Downturn economy and Princess

gingera

I wish I could say the same, I finally just broke even when CCL hit 40 this week. But I have had an excellent return on investment with all of those tax free dividends aka OBC so I'm still very happy:D:D:D

Love that shareholder OBC!!!

Red Hat Cruise Cat - I agree with you, except I am still waiting to break even; $2 more per share and I will be happy... I do love those OBC'S from Princess (Liza)...:)

Pricing has been good (for the consumer) and as a cruise shareholder for many years (both RCCL and CCL at varying times) the cruise lines really do want to lure you on to the ship with low cabin prices. On-board sales are where they really make their money. Remember - that ship sails whether that cabin is empty or full.

The only future problem I see (to maintain any stable cabin pricing) is that all of these new ships are coming on-line. I truly hopes the economy recovers or it will be difficult for all of the lines to maintain any cabin pricing stability.

The cruise lines are looking to Europe as price wise they do better than in the US. For example, Celebrity for many years had a ship in FT Lauderdale in the summer. Last year they had Solstice for the first time in the summer, but failed to do a solid promotion and sales were poor; this year all new Celebrity ships are scheduled for Europe with none left in S. FL. Also, Alaska is being played out - been there; done that and pricing has been terrible. We were on HAL B2B (two weeks) for two people for $1,800.

We love a good bargain, but the only place we will not go for low prices again is San Juan. Not being prejudiced, as I grew up in NYC which is quite diverse and have many Puerto Rican friends (some who actually live in PR), we have discussed this issue in other threads, but the kids were running wild though the ship and the parents could not control them. One woman on the thread commented -- "she was from PR originally and did not believe it until she saw it for herself on her cruise." It was wild... We will only go out of San Juan, if it is high season and they are not selling out the ship for $200 for the week.

Happy Sailing....:)

But then I am comparing my 14 day Grand carribean at $1900 for a mini suite to europe and South america at $3800 for a balcony.I suspect they will come down or I won't be going.

osidunker - Generally, cruiselines want TA's to get people to book early, but then pricing does not hold up and then you have to deal with refunds and credits. We generally wait 2-3 months out to book anything and do all the research and firm up our dates THEN!!! when the deal pops up on the cruise we want -- with air included, gratuities, SBC, etc.. we are ready to book ASAP...

We have done this with Alaska, Russia, W. Med., etc.. Also, don't depend on the TA to let you know about price reductions, as it cuts into their commission and they are genrally too busy. We have received multiple price adjustments on the same cruise as it goes down... You need to keep checking.

Good Luck... :)

Just off the Coral full Panama transit and the ship was not full. Our friends on board were told by a crew member that they were 200 short of full. The dining rooms were only half full at dinner, traditional and anytime. I guess it could always be timing but that was a pretty big amount to go unsold.

Our Princess cruise for early December this year was waitlisted in every category by and after final payment time. No doubt it will sail full without any last minute discounting or flash sale fares.

Prices for next spring seem to be significantly higher than they were for 2010. Although some spring cruises have had their prices recently reduced, they are still higher than this year.

Perhaps you are on the 12/5 Ruby cruise. I'm on the 12/12 Eastern C and it looks like they still have plenty of available rooms. A balcony is less than an Ocean View. It's about $500 more than we paid for in interior. If that dropped to $300, I'd spring for it. But I don't see that as likely.

BTW, would they even allow that? Booking and paying for an interior, and then seeing a balcony drop in price, and letting you pay the difference? Or is that new, lower price only for new bookings?

Perhaps you are on the 12/5 Ruby cruise. I'm on the 12/12 Eastern C and it looks like they still have plenty of available rooms. A balcony is less than an Ocean View. It's about $500 more than we paid for in interior. If that dropped to $300, I'd spring for it. But I don't see that as likely.

BTW, would they even allow that? Booking and paying for an interior, and then seeing a balcony drop in price, and letting you pay the difference? Or is that new, lower price only for new bookings?

Navychop3 - They will generally let you upgrade to a higher cabin unless it is "new booking" only special. Sometimes, as it gets closer to the cruise they may not let you change if it is a "Happy Hour" special to sell out the ship. Keep an eye on the pricing; if you paid in full and the price drops you may still be able to get a SBC; if you have not paid in full you will receive a credit before you make your final payment.

Good luck...:)

How about this. We booked this cruise August 18, 2009. 7 day coastal a sorta a wine country cruise departing May 14, 2011 Sapphire Princess. It has been sold out for several months now. Waite list only no guarantees.

Check it out.

Helps to have the right itineraries also.:cool:

How about this. We booked this cruise August 18, 2009. 7 day coastal a sorta a wine country cruise departing May 14, 2011 Sapphire Princess. It has been sold out for several months now. Waite list only no guarantees.

Check it out.

Helps to have the right itineraries also.:cool:

The itineraries they do one or two of a year do sell out quite a bit in advance.

There was recently a Sea Princess out of SFO that did a 10 day Mex Riveria. That was also sold out many months in advance.

Check it out. Helps to have the right itineraries also.:cool:

The itineraries they do one or two of a year do sell out quite a bit in advance.

There was recently a Sea Princess out of SFO that did a 10 day Mex Riveria. That was also sold out many months in advance.

gertz and Coral -- It is somewhat a bit of a game. Many times large TA's and discounters secure blocks of space on a ship -- then the infamous "90 Day" mark before the cruise comes --when payment is generally do and suddenly all of this cabin space opens up. Unless it is a New Years Cruise or something really special -- availability is never an issue. We have booked cruises 3 weeks before sailing (during high periods) and never had an issue...

Happy Sailing...:)

gertz and Coral -- It is somewhat a bit of a game. Many times large TA's and discounters secure blocks of space on a ship -- then the infamous "90 Day" mark before the cruise comes --when payment is generally do and suddenly all of this cabin space opens up. Unless it is a New Years Cruise or something really special -- availability is never an issue. We have booked cruises 3 weeks before sailing (during high periods) and never had an issue...

Maybe not as much of a game as one might think. Speciality cruises can completely sell out early. This one for example is wait list only no guarantees. However, in general I tend to agree with you but we normally don't do this. We know which cabin we want in this case it is E728 so we book early and check price often and the total price has increased $500.00 since we first booked and you cant find a better price even at a Internet discounter.

Not always the case, we sail on the Diamond out of Sydney in 78 days and every single room category with the exception of two full suites are wait-list only right now. We'll see if it holds in the next couple of days after all final payments are due, but prices have gone up over $1000 per person from when I booked originally to the current pricing for our category.

Maybe not as much of a game as one might think. Speciality cruises can completely sell out early. This one for example is wait list only no guarantees. However, in general I tend to agree with you but we normally don't do this. We know which cabin we want in this case it is E728 so we book early and check price often and the total price has increased $500.00 since we first booked and you cant find a better price even at a Internet discounter.

gertz: I agree with you -- it does happen in rare instances. Living in S. FL with so many ships available -- the competition is stiff and pricing is great for the consumer. We also check the prices after booking and have had multiple reductions on cruises even though we only book 2-4 months in advance. You do sound as if you are on top of things...

Not always the case, we sail on the Diamond out of Sydney in 78 days and every single room category with the exception of two full suites are wait-list only right now. We'll see if it holds in the next couple of days after all final payments are due, but prices have gone up over $1000 per person from when I booked originally to the current pricing for our category.

Coracii -- I guess the cruise lines need to send more ship to Australia...:p I am not sure if you have few or many ships down under - but it does sound as if demand is good in Australia. I hope that when final payment is due you receive a refund, upgrade or SBC -- definitely keep and eye on the fares... Good Luck...

Archived