Live in Rostock/Warnemüde - happy to help you enjoy.

Travelanni

Hi fellow Aussies, thanks for your appreciation, the nice report and the great pics. I hope they encourage more people to spend the day relaxing in Rostock and Warnemünde.

Sorry about the walking tour but the girls who do the tours now were away on a course during May. I filled in on one or two days but it was really too much for me. I realised why I had retired !

So pleased that you enjoyed your visit to my corner of the world. I am looking forward to my visit with my family in Queensland in July.

Happy cruising :)

Anni

Thanks Anni,

Enjoy your Aussie holiday.

I'll post a couple more photos of Warnemunde........I like those seafood restaurants on the water.......very classy area.

RostockandWarnemunde196_zps059f6bfb.jpg

RostockandWarnemunde199_zpsc2dba9a0.jpg

RostockandWarnemunde204_zps2d2a094b.jpg

RostockandWarnemunde210_zpsd060dc7b.jpg

RostockandWarnemunde211_zpsfa44c16c.jpg

Thanks Anni- looking forward to your response and what you can find out from calling them. It is confusing! :-)

I rang the ticket office and they confirmed that the Schloss is CLOSED ON MONDAYS. Their web site is correct and the Tourism website is wrong.

The website for the Schloss itself is http://www.museum-schwerin.com/schwerin-state-museum-art-collections-castles-and-gardens/schwerin-castle/

I am sorry to have caused confusion but it never occured to me that the information on the official City Tourism web site might be wrong on such an important point so I did not check first. :o

Anni.

Edited by rostocker

Hi rostocker,

My family will be visiting Warnemuende via Norweigian Star on Jul 1 (Mon). Instead of joining excursions, will it be easy for us to go on our own? Love to take the train to Rostock and take the Harbour cruise back.

My only concern is that we have 2 eldery and 2 small kids. I don't want to join cruise line excursions because I hope the kids can sleep in (due to jet lag). Hopefully we can depart the ship around 10:30am and back before 4pm. Any suggestions?

Thanks Anni,

Enjoy your Aussie holiday.

I'll post a couple more photos of Warnemunde........I like those seafood restaurants on the water.......very classy area.

Nice. Where I find those seafood restaurants? Are they near the cruise terminal?

Anni - Some great advice on here and also your own website. We are on the Thomson Spirit on 10 July docking at LP41 opposite the cruise terminal on the other side of the river. Will this cause us any problems - We will be getting the train to Rostock. Is there a festival in Warnemunde on this date?

Many thanks in advance for your reply

John

Hi rostocker,

My family will be visiting Warnemuende via Norweigian Star on Jul 1 (Mon). Instead of joining excursions, will it be easy for us to go on our own? Love to take the train to Rostock and take the Harbour cruise back.

My only concern is that we have 2 eldery and 2 small kids. I don't want to join cruise line excursions because I hope the kids can sleep in (due to jet lag). Hopefully we can depart the ship around 10:30am and back before 4pm. Any suggestions?

Hi,

With small children have you considered staying in Warnemünde for the day, there is not much for them in Rostock. The main beach in Warnemünde is about 10 mins stroll from the cruise terminal, through the prettiest part of the town. Through the railway station, across the bridge, right along the waterfront and you are at the promenade. The beach is very wide with good sand and the water is calm and shallow. The older folk might appreciate a 'Sand Korb', the beach basket chairs for hire which protect from both wind and sun. There are cafes and resturants on the promenade plus a childrens playground and a cafe right on the sand. It is also a popular place for kite-flying with demonstrations most days. There is also a small 'train' which does a tour of the town, kids love it. The seafood restaurants in the photos are on both sides of the harbour, on the fish quay before the bridge or along the main street on the other side.

You will find full directions for Rostock by train and return by boat on my web site www.travelanni.webs.com

Leaving the ship at 10:30 you should be in Rostock City by 11:30. The last boat leaves at 15:30.

Anni

www.

Anni - Some great advice on here and also your own website. We are on the Thomson Spirit on 10 July docking at LP41 opposite the cruise terminal on the other side of the river. Will this cause us any problems - We will be getting the train to Rostock. Is there a festival in Warnemunde on this date?

Many thanks in advance for your reply

John

Hi. thank you for your appreciation.

Docking at LP41 does make things slightly more difficult. The trains from the Seehafen to Rostock City have recently been discontinued but your ship will probably run a shuttle bus as there will be a lot of people wanting to go into Rostock Hbf or Rostock City itself. It will be pretty poor service if they do not.

There is a bus, No 45, which runs to the nearest railway station in Lutten Klein from the stop Seehafen Fahre (just across road from the pier gate) at 7:11, 7:41, 8:24 and every hour thereafter at 24 mins past. The ride to the railway station takes 20 mins and there are trains to either Rostock Hbf or Warnemünde every 15 mins .

The 'Warnemünde Week' festival is on from July 6th to the 14th. It covers the whole town with a variety of events, entertainment and markets, well worth a visit.

Anni

www.travelanni.webs.com

PS just noticed your address! I lived many years in Hull, on Holderness Road about 500m from Sutton Road. Its a small world. Would love to have met you but I will be in Australia in July. Hope you will have as many happy memories of my corner of the world as I have of Sutton.

Edited by rostocker

Nice. Where I find those seafood restaurants? Are they near the cruise terminal?

The restaurants are only 5-10min walk from cruise terminal.....walk thru train station and your on the waterfront.

The tourist boat can be taken from beside the cruise terminal to Rostock return if preferred.

a9ybarun.jpg

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Tapatalk 2

Hi. thank you for your appreciation.

Docking at LP41 does make things slightly more difficult. The trains from the Seehafen to Rostock City have recently been discontinued but your ship will probably run a shuttle bus as there will be a lot of people wanting to go into Rostock Hbf or Rostock City itself. It will be pretty poor service if they do not.

There is a bus, No 45, which runs to the nearest railway station in Lutten Klein from the stop Seehafen Fahre (just across road from the pier gate) at 7:11, 7:41, 8:24 and every hour thereafter at 24 mins past. The ride to the railway station takes 20 mins and there are trains to either Rostock Hbf or Warnemünde every 15 mins .

The 'Warnemünde Week' festival is on from July 6th to the 14th. It covers the whole town with a variety of events, entertainment and markets, well worth a visit.

Anni

www.travelanni.webs.com

PS just noticed your address! I lived many years in Hull, on Holderness Road about 500m from Sutton Road. Its a small world. Would love to have met you but I will be in Australia in July. Hope you will have as many happy memories of my corner of the world as I have of Sutton.

Many thanks Anni

As you say its a small world - We live between Tweendykes Road & Potterill Lane and have lived in East Hull for 48 years. Would have loved to meet you. Hope you enjoy your break in Australia.

Kind regards

John O

Just wanted to give some feedback on the Rostock walking tour. We did it on May 22, and it was a total disappointment. It was a cold, rainy day, we had a group of 6, and the guide was a sweet Polish girl who was brand new to the area and had never given a walking tour before. She carried a binder, and basically read us a little bit of information from it. If they couldn't provide an adequate tour, they should have just cancelled the tour for that day. It's the first time ever that I've rated a tour as not worth the time or money.

Just wanted to give some feedback on the Rostock walking tour. We did it on May 22, and it was a total disappointment. It was a cold, rainy day, we had a group of 6, and the guide was a sweet Polish girl who was brand new to the area and had never given a walking tour before. She carried a binder, and basically read us a little bit of information from it. If they couldn't provide an adequate tour, they should have just cancelled the tour for that day. It's the first time ever that I've rated a tour as not worth the time or money.

Hi, I am sorry that you had a bad experience in Rostock. The situation seems to have deteriorated since ill health forced my retirement at the end of the 2011 season although the young Polish lady last year spoke very good English, was an experienced tour guide and knew the city well. I was asked and did express my doubts as to the suitability of this years students but obviously my advice was not heeded.

I am very, very disappointed as the Rostock City Walk was my idea while I volunteered with the Society and, although unpaid, I really enjoyed meeting our English speaking visitors and introducing them to Rostock.

Thank you for your feedback, I will be passing on your comments to the Director at the Historical Society and, with great regret, my recommendation that the tour be discontinued. Meanwhile I have deleted all reference to the tour from my web site.

Kind regards,

Anni

Sorry if this had been asked before but there are now over 30 pages on this thread and I have really tried. Our ship arrives in Warnemunde on Saturday July 6th (so there will be stores open according to this thread). I did contact a couple of tour companies and they advised that my ship is now arriving in Rostock instead so they cannot do a tour for us after all. Since we will have 12 hours at the Rostock port can you suggest what we can do or who to contact for a tour. We are 4 adults and we can do a lot of waling if need be. Thank you

This is a sample of a tour we were offered. Is this the best we can do?

City of Rostock Tour

Itinerary:

08.45 am meet with guide in front of ship /terminal

walk to bus stop (approx. 10 min)

09.05 am take bus & tram to Rostock City Center

09.45 am arrive in Rostock

guided tour of the old town incl. inside visit to St. Marien church

snack

12.00 pm time at leisure in Rostock

01.00 pm return journey to ship with tram & bus

02.00 pm arrive back at ship

Sorry if this had been asked before but there are now over 30 pages on this thread and I have really tried. Our ship arrives in Warnemunde on Saturday July 6th (so there will be stores open according to this thread). I did contact a couple of tour companies and they advised that my ship is now arriving in Rostock instead so they cannot do a tour for us after all. Since we will have 12 hours at the Rostock port can you suggest what we can do or who to contact for a tour. We are 4 adults and we can do a lot of waling if need be. Thank you

This is a sample of a tour we were offered. Is this the best we can do?

City of Rostock Tour

Itinerary:

08.45 am meet with guide in front of ship /terminal

walk to bus stop (approx. 10 min)

09.05 am take bus & tram to Rostock City Center

09.45 am arrive in Rostock

guided tour of the old town incl. inside visit to St. Marien church

snack

12.00 pm time at leisure in Rostock

01.00 pm return journey to ship with tram & bus

02.00 pm arrive back at ship

Hi, You did not mention which ship you will be on, Carnival Legend or Marina. Both are scheduled to berth in the Seehafen on the other side of the river on that day. For your tour company to infer that this is a late change is quite simply not the truth. The berthing schedules are arranged at least a year in advance and I have never known them to change after publication in February each year.

For a complete explanation of the different berths in the Port of Rostock please see post 739 on this thread.

Rostock is a very easy port to DIY. The easiest way to get into the city from the Seehafen is by bus and train or by taxi. How to do this is covered on post 759.

I would recommend spending the day in Rostock and the late afternoon/evening in Warnemünde at the festival. The half day suggested by the tour company is not enough to see everything.

Anni

www.travelanni.webs.com

Thanks so much, post 739 and 759 were very helpful. The link you provide shows Marina arrival at LP 31 which I will assume is near LP 41 so your advise in post 759 still applies. I only found out about the change by accident when one of the tour guides replied that the tour would have to be out of Rostock. The 2nd tour company who comes very very highly recommended said since there is a change in berths, he could do Rostock for me only if I could put a group together. If the 2 locations are so close I don't know why it is an issue. My last question is if we end the day at the Warnemunde festival, is there a lot of traffic getting back to our ship? It doesn't leave until 9:00 pm Thanks again for your help and your amazing website

Thanks so much, post 739 and 759 were very helpful. The link you provide shows Marina arrival at LP 31 which I will assume is near LP 41 so your advise in post 759 still applies. I only found out about the change by accident when one of the tour guides replied that the tour would have to be out of Rostock. The 2nd tour company who comes very very highly recommended said since there is a change in berths, he could do Rostock for me only if I could put a group together. If the 2 locations are so close I don't know why it is an issue. My last question is if we end the day at the Warnemunde festival, is there a lot of traffic getting back to our ship? It doesn't leave until 9:00 pm Thanks again for your help and your amazing website

Thankyou for your appreciation.

LP31 is just on the other side of the pier from LP41, slightly further to walk to the bus stop. It was not mentioned because it is not often used for cruise ships but on that day there are 4 big cruise ships in so two must use the Seehafen.

You will have seen my comments about cruise lines and tour operators pretending that there has been a sudden change of berth, it makes me very angry. I know how a port operates and with cruise ships being on schedules arranged far in advance the Port Authority can assign berths in advance too and be pretty sure they will not have to be changed. It is a luxury they do not get with cargo ships!

I am not sure why but some of the tour operators are very reluctant to cross the river preferring to operate out of Warnemunde.

By road, if you take a taxi, the trip through the tunnel from Warnemunde to the Seehafen takes about 15 mins. There should be no problem with traffic. By train and bus, if your all-aboard is 8.30pm, then the 7.02pm train to Lutten Klein and the 7.20pm bus to Seehafen is the last possible to get you there in time.

Enjoy your day :)

Anni

Edited by rostocker

...There is a bus, No 45, which runs to the nearest railway station in Lutten Klein from the stop Seehafen Fahre (just across road from the pier gate) at 7:11, 7:41, 8:24 and every hour thereafter at 24 mins past. The ride to the railway station takes 20 mins and there are trains to either Rostock Hbf or Warnemünde every 15 mins ....

Anni, does bus 45 or 49 run everyday?

We will be there on Sat. July 6. I typed from Seehafen Rostock to Shwerin on http://reiseauskunft.bahn.de/bin/query.exe/en . It always makes me to take taxi to a train station. but if I change the date to Friday July 5, it would give me bus 45 or bus 49 to a train station.

Hi Anni,

I have read most of this thread but as some things are now three years old and it changes regularly, I thought I would make sure I understood things.

We are a family with two adults and 2 children under 14. My husband and I have been to Berlin before so we would like to see the Rostock/Warnmunde area for the one day our cruise ship is in town. We arrive on June 25, 2013. It appears that we are the only ship in port that day.

My plan is to go to Schwerin in the morning and return to the town of Warnemunde in the afternoon. My understanding is that we will need to buy a ticket to get from Warnemunde to Rostock. We can then take the train from Rostock to Schwerin and back. If we buy Lander tickets online, they will not cover the initial trip to Rostock because they do not start until 9. We will only need for two people as our children are young and travel free with parents.

Am I understanding all of this correctly? Does that sound like a reasonable day?

Thank you in advance to anyone who can tell me if I am on the right track...

Dee

Anni, does bus 45 or 49 run everyday?

We will be there on Sat. July 6. I typed from Seehafen Rostock to Shwerin on http://reiseauskunft.bahn.de/bin/query.exe/en . It always makes me to take taxi to a train station. but if I change the date to Friday July 5, it would give me bus 45 or bus 49 to a train station.

Hi, since the closure of the rail line the bus timetables have been altered slightly and the No. 45 bus now also runs on Saturday and Sunday. Departs Seehafen at 7:46, 8:46, 9.59 and hourly thereafter, departs Lutten Klein at 29 mins past every hour to 19:29.

Bus No. 49 runs Monday to Friday only.

Anni

www.travelanni.webs.com

Hi Anni,

I have read most of this thread but as some things are now three years old and it changes regularly, I thought I would make sure I understood things.

We are a family with two adults and 2 children under 14. My husband and I have been to Berlin before so we would like to see the Rostock/Warnmunde area for the one day our cruise ship is in town. We arrive on June 25, 2013. It appears that we are the only ship in port that day.

My plan is to go to Schwerin in the morning and return to the town of Warnemunde in the afternoon. My understanding is that we will need to buy a ticket to get from Warnemunde to Rostock. We can then take the train from Rostock to Schwerin and back. If we buy Lander tickets online, they will not cover the initial trip to Rostock because they do not start until 9. We will only need for two people as our children are young and travel free with parents.

Am I understanding all of this correctly? Does that sound like a reasonable day?

Thank you in advance to anyone who can tell me if I am on the right track...

Dee

Hi Dee,

Thank you for your appreciation. You are quite right about the age of some of this thread but I try to keep timetables, fares etc. on both the posts and the web site up to date.

Your understanding of what you require is absolutely correct but if the children are over 6 yrs you will need tickets for them on the s-bahn from Warnemünde to Rostock, half price.

I did exactly what you are proposing with friends last week and we had a wonderful day, hope yours is just as good.

If you have not already read them, my directions for the nicest walk to the castle are on the web site.

Anni

www.travelanni.webs.com

PS for others who read this post - when reading any thread be aware of the date of the posts. As noted by veravin things change so it is best to use only specific information (times, fares, opening hours, entrance fees etc.) from the current year. The same applies to blogs and web sites - one in particular which I know is frequently consulted has not been updated since 2009 :rolleyes:

Hi to all my friends out there in CC land.

Firstly I would like to give a big thank you to all those kind people who take the trouble to acknowledge our replies to your queries. I'm sure I speak for all the 'regulars' (Len, Terry and co.) and the 'local experts' who contribute here.

I leave on Tuesday for my annual visit to family in Australia. Not by my transport of choice, a freighter, unfortunately as the journey takes too long. This time I must fly as the plan is to stay 7 weeks. However, my trusty notebook will be with me and I shall sign in to CC regularly so please keep the questions coming. The answers may not be quite as prompt as usual but I will do my best.

Watch out for a couple of new towns on the web site, working on them now. I know many people are 'doing' the Baltic for the second or third time so I have researched another two destinations within two hours travel of Rostock. One of them has strong connections with the US military, the 82nd Airborne and General James Gavin to be precise, at the end of WWll. Hope it will be of interest.

Anni