Traditional Dining - Who assigns your table and when?

swdke

I am curious, for traditional dining, who assigns the table, and when? I know when we pick up or boarding pass, that our table number should be listed, or that's what I am assuming, but is table selection done by automated computer, or does a person actually do the assignments. For our up coming cruise, we have a group of 5, and hoping to all be seated together. This was requested through our TA, and she states this has been noted on our reservation. Hoping our request is granted, but was curious as to the process of table assignment before all the passengers board.

If your TA linked all the bookings together, there shouldn't be a problem with all being assigned together in traditional.

It's been a few years since I have seen it, but I do know that the Matire d' used to do the table assigning the week (or so) proior to the new passengers boarding. I only knew because we were on a Back to Back cruise and he told us he was making up the seating assingments for the next cruise and wanted to know if we were happy where we were or if we wished to switch to another table. He took me over to his area where all of the tables were listed on a dining room type map, and he showed me which ones were not assigned yet we could choose from. As said, this was a few years ago, so it may have changed. But I would guess the Maitre d' still assigns the tables long before you board so the table number can be placed on your cruise card.

Frankly I think they use a blindfold and a dartboard.....i dont think there is a rhyme or reason on how/who you get matched up with at a table - but I agree i think youre safe if all reservations are linked together you'd sure think they would have that part nailed down after all these years!

Sometimes I think they scheme behind the scenes to match us up with other people. For instance, we have helped balance the number of women at a table (we're two guys) several times--once with a family with two daughters, once with two women traveling together, and once with two sisters traveling without their husbands/families. At other times, I think it's totally random.

I don't know how they do it but in 14 cruisers I've never been disappointed in the people we have shared our table with.

You beat me to saying the same thing...

In over 20 cruises since '86 we've always had good tablemates. When our kids were young, they would pair us with others with kids. We get traditional dining & will continue to do so...in my opinion someone is doing a good job.

Could the assigning be age based? We have found couples of similar ages to ourselves.

I have always enjoyed dinner conversations at the end of the day. It's great to share excursions and daily activities with each other.:)

I would doubt it. When we used to have traditional dining, our dinner companions were anywhere from 20 years younger to 20 years older than ourselves. Always a mixed bunch.

We were even seated a couple of times at a large table where our small group of 4 were the only ones that spoke english, so even language I don't think has a lot to do with it. That made for a difficult conversation at dinner I might add. lol

We've chosen traditional late seating and were asked to choose table size. I said a table for 6 would be nice and a good way to meet fellow cruisers. It sounds like we may be paired with others our age. Not that we don't like kids (we have 6) but this trip is for us and I'd rather not be at a table with kids. We booked directly with Princess, should I call and tell them or wait and see what we get first?

I'd feel bad if we asked to be moved after the first night,,,,,,,,,actually I feel bad just asking this question. Don't get me wrong, we both love kids but we really need a bit of time for the two of us, hence the running away from home cruise:)

It's not just kids. We were assigned to a table of eight and the other three couples were from New Jersey and were in the same business and all the conversation was about their business with an occasional nod toward us as in "How was your day" but they didn't want to know, their conversation turned toward each other.

In ten cruises that was a table from hell but we stuck it out and have taken anytime dining ever since.

I'd feel bad if we asked to be moved after the first night,,,,,,,,,actually I feel bad just asking this question. Don't get me wrong, we both love kids but we really need a bit of time for the two of us, hence the running away from home cruise:)

Don't feel bad, and definitely don't hesitate to ask to be moved if you find yourself at a less-than-optimal table. You deserve the dining experience of your choice, whatever that happens to be. I've only had to ask for a change once and the maitre d' couldn't have been nicer about it and it was taken care of in a matter of moments.

Archived