Live in Rostock/Warnemüde - happy to help you enjoy.

Travelanni

Hi,

We will be in port (Warenmunde) on Monday, July 1. I thought I had read earlier in this thread that lots of places are closed on Mondays. We are still trying to decide if we want to stay "local" to the port area or take the trek to Berlin.

What will there be to do on a Monday either locally or in Berlin?

Deb

Hi,

We will be in port (Warenmunde) on Monday, July 1. I thought I had read earlier in this thread that lots of places are closed on Mondays. We are still trying to decide if we want to stay "local" to the port area or take the trek to Berlin.

What will there be to do on a Monday either locally or in Berlin?

Deb

Hi Deb, It is fair to say that if museums etc. are to close one day of the week then Monday will be the day.

In Rostock the three museums, (Cultural, Maritime and Stasi) are closed on Mondays but the churches and the exhibition in the Kropeliner Tor are open.

In Schwerin the Schloss and all other museums are closed on Mondays.

In Berlin all the main museums are open every day.

Most outdoor attractions (eg. Zoos, markets, the Molli train) open daily during the holiday season and of course the shops, cafes and restaurants are open everywhere.

Happy cruising :),

Anni

www.travelanni.webs.com

Do the figures of the astronomical clock in Rostock come out every hour? I read some posts in TripAdvisor saying "... make sure to be there at noon...", sounding like the Jesus and apostle show only happens at noon every day.

Do the figures of the astronomical clock in Rostock come out every hour? I read some posts in TripAdvisor saying "... make sure to be there at noon...", sounding like the Jesus and apostle show only happens at noon every day.

Hi,

Yes, the parade of the apostles only happens at noon each day and for many it is quite disappointing. It is nothing like as long or elaborate as the 'clock parades' which I have seen in other cities, Munich for example.

The clock itself though is something else again! Almost floor to ceiling, covered in the most beautiful painting and carving, the information which the many pointers and dials give is truly amazing. It is situated behind the altar and you can find explanation leaflets in English just inside the door of the church.

If you are more interested in the astronomical aspect of the clock and the beauty of its construction my advice would be to go before 11am or after 1pm as the crowds of organised tours from about 11:30 onwards, waiting for the parade, make it very difficult to get near.

Anni

www.travelanni.webs.com

Edited by rostocker

Hi Anni!

I've been studying your excellent website, but want to make sure of something about the s-bahn train ticket. We are a group of 4, so I'm going to buy the group day ticket to go to Rostock. Does this ticket also include the tram to the Kropeline Gate?

Thanks!

Hi Anni!

I've been studying your excellent website, but want to make sure of something about the s-bahn train ticket. We are a group of 4, so I'm going to buy the group day ticket to go to Rostock. Does this ticket also include the tram to the Kropeline Gate?

Thanks!

Hi,

The local transport day ticket (13.80 euros for a group of up to 5 people) covers all public transport in the Rostock/Warnemünde area; s-bahn, tram, bus and cross river ferry.

Anni

www.travelanni.webs.com

If you tell us the date you are in Kiel, I could check if there would be a canal tour for some hours.

There is a ferry boat on the canal from Holtenau (northside) to Wik (southside) and viceversa.

Hi Ruizefan, We will be in Kiel on Friday July 19 from 7 AM to 5 PM. Thanks for checking into this.

Hi Anni!

Rather than taking the train, or engaging guided tour, how about just a car and driver for a party of four?

We really just need the convenient transportation to Rostock. We can self guide at our own pace, once we are there. Am I correct that the car travel within town is limited, so we can just be dropped off on one end, and phone when we are ready to be picked up wherever we come out. (We once did something similar in the old cities surrounding Amsterdam).

How long should we allow to explore old Rostock? And where can we find a car and driver?

Thank you for all your postings, and this reply in advance.

Oren

Hi Anni!

Rather than taking the train, or engaging guided tour, how about just a car and driver for a party of four?

We really just need the convenient transportation to Rostock. We can self guide at our own pace, once we are there. Am I correct that the car travel within town is limited, so we can just be dropped off on one end, and phone when we are ready to be picked up wherever we come out. (We once did something similar in the old cities surrounding Amsterdam).

How long should we allow to explore old Rostock? And where can we find a car and driver?

Thank you for all your postings, and this reply in advance.

Oren

Hi Oren, thank you for your appreciation.

As a local writing on CC I am not allowed give specific details, company names etc., of car and driver hire but as the centre of Rostock is traffic free and street parking is just about impossible, if you do not want to use the train the best way would be to take a taxi, there are always plenty around the Cruise Terminal. Having said that, I still feel the train and tram to be the better option as you get to see much more of the outskirts of the city than from a car.

It is difficult to give an estimation of time as it depends on yourself really, the pace at which you walk and if you want to go into places or not but these facts may give you some idea.

The Old town, within the city walls, covers an area approx. one mile by three quarters of which about one third is pedestrian precinct. The average guided tour of the main attractions takes between one and one and a half hours. The city centre is flat sloping down to the river all round. It would take around 30 mins to stroll directly from the Kropeliner Gate to St Petri Church on the Alter Markt.

A good, clear map can be found at

http://mappery.com/map-of/Rostock-Center-Map

The thin brown line indicates the remains of the city wall. The area bounded by Lange Str, Steinstr and August-Babel Str is traffic free.

Happy cruising :)

Anni

www.travelanni.webs.com

Edited by rostocker

Hi kruizefan, We will be in Kiel on Friday July 19 from 7 AM to 5 PM. Thanks for checking into this.

Unfortunately paddle steamboat "Freya" is doing an alldaylong canal tour from Kiel to Brunsbüttel from 10 am. to 8 pm. on July 19.

http://www.adler-schiffe.de/flotte/flotte-kiel-rendsburg/raddampfer-freya.html

Edited by Kruizefan

Looks like a lot of people want to know about Rostock. :) We will be there Thursday, June 20, arriving on Vision Of The Seas. Our plan is to take the train to Rostock and the boat back. Is it easy for us to get tickets if we are on our own and the only German I know is how to order a beer?

Looks like a lot of people want to know about Rostock. :) We will be there Thursday, June 20, arriving on Vision Of The Seas. Our plan is to take the train to Rostock and the boat back. Is it easy for us to get tickets if we are on our own and the only German I know is how to order a beer?

Hi,

Buying your train ticket will probably be easier than ordering your beer as the touch screens on the ticket machines have displays in several languages. Just hit the little British flag at the bottom and the whole thing will come up in English. What you require is a single ride ticket, the top button on the list. Don't forget to validate your ticket in the little box at the entrance to the platform. There is usually a DB lady near the ticket machines to help if you need it.

You buy the boat ticket on board.

Anni

www.travelanni.webs.com

...if you do not want to use the train the best way would be to take a taxi, there are always plenty around the Cruise Terminal.

Anni

www.travelanni.webs.com

Anni,

I appreciate your suggestion, but if we still want to take a taxi...

Can 4 passengers comfortably fit?

What is the one-way fare?

I know you said that there are cabs at the terminal, but is it easy to find a cab to take us back to the ship? Is there a main taxi stand? Where?

Thanks again,

Oren

Anni,

I appreciate your suggestion, but if we still want to take a taxi...

Can 4 passengers comfortably fit?

What is the one-way fare?

I know you said that there are cabs at the terminal, but is it easy to find a cab to take us back to the ship? Is there a main taxi stand? Where?

Thanks again,

Oren

Hi,

Most taxis are 5 seater cars, ie driver and 4 passengers or 8 seater mini-vans.

The fare from Warnemünde to Rostock City is about 25 euro one way.

There are several cab stands around the City, the most central is in Lange Strasse.

Anni

www.travelanni.webs.com

Hi,

Buying your train ticket will probably be easier than ordering your beer as the touch screens on the ticket machines have displays in several languages. Just hit the little British flag at the bottom and the whole thing will come up in English. What you require is a single ride ticket, the top button on the list. Don't forget to validate your ticket in the little box at the entrance to the platform. There is usually a DB lady near the ticket machines to help if you need it.

You buy the boat ticket on board.

Anni

www.travelanni.webs.com

We decided on the ships tour. It includes the microbrewery. :) Just noticed that travelanni is your website. Love it!

Here's a less common sort of question...

Are there any good hobby (model train) shops in Warnemunde or Rostock?

Hi,

Uncommon question but one I can answer as my friend is a fanatic!

The best one in Rostock, ModellbahnSchaft, is on Gertrudenstrasse about 200 metres from the Kropeliner Gate. Their web site, in German only but interesting, is

http://www.modellbahn-rostock.de/

From the square on the outer side of the gate Gate, take the pedestrian path to the right, cross with the traffic lights to the low cream buildings (used to be the hospital) and follow the footpath round to the left. The shop is set back on the right, next to the Santander bank.

If you are not sure, call into the Kropeliner Gate and ask for directions, to Gertrudenstrasse as they might not know about the actual shop. On cruise ship days there is always someone there who speaks English. Just tell them Anni sent you!

Anni

www.travelanni.webs.com

Hello,

I think I have read about a boat that will take a group from Warnemunde or Rostock to Schwerin. Are you able to give me any information about getting in touch with someone who can help me? We are a family of 6 of Celebrity "Eclipse" docking in Warnemunde on June 11th. Thank you!

Hello,

I think I have read about a boat that will take a group from Warnemunde or Rostock to Schwerin. Are you able to give me any information about getting in touch with someone who can help me? We are a family of 6 of Celebrity "Eclipse" docking in Warnemunde on June 11th. Thank you!

Hi, There is a boat between Warnemünde and Rostock and there are boats on the lakes in Schwerin but as far as I know there is no navigable water, that is river or canal, connecting Rostock and Schwerin. It is possible to do the trip by canoe but even then there are several portages.

If anyone who reads this knows anything to the contrary I would be pleased to know.

Anni

www.travelanni.webs.com

Hi Anni,

Thank you for all the valuable info both here and on your website. We are going to be in Warnemunde on May 22. Can you please recommend a couple of nice restaurants for lunch and dinner and a nice glass of wine?

Thank you!

Hi Anni,

Thanks for all your information about Rostock and Warnemunde. It's been incredibly helpful in planning my trip.

My family and I will be porting in P7 at Warnemunde on Sunday May 26th. We will be traveling with our 8 months old son, so we decided to stay in Warnemunde/Rostock for a more leisurely trip compare to the long bus ride to Berlin. From my understanding, shops, museum, etc will be closed on Sundays. Can you suggest any place where I can buy souvenirs in either Warnemunde or Rostock? What about recommendations of things to do on a sunday?

Also, if i buy a local region day ticket for Rostock, do I need to validate the ticket as well?

Thank you very much for your help!

Jeremy

Hi Anni,

Thank you for all the valuable info both here and on your website. We are going to be in Warnemunde on May 22. Can you please recommend a couple of nice restaurants for lunch and dinner and a nice glass of wine?

Thank you!

Hi, thankyou for your appreciation but as a local advising on CC I am not permitted to name particular businesses, sorry.

However I can say that the restaurants in Warnemünde are many and varied, from Maccas up to five star dining at the resort on the other side of the river and I have never heard a bad report from any. The local speciality here is fish but most places have a varied menu.

My personal favourites are the ones along the Fish Market (waterside on the right before you cross the bridge) which have upstairs balconies from where you can watch the activity on both sides of the Alter Strom, the small harbour where the fishing and pleasure boats dock.

The best way to choose is to stroll and look at the menus posted outside (many in English) until you find one which takes your fancy. Or maybe another cruiser who has had a good experience of dining in Warnemünde can help.

Anni

www.travelanni.webs.com