Best Large Cruise Line 2010 rated by CN Traveler--Regent

WesW

Interesting. . . . especially since Regent can hardly be classified as a "large cruise line":confused:

Agree that this seems strange, especially since the Voyager/Mariner/Navigator could be carried as tenders on the mega-ships! Just you and 5000 of your new best friends!

Perhaps they are using the McDonald's scale where "large" is the smallest size.

The Voyager and Mariner are the same size as the Crystal Symphony and Crystal has always won this award for whatever it's worth.

You're right, however, it has always seemed strange. Actually, Regent won one year by 1/10 of a point. I gave up my CN subscription -- don't recall if this competition is broken out by luxury lines or just by size. I seem to remember it was by size. This would put Regent and Crystal in competition with the Oasis (side by side they would look like Mutt & Jeff):)

For 17 years out of 20 Crystal has been number one since their existence. Those numbers speak for themselves.

Not sure what language the numbers speak. It would be nice, however, to at least congratulate Regent since you are on the Regent board.

No doubt that both Regent and Crystal are excellent cruise lines and deserve to be at the top of the list. The cruise part of these awards are more reliable than the hotel part since there are so few cruiser lines compared to hotels. The hotel awards are useless imo.

No doubt that both Regent and Crystal are excellent cruise lines and deserve to be at the top of the list. The cruise part of these awards are more reliable than the hotel part since there are so few cruiser lines compared to hotels. The hotel awards are useless imo.

I feel that all of the luxury cruise lines are excellent. If Silversea and Seabourn had slightly larger ships, they may have tied as well. Does anyone remember who won in the small ship category?

We have been sailing on Crystal Cruise Lines ships since 1994"ish". It is truelly luxurious. Comparing RSSC and Crystal basically comparing apples to apples....Both have their pros and cons.

One significant difference is in the single suppliment.... Crystals' is 125% compared to 150-200% for Regent which fortunatlly doesn't apply to us.....YET!

We are now at the cruising stage where having been around the world twice (segment by segment) we now choose our cruises by their itinereries.

We like both lines and wouldn't knock either one as we sail on both.

One significant difference is in the single suppliment.... Crystals' is 125% compared to 150-200% for Regent which fortunatlly doesn't apply to us.....YET!

I wouldn't have thought that the supplement charged for single cruisers bears any relation to whether a line is more or less luxurious?

LindaVH

Crystal's announcement of their win is found in post #1 of this thread

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1292085

Regent's announcment is found at this link:

http://www.rssc.com/regentexclusives/mediacenter/details.aspx?newsid=077fe121-f238-4f25-a748-c117bf2c9f3b

Altho I severely do not appreciate Regent's absolutely lack of candor on the status of the Voyager (like Tom mentions above) I do appreciate the Regent announcment in para one points out they tied with Crystal. Crystal's announcment does not mention they tied with Regent.

My post was not to suggest that Regent was incorrect or that Crystal was incorrect - just an observation from the Crystal board. Our last cruise was on Crystal (we've done QMII, RCL, Celeb, HAL) and I'm looking at Regent which was why I was on this board. Linda

My post was not to suggest that Regent was incorrect or that Crystal was incorrect - just an observation from the Crystal board. Our last cruise was on Crystal (we've done QMII, RCL, Celeb, HAL) and I'm looking at Regent which was why I was on this board. Linda
\\

Linda, welcome to the Regent board. I'm sure your Crystal cruise was good and it's great that you're looking into Regent. It is quite an honor for Regent and Crystal to be named #1 large cruise ship line (even if Regent's ships are technically not "large":confused:

\\

(even if Regent's ships are technically not "large":confused:

I agree. Two of Regent's and one of Crystal's are the same size. The other Crystal is in the size category with RCI/Holland/Celebrity's smaller ships while the third Regent is more in the Seabourn/Silversea size category. Maybe CN needs a new category like "Not Really Large, But Not Really Small Either".:D

I agree. Two of Regent's and one of Crystal's are the same size. The other Crystal is in the size category with RCI/Holland/Celebrity's smaller ships while the third Regent is more in the Seabourn/Silversea size category. Maybe CN needs a new category like "Not Really Large, But Not Really Small Either".:D

Crystal's passenger capacity numbers vary (perhaps due to the third birth additions in 2007). The Serenity shows a capacity of 940 - 1070. The Symphony shows 940. Of course, the Voyager and Mariner are at 700 and the Navigator at 490.

I like your idea for a new category. Perhaps the breakpoint should be under 500, the "Not Really Large, But Not Really Small Either could go to 1,000 and then they can be in the "Too Large for me" category. Really do think there should be a mid-size category.

Thanks Wripro for letting me know who won the small cruise category. I'm trying to think which cruise lines would even be in that category except, perhaps, Silversea's smaller ships, Seabourn's smaller ships and Seadream Yacht Club. I am not aware of any premium or main stream cruise lines that are that small.

If I were doing the survey, I'd break it down into categories: luxury, premium, etc. How do you compare Carnival, Hal, Crystal and Disney, for instance?

Altho I severely do not appreciate Regent's absolutely lack of candor on the status of the Voyager (like Tom mentions above) I do appreciate the Regent announcment in para one points out they tied with Crystal. Crystal's announcment does not mention they tied with Regent.

I just came over to visit from the Crystal forum where there is still a great deal of cheerleading going on, and I agree with you that it was very refreshing to read that Regent wrote that their win was a tie. Unfortunately, Crystal's press release did not mention Regent at all.

I don't pay much attention to most surveys, including this one, but I think Regent does deserve credit for their press release.

Since my next cruise is booked on Crystal, perhaps I should skulk away now, or do our forthcoming Oceania bookings permit me to visit here as a "cousin"?

I just came over to visit from the Crystal forum where there is still a great deal of cheerleading going on, and I agree with you that it was very refreshing to read that Regent wrote that their win was a tie. Unfortunately, Crystal's press release did not mention Regent at all.

I don't pay much attention to most surveys, including this one, but I think Regent does deserve credit for their press release.

Since my next cruise is booked on Crystal, perhaps I should skulk away now, or do our forthcoming Oceania bookings permit me to visit here as a "cousin"?

You are welcome here any time:)

Why not just a category, "medium sized"? After all, with the megaships out there, it leaves a hole. But in general, I've always thought that these CN ratings were largely hooey.

Wes, you are a Regent alumnus, whether you cruise them again or not, so of course you don't have to do any skulking!

Wendy, thanks, but think you meant your last sentence for O&Rivers..am not skulking have the Voyager TA booked (hopefully we will on board in 21 days) and we have the Mariner TA booked for next November.

Archived