Just a Westerdam Experiment?

travelmatron

Just my humble opinion, as I am not a "suite" person - if this is an experiment (no bottle of champagne, limited room service breakfast, etc.) and you want to nip it in the bud, I would suggest you write head office now to complain, before they roll this out fleet-wide.

Thanks Ruth,

I had understood that champagne had to be produced from a certain region in France to be entitled to the term Champagne.:)

Yes, that's my understanding, too. Other wines are loosely called "champagne", and are made using the same method.

They're calling sparkling wine "champagne".

You are right Ruth, that is what it was. We didn't bother to open it and told our room stewards it was their's if they could have it without getting into trouble. It was not worth taking home for us since we really do not drink due to medications.

We didn't bother to open it and told our room stewards it was their's if they could have it without getting into trouble. It was not worth taking home for us since we really do not drink due to medications.

Cabin stewards are unlikely to want it as they are probably Muslim, and may not drink.

Do you know that you can turn your "champagne" in for a credit toward something else? Perhaps you can get a better wine, a cocktail, or a couple of sodas out of it instead.

Our roll call friends who were in a suite hosted an "open house" for our 60 or so members and had plenty of hors d'oeuvres for all.

When you attend a party in someone's suite and there are more than a couple plates of hors d'oervres, the host has paid extra for those nibblies - They're not free.

In the past, if among your guests are other Suite occupants, they would send complimentary hors d'ouerves for (4) for each Suite guest at the party. Presumably they still do that.

They did do that...they did not want to, but after some lengthy discussion hors d'ouerves were served.

The Deluxe Suites listing still shows it.

Deluxe Suites Include all the Superior Suite amenities, plus:

•Complimentary laundry, pressing and dry cleaning throughout your cruise

•Complimentary champagne and bottled water provided in suite upon embarkation

•Premium duvet, oversize bath towels and soft, cotton bathrobes and slippers

•Gorgeous corsages and boutonnieres for the first formal night

•Hors d'oeuvres served before dinner each evening on request

•Binoculars and umbrellas for your use on the cruise

•Cocktail party with ship officers

•Priority boarding for tender ports of call

•Special disembarkation service

•Priority dining and seating requests

•Exclusive daily breakfast service for suite guests only

•High tea service in suite on request

•A special Suite guest lunch event on cruises over 7 days in length

•A very special amenity exclusively for guests cruising in a Deluxe Verandah Suite or Penthouse Verandah Suite, the industry-leading Neptune Lounge features a private place to relax, socialize with other suite guests and enjoy the personalized service of a concierge. The fleet-wide lounges provide worktables, large screen television, library, sofas and chairs, refreshments throughout the day and wi-fi for a small charge. One-Touch 24-hour Concierge Service is available when the Neptune Lounge is closed.

A special Suite guest lunch event on cruises over 7 days in length

This was a seven day cruise but we did have a special lunch (with wine) in the Pinnacle. If that replaced the 'champagne' then it's an improvement.

The lunch was really good and ya'll have repeatedly said that the faux-champagne isn't.

The Deluxe Suites listing still shows it.

Deluxe Suites Include all the Superior Suite amenities, plus:

•Complimentary laundry, pressing and dry cleaning throughout your cruise

•Complimentary champagne and bottled water provided in suite upon embarkation

•Premium duvet, oversize bath towels and soft, cotton bathrobes and slippers

•Gorgeous corsages and boutonnieres for the first formal night

•Hors d'oeuvres served before dinner each evening on request

•Binoculars and umbrellas for your use on the cruise

•Cocktail party with ship officers

•Priority boarding for tender ports of call

•Special disembarkation service

•Priority dining and seating requests

•Exclusive daily breakfast service for suite guests only

•High tea service in suite on request

•A special Suite guest lunch event on cruises over 7 days in length

•A very special amenity exclusively for guests cruising in a Deluxe Verandah Suite or Penthouse Verandah Suite, the industry-leading Neptune Lounge features a private place to relax, socialize with other suite guests and enjoy the personalized service of a concierge. The fleet-wide lounges provide worktables, large screen television, library, sofas and chairs, refreshments throughout the day and wi-fi for a small charge. One-Touch 24-hour Concierge Service is available when the Neptune Lounge is closed.

That was on the 'general page' I believe, when I went to an individual ship and looked at staterooms -- it had disappeared:

this from the Maasdam:

Suite amenities include:

• Complimentary laundry, pressing and dry cleaning throughout your cruise
  • Premium duvet, oversize bath towels and soft, cotton bathrobes and slippers
  • Gorgeous corsages and boutonnieres for the first formal night
  • Hors d'oeuvres served before dinner each evening on request
  • Binoculars and umbrellas for your use on the cruise
  • Cocktail party with ship officers
  • Priority boarding for tender ports of call
  • Special disembarkation service
  • Priority dining and seating requests

• Exclusive daily breakfast service for suite guests only
  • High tea service in suite on request
  • A special Suite guest lunch event on cruises over 7 days in length
  • Neptune Lounge: A very special amenity exclusively for guests cruising in a Deluxe Verandah Suite or Penthouse Verandah Suite, the industry-leading Neptune Lounge features a private place to relax, socialize with other suite guests and enjoy the personalized service of a concierge. The fleet-wide lounges provide worktables, large screen television, library, sofas and chairs, refreshments throughout the day and wi-fi for a small charge. One-Touch 24-hour Concierge Service is available when the Neptune Lounge is closed.

Nothing like consistency on the same site.

Now I'm getting all nervous. We just booked our first HA cruise - on the Westerdam, for this February and we took the deluxe suite because the perks sounded nice and we do like the extra space that suites give you. I don't really care about champagne/sparkling wine in my cabin but the breakfast of my choice out on my verandah is something I look forward to. (Easy to get on Celebrity.)

I am worried that perhaps some of the reasons we booked this cabin category and this cruise line aren't going to be there/offered to us and perhaps we should have gone on the Celebrity Eclipse instead. (The other cruise we were considering.)

We usually book suites but for a just booked HAL cruise we decided against it because you seem not to have many benefits compared to other lines.

We have a Cunard suite starting Saturday. Real champagne, bar set up in room and replenished as needed, room service from any menu in any restaurant that is open and the price is lower than HAL per day.

Paul

We usually book suites but for a just booked HAL cruise we decided against it because you seem not to have many benefits compared to other lines.

We have a Cunard suite starting Saturday. Real champagne, bar set up in room and replenished as needed, room service from any menu in any restaurant that is open and the price is lower than HAL per day.

Paul

Those ARE nice suite benefits indeed. Though Cunard always has been still almost "class" based with different MDRs for different cabin category grades.

HAL does need to be consistent with amenities. And to phase it out without warning or it being off the site for a long term is tacky if that is their plan.

Marti,,,,,,,,

What does this mean, please? I can't make out what your signature means.

Thanks.

Sail - those are waves and fish. I didn't see it right off either.
I figured out the fish, but I thought the other stuff was "bubbles". :)

Our first sailing on HAL was OCT 30 Eurodam.

Didnt get the champagne until the next day when I fought for it, and I was informed that I could only order from the hang tag for breakfast. No pancakes, waffles, etc.

I had done my due dilligence so I knew what was standard, (from all of my great CC friends) and I definately didnt get it. I will post my review soon so you guys can read it.

I hope that HAL does not continue to do this, because besides some really MAJOR issues that I am sure were flukes, we really loved HAL.

Our first sailing on HAL was OCT 30 Eurodam.

Didnt get the champagne until the next day when I fought for it, and I was informed that I could only order from the hang tag for breakfast. No pancakes, waffles, etc.

I had done my due dilligence so I knew what was standard, (from all of my great CC friends) and I definately didnt get it. I will post my review soon so you guys can read it.

I hope that HAL does not continue to do this, because besides some really MAJOR issues that I am sure were flukes, we really loved HAL.

I had really hoped this was only an experiment on the Westerdam. As it happened I also got a bottle after questioning the change in policy, but I'm sure if enough people don't ask for it, it will be gone. I just hate starting a cruise feeling I have to ask for things I have come to expect.

don't know if this will help, but we were just off eurodam 11/13/10 til 11/20/10 and had none of these problems. we had room service breakfast in our SB suite every morning and wrote in what we wanted-some examples: eggs benedict, bangers, smoked salmon, poached eggs, etc.- and was no problem. occasionally received extras though! had water and champagne in suite at embark along with fresh ice. we also attended small coctail party in another deluxe suite and neptune provided nice hors d'oeuvers. this was our first cruise and were so spoiled that we booked another while onboard! i know these are little things, but you do pay extra for them and are therefore expected.

Paul

having just completed our very first cruise and having no comparison, would you be kind enough to share with me what cunard is like and their prices. i fell in love with cruising and already booked again, but wondered if we should try another line. if you would rather email, that is fine. just identify yourself somehow so i open message. thanks! becky . jmeadors@windstream.net

Cabin stewards are unlikely to want it as they are probably Muslim, and may not drink.

Do you know that you can turn your "champagne" in for a credit toward something else? Perhaps you can get a better wine, a cocktail, or a couple of sodas out of it instead.

Thank you, RuthC. Our TA always sends us a bottle of wine, which we never consume. We just leave it in the cabin for the steward or the next couple. This time we'll try turning it in and see if we can get a cocktail or two. This is really, really good to know.

Archived