Carnival Fire

kathyemma

Maybe it's me, but I am a little put off by the "emergency relief" efforts.

Yes, the ship had a fire, and has operational problems. But does that require and air craft carrier and air transport of foods to the ship? They have only been down for around 36 hours and we are already air dropping SPAM and MREs? Do/did they have any contingency plans for this, or anything close to it?

That's our tax dollars at work. While the ship is only 50 miles off shore, and about 100 miles from San Diego, getting a small ship to send supplies should not require military assistance. It is only about a 4-5 hour trek for the normal 20 k.p.h. ship.

This should be Carnival's problem and expense. If you break down on the side of the road, you call the tow truck. If the power goes out at McDonalds, they don't get the military air dropping french fries.

Maybe they are on the hook for the expenses. They certainly should be.

Yes, Carnival is paying for all expenses.

I agree CCL should be paying for the food and delivery, and given experience with BP it is not too hard to beleive that the Navy will charge for their service like the USCG did in the BP clean-up.

I think the USS Ronald Reagan is serving two purposes.

1. It is supplying needed food and medical supplies.

2. It provides protection and security. Wouldn't a stranded cruise ship make a tempting target for criminal interests and/or terrorists? This would be an especially tempting target being so close to the U.S. as a polical statement. If it was just for supplies you could send in a supply ship.

It would be unbelievable to estimate the price that the U.S. would charge for the services of an atomic powered ship that has a crew of 6,000 sailors for several days. I think the U.S. Navy considers this a matter of ensuring the safety of Americans on board and part of their given responsibility.

The BP cleanup did not involve insuring the immediate safety of human lives.

2. It provides protection and security. Wouldn't a stranded cruise ship make a tempting target for criminal interests and/or terrorists? This would be an especially tempting target being so close to the U.S. as a polical statement. If it was just for supplies you could send in a supply ship.

It would be unbelievable to estimate the price that the U.S. would charge for the services of an atomic powered ship that has a crew of 6,000 sailors for several days. I think the U.S. Navy considers this a matter of ensuring the safety of Americans on board and part of their given responsibility.

I think your speculation is a bit much. The ship is off the coast of Baja, which is not a hotbed of criminal activity. I don't think the drug lords are also pirates. I haven't followed you posts....but are you always a conspiracy theorist?

I would think terrorists would want a ship that was operational.

As for the aircraft carrier, it is not like it is in cold storage or suspended animation. If it is not on route to the Splendor, it is somewhere on route with 6,000 crew that is still eating and breathing.

Yes, the ship had a fire, and has operational problems. But does that require and air craft carrier and air transport of foods to the ship? They have only been down for around 36 hours and we are already air dropping SPAM and MREs? Do/did they have any contingency plans for this, or anything close to it?

That's our tax dollars at work. While the ship is only 50 miles off shore, and about 100 miles from San Diego, getting a small ship to send supplies should not require military assistance. It is only about a 4-5 hour trek for the normal 20 k.p.h. ship.

This should be Carnival's problem and expense. If you break down on the side of the road, you call the tow truck. If the power goes out at McDonalds, they don't get the military air dropping french fries.

E - I usually agree with you, but not in this case. I think this is an EXCELLENT use of our tax dollars. Part of the Navy's role, and much of the Coast Guard's role is search and rescue. A stranded and adrift cruise ship could lead to many problems and we should feel fortunate to have these assets in our arsenal to help our people. Aside from all that, maritime law mandates assistance.

The Splendor lost all their refrigerators, which means they lost all their cold stored food. Also, all the cooking surfaces in the kitchen are electric. Those are down too. I'm sure that's a major contributor to needing food.

No one ever said they DID know what it is like on board. I just guess my definition of "traumatic" and yours are just different and we will agree to disagree.

Ryano - With respect, you are arguing your case as others are arguing theirs. I understand what you are saying, but I am leaning toward the traumatic side. No, it isn't a major earthquake, hurricane, etc, and I'm sure they are being taken care of, but for people without a whole lot of sea experience, an onboard fire followed by drifting crippled can certainly spark many fears.

Something to consider. Even with OUR tax dollars, the rescue effort is going to providing food supplies to the PEOPLE on the ship, not giving Carnival free money. People who, more than likely just like you, paid taxes.

Yes, Carnival will have things to pay out for, and companies routinely have insurance for such rare occurrences. If the USCG/USN bill is on there, it'll get paid too. But take a moment to think about where the airdrops are actually going instead of automatically thinking it's some kind of free deal to Carnival.

I thought toilets were out for about 12 hours? 6am to 6pm Mon. or something?

Wouldn't a ship this size have some sort of emergency port-a-potty system, even if it's just a holding tank and some actual port-a-potties? I think it'd be a health requirement, if the cabin toilets can be out of commission so easily.

I also think if they allowed people back into their cabins once emergency power came on (Mon. evening?) that means there is some form of emergency lighting in cabins, or portable. Again, a safety thing. All they need is injuries aboard from people fumbling around in pitch black cabins.

I don't think the people got a great deal or a lousy one. They're basically being

'reimbursed' for what they originally purchased and weren't delivered-- one cruise with transportation to/from it. No one is probably enjoying water and sea rations and emergency conditions, so this is hardly a 'free cruise'.

Is it traumatic? I guess it's what you make of it. Losing my vacation would be a big drag, but it wouldn't scar me for life. Being on a floating hotel off the Baja with the Coast Guard towing me back to port probably wouldn't either. But to each his own. I've been on dead ships in worse conditions.

Guests scheduled to sail on this voyage will receive a full refund of their cruise fare and air transportation costs, along with a 25 percent discount on a future cruise.

Wait a minute. What happened to the FREE cruise they were supposed to receive?! Oh, heck, no! I thought even a free cruise to make up for this debaucle wasn't enough but now they've been downgraded to 25% off a future cruise?!? Oh, wait, this lovely experience is "free"! :rolleyes:

While I understand that there are MUCH WORSE experiences to be had in this world, and most of the passengers probably feel safer now knowing that they're being helped. Imagine the sheer panic they must have felt when the power first went out, the boat stopped, the fire alarms went off...and they're stuck in the middle of the ocean. I already get a little panicky when I think about being "out in the middle of nowhere" if, god forbid, something like that were to happen. And for something like that TO happen! I have no doubt people were flipping the f' out--full-on panic attack mode! It's quite likely that people, such as older passengers with weakened hearts, may have died during the ordeal--we don't know that yet. Are most passengers "okay" now? Probably. Were any of them in any "real" danger? Maybe not. But that doesn't diminish the absolute terror that I can only assume many of them felt on Monday. And for people to be commenting about how "lucky" these people are because they're currently on a "free vacation" is beyond my comprehension. Sure, there are much worse fates to be had; for instance, these people don't even come close to the ordeal of the Chilean miners. But, please people, you've read on this board how people complain about the most ridiculous things--vacations RUINED because {gasp!} someone in jeans was seated at their dinner table(!) or they had to wait TWO WHOLE MINUTES for a drink refill! :rolleyes: I think these poor people on Splendor have "won" in the contest of who had the worst cruise! :rolleyes:

I don't think the people got a great deal or a lousy one. They're basically being

'reimbursed' for what they originally purchased and weren't delivered-- one cruise with transportation to/from it. No one is probably enjoying water and sea rations and emergency conditions, so this is hardly a 'free cruise'.

Yes, they are getting reimbursed for this cruise, but they are also getting a free future cruise.

**Edit - Wait, did that change? is it only 25% off now? :confused:

Yes, they are getting reimbursed for this cruise, but they are also getting a free future cruise.

**Edit - Wait, did that change? is it only 25% off now? :confused:

Ahh, thanks. That's generous enough, I think. I still would rather keep my original vacation, though.

Oh, my bad! I just skimmed it, it was 25% off for the people due to travel on the ship next!

Just saw this on John Heald's Blog. Looks like they are cancelling next week's cruise.

Hi Everyone,

Stephanie again. Here’s the latest update on the Carnival Splendor.

Miami, FL — November 9, 2010 (8:15 pm EST) — At approximately 6 am Monday morning (U.S. Pacific Standard Time), a fire was detected in the aft engine room aboard the cruise ship Carnival Splendor. The fire was extinguished. There were no injuries to guests or crew.

The ship has been operating on auxiliary generators and engineers have been unable to restore additional power to the vessel. Thus far, one tug boat has reached the ship and has begun towing with additional tugs en route to expedite the vessel’s return.

Given the ship’s speed and current position, we have decided to take the vessel to San Diego where it is expected to arrive late Thursday. Additionally, we are in the process of making all the necessary hotel and flight arrangements for our guests. If the ship is unable to maintain sufficient speed under tow, it is possible that we could revert to the previous plan and dock in Ensenada.

Last night, the ship’s engineers were able to restore toilet service to most cabins and all public bathrooms, as well as cold running water. Currently several key hotel systems, including air conditioning, hot food service and telephones, are not available. The ship’s crew continues to actively work to restore other services.

Guests are able to move about the ship and food and beverage service, along with some shipboard programming, including children’s activities and entertainment, are being provided.

The vessel’s command is in contact with the U.S. Coast Guard which has deployed assets to the cruise ship’s location and is assisting in providing additional provisions which became necessary due to the lack of refrigeration on board.

Guests on the current voyage will be receiving a full refund along with reimbursement for transportation costs. Additionally, they will receive a complimentary future cruise equal to the amount paid for this voyage.

Carnival Splendor was on the first leg of a seven-day Mexican Riviera cruise that departed Sunday, Nov. 7, from Long Beach, Calif. The ship’s normal itinerary includes stops in Puerto Vallarta, Mazatlan and Cabo San Lucas, Mexico. The ship, which measures 113,000 gross registered tons and first entered service in July 2008, is carrying 3,299 guests and 1,167 crew.

Carnival has also made the decision to cancel the Nov. 14 seven-day cruise from Long Beach.
Guests scheduled to sail on this voyage will receive a full refund of their cruise fare and air transportation costs, along with a 25 percent discount on a future cruise.

“We sincerely apologize to our guests for this unfortunate situation and offer our thanks for their patience and cooperation during this challenging time. The safety and comfort of our guests is our top priority and we are doing everything we can to allow them to return home as quickly as possible. We also apologize for having to cancel the next voyage of the Carnival Splendor. We realize how much guests look forward to their vacations and we know how disheartening it is to have their plans disrupted,” said Gerry Cahill, Carnival’s president and CEO.

First off.Thanks for the Navy,Coast Guard and others for their efforts to make this situation safe and at least a bit more tolerable.

None of of know how we would react if we were on board.I'm sure most who say they would be traumatized would adapt quite well while some who say they would take it well would be the most traumatized.

I couldn't imagine having an inside cabin in the first 24 hours.At least those with balcony's or windows had a place to get away from it for a while.

:cj

Yes, according to this now only 25% off a future cruise!

Plus refunding of the cruise fare and air transportation costs. Considering those folks will never step on the 'hell ship', I think that's fair. The ones on the ship will get their refund and a free cruise still.

I have been watching it on the news the last few days. It will be interesting

to read their reports when they get back. I did hear they get their money back plus a future free cruise.

I wouldn't be upset as long as the cruise line comes through with the offers.

Worse things could happen whether on board or off.

Jan. 29th we set sail on the Oasis. Can't wait.

Absolutely. As Aquahound says, this is a sound use of our resources. If this happened off of, say, England, I would imagine the English would send their assets to help as well.

I would guess that these folks are scared, tired, and just wanting to be on land. I've traveled a lot, and I love cruising, but my biggest fear is being "stuck" out at sea. I saw an interview last night with a guy whose mother is on the ship and she can't swim. Imagine being that woman; for us on land, it's easy to say that she won't have to swim to safety, but how do we know something else won't happen to the ship before it gets to land. When you plan for a cruise, you plan for a week of being pampered; if you plan for a week of camping, you expect something else.

I expect that the sailors on board are a welcome sight for these folks, as is the knowledge that the US is protecting them out there and is willing to do whatever it takes to get them home safely. If my loved ones were on that ship, I'd want everything possible done to ensure their safety, no matter what the cost.

Ryano - With respect, you are arguing your case as others are arguing theirs. I understand what you are saying, but I am leaning toward the traumatic side. No, it isn't a major earthquake, hurricane, etc, and I'm sure they are being taken care of, but for people without a whole lot of sea experience, an onboard fire followed by drifting crippled can certainly spark many fears.

And with all respect to you Paul, I have only been speaking for myself :) and I feel quiet comfortably saying this would not scar me for life or keep me from cruising again. I happen to be one of the ones you are talking about with "little sea experience".

The biggest complaint I have seen so far is no AC :rolleyes: That to me is laughable at best. Its 60 degrees out there last account I had! If you are in an inside cabin, grab a blanket and a pillow and go hit a nice place on top deck and sleep under the stars in a pool chair!

No different to me than camping of which I do MANY times a year.

I will admit the first few minutes I would be shaken up. Shortly after I knew the whole ship wasnt on fire or sinking, I would be fine. Again, that is just ME personally. No AC and eating rations a few days is NOT the end of the world.

I have no problem with others arguing their opinion. Wishing a rough life on me for mine is pathetic and just typical of how some mean and ruthless some can be on here.

Im done with this one. Yall carry on :) Im just saying I would NOT be one of the ones trying to sue the pants off of Carnival for my "traumatic experience" and would be just fine with the compensation offer they have made.

Even though it was not smoking that caused it - it still freaks me out to see folks half butting out their cigarettes in the casino, leaving their burning cigs in ashtrays that are filled with everything other than ashes, and watching these ashtrays smolder.......makes me nervous......

I am NOT trying to start a smoking debate here.....believe me. I'm just stating what makes me fearful!

As a smoker, I fully understand where you are coming from because these same things also make me uncomfortable as well. Nothing annoys me more than seeing what you described because it is sheer carelessness and there isn't any excuse for that.

I don't mind being restricted to the balcony or a "designated area" because it is in the best interest and comfort for EVERYONE. What does bug me though is that you have to hunt around for an ashtray. It grosses me out to walk down the halls and see glasses used for ashtrays that are left for housekeeping to pick up. Also, I cringe at the thought of tossing the refuse from an ashtray into the garbage cans because they never have a plastic bag in them to keep the ashes from scattering.

On a personal and responsible level, we settled this by bringing our own ashtrays and plastic bags. Hopefully more smokers will adopt this as well.

Who said anything about suing Carnival?

With approx 4000 passengers, I'd say there's a fair chance that someone will seek compensation above and beyond what Carnival is offering.

It's the unfortunate nature of our society. *shrug*

I wouldn't be traumatized because I'm an able bodied 45 year old with a tough, calm mind. But I'm going to be at sea in a few weeks on that same itinerary with my 10 year old daughter and infirm father on oxygen full-time, and that part might have me a bit on edge, on a 'dead' ship in emergency mode.

But if my dad has rum he's pretty flexible. All the more reason I need to get some rum runners before we sail. :D

Archived