How Many Days in Barcelona?

LostFan#1

Our transatlantic cruise ends in Barcelona April 28, and we want to stay to see the city. We arrive early that morning, so we will have virtually that full day to get started. So, could we see a good deal in 2 full days (leave the 3rd day), or should we devote 3 days?

I realize opinions may vary widely. We enjoy walking and making the most of our hours sightseeing, wherever we are, if that helps.

Thanks.

Our transatlantic cruise ends in Barcelona April 28, and we want to stay to see the city. We arrive early that morning, so we will have virtually that full day to get started. So, could we see a good deal in 2 full days (leave the 3rd day), or should we devote 3 days?

I realize opinions may vary widely. We enjoy walking and making the most of our hours sightseeing, wherever we are, if that helps.

Thanks.

This is a real tough one to answer - so much depends on personal needs and whether or not you'll ever return to Barcelona.

On our first trip there, we stayed only two days prior to boarding, and that wasn't enough! Barcelona is a fascinating city and there's much to see....

The next two cruises, two days was enough - time to get over jet lag, and so some shopping and looking about.

Not knowing your future plans and what might interest you, I'd simply suggest one day to get acclimated, one day of guided tours or using the hop-on, hop-off bus, and a third day when you would get to the pier.

Others may have better ideas - but that would be what would appeal to us.....

This past January, we arrived in Barcelona late on a Thursday afternoon for a Sunday cruise, and did no sightseeing on that Sunday. On Thursday, after checking into our hotel, we walked around a bit, but of course were exhausted from the overnight flight. So essentially we spent two full days touring, and we packed in plenty, including an inside visit to Sagrada Familia, and going up into the towers. About the only thing we missed that I remotely wanted to see was Park Guell, and we probably could have done that if we'd really wanted to. The city is easy to get around, and you really can see a lot in two days. If we'd had a third day, I think we'd have used it to go to Montserrat, not stay in Barcelona.

I should add that because we were there in January, the crowds were probably a lot smaller than you'll encounter, and that might slow you down a bit. If it's not a big deal, you might want to add that third day so you don't feel rushed, and in case the spring crowds do slow you down, and, seriously, consider Montserrat. I have to say, although my partner and I enjoyed Barcelona, we weren't as "taken" with the city as so many others seem to be.

How many days will depend on what you want to see and do there. I suggest you read a little and then make a list of what interests you.That will help you decide.

So far, I have spent 8 full days in Barcelona and have not seen everything/done everything that interests me in the city!

My cruise embarks in Barcelona this summer. We are flying in three days before the cruise (we are arriving early in the morning...like you...and hope to start our day sightseeing), and one day after the cruise (for some "down" time, as I think we will be exhausted from our cruise. We're hoping to do a lot of sight-seeing, as well as taking a ay trip to see the Dali musuem (a an hr or two away). I'm hoping this is enough time to experience Barcelona. (obviously not ALL of Barcelona, but a nice chunk of it)

Barcelona is an amazing city! Hubby & I stayed 4 nights at the Atrium Palace prior to our 12 night cruise. The first night was pretty much a waste since we were tired from a long flight. We bought a hop on/hop off bus tour (2day) and saw quite a few sights of the city (la Sagrada, Parc Gruell, Mont Juic (Sp), la Rambla, etc.) Another awesome experience was the Magic Fountain show. We took the subway to the fountain (exit the Placa Espana stop). The tapas bars are a wonderful experience. I'm sure you'll find a way to fill your time in Barcelona.:)

Depends a lot on you personally and how you tour.

I think two full days is enough to catch the major sites, but if you really want to see Barcelona in depth I think 3 days is a minimum for any major city.

Thanks.

Thanks.

Like any city you can't see it all but if you spend two days in the city you will see quite a bit. If you could add one more full day I would consider doing that but if you just have the two full days you will see quite a bit.

Enjoy!

Keith

Thanks, everyone, for your input. We are going to stuff as much as possible into 2 full days, intending to take luggage off ourselves as close to 7am as we can and get a move on!! I realize we could slow down and spend 3 days easily, but we had to make a decision as I found a fantastic one-way airfare and wanted to jump on it.

Thanks again; you guys are great!!

If you have 3 nites post cruise, I would stay 3 nites. We had 3 nite post cruise in September and saw alot, but would have loved 5. Its a great city with tons to see. I would have loved just to veg on the beach for 1 day. We used the last day to visit Montserrat and it was FABULOUS!! ENJOY:D:D

As long as you can! :D We stayed 4 days pre-cruise and still did not cover everything we wanted to see. It probably would have taken us another 2-3 days to really get to all the attractions on our list. However, as other posters have said it really depends on what you want to see while you are there. If you only have 3-4 places on your list 2-3 days is sufficient.

We are interested in visiting Montserrat and was wondering if you booked an independent tour or did it by yourself + how long of a tour was it ?

If you have 3 nites post cruise, I would stay 3 nites. We had 3 nite post cruise in September and saw alot, but would have loved 5. Its a great city with tons to see. I would have loved just to veg on the beach for 1 day. We used the last day to visit Montserrat and it was FABULOUS!! ENJOY:D:D

We are interested in visiting Montserrat and was wondering if you booked an independent tour or did it by yourself + how long of a tour was it ?

We were in Barcelona just for one day in August, and we used an independent tour company, Spanish Trails Adventure. They were very good, punctual and designed our day just the way we wanted it. We did 2 tours in one day. First Montserrat in the morning and later a city tour.

Our wonderful tour guide Saskia, took us to Montserrat and then we had lunch at a Catalonian restaurant. The food was very good and we had fun learning to drink wine from a porron. Saskia then took us to meet our guides for the second part of our tour.

We saw so many sites - the Olympic Village and swimming stadium, Montjuic Castle, Park Guell, La Sagrada Familia, the Market, Las Ramblas.

With only one day, we packed as much in as we could. We could not have done all of this on our own, and felt like the cost of the private tour was money well spent.

Enjoy your visit to Barcelona. Be cautious, as you would in any tourist area, for pickpockets. We did not have any trouble, but the area is so crowded it is easy to see how it happens.

• 5 weeks later...

In my opinion 2 days is enough to see the sights. Some people love Barcelona and would happily spend a week there whereas the city is not one of my favourites in Europe and I would rather spend time elsewhere. We stayed one day pre and post cruise and that was enough for us. Decide what sights you want to see and you can get an idea how long you will need there.

We did it by ourself, bought all inclusive tickets at train station. It takes pretty much the whole day!!!

Archived