How many bags....

2SeaWithMe

I was beginning to get really nervous reading all the posts about only packing in carry-ons. Sure glad I kept reading and find that I'm not the only one who packs in full size bags... Especially since I have three suitcases and a carry-on sitting on the bed ready to close up and take to the ship on Sunday!

I confess I'm in the group who take everything but the proverbial kitchen sink. Hey - as long as we can drive to the port I'll pack it all. When we fly I do try to be a bit more conservative with what I pack.

OK, I had to wade in on this. We packed:

2 Garment Bags

2 LARGE suit cases

2 wheeled carryons

Laptop

To make this a little more interesting is that we are living in Tennessee at the moment. Last week I drove to Florida with all this luggage so we could fly down for the cruise on December 3 without going broke with the luggage fees and overweight charges; my wife packs a lot into those bags.

I don’t complain because if I need something she ALWAYS has it.

We will take a large garment bag for formal wear and one large suite case each. We will also each have a carry on.

When we're spending over $5k on a 14 day cruise, $50 for an extra suit case doesn't seem to matter.

Exactly, I've found that I'm going to pack exactly like I did when you were allowed 2 bags each at no charge. It's just now you figure it into the cost of your vacation.

OK, I had to wade in on this. We packed:

2 Garment Bags

2 LARGE suit cases

2 wheeled carryons

Laptop

To make this a little more interesting is that we are living in Tennessee at the moment. Last week I drove to Florida with all this luggage so we could fly down for the cruise on December 3 without going broke with the luggage fees and overweight charges; my wife packs a lot into those bags.

I don’t complain because if I need something she ALWAYS has it.

Perhaps you were going there anyway but what did the gas there and back cost you?

Exactly, I've found that I'm going to pack exactly like I did when you were allowed 2 bags each at no charge. It's just now you figure it into the cost of your vacation.

Perhaps you were going there anyway but what did the gas there and back cost you?

I have to bring 20 horses down to Florida before winter. I scheduled one load to coincide with taking the luggage for the cruise. Will take the second load down to pick the luggage up.

Cost has no impact on on our packing. It really comes down to our desire to travel with less. We picked up this habit on extended land trips. We just could not be bothered to lug the stuff all over the show....along cobbled streets, into trains, etc.

Cost has no impact on on our packing. It really comes down to our desire to travel with less. We picked up this habit on extended land trips. We just could not be bothered to lug the stuff all over the show....along cobbled streets, into trains, etc.

Exactly .. that's where I learned to pack light now I can't imagine lugging all that stuff.

I have a question, how does everyone do it with families? We are a family of 3, and have been cruising since my daughter was 8.

Anyways, we each take our own suitcase, then one family garment bag so that's 4 suitcases total. Plus carry ons. I mean I realize that's tons of money for flying especially recently, but I feel like we don't pack a ton in our suitcases, though we are huge on souvenirs. I guess we fit into that category of we must take everything!

And we used to try and take non-stop and do whenever possible but living in the heart of the US that is impossible to do almost.

That's exactly how we figure it. My daughter is known for stuffing as much as humanly possible into a bag and it barely being underweight, and on the return trip all the clothes fit nicely into her backpack that she uses.

We've tried to pack light yet spend tons of money on things we forget, like one year we forgot my daughters dress shoes, had to buy some in Ft. Lauderdale, thankfully we flew in a day before, and we were staying across the street from a nice strip mall that also had a Walgreens. We bought some stuff there that we had also forgotten.

Archived