Splendor, Splendor, Splendor Combined Thread

ChaylaT

Does anyone else find it strange that not one passenger has been able to make contact with the real world?

Nowadays with global phones, etc. it is somewhat of a surprise to me. Do you think Carnival can restrict the communications coming off the ship including phone and internet? It seems to me that people have there own mobile networks they travel with and can communicate at any time.

I find it even more surprising that one of our CC members hasnt made it online somehow to post their review at this point (lol).

Not all cell phones work on the ship cell towers. I noticed that with my cell phone, it wont connect to cellular at sea but will connect to other towers that are inland

One thing Homeland Security doesn't make public knowledge of is, you don't legally need documentation to cross INTO the US if you're a US citizen. You can be prevented from leaving the country but not from coming in. A land crossing makes this much easier and the agents will work with you to help establish your identy.

Let's hope that's still true. It'll make their trip home just that much easier. :)

We, as adults, can wrap our head around what is going on and deal with in a way that works best for us. GOD bless those with very young children on board, the kids don't understand and can't wrap their little heads around it. They are no doubt very unhappy, and tend to share that unhappiness with all around them.

This is silly. I live 45 minutes north of Ensenada and there has been little or no cartel violence in northern Baja, except in Tijuana. Further, the cartels are fighting against each other for control, not terrorism! No tourists or foreign residents have been affected at all. Ever.

Ensenada has a nice port; it is the jump off port for a Carnival RT to Hawaii. To do that, they bus passengers back and forth from San Diego... happens all the time. This is a bonanza for the charter companies, who will take passengers from Ensenada, along the beautiful Pacific Ocean coastal highway in northern Baja back to Long Beach.

Granted it's not the same area of the border...but that guy on his jet ski got shot and killed not too long ago.....

I agree it is not ideal in any way shape or form. There are probably many people for whom no amount of compensation can get back what they missed (possibly a last cruise with an ill loved one, missing a wedding....)

However, given that this has happened and given that absolutely nothing in the world can change that fact, the only control you have is how you respond. If that is my only option, I would try my hardest to try to go with the flow and not get myself into a tizzy about things I have no control over.

These people still have a rough time ahead of them with probably horrifically chaotic disembarkation and a long bus ride with lots of other people who have not bathed in a few days :eek:. That would be when my mood started to turn south. "Moving the herd" is always an unpleasant thing for me and the thought of getting off that ship, getting on a bus, finding your luggage......ugh. I would have to dig deep at that point to see the adventure, LOL.

I dont think there are issues in Baja - I think the major problem areas are border towns. And I dont think it is ridiculous to be concerned especially since there are travel alerts specifically for this reason. And you are wrong - there have have americans killed in Tijuana in the last couple of years. They were kids traveling over the border to party - but killed nonetheless.

I am not slamming Mexico - I love Mexico and have spent alot of time all over the country my entire life. But I do think right now it is a valid concern coming back across the border. That is all I was saying.

I don't wish to be an alarmist but I am really surprised that Carnival is not pressing all of their west coast fleet into service to pick up passengers in Ensenada for disembarkation in Long Beach.

I would want to know how tight security will be for the caravans of buses that will be headed to the U.S. I'm not thinking illegal aliens - but more drug cartels who are beyond out and out war with not only each other but the Mexican government as well.

Cruising attractive beach resort ports on the western coast just ain't the same as being an attractive target in the middle of no man's land in the desert.

I really don't mean to sound alarmist -- but the hairs on the back of my head are standing up as I had been considering this very cruise again for summer of 2011 with my nieces.

Carnival -- are you listening???

We, as adults, can wrap our head around what is going on and deal with in a way that works best for us. GOD bless those with very young children on board, the kids don't understand and can't wrap their little heads around it. They are no doubt very unhappy, and tend to share that unhappiness with all around them.

You kidding? They sleep, they eat, they play.

They're probably having a ball.

These people still have a rough time ahead of them with probably horrifically chaotic disembarkation and a long bus ride with lots of other people who have not bathed in a few days :eek:. That would be when my mood started to turn south. "Moving the herd" is always an unpleasant thing for me and the thought of getting off that ship, getting on a bus, finding your luggage......ugh. I would have to dig deep at that point to see the adventure, LOL.

There is only cold water, no hot water so if people wanted to they can still take a shower to bathe as long as they dont mind a cold shower

I don't wish to be an alarmist but I am really surprised that Carnival is not pressing all of their west coast fleet into service to pick up passengers in Ensenada for disembarkation in Long Beach.

I would want to know how tight security will be for the caravans of buses that will be headed to the U.S. I'm not thinking illegal aliens - but more drug cartels who are beyond out and out war with not only each other but the Mexican government as well.

Cruising resort ports on the western coast just ain't the same as being an attractive target in the middle of no man's land.

I really don't mean to sound alarmist -- but the hairs on the back of my head are standing up as I had been considering this very cruise again for summer of 2011 with my nieces.

Carnival -- are you listening???

Buses sure sound like a better option to me....

Oh, goody. I always wondered about the outcome. Will read this thread soon after I finish this one. Thanks for posting.:)

Got home and checked in on what I missed while at work today at USA Today travel...

UPDATE, 8:01 AM ET: A Carnival spokesman tells USA TODAY engineers on the Splendor have restored power to the ship's cabin toilet system, and running cold water also has been restored to cabin bathrooms. Other systems remain down.

UPDATE, 10:29 AM ET: Carnival says in a statement that the tugboats that will tow the Splendor to Ensenada are expected to arrive at the vessel today around midday local time. The line has not released an estimate as to how long it will take to tow the ship into port.

UPDATE, 1:35 PM ET: The US Navy says it has diverted the aircraft carrier USS Ronald Reagan to help deliver needed supplies to the Carnival Splendor, which remains adrift off the coast of Mexico with limited power. In a statement, the Navy says 35 pallets of supplies will be transferred tonight from a Naval Air Station in California to the aircraft carrier, from which they will in turn be transferred to the Carnival Splendor via a helicopter.

When you read that the Navy is diverting an aircraft carrier to deliver 35 pallets of emergency supplies to the Splendor, doesn't sound like they will be docked in Ensenada anytime soon.

Sounds like the Spledor is going to be down and out for an extended period of time, if they still can't restore most ship functions.

Good luck to all on there.

Hopefully most were smart enough to bring their passports.

Bill

Excuse me???? Am I not allowed to have my own opinion?!?!?! Geezus

I would call a death of someone I love freaking catastrophic.

tbjl24:

You do realize that you're trying to talk logically to someone who would consider The Achille Lauro incident....fun....because it didn't sink. :)

I bet the most crowed room on that ship right now is the chapel...and I'm not a religious person....

One thing Homeland Security doesn't make public knowledge of is, you don't legally need documentation to cross INTO the US if you're a US citizen. You can be prevented from leaving the country but not from coming in. A land crossing makes this much easier and the agents will work with you to help establish your identy.

Actually we drove into Mexico with no problem. If you get the green light you drive on in. If you get the red light you have to pull over and they might check your car with the dog.

Otherwise when you leave Mexico is when you have to show your ID. Tell them what you bought, because technically you can only have 2 bottles of tequilla or booze each and 1 carton of smokes.

We had to show are DL but had our BC with us. No problems. They also have the dogs walking around the vechicles while you are in line to get out. It is stop and go traffic. Like a toll booth. Each car goes in. Trucks get pulled aside and the dogs and mirror inspectors are there.

The border is a specticle really. People selling stuff for about 3 miles. right on the side of the road. So if you forgot something just tell someone and they'll get it for you. Its a sight.

How does one prove that one is a US citizen? Are the DL, and birth certificates that one needed to board the ship..good enough in a situation like this?

I'm from Canada, so if I was on that ship, I'd already have my passport anyways.

I imagine that it will be a mad panic to get off the ship. Everyone will have to pack up their belongings and get ready to disembark without AC or elevators. It will be hard on some people with physical limitations. I just hope that everyone stays calm and cooperates. There will be complainers, but I hope they wait to do that once they get home, and not incite others into a panic. The whole situation is bad enough without some loudmouth voicing his/her useless opinions.

Let's hope that all goes well for everybody. ;)

Joyce :D

There is only cold water, no hot water so if people wanted to they can still take a shower to bathe as long as they dont mind a cold shower

Maybe a few 'top and tails' cleansing is going on, LOL. I would probably be one of those people for sure.

Reminder to self: pack baby wipes for next cruise:D

Got home and checked in on what I missed while at work today at USA Today travel...

When you read that the Navy is diverting an aircraft carrier to deliver 35 pallets of emergency supplies to the Splendor, doesn't sound like they will be docked in Ensenada anytime soon.

Sounds like the Spledor is going to be down and out for an extended period of time, if they still can't restore most ship functions.

Good luck to all on there.

Hopefully most were smart enough to bring their passports.

Bill

if all goes well with the tugs, she dock in port tomorrow night

Archived