Wrong cabin reserved!

lunaxmars

So last March, I booked our honeymoon cruise. I spoke with a cruise consultant (who is conviently no longer with the company) who talked to me about the spa deluxe balcony on the Epic for March 2011. He told me there were only 2 left and that it was selling out fast. Understandable since the epic is amazing. So we booked it. Today I finally got the book they sent me about the epic and I wanted to check out where my room was. Turns out my reciept says that I have a spa balcony (minus the deluxe). I remember him specifically talking about the tub with me and how beautiful the room was going to be on my honeymoon. I haven't called yet since theyre closed for the night, but the worst part is that now they are all sold out of the spa rooms. So theres no way to fix it. And I have no proof that he offered me the deluxe room. I feel like I've been bait and switched and I have no idea how to handle this. (this would be my 4th cruise with norweigan) help.

Hopefully when you're able to talk to someone you'll be able to sort it out. If they're all sold out, however, there may be nothing that can be done. Fortunately you'll at least still have the spa access you were expecting.

I have a similar honeymoon story, oddly enough. When my husband and I arrived at our bed and breakfast just outside the French Quarter in New Orleans, we were told that they had no reservation for us, and while they had one room available for that night, they were booked solid for the rest of the week!!! I pulled out my documentation and explained that I had spoken to 'John' on the phone and he had confirmed my dates, and the manager/owner's face fell and she just shook her head and said, 'Yes... he's no longer with us...' and indicated that his constant screw-ups were the reason. For us it actually turned out well, though, since he had just gotten our dates wrong, so one of the rooms that was booked for the rest of the week had our name on it, and since they had to find a bed for us that first night, we ended up in a larger room with a private entrance and loved it. :)

Our honeymoon was like that. Things went 'wrong' all over the place and kept ending up really good - or at least not as bad as it could have been. One of our tour shuttles even got rear-ended by a semi!!! We still got to do our bayou tour and came home with a really interesting story. :)

I hope things work out well for you. I don't think it was a bait and switch, simply because I don't think the screw-up was intentional - as ours wasn't. People make mistakes, and sometimes we just have to accept it and go on. I understand that you are looking forward to being able to soak in the tub in the privacy of your own cabin, but if your honeymoon is anything like mine, you won't really care one way or another. The 'important' parts of the room will be there. :p

What room did they book you in? There's not a huge difference in the rooms, actually. I think some of the Deluxe rooms have bathtubs while the standard spa balconies just have showers, but neither of these rooms has the in-room hot tub if that's what you were referring to. I think that's the Spa Suite.

Hopefully when you're able to talk to someone you'll be able to sort it out. If they're all sold out, however, there may be nothing that can be done. Fortunately you'll at least still have the spa access you were expecting.

I have a similar honeymoon story, oddly enough. When my husband and I arrived at our bed and breakfast just outside the French Quarter in New Orleans, we were told that they had no reservation for us, and while they had one room available for that night, they were booked solid for the rest of the week!!! I pulled out my documentation and explained that I had spoken to 'John' on the phone and he had confirmed my dates, and the manager/owner's face fell and she just shook her head and said, 'Yes... he's no longer with us...' and indicated that his constant screw-ups were the reason. For us it actually turned out well, though, since he had just gotten our dates wrong, so one of the rooms that was booked for the rest of the week had our name on it, and since they had to find a bed for us that first night, we ended up in a larger room with a private entrance and loved it. :)

Our honeymoon was like that. Things went 'wrong' all over the place and kept ending up really good - or at least not as bad as it could have been. One of our tour shuttles even got rear-ended by a semi!!! We still got to do our bayou tour and came home with a really interesting story. :)

I hope things work out well for you. I don't think it was a bait and switch, simply because I don't think the screw-up was intentional - as ours wasn't. People make mistakes, and sometimes we just have to accept it and go on. I understand that you are looking forward to being able to soak in the tub in the privacy of your own cabin, but if your honeymoon is anything like mine, you won't really care one way or another. The 'important' parts of the room will be there. :p

Thanks for your positivity, you're right about the 'important parts' lol I couldn't help feeling gloomy. Also since the spa deluxe rooms are a little bigger and have the "spa decor". Plus its my fiance's first cruise- I really wanted him to be spoiled. But if there's anything my past cruises taught me, its that you're hardly ever in the room. :o We are booked in SB 14121.

To the OP: didn't you receive a confirmation soon after booking in March? What does the paperwork say?

I did. It's a situation where I could kick myself square in the pants. I didn't know the codes (SB & SDB) until now and I had a good relationship with my PCC. We kept in light contact over the months because he kept trying to send me a dvd and real photos of the rooms. So I didn't think to double check because I really trusted him. (major fail on my part) But nothing in our correspondances say anything about that specific room.

That would be awesome. I hope they can do something for me. Anything. Or else my bridezilla may come out. lol jk

No need to go all bridezilla on them. You probably paid for a Spa Balcony, not a Deluxe, so at least you're not out any money. The room is actually fine for 2 regardless of the extra 30 square feet.

That actually makes me feel better and care less now. It seems like all the official paperwork says spa balcony and the pricing corresponds. So I may not even call- at this point its pointless aggravation. But why do they have to make things so confusing?!

The so-called Spa Balcony and Spa Deluxe Balcony cabins do NOT have spa tub in the cabin - they are within close proximity to the Spa and access to the Spa is included in the price.

If you really want a Deluxe Balcony with a bathtub you can cancel your Spa Balcony cabin and get any Deluxe Balcony with the bump (bed) next to the balcony and RUN to the Spa when you board the ship to get the $199 couple pass (only 60 are sold on first come first served basis).

Deluxe Balcony with bump (bed) closer to door have larger shower but no tub, so be careful when choosing cabin.

The hot tub is in the spa suite. Some of the cabins might have tubs, I don't know, but the hot tub you are probably describing is the spa suite, which goes for about double, at least, of what you have! So if you were "had" it was most likely the hot tub description, which neither of the spa balcony cabins have. The confusing thing is that the picture for spa accomodations is of the suite, not the spa balconies.

What room did they book you in? There's not a huge difference in the rooms, actually. I think some of the Deluxe rooms have bathtubs while the standard spa balconies just have showers, but neither of these rooms has the in-room hot tub if that's what you were referring to. I think that's the Spa Suite.

You took the words right out of my mouth Mike. There are lots of cabins with "spa" in the name which can get confusing if you dont do your homework.

According to the NCL website Epic stateroom descriptions the Spa Balcony Deluxe rooms have shower only.

I think CanadianTwosome has it right. Sometimes when something seems to have gone "wrong" it can actually work out pretty well.

We were on the Epic with friends who had a Spa Deluxe Cabin. They had a tub and were very happy with the idea at first. Except that the tub has very high sides on it. By the end of the week they would have been happy to trade their tub for a shower so they didn't have to step up over that high side every time they wanted to get in the shower.

Unless you really had your heart set on sitting in a tub on your cruise, I think you'll be quite happy with the cabin you have.

I think CanadianTwosome has it right. Sometimes when something seems to have gone "wrong" it can actually work out pretty well.

We were on the Epic with friends who had a Spa Deluxe Cabin. They had a tub and were very happy with the idea at first. Except that the tub has very high sides on it. By the end of the week they would have been happy to trade their tub for a shower so they didn't have to step up over that high side every time they wanted to get in the shower.

Unless you really had your heart set on sitting in a tub on your cruise, I think you'll be quite happy with the cabin you have.

So true. We booked a mini suite so we could have a tub for our 2 boys (3+5 or 4+6 then) and all they wanted to do was take stand up showers. They would stand up in the tub to shower with the bath water. We do not know why they started showering on the ship, but it was a pain to step over the tub sides to shower and to wash them standing up. So maybe it was a good screw up! Who knows. Happy Honeymoon!!!!!

According to the NCL website Epic stateroom descriptions the Spa Balcony Deluxe rooms have shower only.

http://www2.ncl.com/cruise-ship/epic/staterooms/%252Fdeluxe%20balcony

Spa Deluxe Balcony EPIC EXCLUSIVE!

EPIC EXCLUSIVE!

Only on Norwegian Epic will you have the opportunity to experience all the Spa Deluxe Balcony Staterooms have to offer. With complimentary access to the Spa Stateroom complex, these exceptional spa décor accommodations provide a relaxing sitting area so you can enjoy your private balcony.

This is where stress and muscle aches instantly disappear and you’ll be pampered beyond your wildest dreams. You’ll receive complimentary entry to the Mandara Spa experience, including the thermal suites — the perfect place to unwind either before or after your spa treatments. Here you can indulge in heated tile lounge chairs, saunas, hydrotherapy pool, whirlpools and steam rooms. With soothing spa décor, curved walls, sitting area, private balcony, luxury bath and shower and two lower beds that convert to a queen, these three-guest staterooms have it all.

Archived