Oosterdam Review, Mexican Riviera, 10/30/10 - 11/6/10

photomikey

My wife and I, both in our early thirties, with our 10 month old daughter, cruised with my parents, in their late fifties. We just returned from the Mexican Riviera. We had adjoining VD balconies, that we booked at (IMHO) an incredible steal, for around $750/pp. I believe we were staterooms 4043 and 4045 on the Upper Promenade deck. 4043 is the room just off the elevator/stairwell all the way forward on the ship.

Embarkation was easy, despite traveling like a pack mule due to the needs of a 10 month-old. We arrived around noon, just as they announced the ship was ready to board, but there was a long line ahead of us, then a short wait between checking in and boarding. By the time we were called aboard, staterooms were ready and we proceeded directly to the room.

The room was great. Smaller than I remembered, but just what we needed. The balcony was huge (our first balcony), the VDs in these ships have a balcony just a tiny bit bigger than those above, although it juts out a foot or two past all the other balconies. The loss of privacy was not an issue, but serving as a crumb catcher for 6 decks above you is a little annoying, especially when you have a 10 month-old hoover crawling around. The room steward (Roni) introduced himself and I invited him in to remove the automatic-closers from our adjoining doors and to swing the door open between the balconies. Having one huge balcony was a real treat, you could really stretch out and let Jr. crawl between the two. Also (and I hadn't anticipated this), the balcony is basically a childproof space. No electrical hazards, nothing breakable, can't fall off the ship, and can't get back inside. A welcome change from the room, which is full of baby land mines.

The ship is decorated just like it was when it was first laid into the water in 1983, with teal and purple making up the majority of the carpets, the chairs, the drapes, and the walls. The purple and teal walls are adorned with giant art made of brass and faux-gold, with brass and faux-gold trim basically everywhere.

Oh, wait, the Oosterdam didn't have her maiden voyage until 2003. How do they explain all those hideous colors and decorations?

The staterooms were rough around the edges, showing heavy wear in various spots. The more elegant of the public areas looked as good as new, but the heavier used areas (Lido, spa) looked well used.

Lido food was delicious, but had gone down a notch from past visits on HAL ships. Not much variety, no snazzy presentation, and so-so quality. That said, I certainly made use of the waffle bar, the omelette station, and (especially) the sandwich station. Someday I hope to take one of those 110 day cruises, and eat a different sandwich every day for lunch.

We had As-You-Wish-Dining, although we'd wished for fixed early, and didn't get it. Coming aboard we made a reservation for 6pm, and when we walked up come 6pm, our table was ready. Service was... sluggish (especially for a guy holding a tired baby), but we figured we'd work out the kinks night 2.

Night 2 I phoned ahead and asked for something with a wake-view. I figured it'd be a No for sure, but I got a "no problem" and on arrival come to find we are seated against the rear windows, dead center, 15 minutes before sunset. Stunning. Service this night took 2.5 hours (I checked my watch this time) and none of us (including the baby, asleep on my lap) were really thrilled by it. We discussed the situation with Alex (some sort of officer assigned to the dining room) who assured us he would alleviate the problem tomorrow.

Night 3, extended the reservation for the same table out for the rest of the cruise. Arrived in the dining room and they'd shortened their 2.5 hour service time by at least ten minutes, perhaps fifteen. Alex bought us all a glass of wine to make up for it. It didn't, but it was a nice gesture.

Day 4 I suggested we make our way down to the dining room after breakfast and examine the dinner menu, and have the whole shebang delivered. SUCCESS! The Dining Room was happy to provide menus for us to take back to the room and order via room service. Room Service delivered a 4 course meal for 4 all on one rolling cart. We appointed one of us to run each course, and dined on our balcony every night for the remainder of the cruise. The perfect solution.

The three ports bear a striking resemblance to one another, with the exception of Cabo San Lucas, which looks more like a mexican restaurant located in Oklahoma, but the size of a whole city... which is to say it's a caricature of itself. We didn't do any shore excursions, just walked around each city, sometimes with a taxi ride here or there. The sea was especially rocky in Cabo, which being a tender port, was a thrill excursion of it's own.

Overall, it was a great trip. We spent A LOT of time on the balcony and in the stateroom this time around, the extra cash for the VD was well worth it. The service was good, as was the food.

I'm happy to answer questions, if you have them.

Thank you for your review.

Glad you had a wonderful cruise.

BUT -- the Oosterdam did not sail until 2003:

Overview

Email this Ship

View ms Oosterdam slideshow

Officially christened in 2003 by Her Dutch Royal Highness, Princess Margriet of the Netherlands, the ms Oosterdam is the second in our series of Vista-class ships. As such she embraces the latest industry and environmental technologies such as her use of a diesel-electric power plant for optimal energy efficiency and an Azipod propulsion system that maximizes maneuverability.

Symbolic of Holland America Line's more than 135-year history of circumnavigating the globe, the centerpiece of the ms Oosterdam is a magnificent Waterford crystal globe, prominently displayed in a three-story atrium. First-time cruisers aboard this ship will quickly recognize the traditional touches that make Holland America cruisers regulars: a warm palette of colors accentuating an extensive use of crystal, marble, inlaid woods and brass, lovely flower arrangements, priceless artwork and antiques and a full wraparound teak promenade deck with padded deck chairs.

Guests on the ms Oosterdam will be able to "show and tell" their vacation memories through the Digital Workshop powered by Windows®. Free workshops led by Microsoft-trained "techsperts" will show even the most novice camera or computer user how to take better vacation photos, make movies, edit pictures and create scrapbooks using a variety of Microsoft Windows and Windows Live services. Guests will learn how to share all their digital memories through email, blogging and social networking — so friends and family can see where they've been cruising even before they return home.

Join us aboard the ms Oosterdam in 2009-2010 for a Mexican Riviera cruise, an exploration of the Panama Canal or a European cruise vacation.

Thanks for the review, we also enjoyed the "O" two summers ago in the Med.

We have usually had good success with dining room turn around eating as early as you were. I would like to say it was a hit or miss item but sounds like it was a problem every night, not good.

Kirk

Thanks for the review. We've done the Oosterdam twice now and agree there are issues in the DR with As You Wish dining. Also not crazy about the overall decor, but that's just HAL's style. I think the exterior looks lovely and all the teak decking and chairs are wonderful, but the interior dates the ships.

We've also travelled with a young baby (she's 9 now and a veteran cruiser) and know full well what that is like. Keep at it. Cruising is great for families and HAL tries very hard to please.

I have eaten in other HAL dining rooms, but never with a stopwatch. It felt long before, but when you're enjoying yourself (and have no schedule to keep), who cares if dinner takes two hours or more? Just was different this time around, with a baby in tow. Once we found room service on the balcony, we were happy every night.

We felt well taken care of and welcome everywhere we went with the baby. Seemed like every crew member would stop and admire her, and tell us about their own kids -- and many fellow passengers, too.

My biggest problem with the decor was the inconsistency... I agree that the teak deck chairs on the promenade and the sports deck were wonderful, as were many of the formal lounges. But a teal and purple Lido? Who would ever choose that.

Thanks for the review. We've done the Oosterdam twice now and agree there are issues in the DR with As You Wish dining. Also not crazy about the overall decor, but that's just HAL's style. I think the exterior looks lovely and all the teak decking and chairs are wonderful, but the interior dates the ships.

We've also travelled with a young baby (she's 9 now and a veteran cruiser) and know full well what that is like. Keep at it. Cruising is great for families and HAL tries very hard to please.

Sorry we're not going to see you in 9 days on the big "O"..looks like you decided to take a pass this year...I'm hoping we learned some lessons from last year's T-Day cruise re the MDR!!! :eek:..as in...we may do the Pinnacle several nights and the Italian restaurant that is part of the Lido several nights..may do the MDR just on T-Day to get the turkey! How did you enjoy the Diamond cruise? Ours was super!! in fact thinking about taking the portion you all do in early '12....LuAnn

My wife and I, both in our early thirties, with our 10 month old daughter, cruised with my parents, in their late fifties. We just returned from the Mexican Riviera. We had adjoining VD balconies, that we booked at (IMHO) an incredible steal, for around $750/pp. I believe we were staterooms 4043 and 4045 on the Upper Promenade deck. 4043 is the room just off the elevator/stairwell all the way forward on the ship.

Embarkation was easy, despite traveling like a pack mule due to the needs of a 10 month-old. We arrived around noon, just as they announced the ship was ready to board, but there was a long line ahead of us, then a short wait between checking in and boarding. By the time we were called aboard, staterooms were ready and we proceeded directly to the room.

The room was great. Smaller than I remembered, but just what we needed. The balcony was huge (our first balcony), the VDs in these ships have a balcony just a tiny bit bigger than those above, although it juts out a foot or two past all the other balconies. The loss of privacy was not an issue, but serving as a crumb catcher for 6 decks above you is a little annoying, especially when you have a 10 month-old hoover crawling around. The room steward (Roni) introduced himself and I invited him in to remove the automatic-closers from our adjoining doors and to swing the door open between the balconies. Having one huge balcony was a real treat, you could really stretch out and let Jr. crawl between the two. Also (and I hadn't anticipated this), the balcony is basically a childproof space. No electrical hazards, nothing breakable, can't fall off the ship, and can't get back inside. A welcome change from the room, which is full of baby land mines.

The ship is decorated just like it was when it was first laid into the water in 1983, with teal and purple making up the majority of the carpets, the chairs, the drapes, and the walls. The purple and teal walls are adorned with giant art made of brass and faux-gold, with brass and faux-gold trim basically everywhere.

Oh, wait, the Oosterdam didn't have her maiden voyage until 2003. How do they explain all those hideous colors and decorations?

The staterooms were rough around the edges, showing heavy wear in various spots. The more elegant of the public areas looked as good as new, but the heavier used areas (Lido, spa) looked well used.

Lido food was delicious, but had gone down a notch from past visits on HAL ships. Not much variety, no snazzy presentation, and so-so quality. That said, I certainly made use of the waffle bar, the omelette station, and (especially) the sandwich station. Someday I hope to take one of those 110 day cruises, and eat a different sandwich every day for lunch.

We had As-You-Wish-Dining, although we'd wished for fixed early, and didn't get it. Coming aboard we made a reservation for 6pm, and when we walked up come 6pm, our table was ready. Service was... sluggish (especially for a guy holding a tired baby), but we figured we'd work out the kinks night 2.

Night 2 I phoned ahead and asked for something with a wake-view. I figured it'd be a No for sure, but I got a "no problem" and on arrival come to find we are seated against the rear windows, dead center, 15 minutes before sunset. Stunning. Service this night took 2.5 hours (I checked my watch this time) and none of us (including the baby, asleep on my lap) were really thrilled by it. We discussed the situation with Alex (some sort of officer assigned to the dining room) who assured us he would alleviate the problem tomorrow.

Night 3, extended the reservation for the same table out for the rest of the cruise. Arrived in the dining room and they'd shortened their 2.5 hour service time by at least ten minutes, perhaps fifteen. Alex bought us all a glass of wine to make up for it. It didn't, but it was a nice gesture.

Day 4 I suggested we make our way down to the dining room after breakfast and examine the dinner menu, and have the whole shebang delivered. SUCCESS! The Dining Room was happy to provide menus for us to take back to the room and order via room service. Room Service delivered a 4 course meal for 4 all on one rolling cart. We appointed one of us to run each course, and dined on our balcony every night for the remainder of the cruise. The perfect solution.

The three ports bear a striking resemblance to one another, with the exception of Cabo San Lucas, which looks more like a mexican restaurant located in Oklahoma, but the size of a whole city... which is to say it's a caricature of itself. We didn't do any shore excursions, just walked around each city, sometimes with a taxi ride here or there. The sea was especially rocky in Cabo, which being a tender port, was a thrill excursion of it's own.

Overall, it was a great trip. We spent A LOT of time on the balcony and in the stateroom this time around, the extra cash for the VD was well worth it. The service was good, as was the food.

I'm happy to answer questions, if you have them.

Just curious what VD stands for? And yes, you might want to use another acronym if you get my drift :D

Thanks for the review PhotoMikey. My husband and I are booking this cruise for early next year.

Did your Verandah cabin have a mini fridge/mini bar?

Thank You.

I have a disabled inside cabin booked- would like to know if refrigerator/cooler is available in my cabin as well.

Did your Verandah cabin have a mini fridge/mini bar?

I have a disabled inside cabin booked- would like to know if refrigerator/cooler is available in my cabin as well.

On all the Vista ships (Zuiderdam, Oosterdam, Westerdam, Noordam), and both Signature ships (Eurodam, Nieuw Amsterdam), and the Prinsendam, there is a fridge in every cabin.

On the S-class (Statendam, Maasdam, Ryndam, Veendam), and R-class (Rotterdam, Volendam, Zaandam, and Amsterdam), every cabin with a balcony has a fridge.

Sorry we're not going to see you in 9 days on the big "O"..looks like you decided to take a pass this year...I'm hoping we learned some lessons from last year's T-Day cruise re the MDR!!! :eek:..as in...we may do the Pinnacle several nights and the Italian restaurant that is part of the Lido several nights..may do the MDR just on T-Day to get the turkey! How did you enjoy the Diamond cruise? Ours was super!! in fact thinking about taking the portion you all do in early '12....LuAnn

Sorry, LuAnn... Looks like we're going to pass this year. We'll be on the Rotterdam in December instead, so will wave as we leave SD and think of you.... Hope you have a fabulous time and please let me know how it compared to last year's experience. Were we just unlucky or does HAL not listen to anything???

Loved our Diamond cruise.... Really had a lovely time. We won the progressive trivia competition, which was hilarious. Trivia Champions of the Diamond P.... We met up with Paco and Herminio, maitre'd's from other ships we've been on and that was nice because they gave us great tables every night.... We had a good meet and greet and did some excellent private tours with CC members. Really a good trip. Are you on facebook??? My China pics are on there. Funny, we'd love to do your segment next time!! You have my e-mail.. Please keep in touch and give the big O my regards... Till next time....

At 8 months, my daughter wasn't eating much solid food, and we would have had to bring along a suitcase full of baby food. At 11 months, she could eat just about anything you could squish with your fork. Even still, you are dealing with what the lido has available, which isn't always what an 11 month old should eat.

At breakfast, nab a couple of extra boxes of Cheerios to get you through the day.

Ports were no trouble - we bought an umbrella stroller for the trip, and it was just about in bad enough condition to pitch it after, but for $15 not a bad investment. We didn't have any trouble anywhere in port.

Honestly, the only thing I wish I'd have known was that the service in the dining room would be so incredibly slow that we shouldn't even attempt it. Luckily we had a balcony room, and we could eat on the balcony... otherwise I don't know what we would have done. The lido is downright depressing at dinner, and I wouldn't want to eat in a regular room... too much like dining in the bedroom.

Sorry, LuAnn... Looks like we're going to pass this year. We'll be on the Rotterdam in December instead, so will wave as we leave SD and think of you.... Hope you have a fabulous time and please let me know how it compared to last year's experience. Were we just unlucky or does HAL not listen to anything???

Loved our Diamond cruise.... Really had a lovely time. We won the progressive trivia competition, which was hilarious. Trivia Champions of the Diamond P.... We met up with Paco and Herminio, maitre'd's from other ships we've been on and that was nice because they gave us great tables every night.... We had a good meet and greet and did some excellent private tours with CC members. Really a good trip. Are you on facebook??? My China pics are on there. Funny, we'd love to do your segment next time!! You have my e-mail.. Please keep in touch and give the big O my regards... Till next time....

I love Progressive Trivia- our team won on the RCL Mariner of the Seas on my last cruise- can't wait to do it again!

Thanks for your review! We'll be on her next Sat. We've got the anytime dining also, we'll see how it goes, nice that there are some alternatives. Appreciate your honesty about the decor & bit of wear in the cabins, we've only sailed on new ships, so we'll know what to expect, as long as the ship is clean, is surrounded by water & has fully stocked bars;), we're good to go!

Oh- did you get to the gym? My DM is interested to find out if they have the Palates "Reformer" machine.

I got near the gym, on the way to and from the thermal pool and the heated loungers. But it's against my cruising religion to loiter in the kind of place where one would workout on vacation!

As to the cleanliness, I felt it was very clean. Seldom was a time you could walk down a hall without seeing someone polishing a railing.

Archived