Carnival Fire

kathyemma

Really feel bad for all the passengers on board. :( What a terrible way to start and end a vacation on such short note.

Glad to see Carnival is making it right and even going beyond. The compensation offer is more than fair IMO.

I was thinking the same thing as some other posters - alcoholic drinks - wonder if they are serving?

Kathy

No way to make ice or keep things cold. Nothing worse than warm beer! Got to stick to the hard stuff straight up. That would really get me going if they put on a drink on my sea pass card. Oh yeah, no power to run the computers for the sea pass system. No worries mon.

Cold food? How long can you keep stuff unrefrigerated? Everybody eat a lot really quickly, you may not have the buffet again tomorrow!

I wonder if they even have enough potable water on board that is not bottled. They probably can't run the desalinazation/osmosis processors to make their own drinkable water without power.

Hope they have power to keep the lights on at night. Now that would really spook me out.

Thanks for posting, even though I just started revisiting the Carnival thread, i would not have read about this for days. I agree that we are all concerned about our fellow cruisers, and should be informed no matter what board it's on.

That isn't a bad deal - basically two free cruises

I don't see how they got two free cruises. The cruise that they are being reinbursed for was only one day, and not a good one at that. It is nice that they will be able to go on a free cruise, but I bet most of them will have to pay additional airfare to go on that cruise, and won't take advantage of it.

...Currently several key hotel systems, including air conditioning, hot food service, flushing toilets and telephones are not available...

With everyone on the lido deck, I'm sure everyone's using the pool. and by using the pool i mean going in the pool. like 'going' lol.

now #2 is a different story...

:D

(sorry, terrible terrible situation, i'm just trying to keep things light)

If I was on that ship......I would ask for my 2 cruises and an open bar for 4 hours at Papa's and Beer in Ensenada before the Long ride back to Long Beach and then a free night on the Queen Mary.......Now that is the story I would love to tell friends and family. :)

Mike

That isn't a bad deal - basically two free cruises

I don't see how they got two free cruises. The cruise that they are being reinbursed for was only one day, and not a good one at that. It is nice that they will be able to go on a free cruise, but I bet most of them will have to pay additional airfare to go on that cruise, and won't take advantage of it.

If you read the announcement it says they are being reimbursed in full for the cruise they are on now and any transportation costs to get home and also for a future cruise in the amount they paid for this cruise.

That isn't a bad deal - basically two free cruises plus travel home and one AMAZING story to tell. Of course, wonder if some onboard might give up cruising.

I was thinking the same thing as some other posters - alcoholic drinks - wonder if they are serving? Of couse, with no working bathroom - I probably wouldn't be drinking anything anyways.

Kathy

It sounded like a bad deal to me. They didn't get a free cruise this time. They were on their first day. They only gave them a cruise to equal this one. They could have at least bumped up the room or something.

I really feel for those guests on board. Very unfortunate situation to have to deal with. No A/C down below means VERY HOT cabins and with no working toilets means a very hot and smelly cabin. Add to that no way for the ship to prepare hot meals for anyone. What Carnival is offering for the guests is good but I would not be looking at it as a "good deal". I for one would not want to be on this ship at the moment.

It will be interesting to read the comments by the guests on board once they return home. We will read everything from Carnival handled it great to they totally ignored our needs. There is only so much that a cruise line can do when something like this happens.

yeah after I posted I remembered they were on the first day of this cruise - so they are not really getting 2 free cruises. oh well. Would have been better if this happened on the last day. I could survive with cold food for weeks. I am sure they have plenty of juice and soda. But the lack of bathrooms. I would going nuts. We are well water - so when we lose power, we lose water. Whenever stroms come thru we all run around and fill up bathtubs with water so we can continue to flush.

It was just on the today show. They are going to be towed to a Mexican port.

Kathy

But why post it in the RCCL boards?

Why not? Most of us are interested in anything cruising and I, for one, rarely read the Carnival boards.

The news just reported the Splendor is adrift with no power. Best of luck to those passengers and best of luck to Carnival getting their ship back in order.

Well at least it sounds like Carnival is trying to compinsate them fairly, I figured they wouldnt cover travel cost unless you booked through the cruise line. I was thinking how many people were sitting and wishing they had taken insurance.

Hey its a crappy deal but it must be bad for it to completly disable the ship.

Why not? Most of us are interested in anything cruising and I, for one, rarely read the Carnival boards.

The news just reported the Splendor is adrift with no power. Best of luck to those passengers and best of luck to Carnival getting their ship back in order.

I agree. I saw a blurb about this on twitter yesterday, and thought "Oh, that's a bummer."

But reading it this morning, and seeing that there's no AC, no working toilets, etc., I'm thinking "what a nightmare!" Honestly, I didn't even think about that yesterday. Hopefully it will get RCCI and everyone else to double check their contingency plans for something like this.

I don't know if I'd want to take another cruise after that. If I were in that position, my first thought would probably just be getting back on land and finding a nice bathroom. Compensation would come later.

After your initial relief that the ship is not going to sink, I guess you would be thankful. At that point, you find out your cabin will be a HOT (no pun intended) MESS. No AC, no toilet, not much in the way of food. I'm sure they will think about the compensation after they get to a decent bathroom and restaurant on land. YIKES!!! I can't wait to see the posts and interviews from the passengers when they get back on land. What a horror story for the passengers and the crew.

Actually, the toilets are now working.

From USA Today:

UPDATE, 8:01 AM ET: A Carnival spokesman tells USA TODAY engineers on the Splendor have restored power to the ship's cabin toilet system, and running cold water also has been restored to cabin bathrooms. Other systems remain down.

Actually, the toilets are now working.

From USA Today:

UPDATE, 8:01 AM ET: A Carnival spokesman tells USA TODAY engineers on the Splendor have restored power to the ship's cabin toilet system, and running cold water also has been restored to cabin bathrooms. Other systems remain down.

Ok, but they still had about 24 hours with no working toilets. 3000 passengers and one day of no working toilets and no AC and nowhere to go? Yikes.

tugs will get there today, it will take another day or two to get to port.

update

http://carnival-news.com/2010/11/08/status-update-on-carnival-splendor/

"Currently several key hotel systems, including air conditioning, hot food service, and telephones are not available. Last night, the ship’s engineers were able to restore toilet service to all cabins and public bathrooms, as well as cold running water. The ship’s crew continues to actively work to restore other services."

Ugh. I would kill my dh if he peed off the balcony. If I have to suffer - he would have to suffer. That would be a good time to be a boy.

Kathy

Knowing Aquahound, I'm sure that he was merely suggesting that it's good to have a balcony for the fresh air, and not as a makeshift toilet. ;)

It sounded like a bad deal to me. They didn't get a free cruise this time. They were on their first day. They only gave them a cruise to equal this one. They could have at least bumped up the room or something.

They gave them all of their money back for this cruise AND a free future cruise. That sounds like a really good deal to me.

Archived