Food Issue

What A Market

Hello Oceania Experts

Today I need your input as to whether Oceania is able to accommodate people with Celiac Disease. (Unfortunately my significant other was diagnosed with Celiac last month.) Celiac Disease requires a fully gluten free diet. As this is not a dietary choice, but rather a medical condition, the need to know what you are putting in your mouth is critical.

We are booked on the Marina for July 2011. Our TA contacted Oceania and they indicated they could provide gluten free options. I'd like to know if any of the seasoned (or not so seasoned) travelers with Oceania have actually experienced Oceania's ability to meet the needs of someone with Celiac Disease.

Any input on this matter from travelers on other cruise lines would be appreciated as well.

Thanks in advance for your respones.

Tom

I don't know who your TA spoke with at Oceania but many times it's just a reservations agent who really isn't that well informed. since this is a matter of great importance I would either have your TA contact head of guest services or perhaps do so yourself or both. You want to be sure you get completely accurate information.

You or your TA should contact Special Services at Oceania

I would do it now so they have the proper food aboard.

I think it is 60 prior to sailing

As per website

Special arrangements can be made if you require Diabetic, Gluten-free, Lactose-free, Kosher, Vegetarian and Vegan. Other diets must be requested for approval and, in some cases, may require additional medical documentation.

Then follow up with them once you are onboard

There was a person on our Med cruise that we went on a tour with that mentioned that they,(waiter, maitre d, chef) were very responsive to her requests for gluten free food. Always best to check with the proper people though.

On an Oceania cruise, one night we sat with a woman who had celiac diusease. She said that Oceania was very accommodating. She brought gluten free cookies on board, and they served them to her every evening, regardless of where she was sitting. She met with the chef every night to select/discuss/plan the next day's meals.

We recently sailed with a family member who has Celiac disease and Oceania handled their dietary needs brilliantly. Actually, better than Disney which makes a feature of their gluten-free food preparation techniques.

In our case, we notified Oceania of the dietary restriction when we booked the cabin. and this was our experience:

Each morning, we received a printed menu of choices in the Grand Dining Room which were Gluten free.

Depending on the variety of those choices, additional options were listed along the lines of "if you ask that this be grilled" or "served without the gravy".

Virtually all of the food in the Specialty Restaurants is cooked to order, so those requests were handled when we ordered the food.

Oceania will also place a "reminder" on your cabin, so that any time that you place an order with Room Service, the chef will know that you are guided by a dietary restriction.

Archived