What is the best cruise line for Solo's?

rene194215

I am wanting to do a solo and I have always done Carnival with a friend and this last time with my mom. I have read before that sometimes you can get a real good rate (not the double occupancy rate) on some ships? (not Carnival) Does anyone know? It does not matter the itinirary just the price right now (I love to cruise but just bought a condo:D)

I am wanting to do a solo and I have always done Carnival with a friend and this last time with my mom. I have read before that sometimes you can get a real good rate (not the double occupancy rate) on some ships? (not Carnival) Does anyone know? It does not matter the itinirary just the price right now (I love to cruise but just bought a condo:D)

Carnival used to have 150 percent for a single supplement, but they just recently stopped that. It's not ships that have the single supplement, but it's just all cruise lines. Very occasionally you might stumble upon a better deal for solos, but they are very few. For the most part, you will be paying the full double fare.

Most of the cruise lines offer some reduced singles supplements on certain cruises or ships or cabin classes, but you may find a better price for for some cruises even with the 200% supplement, because almost none of the cruise lines offer a *consistent* lower supplement.

Carnival used to have a consistent 150% for cabin 1A class, which made them a clearer choice for many solo travellers, but they stopped that and finding any single supplement discount on them is difficult anymore. (OTOH, often their 200% supplement cruises are still cost competitive...) I've done solo cruises on Carnival in the past and they treated us fairly well.

Norwegian Epic has a bunch of Studio cabins that technically have *no* single supplement, but when I looked at pricing, it turns they're about 150% the double occupancy price of a standard interior cabin (and *tiny*) - so I guess you could consider that the "supplement".

IMHO, you're better off not asking which cruise line, but rather just determine when and where you want to sail, and start pricing out various cruises, and pick out the one which suits you and your budget the best.

Ive traveled solo over 10 times . Ive found Royal Caribean and Holland america to be the best for solo travelers . Ive gotten the best prices with lowest suplements and they are solo friendly, parties and daily get togethers .A few years ago I went on Carnivel but they stoped the single discounts . I just booked RCI Jewell in Jan at a 125 Suplement , on a balcony room . Great deal CARL

• 1 month later...

Costa offers a low 30% single supplement if you book early. Sometimes however they don't accept double/single use bookings until the few single cabins aboard are booked. The single cabins are of course tiny and usually in bad positions (bow or aft over the props).

I have a Costa cruise booked for Feb. 2011 in a well placed double cabin and paid only a SS of 30%.

On CC's news I read an article indicating RCI's intention to refurbish some of their older ships with single cabins, because, as their CEO said:

"We recognise that there is a demand for the single traveller business," he is quoted as saying. "We are going to be revitalising our older ships such as Radiance of the Seas and Grandeur of the Seas, and so we will have opportunity to create spaces for single travellers then."

Single supplements are the biggest bugbear of solo travellers, who often have to pay up to twice the single fare if they want a decent cabin. Staterooms for one were simply unheard of on new ships until earlier this year, when both P&O Cruises and NCL introduced solo accommodation on Azura and Norwegian Epic respectively. Needless to say, the cabins -– 18 on Azura and a more generous 128 on Epic -- sold like hot cakes and single travellers are crying out for more.

But Royal Caribbean won't be making changes to its two biggest and newest ships, the 225,282-ton, 5,400-passenger Oasis of the Seas and Allure of the Seas. Instead, any single cabins, Goldstein continued, would be on the older ships due for revamps, including Grandeur of the Seas and Radiance of the Seas. Liberty of the Seas and Freedom of the Seas, both big, Freedom-class ships, are due for upgrades early in 2011, too, although nothing specific has been announced yet regarding these possible new cabins. On that, we will keep you posted.

Unquote

All I can say is: "it's about time !"

I have got some really good rates on cruises that were bargains to begin with...I sailed Celebrity Summit repo in Oct. and my suppl. was 164%. Rates fell, and I went from an inside to an OV cabin. I am booked on Celebrity Solstice TA on May 1, and rates were so good that Iwas able to book an verandah cabin in Concierge Class, and my suppl. is 124%! EM

• 5 weeks later...
On CC's news I read an article indicating RCI's intention to refurbish some of their older ships with single cabins, because, as their CEO said:

"We recognise that there is a demand for the single traveller business," he is quoted as saying. "We are going to be revitalising our older ships such as Radiance of the Seas and Grandeur of the Seas, and so we will have opportunity to create spaces for single travellers then."

Single supplements are the biggest bugbear of solo travellers, who often have to pay up to twice the single fare if they want a decent cabin. Staterooms for one were simply unheard of on new ships until earlier this year, when both P&O Cruises and NCL introduced solo accommodation on Azura and Norwegian Epic respectively. Needless to say, the cabins -– 18 on Azura and a more generous 128 on Epic -- sold like hot cakes and single travellers are crying out for more.

But Royal Caribbean won't be making changes to its two biggest and newest ships, the 225,282-ton, 5,400-passenger Oasis of the Seas and Allure of the Seas. Instead, any single cabins, Goldstein continued, would be on the older ships due for revamps, including Grandeur of the Seas and Radiance of the Seas. Liberty of the Seas and Freedom of the Seas, both big, Freedom-class ships, are due for upgrades early in 2011, too, although nothing specific has been announced yet regarding these possible new cabins. On that, we will keep you posted.

Unquote

All I can say is: "it's about time !"

I need to email this to head of Carnival.

• 2 weeks later...

I am cruising on Celebrity and paid less than $100 more for a cat 4 ocean view on deck 8 solo. I booked this cruise late, and also got a residency deal.

Keep looking, the rates are out there.

I have heard that Epic Solo cabins are selling out so fast the rates will not be dropping.

K

I would love to be on Granduer again!!

Like others, I used to sail on Carnival because of the 50% supplement. Since they did away with that, I been sailing on Royal Caribbean. I just been getting better deals all around with RCCL. Got a 4 night cruise on my favorite ship, Radiance of the Seas, outside cabin for less than $300. Carnival was over $500 for the same type of cruise and cabin. I have taken 6 cruises this year and as long as RCCL offers me the deals, I am sailing with them.

Joel

Thebambam

Like others, I used to sail on Carnival because of the 50% supplement. Since they did away with that, I been sailing on Royal Caribbean. I just been getting better deals all around with RCCL. Got a 4 night cruise on my favorite ship, Radiance of the Seas, outside cabin for less than $300. Carnival was over $500 for the same type of cruise and cabin. I have taken 6 cruises this year and as long as RCCL offers me the deals, I am sailing with them.

Joel

Thebambam

Maybe I need to give RCCL another chance.

Archived