Probably the same old questions

nevadabadgirl

Hi Everyone! Hope your vacation plans are as fun to make as mine are. I have posted here a few times, and never ended up taking a cruise, due to illnesses and deaths in the family. Every time we planned one, something went wrong. I am really really hoping this one works out. After losing both of my parents in less than 14 months, I am more than ready for a vacation! My whole families birthdays were (and are) in April. This is the month we had our large family celebration, rather than the holidays. This April, my son and I would like to do something totally different and just get away from it all.

My son is 21 and going to turn 22 on the cruise. He is special needs, but has no physical problems. He needs a lot of activities to keep him busy, since he is a bit socially awkward. He gets along well with people of all ages and never meets a stranger. His table manners are not atrocious, but leave much to be desired. I would like a ship where there might be some people his age and an active cruise director for things like dancing, games, etc.

I am 43 and will turn 44 directly after the cruise. I am in reasonable shape and health and am young at heart. You are more likely to find me in the middle of action than off by myself somewhere, though I do enjoy quiet times and good books. I get along well with people of all ages also.

I work in a large 4 star 5 diamond resort, so I am a bit spoiled in what a resort (or ship) should have to offer, but am not a "fancy" or picky person. I am a bit more critical about service than many, since it is my industry.

I have been to the ports offered on the cruises that we are interested in, so that and shore excursions aren't an issue. This is about cruising.

Any input on these cruise lines and ships would be most appreciated. I want it to be fun for us both. (I already know about rum runners, so don't worry about me too much! Nice buzz and an ocean is all it takes :D )

1. Carnival Splendor, 7 nights, oceanview cabin

2. Norwegian Star, 7 nights, oceanview cabin (seen some bad reviews on this one)

3. Carnival Spirit, 9 nights, inside cabin (extra day in Cabo and stops in Ensenada)

4. Holland America, 7 nights, inside cabin

5. Sapphire Princess, 7 nights, inside cabin

Sorry for the long post, but I am having trouble finding which cruise line and ship would be best for us. I did knock out the Disney cruise because of the price and probably a lot of small children.

Any input from you wonderful cruisers would be greatly appreciated!

Welcome to Cruise Critic. I hope you will enjoy your cruise once you decide on one.

You will get lots of opinions here, and they are just that, opinions, but from people who have cruised on the lines you mention. I've been on all the lines you list, and from my experience, I would cross off NCL as they are not known for good service or very good food. In my cruises, I would say that HAL and Princess are a bit above the other lines in terms of food and service. The only negative for HAL is they tend to attract a much older passenger demographic. If you want lots of activities, then Carnival or Royal Caribbean would be a great choice, especially with their newer and bigger ships. Have you looked at Celebrity? A bit more upscale and very good food and service.

The only downside is that your son won't be able to take part in the kid's program. That's unfortunate because they tend to have a lot of activities that would keep him very busy. And, they have experience with special needs kids, too. I'm not sure what kinds of activities that would be offered for an older special needs child (I taught older special needs kids for 17 years so I do understand their needs) but suffice it to say that the cruise director doesn't really do much with daily activities. You might see him at night doing a few things, but he/she really hands things off to his activity staff. What he could take part in are things like trivia (don't know what his mental functioning is, but trivia is an activity), bingo, and maybe sports. But beyond that, I'm not sure what he might be interested in doing.

No matter what, a cruise is a great way to take a vacation. For a first cruise, I guess it really doesn't matter what ship you take, because first cruises are special. Good luck with finding your perfect cruise.

1. Carnival Splendor, 7 nights, oceanview cabin

2. Norwegian Star, 7 nights, oceanview cabin (seen some bad reviews on this one)

3. Carnival Spirit, 9 nights, inside cabin (extra day in Cabo and stops in Ensenada)

4. Holland America, 7 nights, inside cabin

5. Sapphire Princess, 7 nights, inside cabin

Sorry for the long post, but I am having trouble finding which cruise line and ship would be best for us. I did knock out the Disney cruise because of the price and probably a lot of small children.

Any input from you wonderful cruisers would be greatly appreciated!

Once your child is older (21 in your case) there will be very few activities for him. Mostly that age will be wanting to drink and dance at night. He will be too old for the children's activities that are indeed well planned.

You discarded Disney for the price and number of children .. but then your biggest concern seems to be activities and you say you work in a 5 star hotel. Disney is rated higher star wise than Carnival for a reason .. its like saying you want to stay at the motel 6, but want 5 star treatment...to expect it from Carnival.

Princess and the others will have a little better food and a older crowd, which usually means fewer activities to me.

I cruised with a slow learner and she will watch anything, even things she cant do like trivia where she is unlikely to know any answers on Carnival, or a line dance class.

RCL has the most activities that teens can do outside and you arent considering them either... not sure how you made your list.

Thank you both so much for your input, it is truly appreciated.

My son is 21 already and likes to have a drink and look at the girls, and do most the things that 21 year olds like to do. I actually found some of the daily "newspapers" for some of the cruise lines and their "things to do". I think he will be just fine. His disability is mostly anchored in the whole "socially awkward" area. He is mostly looking forward to "formal" night and a chance to wear a tuxedo! As long as there is a drink or 2 and a girl or 2, that will entertain him for a bit :D Many of the activities I saw listed on those papers he could join in. Mainly I was hoping that the activity staff would try to include him, and was wondering if one cruise line might excel at that more than another.

I do understand that you get what you pay for many times. While I work in a fancy hotel, I don't really need to stay in one. I guess my question was, out of those lines, in everyone's opinion, who had the best service? I understand that I could never compare Crystal to Carnival. (When I asked one of my guests at my hotel who I should cruise with, they said Crystal, definitely too pricey and fancy for me!)

RCL is not on my list because they don't have a sailing from the west coast at the time I want to leave. Cruise Critic has a great article about that here: http://www.cruisecritic.com/articles.cfm?ID=1175 I wish they did, then I wouldn't be asking, I would have just booked. I had done a lot of research 2 years ago, and decided they would be best for us, booked the trip but a death in the family made us cancel.

After reading CC for all night (this is half the fun for me, and geeez did you have to make this forum so addicting??) I have narrowed it down to either the 2 Carnival sailings or the Princess sailing.

So now I am down to 3. :)

Everyone's needs and wants are different. For 7 nights, I would not want an inside room, and would have to cross that off my list. I love being able to look outside. You will find more activities on Carnival than the other lines, although this isn't our first choice. Glad you explained why RCI isn't on the list, as I was about to suggest you fly to a port and give an RCI cruise a chance.

you need to know that ship cabins are NOTHING like hotel rooms, unless you book a suite. They are sufficient for sleeping and changing, but they are (in most cases) about 1/2 the size of even small hotel rooms, and are not 'luxurious" by any means. Unless you book a true luxury cruiseline or a large suite on a ship, that is!

However, the service is grand! The food...don't expect 4 star on most ships! You will not go hungry, and you will have lots of options, but "haute cuisine" it is not!

I don't think your son will find a girl or two to entertain him, unless I misread your post. To be honest, cruises don't seem to attract that age group. Of course he can partake in the activities, but don't look for the activity staff to make sure he participates. They just don't do that with adults. Perhaps if you joined your son in some of the activities, you could see what things are like.

Thank you both so much for your input, it is truly appreciated.

My son is 21 already and likes to have a drink and look at the girls, and do most the things that 21 year olds like to do. I actually found some of the daily "newspapers" for some of the cruise lines and their "things to do". I think he will be just fine. His disability is mostly anchored in the whole "socially awkward" area. He is mostly looking forward to "formal" night and a chance to wear a tuxedo! As long as there is a drink or 2 and a girl or 2, that will entertain him for a bit :D Many of the activities I saw listed on those papers he could join in. Mainly I was hoping that the activity staff would try to include him, and was wondering if one cruise line might excel at that more than another.

I do understand that you get what you pay for many times. While I work in a fancy hotel, I don't really need to stay in one. I guess my question was, out of those lines, in everyone's opinion, who had the best service? I understand that I could never compare Crystal to Carnival. (When I asked one of my guests at my hotel who I should cruise with, they said Crystal, definitely too pricey and fancy for me!)

RCL is not on my list because they don't have a sailing from the west coast at the time I want to leave. Cruise Critic has a great article about that here: http://www.cruisecritic.com/articles.cfm?ID=1175 I wish they did, then I wouldn't be asking, I would have just booked. I had done a lot of research 2 years ago, and decided they would be best for us, booked the trip but a death in the family made us cancel.

After reading CC for all night (this is half the fun for me, and geeez did you have to make this forum so addicting??) I have narrowed it down to either the 2 Carnival sailings or the Princess sailing.

So now I am down to 3. :)

The 9-night cruise on the Carnival Spirit gets my vote! ONLY if you spring for a balcony! Come on, considering it's your first cruise, all the hardship endured, why not spoil yourself with a balcony? Ours was absolutely enchanting! Plus, it could be a great way for your son to enjoy the cruise experience if for some reason the other social situations on board aren't doing it for him. Maybe he may not like dining in the MDR or buffet crowds. Well you guys could order room service and sit out on your balcony and enjoy breakfast or lunch or dinner!

You said you want to cruise in April, right? Well, for the April 1st sailing, they have balcony rooms $839 available right now! DO IT! DO IT! DO IT! ;)

I don't think your son will find a girl or two to entertain him, unless I misread your post. To be honest, cruises don't seem to attract that age group. Of course he can partake in the activities, but don't look for the activity staff to make sure he participates. They just don't do that with adults. Perhaps if you joined your son in some of the activities, you could see what things are like.

Maybe she can buy him a massage with a happy ending in Ensenada? I've heard great things about the brothels in Mazatlan, too.

For your first ever cruise I would say go for the outside cabin. If your son take a little while to find his confidence he is at least able to take some time out in the cabin still being able to see the ocean and not just in four walls. I would think that being in an inside cabin feels a bit claustrophobic at times, if he feels a bit out of sorts. There will be lots of places to drink at, and if he likes to dress up the longer the cruise the more formal nights for him to dress up at (there may not be any difference between 7 and 9 nights though). I do agree that if you are able to stretch your budget for the balcony to do so. It would give him and yourselves the ability to sit out in the sun and fresh air alone if needed, plus I love spending hours out on the balcony reading books and watching the water go by.

There are lots of activities like quizzes and game show type things that your son will be able to join in with and they are free as part of the entertainment.

I have to say I could not really comment on girls of that age, I have always cruised with my wife/fiance so have not really looked ;)

You will all have the time of your life on which ever one you book.

Let us know what you choose and have a great time!

Thank you all so much for your input :D Realized that some of my post may have been misread :D When I said a couple girls to entertain him, I meant to look at :D We have legal brothels within 40 miles, and he hasn't gone...that I know of. Plenty of happy endings too :D

I think we may have settled on the 9 day and to stretch the budget and also add a couple of traveling companions and get a suite. Let's hope that all works out.

My thoughts are with the Splendor right now. But on the bright side, maybe it will scare some bookings off and drop the price for me in April!

Archived