Rome timing

sandian

We have decided to do a ship tour next year in Rome, although it is basically just Rome on your own with a short walking tour thrown in.

My ? is we have 2 and a half hours on our own after visiting St Peters Basillica will this be enough time to see the Trevi Fountain and the Spanish Steps, has anyone any experience of this ?.

Thanks for any replies.

That's plenty of time. You can get a taxi in the square in front of St. Peter's basilica to take you to Piazza di Spagna, where the Spanish Steps are. It's only about three miles, and should take less than ten minutes.

From the Spanish Steps to the Trevi fountain is only a five minute walk (less than half a mile).

Where do you meet your ride back to the ship?

I'd use my 2 hours in Rome to see something more interesting like the Pantheon...

I agree. Personally, I'd walk from the Vatican to Piazza Navona, then to the Pantheon (my favorite in Roma) and then on to the Trevi Fountain.

Lew

I'd also recommend going to the Colosseum. Even if you don't go inside, it is a spectacular sight. (Metro line B has a stop right there.)

I don't know when you're going, but if it's hot out, I recommend taking buses/metro/taxi to get around Rome.

I agree with the comment that the Spanish Steps are overrated. I recommend seeing Trevi Fountain, the Pantheon, and Piazza Navonna. They are all pretty close to each other. And see the Colosseum either before or after those. Where is your meeting place to return to the cruise ship? That might affect which order these should be seen.

You will need to give a bit more information on the tour that you are taking. Like where the drop off and pick up point is. If it is the Vatican for both then it might be prudent to go to the other sites first and return to the Vatican and visit St. Peters last so that you are at the pick up point.You could start at the Colosseum, see parts of the Forum from the road, to Via del Corso to the Pantheon=Trevi Fountain=Piazza Navonna=along the Tiber=Castel San Angelo=Vatican Sq. Of course you will not be able to stop too long at each of the sites but is is a route that you could walk quite easily in about an hour to an hour and a half.

That's plenty of time. You can get a taxi in the square in front of St. Peter's basilica to take you to Piazza di Spagna, where the Spanish Steps are. It's only about three miles, and should take less than ten minutes.

From the Spanish Steps to the Trevi fountain is only a five minute walk (less than half a mile).

Where do you meet your ride back to the ship?

Afraid I dont know as yet but thanks for the info.

I'd also recommend going to the Colosseum. Even if you don't go inside, it is a spectacular sight. (Metro line B has a stop right there.)

I don't know when you're going, but if it's hot out, I recommend taking buses/metro/taxi to get around Rome.

I agree with the comment that the Spanish Steps are overrated. I recommend seeing Trevi Fountain, the Pantheon, and Piazza Navonna. They are all pretty close to each other. And see the Colosseum either before or after those. Where is your meeting place to return to the cruise ship? That might affect which order these should be seen.

We will see the Colloseum on our tour as well as St Peter in chains and the Bassilica

If your tour ends at St. Peter's, odds are your ride will leave from near there as well, it would be unusual for a group tour to drop you off and expect you to find a new location to meet.

Assuming that this is the case, you could do as I suggested (taxi to Spanish Steps, walk to Trevi) and then another taxi back to the Vatican to meet your group for the ride back. There is a taxi stand about 2/10ths of a mile from Trevi on Largo Chigi, just off of Via del Corno, in front of the Massimo Dutti store.

The Spanish Steps is one of the most overrated attractions in the whole city. Go instead to the Pantheon, St. Ignatius de Loyola basilica, Santa Maria Sopra Minerva, (these three are within a couple of blocks of each other), Piazza Navona and the Trevi Fountain. All of these are much more interesting than the Spanish Steps.

Agree very much on Spanish Steps. Nothing to see. There are two things we like about the Spanish Steps. There is a Amex office nearby where you can make rail reservations (not many travel agents in Italy do this any more) and get mail. There is also a MacDonalds nearby where you can use the facilities. That's the draw for us.

I would recommend Lew's itinerary but add a stop at Campo Fioria (sp) and then stop for a refreshment and people watching at one of the cafes facing the Pantheon. But you will not have too much time to waste.

If you want a gelato, buy it from somewhere like a Blue Ice store just off the Piazza Novona or Campo Fioria. Do not buy it near the Trevi Fountain unless of course you want to be hosed! Have a wonderful time.

Thank you all for your suggestions, will take them all on board it seems the Spanish steps are a no no which is fine. I can see we wont be short on things to see and do.

Thanks again for all your help really looking forward to this trip.

Archived