Just a Westerdam Experiment?

travelmatron

On Westerdam’s Eastern Caribbean cruise last week we were surprised by three changes in policy. I think it was just to see what the reaction would be, and I don’t expect them to last, but it will be interesting to hear what others recent experiences are.

First; there was no champagne from the ship waiting for us in the suites. We asked about it in the Neptune Lounge and were told that our cabin stewards would bring us each a glass of champagne later. (The crew was far too overwhelmed with the extra screenings done at the end of the transatlantic cruise, and trying to deliver baggage with no elevators working for this to be even a possibility).

Second; room service breakfast (even during the hours the MDR was open), was limited to the room service menu items, no substitutions were allowed. Scrambled eggs were delivered instead of the requested Eggs Florentine, and a note of explanation, that only room service items could be ordered was on the tray. In asking about the policy change, again in the Neptune Lounge, we were just told that the policy was no substitutions. Since we have enjoyed ordering evening meals from the dining room menu (during the hours the dining room is open) delivered to our cabin, I called the dining room to see if that service was being discontinued too. They told me the limitation was only for breakfast.

Third; our roll call had a “cabin crawl” where we went as a group to see each others cabins. (It was great fun since we had a lot of categories represented). I had invited everyone back to our cabin for hors d’oeuvres at the end of the tour, but when I talked with the staff in the Neptune Lounge to make arrangements I was told that the hors d’oeuvres are limited to an amount serving four. I expressed surprised since I’ve done this before, but again was told this is the policy. Fortunately for me they were able to bend the rule when I noticed that 6 of the cabins on the tour were suites, so that would cover serving 24 people if we combined our allotment.

Now certainly none of this is life or death type stuff. Just three quick disappointments that may not appear again. It is humbling to know though, that no matter what your anticipations are, policy can change, and "past performance is no guarantee..." oh, you know the line.

This is interesting. I will say that when we were on the Eurodam this past March, we did not have champagne in our suite. I had read somewhere on this board that our cabin steward would bring us a glass but he never did. Hmmm. That was fine since we don't drink champagne but a nice bottle of wine would have been nice.

They sure haven't cut the price we're paying for suites. It isn't okay for them to cut what we get for our money.

Can't state it any more bluntly than that.

For me, those changes are unacceptable.

First they say Suites can't go to Pinnacle for two or three days and now they tell us the severe limitations on Room Service.

I hope there are many from HAL both on the ships and in Seattle reading this. Stop taking away from suites what they are paying for.

We had the usual water and champagne when we sailed Maasdam in August and Eurodam in October but unless I misunderstand OP's post, this is something new they are experimenting on Westerdam? Everyone (including suites) have always been able to order what we wanted for breakfast.

We had the usual water and champagne when we sailed Maasdam in August and Eurodam in October but unless I misunderstand OP's post, this is something new they are experimenting on Westerdam? Everyone (including suites) have always been able to order what we wanted for breakfast.

I BELIEVE this was an experiement, I don't know if it was just on the Westerdam or also on other ships. There was a kind of stonewalling response to the question, "When did the policy change?" The uniform response was "The policy is..."

We were on the Westerdam last January and were given one glass of Champagne, instead of a bottle. There were 3 suite cabins on our roll call, and no one got a bottle of Champagne. On later Westerdam cruises the Champagne bottle came back, so I was surprised at the one glass per person policy again on this cruise. Everyone has always been able to place special orders during the MDR hours of operation, so this was completely new to me, and not just a suite thing.

We are cruising on the Westerdam in January and Im very disappointed to hear about room svc breakfast limitations, having breakfast on my verandah is one of my favorite aspects of cruising warm weather destinations.

HAL, don't do this, please!

I BELIEVE this was an experiement, I don't know if it was just on the Westerdam or also on other ships. There was a kind of stonewalling response to the question, "When did the policy change?" The uniform response was "The policy is..."

We were on the Westerdam last January and were given one glass of Champagne, instead of a bottle. There were 3 suite cabins on our roll call, and no one got a bottle of Champagne. On later Westerdam cruises the Champagne bottle came back, so I was surprised at the one glass per person policy again on this cruise. Everyone has always been able to place special orders during the MDR hours of operation, so this was completely new to me, and not just a suite thing.

I'm thinking I got myself all riled up about a 'one time' sort of thing but who knows...... we'll find out soon on Maasdam.

When we sailed Westerdam, we had all the usual amenities including champagne chilling in the silver bucket and full room service breakfast.

I should know better than to get 'crazy' until I know more about an issue.

Sorry.

We assumed that we'd be getting a bottle of champagne because that's what it says on the HAL site - so they need to change their site to avoid unhappy customers.

No glass from the steward either.

But as much to drink as we wanted at the captain's cocktail party and more at the suite luncheon in the Pinnacle (which was quite good), so no complaints.

However, they need to make the descriptions fit their service.

We are cruising on the Westerdam in January and Im very disappointed to hear about room svc breakfast limitations, having breakfast on my verandah is one of my favorite aspects of cruising warm weather destinations.

HAL, don't do this, please!

I'm sure I wasn't alone in expressing my disapointment, and look forward to hearing what happened this week. Everyone may already be back to being able to order MDR options for room service breakfast, so you may be just fine in January. I think it's important to that we realize that policies CAN change, and if something is great we remember to say so. If something is not so good, we need to mention that too.

Oh-oh. This is sounding too much like another "test" on one ship, to be rolled out to the others.

I'm not in a suite, so the lack of faux "champagne" doesn't impact on me, but others are expecting to get what they would have gotten on a different ship.

The room service breakfast, as listed on the hang tag, is already quite extensive, but we have all gotten used to the idea that we can order off the dining room menu, too. Just as with the "champagne", we don't want what we are used to taken away.

We just returned from the Ryndam today. We did have a bottle of champagne and 2 large bottles of water in our suite at embarkation. Also a cocktail party in the Neptune and another in the Crow's Nest. Plenty of champagne at both. The Pinnacle was open for breakfast every day and we were also offered a suite lunch there. We do not order room service, so I can't answer what the policy was for that. We were so impressed with everything that we booked on the ship for another dlx. suite on the Westerdam next month, so I hope things are back to normal then. I would be disappointed after having such a fabulous experience on the Ryndam.

Is it possible things were a little topsy turvey on Westerdam because of the generator problem and her leaving port late after embarkation especially given it was her first call back at a U.S. port from being away so long?

Is it possible things were a little topsy turvey on Westerdam because of the generator problem and her leaving port late after embarkation especially given it was her first call back at a U.S. port from being away so long?

I don't think that was it. The generator issue was always addressed as just that, and the scheduled late start (after the transatlantic) was always addressed as anticipated. Our cabin stewards were exhausted after having to haul so many pieces of luggage up the stairs when the elevators were shut down for two hours (trying to fix the generator), but breakfast was unrelated. Later in the cruise before we docked in San Juan we recieved a different room service breakfast. This one had only 3 choices: Continental, Sunrise, and Health Conscious. I was able to ask the hotel manager if this was going to replace the 'normal' breakfast menu and she said it was just for days when we docked very early. It was as we chatted that I felt the other issues were a trial run. She did NOT use those words, just my impression.

Everything Cheryl said in her OP I agree with. I was there with her and another person when the question about the bottle of champagne came up, very evasive answer. No glass from the stewards either. As for the breakfast menu I wanted hot cereal from room service, wasn't available this trip. Other items not available either. This is when we either went to the Pinnicle or the Lido. BTW, the grits in the Pinnicle were like water, very yukky to put it mildly, told the waiter and there was no answer back, I just let it go.

I don't think the generator had anything to do with the food or other changes. We sail again the end of Feb., it'll be interesting to see what is there or not there this trip.

I think for the money we pay for the suites we should get what we thought we were getting as written by HAL. It didn't change our enjoyment of the cruise just a little disappointed not to get what we were promised.

I've been waiting and waiting since we got back for my bed to be made, food delivered and my laundry done. Guess they can't find my house.:p Back to reality and clothes drying on the racks all over the house.:eek:.

Thanks Cheryl for saying what I wanted to say. :)

We just got back from the Veendam's repositioning cruise and didn't notice anything different. Our roll call friends who were in a suite hosted an "open house" for our 60 or so members and had plenty of hors d'oeuvres for all. He didn't feel he'd missed any perks and ate his way through daily tea and snacks regularly.

We didn't use room service much for breakfast, but I'm sure we ordered things like chocolate croissants that weren't on the the menu, and got them.

Come to think of it, though, I didn't notice any hot appetizers in the Crow's nest before dinner. I wasn't a regular, as I tend to use the time before dinner for non-liquid relaxation, so I can't be considered an expert.

On Westerdam’s Eastern Caribbean cruise last week we were surprised by three changes in policy. I think it was just to see what the reaction would be, and I don’t expect them to last, but it will be interesting to hear what others recent experiences are.

First; there was no champagne from the ship waiting for us in the suites. We asked about it in the Neptune Lounge and were told that our cabin stewards would bring us each a glass of champagne later. (The crew was far too overwhelmed with the extra screenings done at the end of the transatlantic cruise, and trying to deliver baggage with no elevators working for this to be even a possibility).

Second; room service breakfast (even during the hours the MDR was open), was limited to the room service menu items, no substitutions were allowed. Scrambled eggs were delivered instead of the requested Eggs Florentine, and a note of explanation, that only room service items could be ordered was on the tray. In asking about the policy change, again in the Neptune Lounge, we were just told that the policy was no substitutions. Since we have enjoyed ordering evening meals from the dining room menu (during the hours the dining room is open) delivered to our cabin, I called the dining room to see if that service was being discontinued too. They told me the limitation was only for breakfast.

Third; our roll call had a “cabin crawl” where we went as a group to see each others cabins. (It was great fun since we had a lot of categories represented). I had invited everyone back to our cabin for hors d’oeuvres at the end of the tour, but when I talked with the staff in the Neptune Lounge to make arrangements I was told that the hors d’oeuvres are limited to an amount serving four. I expressed surprised since I’ve done this before, but again was told this is the policy. Fortunately for me they were able to bend the rule when I noticed that 6 of the cabins on the tour were suites, so that would cover serving 24 people if we combined our allotment.

Now certainly none of this is life or death type stuff. Just three quick disappointments that may not appear again. It is humbling to know though, that no matter what your anticipations are, policy can change, and "past performance is no guarantee..." oh, you know the line.

Uh Oh.......... Not sounding good at all!!!! Even though we do not drink, I plan on having some of our CC members to our stateroom for Sail Away and a couple other times during the cruise. I planned on being able to serve them the champagne and appetizers from NL....

Hope, I really and truly hope this was only on your cruise.... but we shall see. Hubby will not be happy.

And room service??? Not being able to order anything but what is on the Breakfast menu??? Sheesh, guess they want us all in one of the regular dining venues:(

Hubby wants to know, could the lack of bottled champagne be because of the Code Orange/Red the first 48 hours? He says that if they cannot bring Ice Buckets.... His question not mine...

Joanie

We just got back from the Veendam's repositioning cruise and didn't notice anything different. Our roll call friends who were in a suite hosted an "open house" for our 60 or so members and had plenty of hors d'oeuvres for all. He didn't feel he'd missed any perks and ate his way through daily tea and snacks regularly.

We didn't use room service much for breakfast, but I'm sure we ordered things like chocolate croissants that weren't on the the menu, and got them.

Come to think of it, though, I didn't notice any hot appetizers in the Crow's nest before dinner. I wasn't a regular, as I tend to use the time before dinner for non-liquid relaxation, so I can't be considered an expert.

Thanks for confirming the hors d'oeuvres were normally part of the suite perks. When I tried to set them up for our cruise critic group I was hitting a brick wall on their four/suite policy until my husband got frustrated and asked why in the world they wouldn't want a group from cruise critic to be able to chat after seeing 11 different cabins. I was frankly getting worn down from all the "no's" I was getting from the Neptune Lounge in the first 24 hours of the cruise.

Again if I may, please.

The concierges are Front Office staff. They rotate into Neptune Lounge to do certain length of time as Concierges. They work under Guest Relations Manager. If you are not getting the service you require, are disturbed by responses you are getting or have any other issue, I suggest you request a chat with Guest Relations Manager to work out any issue.

Again if I may, please.

The concierges are Front Office staff. They rotate into Neptune Lounge to do certain length of time as Concierges. They work under Guest Relations Manager. If you are not getting the service you require, are disturbed by responses you are getting or have any other issue, I suggest you request a chat with Guest Relations Manager to work out any issue.

Thanks Sail, I will remember to do that if necessary:) I appreciate it as I was beginning to worry.

Joanie

We were in a suite on the Oosterdam last month. We did receive the bottle of champagne and specialty water. We tried to add eggs benedict to a room service breakfast order (during breakfast hours in the MDR) and got over-easy fried eggs instead with no explanation. The breads we ordered (usual MDR but not on the room service menu) didn't come either. We "ordered in" only once; on a morning of early scenic cruising, because usually we went to the Pinnacle so perhaps it was just a badly-filled order--a one-time thing.

The Pinnacle was open for breakfast everyday. Regarding hor d'oeuvres, it seemed when we ordered them for ourselves there were always enough for at least 6-8 people (and it was sad to waste some of them!) but we did overhear a gentleman arranging for a larger order at the Neptune Lounge and the prices for them were being discussed. Of course I have no idea how much larger the group was, the circumstances, etc. so that may not be information that's useful at all.

It will be interesting to see what comes of this "experiment" if that's what it was.

HI there... I am in a SA Category cabin this Friday on the Westerdam. I was also in an SA cabin in April of this past year on the Noordam and had no issues with the amount of food to order from Neptune and got a bottle of champagne as well. I will report back upon my return. Thanks for the heads up!

Most of the above posters state that you get champagne in your deluxe suite. We have only received a bottle of sparkling white wine, the last lot was not drinkable and we emptied it down the sink.

So, my question is How many times to stay in a Deluxe suite before receiving the Champagne? Or, do you call sparkling wine "champagne".?

Archived