Compare Princess to NCL and Royal Caribbean?

katanna

Hey all,

First time poster here, so be nice!

Three years ago my grandmother blessed the entire family by taking 24 of us on a Hawaiian cruise. We went during the winter of 2007 on the Pride of Hawaii (NCL). We all loved it.

Last summer (18 months ago) she blessed us again by taking us on a Caribbean cruise (not everyone could make it so only 15 went). We traversed the rich blue waters on the Oasis of the Seas (the largest ship in the world [at the time]) thanks to Royal Caribbean.

Now she has done it again! This summer we will be on the Coral Princess for seven days traveling down the Alaskan coast. The current family count is 20, but that may change.

My main question (at this time) is what to expect for the ship and the cruise line. How will it be the same and how will it be different than our first two cruises?

For example I was much more pleased with Royal Caribbean than NCL. Not saying anything bad about NCL, RC was just that much nicer in every way! The food was better, the atmosphere was great, even down to the crew of the ship, everything was amazing!

Will Princess be this nice (or better)?

Matthew

Hey all,

First time poster here, so be nice!

Three years ago my grandmother blessed the entire family by taking 24 of us on a Hawaiian cruise. We went during the winter of 2007 on the Pride of Hawaii (NCL). We all loved it.

Last summer (18 months ago) she blessed us again by taking us on a Caribbean cruise (not everyone could make it so only 15 went). We traversed the rich blue waters on the Oasis of the Seas (the largest ship in the world [at the time]) thanks to Royal Caribbean.

Now she has done it again! This summer we will be on the Coral Princess for seven days traveling down the Alaskan coast. The current family count is 20, but that may change.

My main question (at this time) is what to expect for the ship and the cruise line. How will it be the same and how will it be different than our first two cruises?

For example I was much more pleased with Royal Caribbean than NCL. Not saying anything bad about NCL, RC was just that much nicer in every way! The food was better, the atmosphere was great, even down to the crew of the ship, everything was amazing!

Will Princess be this nice (or better)?

Matthew

I just returned from my first, and last, cruise with Princess (Caribbean Princess). This was my tenth cruise, the first 9 were with RCI (Adventure of the Seas and Serenade of the Seas). It is my opinion that Princess does not come close to RCI.

Stateroom - I stayed in an ocean view stateroom in all three ships. All are about the same size. Princess does not have a sofa, clothes closet does not have doors, bunk beds in Princess are folded against the room wall, staying in plain sight, not into the ceiling and out of sight, like in RCI, telephone is installed in the bureau insted in the nightstand. Bed clothing in Princess was yellowish, not white, like in RCI, had stains and holes. The AC never cooled enough.

Food - buffet restaurant in Princess is ridiciously small for a ship the size of Caribbean Princess, consequently, there were lines to get your food, every single day, at almost any time. I never made a line with RCI. At peak times it was imposible to get an empty table, or a table that was empty and cleaned. You cloud be able to find empty but uncleaned tables. Variety and quality of the food, in the buffet and main dinning room, not at par with RCI. Notwithstanding, food and service in Sabatinis was exceptional.

Entertainment - far superior in RCI ships.

Ship´s layout - I found that Avdenture is easier to navigate than Caribbean Princess, followed by Serenade.

Personal attention - far better in RCI.

Lets just say our worst cruise was on NCL while Royal comes in at 3. Princess comes in first place. You will love it!

CruisinAgain - I totally agree with you - we have vowed never to go on NCL again. The food was absolutely deplorable. We have been on a couple of RCCL cruise and we have seen a deterioration in quality of food and service as the ships have grown bigger. RCCL is good for rock climbers and sportsmen with families generally. It is not the elegant and refined line (trying to complete with Carnival in this category).

We like Princess and the food has improved over the years though they did tend to nickel and dime you in the past (i.e. charging for ice cream). Our favorite line is Celebrity; a bit more upscale and elegant. It is generally the 40+ crowd. We liked Holland's food and service but the crowd was OLD. Everyone was in bed by 9PM...

Katanna - I thnk you will enjoy Princess too and you will see the difference, but the Alaska trip is quite different from the Caribbean. You will see the difference in the crowd. We have been to Alaska 2x. These are very conservative, middle america, FOX people - not a real party crowd. The scenery is excellent - have a great time...:)

Let me add to my opinion, two positive things: pizza in Caribbean Princess is superior to RCI´s. Prosciuto and mozzarella cheese rolls in the Intertnational Cafe are excellent! Coffe, even brewed coffee at the International Cafe, is no good. Can´t say about latte and capuccino because I did not have them.

I do not agree with the opinion that RCI food´s quality has downgraded, but that is a question of taste.

Regarding the demography of cruisers, the World´s demography is not composed of a single race, nationality or origin. Not all cruisers are American, Russian, Italian, etc. If you dislike mingling with other races, nationalities, etc, stay home. Not directed toward anyone, just my opinion.

The Coral Princess is a much smaller ship than the Caribbean Princess that a couple of responders have mentioned. We're sailing on her sister ship later this month--the Island Princess--so I'll have a better understanding of how they differ from the larger Princess ships that we have sailed on (all of the original Grand-class ships plus Emerald, Crown, and Sapphire).

If I had to rate the three you mentioned, it would be: 1st Princess, 2nd Royal and 3rd NCL. NCL will always be at the bottom of my cruise list. Sailed on the Island Princess, sister to the Coral and really loved it. Try Princess, I think you will be pleasantly surprised:)

Been on a lot of cruiselines.

NCL and RCI used to be good, now NCL have cut back on food quality and have young new inexperienced MDR staff with a high turnover.

RCI are not as good as they used to be.

NCL seems to be positioning themselves as a party line catering to hard drinking partying single/ youngsters, that way lies high quick short-term profits which are of course very important to NCL's new owners who have no long history of running a cruise line.

Its Princess as my first choice, even above Cunard.

We have been on all three lines, as well, and have enjoyed Princess best of all.

The cost is well within reason for the food and the service. We love the food, the ships, and the entertainment.

Have a great cruise whatever you decide!

Patsy

What a cool grandma!

Alaska will be very different from Hawaii and the Caribbean. The average age of those in Alaska is much higher (regardless of line). Though -some of the coolest things to do in Alaska are for the young! Save your $$$$ as shore excursions are expensive in Alaska.

The Coral Princess will not have the crowding issues that the Caribbean Princess has as the space ratio is much better. The Coral Princess never felt crowded at all to me.

I think you will find Princess has a lot of softer, neutral colors while RCCL is more about a WOW factor.

Alaska is a fabulous place to visit - you will have a great time. The Coral Princess is a wonderful ship.

Just returned from 2 weeks on the Caribbean Princess. Would not return to Princess based on our experience. Lots of details lacking. Food was only so so - no "fresh" cooking stations in the buffet that we had on RCI - really missed that. This was also the first time that I've cruised where the tips were pre-paid. Obsiously no incentive for really good service - and it showed. Found RCI to be much better overall.

Just returned from 2 weeks on the Caribbean Princess. Would not return to Princess based on our experience. Lots of details lacking. Food was only so so - no "fresh" cooking stations in the buffet that we had on RCI - really missed that. This was also the first time that I've cruised where the tips were pre-paid. Obsiously no incentive for really good service - and it showed. Found RCI to be much better overall.

Now that I read Donna´s post, I note that I missed the prepaid gratuities thing. In my opinion, as well as in Donna´s opinion, prepaying gratuities does nothing but gratify, equally, those who strive to give a good service and beyond, as well as those who made the least effort and bellow.

Regarding food in the buffet, IMHO, RCI is far superior, in variety as well as in quality.

Notwithstanding my overall opinion about Princess, I did enjoy my cruise, because I do not let anything spoil my vacation, it just could have been better. And remember, a cruise is "Like no vacation on Earth".

I'm not going to get into the crossfire about RCL and Princess. I will say that our Alaska cruise (Princess) had a different feel from our Caribbean ones. It wasn't due to the age of the passengers either- in fact our last Carr. one had an even older crowd than the Alaska one.

I think it must be due to the scenery Alaska offers VS the Caribbean blue water. Kind of like staying at a hotel on the beach vs one in a US National Park. Maybe not the best comparison, but best I could come up with.

I like a more lively cruise and Princess serves it up ok. They offer the activities but it's up to the passengers to attend and enhance them.

You should be able to enjoy the cruise- especially since you're bringing you own crowd...:)

I have sailed all 3 but it has been many years since we were on Princess or NCL- just sailed RCI in August. Love all 3 cruises! have also sailed Celebrity- loved that too:D. I have never had a bad cruise...ever! I do remember I didn't like the wait for anytime dining on NCL but that was the only con I can remember. I don't know if I am just not a picky as some folks or if I've just been lucky:confused:

Let me add to my opinion, two positive things: pizza in Caribbean Princess is superior to RCI´s. Prosciuto and mozzarella cheese rolls in the Intertnational Cafe are excellent! Coffe, even brewed coffee at the International Cafe, is no good. Can´t say about latte and capuccino because I did not have them.

I do not agree with the opinion that RCI food´s quality has downgraded, but that is a question of taste.

Regarding the demography of cruisers, the World´s demography is not composed of a single race, nationality or origin. Not all cruisers are American, Russian, Italian, etc. If you dislike mingling with other races, nationalities, etc, stay home. Not directed toward anyone, just my opinion.

Have you always just taken cruises out of San Juan? I know the last minute deals there are fantastic and when the Carnival Destiny was there you could get a cabin for just the port fees and taxes at the last minute. Have your tried Carnival or just Royal and Princess?

Have you always just taken cruises out of San Juan? I know the last minute deals there are fantastic and when the Carnival Destiny was there you could get a cabin for just the port fees and taxes at the last minute. Have your tried Carnival or just Royal and Princess?

I have always taken cruises out of SJ (I live in PR) and have never seen the so much talked about las minute prices. Maybe I have not looked for them, since I always book well ahead of the sailing date.

Although Carnival is the least expensive line I have not tried it. I´m 63 years young and Carnival is directed to a younger crowd. As you know, Carnival ships are known as the "Fun Ships" and their "fun" is not my type of fun, so I prefer RCI. Have cruised 9 times with RCI; tried Princess once, did not like it, and in April or May, 2011, will be back with RCI.

After reading tomorrow´s newspaper, I will post prices in PR for interior staterooms in Carnival, RCI and Princess, so you will have an idea on the pricess.

Archived