Language Barrier in Barcelona?

LittleMissS

I have a cruise booked 6 months from now, and plan on spending a few days in Barcelona before / after the cruise. Am I going to find the language barrier significant? (I don't know Spanish at all)

I was thinking of trying Rosetta Stone, as I'd hate to be in a country where I can't communicate. But at the same time, RS is rather expensive. Will I be able to find my way around using English? (and minimal Spanish?) Has anyone tried RS? Are there any other (cheaper) programs to try to learn Spanish? (I don't want to just buy a book...I don't think it's enough...I'd like to hear the pronounciation of the words) Thanks in advance!

You will be able to get around just fine if you can learn the basics: Hello, Goodbye, Please, Excuse Me, Thank You, How much is this?, etc., and for that you don't need Rosetta Stone, which is designed for people who want to be come fluent in a language, which you don't need to be. By the way, you will probably get an especially grateful response in Barcelona if you can learn those words and phrases in Catalan, as well as Spanish. In any event, relax; you will find many people who will speak English in the areas you're going to be touring. Europeans are quite accustomed to us monolingual Americans, but speaking a few words of their languages opens many doors.

Thanks for the info. The reason I was asking...in Paris this summer, I thought I'd get to try out my French. But everyone seemed to speak English, and I was able to get by with my limited French. So I'm assuming Barcelona is similar then? I wonder if I can find a phrase book for both Spanish AND Catalan? (Although I think it would be fun to learn Spanish and try it out)

Barcelona is going to be very similar, though they probably won't interrupt you quite so quickly with their English skills as the Parisians (think of Parisians not as rude, but just as French-speaking New Yorkers; we're both in a hurry and convinced of the superiority of our respective cultures). I suspect there's a Spanish/Catalan/English phrasebook available somewhere; Rick Steves, maybe? Anyway, have fun and enjoy the experience.

I like using bbc.com for learning "travel language"

You can see and hear it on your computer.

I always like to learn how to say:

I am sorry I don't speak ......(insert language) ....very well

Do you speak English?

I find that when I apologize, everyone is then very comfy trying out their English.

In Catalan you can say:

No mes(mase) parlo una mica (mee -kah)de(day) Catalan

"I only speak a little Catalan"

Parla ingles( par-lah eenglays)

Also in Catalan one says--Bon Dia-- for good morning/hello

Like in Spanish you'd say Buenos dias.

You will be fine in Barcelona in the main tourist areas with English.

Rosetta Stone would be hideously expensive overkill for a few pre or post cruise days in Barcelona.

I second the advice to learn a few phrases in Spanish (and Catalan if you feel like it, but I don't think it's truly necessary); I always think it's good manners to ask someone in their own language if they speak yours.

Do be prepared, however, for the fact that many taxi drivers in Barcelona do not speak Spanish, so you may want to have your destination written out in advance.

Have a great trip.

The reality is that when you are on the street if you are looking for directions or help you'll find that some of the locals will speak english and some will not. We find that if we have a map in hand that if we stop someone with a question about directions by pointing to the map that helps. But you'll be able to find somone who can help you either on the street or at a nearby hotel or store.

I would not go to the expense to learn Spanish but I would learn a few basic words.

Enjoy!

Keith

The reality is that when you are on the street if you are looking for directions or help you'll find that some of the locals will speak english and some will not. We find that if we have a map in hand that if we stop someone with a question about directions by pointing to the map that helps. But you'll be able to find somone who can help you either on the street or at a nearby hotel or store. I would not go to the expense to learn Spanish but I would learn a few basic words. Enjoy! Keith

Agree with Keith, Turtles, etc., that in larger cities such as Barcelona that knowing a few of the basics will be fine. In most parts of Europe in the larger cities, most of those younger are pretty "with it" in knowing and understanding some English. It might not be enough for a "conversation", but you and they can get by. It also helps to have studied your maps ahead of time and have a "sense" of the city and some basic landmarks/directions.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

For lots of interesting details, great visuals, etc., from our July 1-16 Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. Don’t be shy and feel free to ask any questions of interest. This posting is now over 24,900 views. Appreciate those who have “tuned in”.

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

I have not found any taxi drivers in Barcelona that did not know Spanish!! How could they work if they couldn't speak one of the main languages of the city???

The best thing to do when using a taxi and not knowing the language is to write down the address of wherever you are going. Don't just write down the name of the hotel but the address or at least the cross streets.

I have not found any taxi drivers in Barcelona that did not know Spanish!! How could they work if they couldn't speak one of the main languages of the city???

The best thing to do when using a taxi and not knowing the language is to write down the address of wherever you are going. Don't just write down the name of the hotel but the address or at least the cross streets.

YIKES, that's my error in my post above. Sorry, a true brain fart! I meant to say many of them don't know ENGLISH!

(I really wish CC would allow a poster to edit her own comments for longer than a few minutes after they are first posted. I could then correct this silly mistake.) Sorry again!!! Too much turkey!! :(

Yes I've (unfortunately) learned the lesson of writing down the hotel name. This summer, while abroad, I specifically told our cab driver the name of out hotel...yet we ended up at a different hotel (same name). It turns out that our hotel was literally two blocks away.

Took the Grand Med (Ruby Princess) this past summer. In Spain, Italy, Greece and Turkey. Began in Barcelona and ended in Venice. I'd say we encountered few language barriers and we were in Barcelona 3 days precruise and Venice 3 days post cruise.

Venice is a bunch of little back alleyways going all different ways and easy to get lost (but its small). I had forgotten to print out our hotel instructions but knew it was located near St Mark's Square. I asked one of the vendors who with fingers explained he only knew "leeta beeta english" yet between his little english, going slow so we could pick up some of his Italian and hand gestures we had no problem finding our hotel. We found later that if we'd kept looking it would have been easy to find others with better english but we still made it! You'll do fine. BTW, I took over 3 years Spanish back in HS eons ago and in Barcelona it helped little. Between not having used it in years and the fact that Catalon is slightly different, yet once again, in Barcelona particularly I found english widely spoken around tourist areas. Seems the farther away from main areas you go the harder it may be to find someone to help you using english but you'll be fine.

I found that many people spoke a little English--enough to help us. I also speak some Spanish, but not necessarily Catalan, but that helped, too. One thing you can do to help is write down some of the things you know you will be saying/asking, like: Where is------------- (Donde esta) How much is---------- (Cuanto cuesta-) That's too much------- (Demasiado) Then use a free translator like Yahoo Babelfish (it's free through Yahoo). Then you can write those out to use later. Learn some of the basic words for their answers, too, like calle or placa (street).

Yes I've (unfortunately) learned the lesson of writing down the hotel name. This summer, while abroad, I specifically told our cab driver the name of out hotel...yet we ended up at a different hotel (same name). It turns out that our hotel was literally two blocks away.

We did that in Hawii! :o Just as easy to do in English. P.S. The hotel on the beach was MUCH more expensive.:(

I always like to have a few words in the local language and feel quite stressed if I don't. OH, on the other hand is amazingly able to make himself understood with no great language skills - he uses a map, a smile and lots of arm waving - he even managed to take a bullet train and the underground train in Japan and the metro in Moscow,completely on his own. He's a braver man than me!

Archived