Live in Rostock/Warnemüde - happy to help you enjoy.

Travelanni

Hi Anni,

You recommended to visit Marienkirche at Neuer Markt first and then join the 11 AM walking tour. Can you you let me know the tram no. 5 & 6 are coming from where to where via Rostock hbf and the name of stops from HBF to Neuer Markt. Thank you.

cheers

Stephen

Hi Anni,

You recommended to visit Marienkirche at Neuer Markt first and then join the 11 AM walking tour. Can you you let me know the tram no. 5 & 6 are coming from where to where via Rostock hbf and the name of stops from HBF to Neuer Markt. Thank you.

cheers

Stephen

Hi,

Usually the #5 tram is travelling from Sudblick to Mecklenburger Allee via Rostock Hbf. The #6 tram is travelling from Mensa to Neuer Friedhof via Rostock Hbf.

On either line the stops are Hbf, Leibnitzplatz, Steintor and Neuer Markt.

There is nothing on the tram to show where it came from and although the final destination is shown on the front of the tram it can change slightly on the #5 according to the time of day so it is better to forget the origin and destination and simply go by the number.

You cannot go wrong if you just catch a #5 or #6 from Tram platform A, direction City and sit where you can see the electronic board, in the front of each car, which lists the next stop in large letters and the following three in smaller letters as you go along. The market place is instantly recognisable when you get there.

Happy cruising :)

Anni

• 3 weeks later...

Just a quick question that you have probably answered but I can't find ...

Can I buy train tickets to Rostock with my American credit card? More specifically, can I use Discover or am I limited to Visa/MC?

Thanks again!

Just a quick question that you have probably answered but I can't find ...

Can I buy train tickets to Rostock with my American credit card? More specifically, can I use Discover or am I limited to Visa/MC?

Thanks again!

Hi, sorry to have to tell you that a card cannot be used in most machines in Germany unless it is the type with a chip and pin number. American Visa/MC are accepted where you are 'served by a human' so to speak and can sign for the purchase. It is wise to have a small amount of local cash (euros) as machines do not accept any cards for ticket purchases under a certain amount and cash is also needed for rest rooms, bakeries, street stalls etc.

Maybe other cruisers would like to comment on their experience in this area as being a resident the problem does not arise for me.

Happy cruising, :)

Anni

Anni...your website is fabulous!

We'll be in Warnemunde from 6 a.m. to 10 p.m. My plan was to take the bus or train to Bad Doberan and do the Molli train. Then go from Bad Doberan to Rostock and see the sights, then back to Warnemunde for a look around town then back on the ship for dinner. We're travelling with friends who prefer to take it a bit slower and I'm thinking they might want to forego the Bad Doberan/Molli train portion. With a long day in port, would we be able to fill our time looking around Rostock and Warnemunde?

Lynn

Hi, sorry to have to tell you that a card cannot be used in most machines in Germany unless it is the type with a chip and pin number. American Visa/MC are accepted where you are 'served by a human' so to speak and can sign for the purchase. It is wise to have a small amount of local cash (euros) as machines do not accept any cards for ticket purchases under a certain amount and cash is also needed for rest rooms, bakeries, street stalls etc.

Maybe other cruisers would like to comment on their experience in this area as being a resident the problem does not arise for me.

Anni

As always, thanks so much for your help. I will exchange some dollars into euros for the trip.

As always, thanks so much for your help. I will exchange some dollars into euros for the trip.

Are there ATM's available at the station or in town? I find that is the best way to get Euro's when traveling. Better exchange rate than at home.

Thank you

We'll be in Warnemunde from 6 a.m. to 10 p.m. My plan was to take the bus or train to Bad Doberan and do the Molli train. Then go from Bad Doberan to Rostock and see the sights, then back to Warnemunde for a look around town then back on the ship for dinner. We're travelling with friends who prefer to take it a bit slower and I'm thinking they might want to forego the Bad Doberan/Molli train portion. With a long day in port, would we be able to fill our time looking around Rostock and Warnemunde?

Lynn

Hi Lynn, many thanks for your appreciation of the website. I am glad it is helping people with their planning.

You are among the few lucky ones having such a long day in Germany. I am sure you could fit in your plans although it would be a full day. I would recommend the earliest bus to connect with the Molli, train to Rostock and train back to Warnemunde. This would take advantage of your possibility of an early start.

Nothing much happens in Rostock before 10am but if a later start and a leisurely day is what you want and you like walking there is plenty to see in the two places and some lovely coastal walks in Warnemunde.

Anni

www.travelanni.webs.com

Are there ATM's available at the station or in town? I find that is the best way to get Euro's when traveling. Better exchange rate than at home.

Thank you

Hi, unfortunately there are no ATMs at the station in Warnemunde. The nearest to the ship is in the Chocolate Shop on the Alter Strom (street alongside the water, through the station and over the bridge) It was rumored that there is to be another one at Karls Pier 7, will let you know if this happens

There are ATMs at street level in both entrances to the Central Station in Rostock.

If you are visiting either Helsinki or Tallin before arriving in Germany it is probably more convenient to get your Euros there.

Anni

Lynn

Lynn, I've done a 'how to do it' sheet for the Molli train if you are interested. Just drop me an e mail.

Simon

We'll be there May 22, 2012. Appreciate ANY input

Hi, there have been various bits and peices on this thread over the past two years. There is a 'Warnemunde' page on my web site with some information and also the addresses of other sites.

If you have any specific questions, please ask.

Anni

www.travelanni.webs.com

Hi Lynn, many thanks for your appreciation of the website. I am glad it is helping people with their planning.

You are among the few lucky ones having such a long day in Germany. I am sure you could fit in your plans although it would be a full day. I would recommend the earliest bus to connect with the Molli, train to Rostock and train back to Warnemunde. This would take advantage of your possibility of an early start.

Nothing much happens in Rostock before 10am but if a later start and a leisurely day is what you want and you like walking there is plenty to see in the two places and some lovely coastal walks in Warnemunde.

Anni

www.travelanni.webs.com

Thanks, Anni. Warnemunde will be our second to last stop on the cruise so we might be running out of steam by then. At least we know that there will be plenty of things to see in Rostock & Warnemunde (although I'll be optimistic and take my Bad Doberan notes:)).

Lynn

Hi Anni,

So Amazed to see all your comments and suggestions towards others' planning. You are really helpful. Would like you to suggest if I should go to Lubeck or Hamburg if my ship dock at the Kiel Otsekai port from 8 am to 5 pm? There are 3 of us here travelling together. I will go to Rostock and Schwerin when my ship dock at Warnemunde, however, my ship will dock at Kiel next day.. I understang there is group ticket for 3 ..please advise. Thanks Anni..

:)

Hi Anni,

So Amazed to see all your comments and suggestions towards others' planning. You are really helpful. Would like you to suggest if I should go to Lubeck or Hamburg if my ship dock at the Kiel Otsekai port from 8 am to 5 pm? There are 3 of us here travelling together. I will go to Rostock and Schwerin when my ship dock at Warnemunde, however, my ship will dock at Kiel next day.. I understang there is group ticket for 3 ..please advise. Thanks Anni..

:)

Hi, it depends on what you want to see really but I would suggest Lübeck. I love Hamburg but it is really just another big city, nice to explore if you actually dock there or want to visit something specific like the Miniature Railway. There is a Lübeck page on my blog, just ignore the 'how to get there from Warnemunde' instructions. It is easier from Kiel anyway. Directions from the station into town are the same.

Trains to Lübeck - an hourly RE service (8:44 etc) which takes 1hr:08mins or an hourly RB service (8:04 etc) which takes 20 mins longer. Return trains - RE 14:06 etc, RB 14.28etc.

Trains to Hamburg - an hourly RE service (8:21 etc) which takes 1hr:19mins. Return trains - RE 14.20etc.

The ticket you refer to is valid on all these trains, details below. You can buy on line (for details see the 'how to' page on my blog, just change the ticket name, departure point and destination to suit) from a ticket machine, ticket office or on the train.

Hamburg, Schleswig-Holstein-Ticket

This ticket is valid from Monday to Sunday for one day of your choice from 9 a.m. until 3 a.m. of the following day on Saturday, Sundays and bank holidays from 0 until 3 a.m the following day. It can be used on all local trains (Regional-Express, Regionalbahn, S-Bahn) in Schleswig-Holstein and Mecklenburg-Vorpommern. Besides it can be used on the transport systems in Hamburger Verkehrsverbund (HVV) zone A and B.

The price is 26 euros for one person plus 3 euros for each additional person up to 5. ie 32 euros for 3 persons.

Thanks for your appreciation, it makes it all worthwhile.

Anni

www.travelanni.webs.com

We are on the Emerald Princess - May 23 and will dock in Warnemunde on Saturday, May 26. We are going to go to Berlin in advance of our cruise, so I am looking for other suggestions on things to do while in Warnemunde other than taking the train to Berlin.

Thanks

Marvin & Judy

We are on the Emerald Princess - May 23 and will dock in Warnemunde on Saturday, May 26. We are going to go to Berlin in advance of our cruise, so I am looking for other suggestions on things to do while in Warnemunde other than taking the train to Berlin.

Thanks

Marvin & Judy

Warnemunde is a nice little town, Wismar isn't far and is a Medieval Brick Town very interesting. Schwerin has a beautiful castle, Luebeck is an UNESCO world hertiage site and also very historic. The Molli train to Bad Doberan is fun if you are a train person. Have a look at Anni's website as she has information on the whole area of Warnemunde with train schedules listed and how to get to each town.

Have a great time!

Hi Anni - Please tell me if this is doable: Pre-cruise: planning to fly USA to Berlin - upon arrival, take taxi to train station and take train to Rostock. Stay in Rostock for a couple of days before cruise leaves Warnemunde. Will going straight to Rostock be too exhausting, or do you think we should spend the night in Berlin, then go to Rostock the next day (via train)?

Also, post-cruise: staying in Berlin for a few days to sight-see. The plan is to take ICE train from Warnemunde on Sat. - leave at 8:31, arrive Berlin 11:48. Are these the correct times for travel from Warnemunde to Berlin on a Sat.?

Appreciate all your help!:)

Hi Anni - Please tell me if this is doable: Pre-cruise: planning to fly USA to Berlin - upon arrival, take taxi to train station and take train to Rostock. Stay in Rostock for a couple of days before cruise leaves Warnemunde. Will going straight to Rostock be too exhausting, or do you think we should spend the night in Berlin, then go to Rostock the next day (via train)?

Also, post-cruise: staying in Berlin for a few days to sight-see. The plan is to take ICE train from Warnemunde on Sat. - leave at 8:31, arrive Berlin 11:48. Are these the correct times for travel from Warnemunde to Berlin on a Sat.?

Appreciate all your help!:)

Hi, very 'do-able' indeed!

As you plan to spend a few days in Berlin post-cruise I would be inclined to travel to Rostock on the same day. Depending on your flight arrival time in Berlin of course. The RE trains depart Berlin every 2 hours, the ICE usually departs at 18:13 Sun - Fri, not Sat.

You did not give the dates on which you would be travelling but I guess it is during the summer months when the normal departure time of the ICE from Warnemunde on Saturdays is 9:01, arrive Berlin 11.48.

However, there are track works this summer affecting the ICE but if you would care to give me your exact dates of arrival in Berlin and departure from Warnemunde I will check for any changes and pass them on, they are already gazetted.

Anni

www.travelanni.webs.com

Hi, very 'do-able' indeed!

As you plan to spend a few days in Berlin post-cruise I would be inclined to travel to Rostock on the same day. Depending on your flight arrival time in Berlin of course. The RE trains depart Berlin every 2 hours, the ICE usually departs at 18:13 Sun - Fri, not Sat.

You did not give the dates on which you would be travelling but I guess it is during the summer months when the normal departure time of the ICE from Warnemunde on Saturdays is 9:01, arrive Berlin 11.48.

However, there are track works this summer affecting the ICE but if you would care to give me your exact dates of arrival in Berlin and departure from Warnemunde I will check for any changes and pass them on, they are already gazetted.

Anni

www.travelanni.webs.com

Thanks so much for the info! Our travel dates will be: arrive in Berlin on July 29 for cruise leaving July 31. Cruise ends in Warnemunde Aug. 11.

We are now thinking about going to Munich instead of Berlin after the cruise. Do you know if we can take the train from Warnemunde/Rostock directly to Munich central station, or will we have to go to Berlin and change trains? Also, would it be more economical to purchase a rail pass?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Anni,

Thank you for your website with all it's links.

I decided to fly in and out of Berlin from Copenhagen for a day so I won't be wondering should I or shouldn't I from the cruise, I already will have.

I noticed that there is a lighthouse in Warnemude, is this a good place to visit to take pictures from?

I'm thinking of going to Schwerin because that castle looks like something I have to see in person. Is 3 hours enough time to see the castle and gardens, and cathedral? If longer is needed, how late are things open in Rostock? Which is the better place to eat a meal?

Thanks for all your help.

Anni,

Thank you for your website with all it's links.

I decided to fly in and out of Berlin from Copenhagen for a day so I won't be wondering should I or shouldn't I from the cruise, I already will have.

I noticed that there is a lighthouse in Warnemude, is this a good place to visit to take pictures from?

I'm thinking of going to Schwerin because that castle looks like something I have to see in person. Is 3 hours enough time to see the castle and gardens, and cathedral? If longer is needed, how late are things open in Rostock? Which is the better place to eat a meal?

Thanks for all your help.

Hi, thanks for your appreciation.

The lighthouse is open to the public from 10am to 7pm daily and a great place from which to take photos.

Schwerin - please bear in mind that the walk to/from the station is 15-20mins each way. 3 hours would be enough time to walk around the sights you mention but not long enough to go inside the castle and cathedral or tour the grounds properly so it would be better to spend more time in Schwerin. With a Mecklenburg Day Ticket you do not have to make a decision in advance on your return train so you could take more time if you need it and skip Rostock if necessary.

Museums etc in both Rostock and Schwerin are open until 6pm (closed Mondays) and shops until 8pm (closed Sundays)

Both cities have excellent restaurants and cafes but my personal favourite is the one in the Orangery at Schwerin Castle. Good food, lovely surroundings and great views of the lake; fabulous outside area, perfect if the weather is good.

Anni

www.travelanni.webs.com

Edited by rostocker

Hi Anni, thanks for all your reply and posts. Please advice on my trip below if this is ok. Our ship will dock at Warnemunde at 6am to 10pm.

3 of us here will get the Landerticket Mecklenburg- Vorpommen ticket for 27 EURO. However, we will depart early at 8:22am to Rostock, therefore we will get the 1.80 single ticket per person.

1. We will arrive at Rostock Hauptbahnhof, then take #5 or #6 tram to Neuer Markt for the Marienkirche. Then, walk up to the pedestrian street to Kropeliner Tor. Walk around (buy another ticket to catch the tram) and take the 13:07 train (plantform 6) to Schwerin.

Q1: Do you think we should take a guided walking tour? Is yes, may I know where can I get the tour?

Q2: Since 3 of us here, do you think we should buy group day ticket for Rostock?

Q3. Any other worth place to see at Rostock besides Marienkirche? Really not sure where to go..

Q4. After reading your blog, I understamd there is few station to catch the tram to the city. Which train station you recommend the most for the best scenery and view?

2. After Rostock, we will go to Schwerin at 13:07, walk around city and to the castle. Return : Take the 17:53 train back to Rostock, (change platform 1 or 2 at Rostock) -> Warnemunde.

Q1.After my arrival at Schwerin main station and walking around the city and castle, if time permits, I wish to go for some shopping.. where do you suggest? Schwerin Mitt?

Thanks Anni.