Ahoy Mates Just in cruise news

Cygneagile

October 15th

Four major cruise lines—Norwegian, Princess, Celebrity and Holland America—won’t be sailing from ports in Florida to and through the Caribbean. All the cruises of those lines that were once operated from Florida to that tropical sea will have been shifted to European waters and other oceans of the world.

More info: http://www.meetingscanada.com/public/content.jsf?id=/english/major-cruise-lines-pass-on-the-caribbean-21708

This is not good new for me. I was planning another cruise in early April.

Wow.

October 15th

Four major cruise lines—Norwegian' date=' Princess, Celebrity and Holland America—won’t be sailing from ports in Florida to and through the Caribbean. All the cruises of those lines that were once operated from Florida to that tropical sea will have been shifted to European waters and other oceans of the world.

More info: http://www.meetingscanada.com/public/content.jsf?id=/english/major-cruise-lines-pass-on-the-caribbean-21708

Wow.[/quote']

Interesting. Maybe the lines will do away with their fakey islands and start including more lesser known islands. I'd love that.

Check out the Princess website. They have 19 cruises sailing the Caribbean in April and they leave from Ft. Lauderdale.

You might have included this applies to April-October. HAL doesn't stay much past mid April anyway.

When we were in the Med in August, we heard the Oasis of the Seas is going to be in the Med for 2011, so that follows with this report. The Oasis and Allure can only go to Europe, as currently, the Panama canal is a no go. This might apply to others for awhile, until the Canal widening is done.

October 15th

Four major cruise lines—Norwegian' date=' Princess, Celebrity and Holland America—won’t be sailing from ports in Florida to and through the Caribbean. All the cruises of those lines that were once operated from Florida to that tropical sea will have been shifted to European waters and other oceans of the world.

Wow.[/quote']

And in early April you should have no trouble finding a cruise.

I have no idea what spurred this article, or why anyone associated with Frommer would think this is news, but cruise lines have pulled ships from Caribbean itineraries and redeployed them to other ports for years. Further, the ships aren't just sent to Europe, but also to Alaska and Bermuda. The cruise lines are simply responding to demand, not to mention the fact that they can demand higher per diems on Europe, Alaska and Bermuda cruises than the run of the mill Miami...St. Thomas...St. Maarten cruises.

I hope they stay until mid April. Then with Huricane season they can move on. We are looking for a Panama cruise. Not through the Canal. They have excursion that get you to the locks. That would be great.

The Royal Caribbean Jewel of the Seas leaves FLL 4/18 and stops at Panama, as does the Celebrity Equinox on 4/11.

Don't pay much attention to what Arthur Frommer says. He has written several very negative articles about large cruise ships, with no indication he has ever been on one.

That is wonderful new Alan. Thanks I know there are still many Americans that still cruise the Caribbean as well as we Canadian. Mind you, I watch for the days at sea and the ports that they own.... That is just like a day at the beach with a captive audience.

And in early April you should have no trouble finding a cruise.

I have no idea what spurred this article, or why anyone associated with Frommer would think this is news, but cruise lines have pulled ships from Caribbean itineraries and redeployed them to other ports for years. Further, the ships aren't just sent to Europe, but also to Alaska and Bermuda. The cruise lines are simply responding to demand, not to mention the fact that they can demand higher per diems on Europe, Alaska and Bermuda cruises than the run of the mill Miami...St. Thomas...St. Maarten cruises.

Can we say taken out of context or major details left out of the article?:p:rolleyes:

The Royal Caribbean Jewel of the Seas leaves FLL 4/18 and stops at Panama, as does the Celebrity Equinox on 4/11.

Don't pay much attention to what Arthur Frommer says. He has written several very negative articles about large cruise ships, with no indication he has ever been on one.

I'm not impressed with anything he's written about travel in general and cruising in particular..

Doesn't surprise me.

Caribbean tends to be too hot in the summer months and other places like Alaska, Baltics tend to be too cold in the winter.

We were on Epic in Aug in Caribbean and found it just too hot that we spent more time indoors. Also we went on excusrions that involved at least one of the following, boat, snorkel, beach, spending time in the sea. But above all we enjoyed the Epic.

Our colleague also went to Caribbean in Aug on Oasis and he and his family found it too hot but enjoyed the ship.

So, for the summer: ideal spots for cruising are Alaska, Baltics, Norway, Bermuda.

Bad for summer: Caribbean, Med/Egypt, South America/Antarctica

Good for winter: Caribbean, Med/Egypt, South America/Antarctica

Bad for winter: Alaska, Baltics, Bermuda.

As for Norway - it's up to you in the wintertime - if you really want to experience the real Norwegian winter go on Hurtigruten during the winter.

I think Panama one is year round. Can somebody fill in with bMexican Riveria and Hawaii?

I hope they stay until mid April. Then with Huricane season they can move on. We are looking for a Panama cruise. Not through the Canal. They have excursion that get you to the locks. That would be great.

Check out HAL doing a ten day round trip cruise from FLL to Panama Canal and back to FLL. They go through the first set of locks' date=' stay a while in Gatun Lake while guests can do some excursions and then back through the same locks to FLL. [/b']

We have done that cruise at least 4 or 5 times and it is wonderful.

Check out HAL doing a ten day round trip cruise from FLL to Panama Canal and back to FLL. They go through the first set of locks, stay a while in Gatun Lake while guests can do some excursions and then back through the same locks to FLL.

We have done that cruise at least 4 or 5 times and it is wonderful.

I am researching this wonderful cruise as we speak.

Celebrity does have a few good deals but it is out because they do not allow smoking on balconies of in cabin. My sisters both smoke so that is out of the question. They smoke on the balcony only of course never in the cabin. What a nasty habit. So HAL might well be the way to go.

As far as my OP and the article, I have not seen it anywhere in our local paper or on the news. I am well aware that several cruise ship stay away from the Caribbean during huricane season.

Archived