, has been updated.

I checked out a bunch of hotels, and a lot of them were sold out. So then I tried to book the Holiday Inn, but their website booking wouldn't work for me. So I was trying priceline (4 star, downtown & harbour section). I got a hit at $106. So we are staying at the Sheraton San Diego Hotel & Marina. Looks very close to the airport, so I can't imagine a cab to the port to be very much. :) 2 months away and counting! :)

Does anyone know if there are stores near the Sheraton where I can buy water/pop???

thanks!

I checked out a bunch of hotels, and a lot of them were sold out. So then I tried to book the Holiday Inn, but their website booking wouldn't work for me. So I was trying priceline (4 star, downtown & harbour section). I got a hit at $106. So we are staying at the Sheraton San Diego Hotel & Marina. Looks very close to the airport, so I can't imagine a cab to the port to be very much. :) 2 months away and counting! :)

Does anyone know if there are stores near the Sheraton where I can buy water/pop???

thanks!

I think this is where one loses a bit using Priceline for San Diego...

They have their map drawn to lump in Harbor Island with Downtown.

I was at this Sheraton back in 1975...for the NCAA Final Four...UCLA used it for its group bookings and the Alumni Association party...

The hotel is nice enough...but I am not thrilled with the location...

Harbor Island is a rather isolated strip of land on the "other" side of the airport...it has a nice yacht marina, a few hotels...and nothing else...

You will need to take taxis into town...

Of course, if you are flying in and just staying one night, it's workable...I believe they have a free shuttle from the airport...but, to go into town, say for dinner or to wander the Gaslamp or go to any of the attractions--or to any shopping, you will need transportation...and, the next morning to get to the pier, you will need another taxi...

Of course, if you just want to lounge around at the hotel and eat at the hotel, it's nice enough...

But, personally, I wouldn't be thrilled with that result...

And to anyone thinking of using Priceline in San Diego, I would be wary...

Maybe better to pay a few dollars more and stay in a location more condusive to tourism...

Sorry to be such a downer...but, you'll probably do just fine...there's nothing particularly wrong with the hotel other than location...and cabs aren't all that expensive...

There are no shops on Harbor Island where the Sheraton is located. It is a short taxi to the pier and into downtown.

You can also take the free shuttle to the airport(across the road) and then take a city bus into downtown. The bus stops at all the terminals.

There is a nice restaurant on Harbor Island called Island Prime.

It has great bay views a nice menu and a nice bar area for hanging out.

thanks!

You will want to head towards Rosecrans St and you will find convenience stores along there. If you head towards downtown you won't find as much (although there is some downtown. Rite Aid/7-Eleven/Ralphs [grocery store])...I would imagine that you can find things cheaper towards Rosecrans. However, if you are going out for dinner towards Gaslamp area, you can pop into the Ralphs (101 G St) and get what you need to save you a second trip.

Bruin Steve is right about needing the transportation to get around...but he is being a bit too down on the hotel and area. My wife and I will go to Harbor Island for the views of downtown...absolutely stunning with downtown reflecting off of the water. Not a "happening place" but a very "romantic place". We love to go here (Harbor Island). I have been to a company Christmas party at the Sheraton and although I didn't see any rooms, I was impressed with the hotel.

We stayed at the Holiday Inn on the Bay last January and are staying there again this January brefore our cruise. The rooms were quite large and the balcony overlooking the cruise pier was great. We were just a few blocks from a drugstore to pick up soda, etc. We are flying in early and booking Old Town Trolley so we can explore a bit.

If you don't care about a specific hotel or location then you can try booking with Priceline. If you want to be sure to get a certain hotel that is close to certain things, $150 will not be enough in the areas usually asked about for San Diego. Downtown San Diego is often quite pricey.

Jen in SoCal

We are staying at the Westin Gaslamp which is in the Gaslamp area (obviously ;)) and we got it for $100/night through Priceline so don't let anyone tell you it's out of your price range. In this day and age you can find deals everywhere! :)

I have stayed at that Sheraton and it was fine but I don't recall much in the walkable area. You can take a cab to a convenience/grocery store if you need something or if you want to have dinner in a different area. If you go to dinner somewhere you can walk to the convenience/grocery store and take a cab back from there. Or, if you take a cab from the hotel to the port, ask them to make a quick stop while you run in to the store. If the hotel has a free airport shuttle they may have a free shuttle to the port, ask.

Jen in SoCal

thanks!

Here's a photo taken from HAL Oosterdam docked in San Diego. Holiday Inn is the building straight in front of the bow. FYI, the building to the right with the 2 white bell towers is the Amtrak depot (note the "Santa Fe" sign on the roof). The blue and white high-rise with the pointed roof behind the depot is where the Trolley station is located, in the street level right next to Amtrak. Hope this puts things in perspective.

401555672_SanDiego.jpg.3811efeb349e1536c7f7683dac2e47be.jpg

• 2 months later...
If you don't care about a specific hotel or location then you can try booking with Priceline. If you want to be sure to get a certain hotel that is close to certain things, $150 will not be enough in the areas usually asked about for San Diego. Downtown San Diego is often quite pricey.

Jen in SoCal

If you use Hotwire you can request The Gaslamp area and be assured that you will be downtown. I got the Andaz for 99 a night. After reading about it I'm not sure I want it as it seems to be the party place into all hours of the night. It was the most expensive place Hotwire offered in that area. Perhaps I should have gone for the 4 star instead of the 4.5.

The point being is that you can get in the Downtown area easily in the $150 and below range. With the taxes it was 119.

If you use Hotwire you can request The Gaslamp area and be assured that you will be downtown. I got the Andaz for 99 a night. After reading about it I'm not sure I want it as it seems to be the party place into all hours of the night. It was the most expensive place Hotwire offered in that area. Perhaps I should have gone for the 4 star instead of the 4.5.

The point being is that you can get in the Downtown area easily in the $150 and below range. With the taxes it was 119.

I got the same hotel on Priceline like you hope the music does not keep us awake, closer to the date I will call them to see if they will find a us a room away from the music. Christine

OK, Priceline OR Hotwire can be used if you don't care what hotel you get. If you care, $150 is usually not going to be enough during prime times.

Jen in SoCal

I got the same hotel on Priceline like you hope the music does not keep us awake, closer to the date I will call them to see if they will find a us a room away from the music. Christine

Other than that I like what I see. The one other time I've been in San Diego I thought it was fantastic and we are truly looking forward to being back. Definitely looking forward to breakfast at Cafe 222 again.

Other than that I like what I see. The one other time I've been in San Diego I thought it was fantastic and we are truly looking forward to being back. Definitely looking forward to breakfast at Cafe 222 again.

Where is the Cafe 222 is it close to the hotel. By the way what cruise are you going on we are doing the Hawaii Tahiti on Westerdam September 29th 2011. Christine

Where is the Cafe 222 is it close to the hotel. By the way what cruise are you going on we are doing the Hawaii Tahiti on Westerdam September 29th 2011. Christine

Splinter gave you the information on Cafe 222. Although it's a tourist place I thought the waffle was fantastic. It's very busy and odds are you'll have to wait to get a table, go early.

The hotel she is referring to is The Andaz and it's in the Gaslamp area. Unless you are mobility challenged most of the downtown is walking distance. That's just one of the things that's great about being in San Diego. The last time we were there we stayed at the Emerald place(Embassy Suites??) and everything was accessible by feet.

The cruise we are going on is the Panama Canal on Celebrity Infinity leaving Oct 28th 2011.

Archived