How many bags....

2SeaWithMe

One, a 21" rollaboard, and, I share a garment bag with wifey for my Tux.

My wife on the other hand, doesn't pack quite as light as I do. She packs a 24" rolling duffle, a 20" rollaboard (this holds mostly her shoes, sneakers, hair products, etc), along with dresses in the shared garment bag.

One carry-on and a tote bag where I stash my make-up bag, and one pair of shoes.

I can pack for 2 weeks with a carry-on. I haven't checked luggage in years, I won't do it.

The last time we checked luggage (because we had wine and had no choice) we waited at JFK for one and half hours until it appeared on the carousel. We had a driver waiting for us since the flight was not delayed, he had to keep circling.

If it doesn't fit in a carry-on it doesn't go. There are two things I refuse to do when flying - check luggage and take a non-nonstop flight.

One carryon (20 inches) and one bag which is the next size up, usually 24-25 inches. Just did a month away from home, two weeks in Europe followed by the 14 day transatlantic with those two bags. The larger bag came in at 38 pounds going to Europe, 45 pounds coming home.

Wish I could say that I would only take one carryon and only book nonstop flights, but that can't be done going abroad.

We're not doing a b2b, but spending days with friends, so totally different clothing needs. We're also not flying, but I agree...I always try to not check bags if possible!

For two people...three suitcases, one small duffle and a garment bag...excessive? The two smaller suitcases are considered carry-on size. The other one is massive and I might combine one of the smallest ones into it, but I want to leave room for stuff, too...

Of course, this is a vast improvement over my first cruise when I packed three large suitcases just for myself. lol I like to have anything I might possibly want...

I also make lists of outfits by day, and than take alternates...I think I've become a little OCD as I get older here..

Not a lot as the airlines restrict you per person as to what you can take! We have no cruise ports near us so the minimum we have is 20kgs (airline restrictions) and the maximum (per case) is 23kgs with British Airways for us Brits so unless you want to have all your hands taken up with pulling cases in both hands (no thank you) if you go Premium Economy + whereby you get 2 x 23 kgs + hand luggage, we travel light and get things laundered! A gents kilt weighs very heavy however DH insists on bringing it for formal night meaning he has less weight for every day wear meaning laundry is required however we don't mind. If only we had a cruise port nearby we could bring the 90kgs or whatever they put as a maximum! The joys of being Scottish!

A Sixth! I must have that bag! Where did you find it?

I am also a firm believer in NO CHECKED BAGGAGE, but with three children, I have given in occassionally and allowed one large checked bag for the familly along with our carry ons.

Pretty sure this won't violate any CC rules.

Check out the High Sierra AT3 Sierra Lite series.... not cheap but best bags we have ever owned by a mile. We each have two... one 22 inch and one 26 inch.

The 26 inch one is just a tad over sized for air travel, but still fits thru the cruise ship scanners so no problem if drive to the port or for rail/ferry travel.

http://www.hssc.com/product?number=AT305&lang=en

AT305_207_apart.jpg

We would have 3 suitcases and one large Garment bag (the garment bag for the our formal attire, DW's gowns, etc) between the two of us, plus 1 carryon each.

The fact that US airlines charge for baggage is a nuisance but not an obstacle to us being comfortable. :)

Comfort has nothing to do with our luggage choice. We have more than everything we need on a cruise. We just travel better with less baggage. It also is a reality of our situation as we often do pre/post cruise travel where lite and lean is king

Being able to change flights at the airport gate is a HUGE benefit with carry on only. Once you're luggage is checked.... you can't switch planes

Pretty sure this won't violate any CC rules.

Check out the High Sierra AT3 Sierra Lite series.... not cheap but best bags we have ever owned by a mile. We each have two... one 22 inch and one 26 inch.

The 26 inch one is just a tad over sized for air travel, but still fits thru the cruise ship scanners so no problem if drive to the port or for rail/ferry travel.

http://www.hssc.com/product?number=AT305&lang=en

AT305_207_apart.jpg

Why is the 26" oversized for air travel? It specs at 26x14.5x15 = 55.5. Most airlines allows up to 62".

Why is the 26" oversized for air travel? It specs at 26x14.5x15 = 55.5. Most airlines allows up to 62".

It's too large on most international aircraft for Carry on. Fine to check of course... but we try to go just carry on when we fly.

FWIW we go higher end travel clothes to make traveling with just carry on possible. I am a big fan of the Tilley line of travel clothes. Instant dry, very tough yet light weight.

1271696692_UL33-8.jpg

For Dh and I...3 26" checked and one carryon. I would rather check bags than lug things through the airports...Next trip is for 2 months...still trying to cut the luggage to 2 checked and 2 carryon (with three/four checked for the return flight!)

I also love Tilley merchandise!

Archived