LIVE from the Sapphire Princess - Sydney to Los Angeles

Pia1913

Hi Julia,

Since we will be in the South Pacific next October I am interested in your comment regarding the "terrific snorkeling". Please tell me more, where did you snorkel and were they all tours, if so were they private or Princess excursions. Thanks for any and all info.

I'll fill you in once we return home, ok? Promise! :)

Good Morning everyone, on this beautiful day at sea and the 4th formal night of this cruise. Ahem………..that means #9 for us. I’m not even attempting the treadmill today. My body needs at least one day of rest; perhaps more.

The Patter is chock full of stuff starting with our progressive Kwik Quiz at 9:45 and followed by Richard’s very popular brain buster trivia at 10:15. There’s a port lecture on Maui this morning, followed by Ronald Bowers lecture on “Stalking Celebrity Catherine Zeta Jones”: Why did a woman want to kill this famous star? Do you want information on skin care? Do you want information on acupuncture for pain? Do you want to know how to improve joint mobility and digestion? All this and more this morning. There’s also a special German brunch being served in Fusion; Frueshoppen; from 11 to 2:00.

Afternoon brings us another art auction and the movie South Pacific -2001 with Glenn Close and Harry Connick, Jr. Of course there are more fun and games this afternoon including trivia, bingo and afternoon tea.

Tonight in the theater we have Glenn Amer who is listed as an exciting entertainer with the “finger of Liberace and the voice of Mario Lanza.” In Explorer’s is another comedy show by Don Ware. There’s a possibility we might live dangerously and check them both out.

Philsfun: Our CD is Richard Joseph, but he is leaving when we get to LA on the 20th.

Good Morning everyone, on this beautiful day at sea and the 4th formal night of this cruise. Ahem………..that means #9 for us. I’m not even attempting the treadmill today. My body needs at least one day of rest; perhaps more.

The Patter is chock full of stuff starting with our progressive Kwik Quiz at 9:45 and followed by Richard’s very popular brain buster trivia at 10:15. There’s a port lecture on Maui this morning, followed by Ronald Bowers lecture on “Stalking Celebrity Catherine Zeta Jones”: Why did a woman want to kill this famous star? Do you want information on skin care? Do you want information on acupuncture for pain? Do you want to know how to improve joint mobility and digestion? All this and more this morning. There’s also a special German brunch being served in Fusion; Frueshoppen; from 11 to 2:00.

Afternoon brings us another art auction and the movie South Pacific -2001 with Glenn Close and Harry Connick, Jr. Of course there are more fun and games this afternoon including trivia, bingo and afternoon tea.

Tonight in the theater we have Glenn Amer who is listed as an exciting entertainer with the “finger of Liberace and the voice of Mario Lanza.” In Explorer’s is another comedy show by Don Ware. There’s a possibility we might live dangerously and check them both out.

Philsfun: Our CD is Richard Joseph, but he is leaving when we get to LA on the 20th.

Pia I must give this to you that you are a real Princess fan in every way.

They certainy should reward you for your very loyal patronage.:)

Kruisey:

I totally agree with your comments.

Many people will be considering this cruise as a result of following Pia's posts. Princess is in her debt.

For those who are considering the cruise, think seriously of taking both portions. We wish that we had. We certainly have the time needed and our business class tickets for the return flight as well as our hotel costs rivaled the price of our mini suite.

The jetlag is horrendous. We flew from Sydney to South Korea to JFK (That made the business class tickets a titch less expensive) and then stayed in NYC until the next day when we boarded a flight to Indianapolis. After a few days we drove home to Florida.

Thanks once again Pia for the daily updates.

Pia;

Sounds like another great day at sea. Thanks for once again checking in.....:):):)

Bob

We started bouncing a bit last night, but this morning it’s nice and calm and beautiful and sunny. Good Saturday morning from the beautiful Sapphire Princess. Yikes! I sound like cruise staff. :)

Awaiting us when we arrived back to our cabins last night were instructions on what is to be our full immigration inspection upon arrival into Honolulu tomorrow. U.S. citizens will be reporting to Fusion, while non U.S. citizens will all be going to the Princess theater. There are more non U.S. than U.S., so perhaps we will get cleared faster. They are doing those who are on tours first and the schedule delegates us to 10:00 AM. We weren’t going to get off any earlier anyway, so no biggie as far as we’re concerned. WalMart can wait. :D

Today’s schedule consists of a destination talk on “What have the Hawaiians ever done for us?” at 10:00 AM and the forensics guy’s lecture “Scaling the Walls of Madonna’s Mansion” at 11:30. Another pub lunch being held in Fusion (we went to the German brunch yesterday; YUK!) and an afternoon lecture on Art History; “Botticelli to Warhol” in Explorer’s. The afternoon movie is “Dinner for Schmucks.,” which will be repeated at 10:00 PM.

Evening entertainment is another presentation of “Do you Wanna Dance” in the theater and String Fever in Explorer’s. We will be in our cabin watching South Pacific - 2001.

Keith: Just what I need; 2 stewarts! :eek:

Evana: Your suggestion sounds good, though I've been doing well with our allotment.

Home again from the Crown and enjoyed catching up with your trip. Fall leaves were gorgeous. Sorry to hear about your cough; I had one too. I wasn't contagious but avoided Trivia, the theater and the dining room until it was manageable. Our captain was Nick Nash and I must say he's the most personable and passenger-friendly captain I've met. You've no doubt heard his Cruise Critic speech by now - funny. Enjoy the rest of your cruise!

Good Morning. It’s a beautiful Sunday in Honolulu. I cannot believe what fantastic weather we’ve been having; one perfect day after another. Our new captain has arrived and will take over officially at noon. One Nick takes over from another Nick.

We intend to get off around 11ish, providing the immigration inspection goes well. Our plans are to wander around Ala Moana shopping center. It’s time to get my nails done again and I know there’s a salon there. We could also use another bottle of wine and some diet Pepsi of course. BTW, I am back to being almost healthy. Perhaps I shouldn’t say it out loud.

On board today is the movie Inception with Leonardo DiCaprio and also Sunday NFL football. Yes, CNN and ESPN have returned. Satellite permitting the games to be shown are the Titans vs. Dolphins, Seahawks vs. Cardinals and Patriots vs. Steelers. Seems funny that one of the games is on now; at 8:00 AM.

Tonight in the theater is a Hawaiian folkloric show and in Explorer’s is the documovie “The Wonder of it All” with Buzz Aldrin and Alan Bean.

We are in port until 11:00 PM and then continue on to Maui.

See you later.

Glad to hear you are feeling better.

If you decide to watch Inception, allow yourself 3 hours....very long movie and one you need to give your undivided attention to understand it. Haven't watched it myself but that's what DH and DS told me.

Time difference.....that's why you're watching football in the morning...lol. It's 1:27pm EST here.

Enjoy Honolulu!

Hello again from Honolulu. Just got back on the ship (it’s 4:00 PM, but I’m doing a copy and paste) after being off since 9:30. Immigration went so quickly that we just got off much earlier than anticipated. Since no other ship took our spot (last cruise Carnival had grabbed it), we docked at Aloha Tower.

We took the free WalMart shuttle, bought our Pepsi, water and wine and then walked the two blocks to Ala Moana mall. Mike took his backpack so it made schlepping all that liquid much easier. I offered to carry some, but my macho man wouldn’t allow it. Had my nails done at the mall and then went to a real restaurant for lunch; Islands. Good burgers (Mike), good chicken tacos (me) and wonderful coffee (me; 3 cups).

After having our fill of the mall, we walked back to WalMart and took the shuttle back to the ship. Lots of delay getting on due to the fact that they were looking into everyone’s carryon and confiscating all booze. The wine was OK and limited to only one per person. The three people in line before us had their brandy, Seagrams and cognac taken away. I saw them being given receipts, so I suppose they will get it back on board before they disembark. Very strict here, so those of you getting on here in the future will be aware of what to bring or not to bring aboard.

We are now having some wine and then will get off again and walk around Aloha Tower. I love the fact that we can poke around and dawdle to our heart’s content inasmuch as the ship is here until 11:00 PM.

Back from roaming and also back from a quick dinner in Horizon Ct. The humidity got to me. I am exhausted. This is going to be a very early night. Goodbye until tomorrow.

Thanks for the info Pia. I knew they were quite strict last fall on the liquor being carried onboard in Hawaii, but I don't remember them enforcing the one bottle of wine rule. I have passed the info along to our roll call to those who will be boarding in Honolulu in February, just so they are aware. I guess we will just have to pick up a bottle of wine in each port to get our stock built up for the trip to Tahiti. Again, many thanks!

Good Morning from Maui. Last night sure went quickly. Went to bed early and here it is another day. Another day of heat and humidity and sunshine. I could swear the ship never left Honolulu, but the scenery outside my window has changed, one of the changes being HAL Zaandam just passed by. We’ll be tendering over about 9:30 to meet our friends from the first cruise, Jane and Terry. They live in Maui (about an hour out of Lahaina) and they are driving in to spend a few hours with us. We are so fortunate to have met this great couple.

Not much to do if you stay on board except play some trivia and see the movie “The A-Team.” At 3:00 PM, for those who are back on board early, there will be a “Maui Legends” lecture by a native named Kainoa. He will be sharing history and stories of Maui with the hope you will return to visit and hear some more. This is in fact our 6th visit here.

Tonight in the theater is the production show “I Got the Music” and there’s a magician, Chad Chesmark in Explorer’s. We’ll probably be watching another in-cabin movie. We still have to lose 2 hours before arriving into L.A. and the first one will be lost tonight when we move our clocks forward.

Breakfast awaits. See you later.

Archived