Cruise Etiquette - Major Faux Pas???

Izzblizz

I hope that you aren't driving behind me when I slam on my brakes for something in the road either - god forbid you leave some space to account for these things. And as for space restrictions and guidelines - who decides how much space is appropriate per person? At 5'2" and 120lbs, with a backpack, I take up far less space in line than someone who is 5'6" and 250lbs.

As someone who has had back and shoulder surgery, carrying something over my arm is NOT AN OPTION. I use the backpack as it is intended, as recommended by my health care professional. If people can't find a few extra feet to accomodate that? Tough.

And as for rude? Telling a complete stranger that you hope they are run over by someone in a wheelchair without brakes? That comment is about as rude as I've seen on these forums. No wonder new cruises are taken aback after they read these boards.

When you have cruised on a few more cruises, you will understand more about what I have observed.

Until then, sorry about your back and shoulder, but others have medical problems as well.

Like I said in previous posts, I do not crowd in a line and try to leave plenty of space between me and the pax in front of me wearing a back pack. Only time I ever complain is when the pax in front of me doesn't appreciate my space behind them.

Dianne

the boat v. ship thing is always puzzling. I get corrected quite a bit. But is my defense I started calling the boats - boats when my grandchildren were little and the ship word just never came out right if you get my drift. Unfortunately boat has stuck in my vocabulary. I suspect the proper term is actually Liner. Have a wonderful cruise and don't let any of us older cruiser give you any problems.....

I am a person in a wheelchair. I'll let you all decide if these things -- all of which have happened to me personally -- are "rude" or not:

Person along side me reaching past me on the buffet line, to scoop something out of the bin next to me..dripping food on my plate, in my hair. They couldn't wait for me to move to the next station.

Person in front of me on line, huge backpack on their pack, swinging sideways to talk to his companion...hitting me in the head and shoulder.

Crowd of people *behind* me, waiting for the elevator. When it arrives, swarming around me -- not to hold the door so that I can get on, but to crowd on themselves.

Teenagers in the elevator with me, admiring my power wheelchair.. "Wish WE had one of those!! We could get around the ship much faster!!" and then shoving past me out the elevator doors.

Person in front of me, going through a doorway. Not so much as a glance behind. The door shuts in front of me.

A couple (or group of people) walking down a hallway -- stop dead, to look at ..whatever (ship map? schedule of day events? doesn't matter).. then mad at me because I nearly hit them (scooters don't stop totally, sometimes..but glide ahead.)

Person in line in the bathroom, sees me waiting for the *one* handicap stall to open..and when it does, slides around me and into the stall.

Family in the buffet area see me leaving my open space (I moved the chair so I could get to the table in my wheelchair), heading to the buffet line to get something, having left my book behind as a "marker" -- move the book and take over the table. "Well, there were several of us and you were at the table by yourself.."

People in the theatre standing in front of me as I'm "parked" in the few handicap accessible spots at the back of the theatre..hard enough to see from there anyway, but then latecomers come in and stand *in front* of me..

I could go on....

I am a person in a wheelchair. I'll let you all decide if these things -- all of which have happened to me personally -- are "rude" or not:

Person along side me reaching past me on the buffet line, to scoop something out of the bin next to me..dripping food on my plate, in my hair. They couldn't wait for me to move to the next station.

Yes. Wheelchair or not, that is extremely rude and low class. I hope they offered to grab a new plate for you and fill your plate.

Person in front of me on line, huge backpack on their pack, swinging sideways to talk to his companion...hitting me in the head and shoulder.

No. I'm sure it was just an accident. Not apologizing or recognizing what they did is rude.

Crowd of people *behind* me, waiting for the elevator. When it arrives, swarming around me -- not to hold the door so that I can get on, but to crowd on themselves.

Yes. Low class and rude.

Teenagers in the elevator with me, admiring my power wheelchair.. "Wish WE had one of those!! We could get around the ship much faster!!" and then shoving past me out the elevator doors.

Yes. Teens will say a lot of things (which this isn't too big of a deal), but it becomes rude when they don't recognize your situation and let you safely, comfortably exit the elevator.

Person in front of me, going through a doorway. Not so much as a glance behind. The door shuts in front of me.

Yes. Inconsiderate and rude.

A couple (or group of people) walking down a hallway -- stop dead, to look at ..whatever (ship map? schedule of day events? doesn't matter).. then mad at me because I nearly hit them (scooters don't stop totally, sometimes..but glide ahead.)

Did you at least apologize? Perhaps, you should leave a 10 paces difference between you and people in front of you.

Person in line in the bathroom, sees me waiting for the *one* handicap stall to open..and when it does, slides around me and into the stall.

Yes. Low class and rude.

Family in the buffet area see me leaving my open space (I moved the chair so I could get to the table in my wheelchair), heading to the buffet line to get something, having left my book behind as a "marker" -- move the book and take over the table. "Well, there were several of us and you were at the table by yourself.."

Yes. Inconsiderate and rude. The verbal exchange shows they're low class. They should've simply asked you if they could have your table ASSUMING there was a convenient smaller table for yourself.

People in the theatre standing in front of me as I'm "parked" in the few handicap accessible spots at the back of the theatre..hard enough to see from there anyway, but then latecomers come in and stand *in front* of me..

Yes. Wheelchair or not, that is rude to anybody.

I could go on....

Edited by CruisinChris412

When travelling, backpacks should be expected.

Although this is our first cruise, we are seasoned travellers. We have been to many places in the world - Europe, China, Mexico, Caribbean, etc. Travelling with backpacks is the norm - not a hot button topic, an unusual occurrence, or considered to be rude behaviour.

Until now, we have avoided cruising for many reasons - and while I am really looking forward to our trip and expect to have a great time, I am going to spend less time on cruisecritic. The negativity is becoming oppressive.

Although this is our first cruise, we are seasoned travellers. We have been to many places in the world - Europe, China, Mexico, Caribbean, etc. Travelling with backpacks is the norm - not a hot button topic, an unusual occurrence, or considered to be rude behaviour.

Until now, we have avoided cruising for many reasons - and while I am really looking forward to our trip and expect to have a great time, I am going to spend less time on cruisecritic. The negativity is becoming oppressive.

Was it something I said? It's just a reality of life. Airport lines, strolling tourist districts, hiking, beaches, ball games are all venues in which at least half of the people have a backpack of some sort. I didn't mean to sound so blunt and cold. Sorry.

Was it something I said? It's just a reality of life. Airport lines, strolling tourist districts, hiking, beaches, ball games are all venues in which at least half of the people have a backpack of some sort. I didn't mean to sound so blunt and cold. Sorry.

CruisinChris - your comments are spot on, carrying a backpack is a common thing. Previous posters made it sound like anyone carrying a backpack is rude and obnoxious, and should be run over by wheelchairs without brakes...

I think sometimes a simple topic such as backpacks can turn suddenly argumentative without any good explanation. Like you, I travel a lot and frequently use a backpack. A lot of the difference between airports and train stations vs cruise ships is space. Sometimes on a cruise ship the disembarkation area is nothing more than a corridor or tight stairwell with hundreds of people in line. It can be very close quarters. As I said in my previous post, I carry my backpack at these times. Sometimes, when tendering they have priority tendering where some cruisers get to go to the head of the line and then it can get pretty tight. You can imagine how volitile that could get if you were wearing the backpack and standing sideways, and as a new cruiser, not understanding why these people are seemingly trying to cut in.

You will find that cruising provides just as many opportunities to be considerate or rude as any other place. My observation is that cruisers tend to follow the considerate side. Actually, I have experienced rudeness far more in theme parks than I ever have on a cruise ship.

That said, this forum has many people with many different communication styles and they all don't mesh. Please don't let this one sway you into not participating. CC has many, many very kind and informative people who are very willing to provide you with their knowledge.I've been flamed on these boards, too, but really like these people.

Larry

People can be rude everywhere. I was in a line and some woman kept nudging me. She finaly told me to take my back pack off as it was interfering with her. I turned around and told her I was sorry and that I must have been in the wrong line. So I asked if this was the line to board the aircraft and she said yes what are you an idiot. So I told her that she was so close to me that I thought we were in the conga line. LOL. She backed off.

I am impressed. ..... you make the point that you are world travelers. :cool:

But, you cannot handle CC? :rolleyes:

Yes, it sure gets "oppressive" around here.

As a first time cruiser, are there any major etiquette breaches that one could unintentially commit? (other than the obvious like being outride rude/obnoxious etc.)

Was there ever anything you saw a "cruise newbie" do that was a major faux pas?

First time cruisers are usually more subdued than more seasoned cruisers, so I'm sure you'll be just fine.

Don't expect the world - life happens - keep a good attitude - be friendly and have a blast!

Avoid hostile comments dealing with politics or the perceived idea that a person is typical of any negative ideas you have about where they live. Don't disrespect another person's county.

We have been on four cruises in the last two years in which we had anytime dining. We have enjoyed meeting many different people over the course of our dinners.

What we have not enjoyed is being told what is "wrong" with our country (we are US citizens) and how could the "people" of our country have elected such an idiot as (Bush/Obama) as our president. The dialog becomes worse if/when they discover that we live in California and that one of us is a Democrat.

CruisinChris - your comments are spot on, carrying a backpack is a common thing. Previous posters made it sound like anyone carrying a backpack is rude and obnoxious, and should be run over by wheelchairs without brakes...

Wearing a backpack doesn't make one rude. Just be aware if you are in an extremely crowded area, others may not have the option to stand 2 or 3 feet away from you. The lobby while waiting to disembark the ship, or lines leading down to the gangway for example.

on our antartica cruise, the newbies (although same rudeness was also shown by multi-cruisers) tended to hog tables in the buffet area so they could spend hours sitting and watching the beautiful scenery; don't hog lounges by the pool by leaving a towel or personal item on it and then disappearing for hours; don't save seats in the theatre for shows; don't sit at a table for 8 or 10 and never say a word to your tablemates.

LOL-- just follow normal courtesies and you'll be fine. Have a wonderful trip.;)

I so agree with speaking to your tablemates. Even if your not a social butterfly at least say "Hello." Its so awkward if you don't not to mention kind of rude.

Another thing that bothers me is when people put their room service trays in the hall. The halls are narrow and the trays could be a safety hazard as people could trip on them. Also it is just plain unsightly to look at left over food on the floor.

Ya but does that mean you have to smell the left over food in your room all night??:(

Yes. Wheelchair or not, that is extremely rude and low class. I hope they offered to grab a new plate for you and fill your plate.

No. I'm sure it was just an accident. Not apologizing or recognizing what they did is rude.

Yes. Low class and rude.

Yes. Teens will say a lot of things (which this isn't too big of a deal), but it becomes rude when they don't recognize your situation and let you safely, comfortably exit the elevator.

Yes. Inconsiderate and rude.

Did you at least apologize? Perhaps, you should leave a 10 paces difference between you and people in front of you.

Yes. Low class and rude.

Yes. Inconsiderate and rude. The verbal exchange shows they're low class. They should've simply asked you if they could have your table ASSUMING there was a convenient smaller table for yourself.

Yes. Wheelchair or not, that is rude to anybody.

I could go on....

Some very good points here.

Faux pas? Hmmm. We have spent about 2 years cruising and have seen many faux pas. Here are just a few. Queue jumpers - It is amazing how many folks will try to cut into a line...especially at a buffet. We once had a lady cut us off in a line and when I objected she said, "I am old so I can do what I please." And I am in my 60s.

Robe People! This is what DW calls folks that wear the cabin bathrobes on deck. Those are supposed to be "bath robes" not pool wear.

Chair Hogs - A major problem on shorter (10 day and less) Caribbean cruises where folks will put their stuff on a deck chair at 7 am and not return until noon. Technically this is not allowed but it is done all the time.

Wearing hats in the MDR (main dining room) - Don't understand this but there are some teens and adult men who think its correct to wear hats (usually baseball caps) into the dining room.. We once saw a teen wear a wool hat on a formal night (this kid had a normal head of hair).

Hank

• 2 weeks later...
I agree with this one and also, please let those wheelchairs on the elevators first. They have no choice but to use an elevator. I have seen an awful lot of able-bodied people charge ahead of the wheelchairs. If you have ever been the person pushing the wheelchair you know what I mean. One young man almost knocked my Mom out of her wheelchair trying to vault over her to get the elevator. He hit her amputation pretty hard and left her in tears. Never even stopped to say he was sorry as the elevator doors closed. Mom died in February so it is no longer an issue for us, but we are extra courteous with those in wheelchairs after having to push her around on several cruises.

I 100% agree!!

My dad was recovering from knee surgery and heart surgery on the cruises we took last winter (we booked, non-refundable, no insurance before any surgeries were needed whatever)

We had a wheelchair on Carnival and people are so ignorant! Just trying to get through some of the hallways, they would stand right in the way and not even try to move, unfortunately, the wheelchair cannot squeeze between a metal bar and your butt...so move your butt.

Also, we do traditional dining, so we HAD to take the elvator down that one floor...most nights we watched as everyone else would jump in front of us, 3-4 elevators later, we could go....

Royal Caribbean, we weren't impressed with the wheelchair service, status of the chair or layout of the ship (Majesty of the Seas - stairs every other floor) plus the wheelchair they lent us had one wheel ready to fall off, and of course they made sure to tell us we would be charged $250 (more than one of our cruise fares) if it was damaged in any way...so we returned it about an hour after getting it and he hobbled about....

Point of this long post- I have even more sympathy for people trying to get around when in wheelchairs, and always have let them go first- plus if it's down I'll always take the stairs, up I sometimes need the elevator due to some knee damage I have,.

How about not letting kids run wild without adult supervision - I've seen this done so many times because kids (even the older ones - like teens) get bored at night because they're too young to get into the disco and then they hang out in the hallways and make all kinds of noise 'til the wee hours of the morning. They should really just be in a cabin of their own or maybe out on deck (near the pool). I notice too where many cruise ships are starting to have curfews (around 1:00 a.m.) and if kids under the age of 18 are out and about, security will tell them it's time to hit call it a night!

Ladies....If a man holds a door open for you, is it so hard to give a courtesy "thank you?"

:mad:Uggghhhh! This is one of my pet-peeves - no 'thanks' when I hold the door for someone! It's not just ladies not thanking men.

I love it when I man does the gentlemanly thing and holds the door for me, and always thank him. I also appreciate it when another lady or a child holds the door for me, and always thank them.

I, too, hold the door for people a lot, and am amazed and peeved at how many people (men, women, and children) don't thank me. I've gotten in the habit of saying, loud enough for them to hear as they are walking away, "You're welcome!".

Why can't we remember and practice these very simple courtesies?:confused:

In reading through this thread...and I'm not a new cruiser, or a new vacationer by any means...

If the worst I have to look forward to on my cruise vacation are people calling it a boat and wearing a backpack I would have to qualify that as no problems whatsoever.